Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Whole game spoilers: In Nahyuta's defense, he was being coerced until the final case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Whole game spoilers: In Nahyuta's defense, he was being coerced until the final case.

It really doesn't make much sense though: Why would he be exceedingly abrasive towards the defense, and pretend not to know Apollo? He has no reason to unless Ga'ran is physically watching him right there. He's rude because the writers wanted an antagonistic antagonist, and there's no better reason.

Well, I lied. There's a slightly better reason. He does say that he was lost in his despair and convinced himself nothing was ever going to change during the whole time he served under Ga'ran, which you can interpret to mean that he was resigning himself to acting the part. Still pretty flimsy though. And what's more the game's literally over by the time he gets over himself, so we get no chance to actually get to know him.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Amppelix posted:

It really doesn't make much sense though: Why would he be exceedingly abrasive towards the defense, and pretend not to know Apollo? He has no reason to unless Ga'ran is physically watching him right there. He's rude because the writers wanted an antagonistic antagonist, and there's no better reason.

Well, I lied. There's a slightly better reason. He does say that he was lost in his despair and convinced himself nothing was ever going to change during the whole time he served under Ga'ran, which you can interpret to mean that he was resigning himself to acting the part. Still pretty flimsy though. And what's more the game's literally over by the time he gets over himself, so we get no chance to actually get to know him.

That last part is exactly what I think the problem is. When the character was presented as a "last rites" prosecutor I got this sense of finality with him, but quickly felt this was a man who was completely hopeless. I don't know if you're a DC fan but there's a concept of an "anti-life equation" that eliminates all free will and hope, leaving some characters to behave in a similar fashion. "Let it go, and move on," and the only thing to move onto is death. By the time he's freed from that the game is done!

I think his abrasiveness to Apollo may be linked story-wise to the idea that "sons carry the sins of the fathers." Apollo wasn't a son by blood and was brought to America before he could be impacted further by Khu'rain's political BS. You could reach for the possibility of feelings of abandonment, but I think the writing was so focused on the Apollo-Dhurke relationship there was no room for further development with Nahyuta. I wonder if any further material got cut?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Amppelix posted:

Nahyuta really reminds me of Justine Courtney from AAI2. They both get their big redemption in case 5, but when you actually think about it that leaves the entire rest of the game where they've been a massive rear end in a top hat for basically no reason other than that the writers needed an antagonist who was satisfying to defeat.

You can even justify both of their cases with some mental gymnastics and liberal interpretation of the story but the game certainly isn't doing it for you. I think I like Justine a bit more though, probably because she gets to have some nice character moments in case 5 while Nahyuta has no such luxury.

That's because Justine was also a cool mom. Plus the last case in that game was SUPER long and she had started to come around in the case before it, so she had plenty of time to start being cool. Sad Monk didn't have that luxury. My big problem with Nahyuta was that he was also the prosecutor in the Japanifornia cases, which didn't make any sense. He also never reacted to the fact that he'd been proven wrong before. Beating him just wasn't satisfying because defeat just rolled off him. The only time I was glad to have him in Japanifornia was in case 4, and that was solely because Blackquil is awesome.

They should make the next game Athena-focused and have her face off against Prosecutor Newman. Have Sarge be her assistant.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Silver Falcon posted:

They should make the next game Athena-focused and have her face off against Prosecutor Newman. Have Sarge be her assistant.

If we're posting dream scenarios... (Spoils the status quo as of the end of AA6) Revisit Apollo in Khura'in for the next game's 6-4 equivalent (ie, filler). But since Nahyuta's busy as regent, and gently caress you Payne doesn't exist shut up let me have this, they've recruited an ex-prosecutor from Interpol to fill in. :getin: Franziska even has a logical motivation to want to face off against Apollo, having overcome Phoenix like Phoenix did Edgeworth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hope the next prosecutor is an angry grizzled ex-wrestler or something. I'm sick of these skinny young adults and teenagers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I hope the next prosecutor is an angry grizzled ex-wrestler or something. I'm sick of these skinny young adults and teenagers.

Blackquill was occasionally angry, also potentially grizzled. What a cool dude.

AlphaKretin posted:

If we're posting dream scenarios... (Spoils the status quo as of the end of AA6) Revisit Apollo in Khura'in for the next game's 6-4 equivalent (ie, filler). But since Nahyuta's busy as regent, and gently caress you Payne doesn't exist shut up let me have this, they've recruited an ex-prosecutor from Interpol to fill in. :getin: Franziska even has a logical motivation to want to face off against Apollo, having overcome Phoenix like Phoenix did Edgeworth.

What? Having her just show up in the filler case is a waste. Clearly in Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney, Franzy will be the main prosecutor. Building upon the obvious history Athena and Franziska must have, because who do you think Phoenix set Athena up with in Europe to teach her about the law??

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Blackquill was occasionally angry, also potentially grizzled. What a cool dude.

A grizzled skinny 28 year old.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Building upon the obvious history Athena and Franziska must have, because who do you think Phoenix set Athena up with in Europe to teach her about the law??

Professor Layton

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

Professor Layton

Obviously who Athena learnt psychology from, not law. After all, the human mind is basically just a very involved puzzle.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Terper posted:

Professor Layton

He was even a Defense Assistant and a Prosecutor before!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the comparison to Franziska for Nahyuta is apt, where he's not great as an antagonist, but now that he's had his arc, he has a high chance to be cool in future appearances.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

only if he gets prayer beads that dont ever break

holy mother that was so hard to watch each of the 4+ times it happened

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

AlphaKretin posted:

So I just replayed AA2 (well, case 4), and I forget, does the "Nick" Shelley calling card Franziska took actually come up when she returns in T&T? I don't remember it doing so.

