Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Also Archeops and the best pretty lady, Mega Diance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Dexie posted:

We're still missing...

Normal/Rock
Poison/Rock
Fighting/Rock
Electric/Rock
Ghost/Rock

...so yeah hopefully they're be taken from those.

A giant centipede and a sabertooth cat might be neat for Poison and Electric/Rock.

Straddling the dinosaur era with giant insects and mammals, as it were.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

Also Archeops and the best pretty lady, Mega Diance.

i forgot about mega diancie the god and good-looking-bad-bird

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Classtoise posted:

A giant centipede and a sabertooth cat might be neat for Poison and Electric/Rock.

A big centipede/Millipede is a great pokemon I didn't know I needed so bad. Scolipede doesnt count because.. he didn't occur to me at first, I want more.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Classtoise posted:

A sabertooth tiger sounds good, with that we'd finally be able to make the OG Megazord/Daizyuzin (Mamoswine evolving with AncientPower is close enough to fossil, right?)

edit: wait, the shield one from gen iv is not a triceratops. we're missing both legs

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 9, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Classtoise posted:

Grass/Rock fern

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The more I think about it the more I realize I don't really like that many Gen 3 pokemon. Slaking's cool tho

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Fellblade posted:

Right so not sure if I'll get any answers to this question here but going to go ahead anyway, playing battlespot doubles I've got a small set of mons I've bred up but I feel like I'm not quite understanding team composition. Probably a waste since Sun and Moon are coming out soon but I figure the general rules to this poo poo will still apply.

What I'm missing I'm not really sure, I generally try and take a team with 2 support/things with some speed control, 1 or 2 megas and general stuff for coverage on the other slots. I figure if I'm missing something you could point it out and or suggest a team composition that might work.

I wouldn't recommend trying to compose a team out of spare parts. I'm not saying that the pokemon you already have are bad, just that it's more important to have pokemon that work well together, than just throwing together whatever pokemon you have on hand that work. I would practice on a simulator and make adjustments to your team gradually, even if it means including pokemon you don't have yet.

That being said, Charizard-Y/Venusaur/Gyarados/Garchomp was a pretty solid core back when XY first came out and the rules didn't allow pokemon outside of the Kalos dex, but the metagame has changed a lot since then. I wouldn't get too caught up on assigning 'roles' to your pokemon (ie. support) it's more important to have good defensive type synergy and also make sure than no pokemon abolutely needs another pokemon to function. Co-dependency is a common trap for first time doubles team builders.

Also try not to get too attached to any one pokemon or strategy. For example, if you're using weather, you should still be able to win without it. [this statement does not apply to the 2016 VGC ruleset where you pretty much have to use Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza]

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 9, 2016

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

A sabertooth tiger sounds good, with that we'd finally be able to make the OG Megazord/Daizyuzin (Mamoswine evolving with AncientPower is close enough to fossil, right?)

edit: wait, the shield one from gen iv is not a triceratops. we're missing both legs

It's really cool that the Pokemon evolving with Ancient Power turn into prehistoric creatures.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Excuse me but we've already seen that they are dogs there was no dog in the original Power Rangers American Action Show :colbert:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

it's nice of mamoswine to be on a team full of losers that he can easily beat up

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ruggington posted:

it's nice of mamoswine to be on a team full of losers that he can easily beat up

speaking of which i should post in this thread more

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

please dont bully me

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
How viable is it to go through X/Y and ORAS with a full team of 100's from the promotions this year? I know they'll disobey half the time but I just wanna go through the story on each game before the new one comes out and I started X/Y a few months ago and got distracted after the second badge and just wanna plow through it this week. I was collecting every new pokemon that came along but I realized that was going to take too much time for me.

Anyway, should I just put together a team of mixed types from what I have now and push through with that or go the full 100's (and probably my fire starter)?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

embrace your inner 10 year old and use a single mega charizard

then mega blaziken

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you turn on experience share and just use the same monsters there's nothing you can't steamroll

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nitramster posted:

How viable is it to go through X/Y and ORAS with a full team of 100's from the promotions this year? I know they'll disobey half the time but I just wanna go through the story on each game before the new one comes out and I started X/Y a few months ago and got distracted after the second badge and just wanna plow through it this week. I was collecting every new pokemon that came along but I realized that was going to take too much time for me.

Anyway, should I just put together a team of mixed types from what I have now and push through with that or go the full 100's (and probably my fire starter)?

one level 100 pokemon would be functionally unkillable until maybe the e4 and ohko everything, so it's not like it matters if it doesn't listen to you half the time

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Nitramster posted:

Extremely frustrating. They really nerfed how often a Pokemon will obey you if you don't have the right badge back in Gen V. And it gets much worse if their level is much higher than the latest badge you got. You'll probably won't see them attack at all if you're going with 100s straight out of the gate.