Update, of a sort: The exact same design is reused on Maya's letter in 5-5, so that's something. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want a flashback case where Bobby and Gumshoe teach Emma the ropes.

The real Bobby before he was murdered :smith:

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Update, of a sort: The exact same design is reused on Maya's letter in 5-5, so that's something. :v:

Iirc, doesn't the 5-5 drawing include Phoenix's extra drooping hair spike?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Iirc, doesn't the 5-5 drawing include Phoenix's extra drooping hair spike?

Probably, and it's got to fill in where the shell was too, but it still feels like a call-back.

E: Haha, the anime cutscene says "Ohwagara Space Center"

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 8, 2016

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Lurdiak posted:

I want to see how Sebastian turned out.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just finished case 2.

It only just hit me how great "Child of Magic" really is.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Phoenix has literally ninja'd evidence now, the translation team has gone too far.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Amppelix posted:

Nahyuta really reminds me of Justine Courtney from AAI2. They both get their big redemption in case 5, but when you actually think about it that leaves the entire rest of the game where they've been a massive rear end in a top hat for basically no reason other than that the writers needed an antagonist who was satisfying to defeat.

You can even justify both of their cases with some mental gymnastics and liberal interpretation of the story but the game certainly isn't doing it for you. I think I like Justine a bit more though, probably because she gets to have some nice character moments in case 5 while Nahyuta has no such luxury.

This is an apt comparison, although Courtney flips character much earlier in the game, and from that point onward is pretty likable. It's hard to forget what she did before that point, but it makes SOME sense. Plus it's not like there was no reason to investigate Edgeworth. in plot terms, then, Justine and Nahyuta have a similar function, but one acted like an rear end in a top hat for a good reason, and one is an rear end in a top hat that was blackmailed into being even more of an rear end in a top hat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rayfa, I've told you a million times, no Power Stone cosplay at trials.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Justine was only mean to Edgeworth. She's not even comparable to Nahyuta; a dude who gets his rocks off sending people who are very likely innocent to their deaths.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Alright, I'm finally getting around to the climax of the DLC. I should be finishing it soon.

I am really bothered by the lack of music at times. There are points where it seems like Phoenix's Objection theme should be playing, but it's just empty silence.

Come to think of it, I don't recall that theme playing once this whole case.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Witness Testimony: Right to Remain Silent (Late DLC Spoilers)

:allears:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Alright, I'm finally getting around to the climax of the DLC. I should be finishing it soon.

I am really bothered by the lack of music at times. There are points where it seems like Phoenix's Objection theme should be playing, but it's just empty silence.

Come to think of it, I don't recall that theme playing once this whole case.

Same, but pursuit. I think pursuit only plays a grand total of twice in the case. The first time for a ridiculous reason, and the second where it cuts off a few textboxes later

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You're telling me that the only time Pursuit plays seriously is when Larry reveals that evidence? :psyduck:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Just finished Case 3 at last and jesus was the truth behind that one of the most depressing things. And as an added bonus, I do believe that was the first case of the main series where one of the victims was really a suicide. I didn't even figure it out until midway through the Thought Route, because of how unexpected it was for this series I'm kind of an idiot and it should've been more obvious once Puhray's real murder location was revealed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That was the the revisualization's truth? I figured that much out during the first day's investigation.

I didn't even realize it was supposed to be a twist.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dragonatrix posted:

Just finished Case 3 at last and jesus was the truth behind that one of the most depressing things. And as an added bonus, I do believe that was the first case of the main series where one of the victims was really a suicide. I didn't even figure it out until midway through the Thought Route, because of how unexpected it was for this series I'm kind of an idiot and it should've been more obvious once Puhray's real murder location was revealed.

You're forgetting Magnifi Gramarye

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And now I'm finally done with AA6.

Now I can get back to Gunvolt 2. And maybe someday I'll finally play a stage in Shovel Knight past the first one. :v:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You're forgetting Magnifi Gramarye

One thing I like about AA6 is returning to that element in Case 2 and saying "Yeah, all those Gramayres were colossal pricks. All of them."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Did Thalassa remember Jove? I can't recall if she did.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Did Thalassa remember Jove? I can't recall if she did.

She does when Phoenix shows her the picture of him after the credits.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Speaking of which, isn't she supposed to be blind? Or was it some sort of magic blindness that was cured when she got her memory back? Or did the writers just completely forget about it??

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Speaking of which, isn't she supposed to be blind? Or was it some sort of magic blindness that was cured when she got her memory back? Or did the writers just completely forget about it??

She had surgery to restore her eyesight during AJ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She had an operation after 4-3.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You're telling me that the only time Pursuit plays seriously is when Larry reveals that evidence? :psyduck:

Worse, Case 3 is extremely loving long and I don't think Pursuit plays a single time in Day 1. And then once in Day 2.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DLC Trial "Let it go, Mr. Edgeworth. It's clear you don't know much about flowers. It's not like you have anybody you'd actually give any to, after all."

Nick is loving savage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Worse, Case 3 is extremely loving long and I don't think Pursuit plays a single time in Day 1. And then once in Day 2.

That makes sense though because Case 3 Day 1 is very bad and you don't accomplish anything in it.