Just go with a normal party and leave the EXP share on.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 10, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Trying to make a new doubles team. So far I'm intending on using Mega Diancie for offence, Volcarona for offence with redirection, Suicune and Latias for Tailwind support. I'm not sure what else would be good to use. Any suggestions? Maybe Bisharp?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nitramster posted:

If you just want to sleep walk through the main game just to be done with it, you're better off just powerlevelling your starter. It will always obey you and you'll be able to nuke pretty much everything. Just catch a couple throwaway guys to teach HMs to and you're golden.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The more I think about it the more I realize I don't really like that many Gen 3 pokemon. Slaking's cool tho

I find the opposite is true with me.

like: Sceptile, Mudkip, Swampert, Lotad, Ludicolo, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Nosepass, Mawile, Sableye, Zigzagoon, Taillow, Swellow, Pelipper, Shroomish, Breloom, Whismur, Loudred, Exploud, Makuhita, Hariyama, Aron, Lairon, Aggron, Gulpin, Swalot, Wailmer, Wailord, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Spoink, Grumpig, Torkoal, Camerupt, Trapinch, Flygon, Cacnea, Cacturne, Swablu, Altaria, Zangoose, Seviper, Lunatone, Whiscash, Corphish, Crawdaunt, Cradily, Armaldo, Banette, Tropius, Absol, Snorunt, Glalie, Spheal, Relicanth, Salamence, Metagross.

and there's very few outright misses. Maybe I'm biased because Gen III was really My Generation, more than the others. Gen II was the first one I played, but Gen III was when the games took primacy over everything else about the franchise. and, I think Hoenn at the time had a deeper, more interesting range of features and climates, and a much better level curve, and a much better range of available Pokemon. I still remember encountering an Aron and realizing you could get a strong, tanky Steel type THAT early. I remember first running into Tropius. I remember dominating contests with my beautiful Torkoal and my cool Castform.

maybe that nostalgia is why I haven't actually bought or played ORAS yet. I'm afraid it'll ruin my memories, that it won't be as good as it was.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Spatula City posted:

I find the opposite is true with me.

like: Sceptile, Mudkip, Swampert, Lotad, Ludicolo, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Nosepass, Mawile, Sableye, Zigzagoon, Taillow, Swellow, Pelipper, Shroomish, Breloom, Whismur, Loudred, Exploud, Makuhita, Hariyama, Aron, Lairon, Aggron, Gulpin, Swalot, Wailmer, Wailord, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Spoink, Grumpig, Torkoal, Camerupt, Trapinch, Flygon, Cacnea, Cacturne, Swablu, Altaria, Zangoose, Seviper, Lunatone, Whiscash, Corphish, Crawdaunt, Cradily, Armaldo, Banette, Tropius, Absol, Snorunt, Glalie, Spheal, Relicanth, Salamence, Metagross.

and there's very few outright misses. Maybe I'm biased because Gen III was really My Generation, more than the others. Gen II was the first one I played, but Gen III was when the games took primacy over everything else about the franchise. and, I think Hoenn at the time had a deeper, more interesting range of features and climates, and a much better level curve, and a much better range of available Pokemon. I still remember encountering an Aron and realizing you could get a strong, tanky Steel type THAT early. I remember first running into Tropius. I remember dominating contests with my beautiful Torkoal and my cool Castform.

maybe that nostalgia is why I haven't actually bought or played ORAS yet. I'm afraid it'll ruin my memories, that it won't be as good as it was.

The gen did have good pokemon. But with ORAS being post XY, I don't feel its that great and actually kind of boring. I know fashion was the biggest thing I missed, but pretty sure there were other features that they introduced but removed for nostalgia. But I guess in your case, ORAS should still be fine to play and enjoy. It has a lot of great pokemon and I had the same feeling about Aron. His big ol head is adorable.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

speaking of which i should post in this thread more

Because you are the loser right

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

No that's me.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I really wish event Legendaries came in a lower level.

I'd love to be able to run through a game with a Victini or a Celebi in my team.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
In B/W you could get a 20 Victini I think? It was like some event thing, I remember getting it and using it for about half the gyms and just replacing it

Pixie legendaries aren't that interesting to be fair, except Jirachi

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah Victini had an in-game event you unlocked with a ticket, placed in and appropriately levelled for Castelia.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

In HG/SS you could get Dialga, Palkia, or Giratina at lv1 if you had an event Arceus. Early enough on that the low level wasn't too bad too

But it would feel weird having one of them as a long term team member

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Now that I think about it... is Victini the only event legendary with an in-game event that we got his event for? like, everyone else was just via the legendary being handed to us despite a whole even being made for them.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I thought Darkrai and Shaymin happened in some capacity, it was mainly just the Azura Flute that got snubbed? I know in Gen 3 the opposite Lati- was an E-Reader card, so that, uh, technically got distributed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Now that I think about it... is Victini the only event legendary with an in-game event that we got his event for? like, everyone else was just via the legendary being handed to us despite a whole even being made for them.

There were a couple in Gen III, such as Deoxys. There was technically Celebi in Gen II, but only if you lived in Japan.

I think Gen V only had the Victini, which was the last event like that. Everything else aside from that was just handed to you.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

they only started really loving up with that midway through Gen IV. The Deoxys event happened. Jirachi never had an in-game event. Shaymin and Darkrai also both happened. but the Arceus cockup probably soured them on making the event legendaries really integrated into the game. So in BW they had things you could do with the event legendaries once you had them, with Keldeo having an exclusive move, Meloetta having a form activated by an exclusive move, and Genesect having that drive thing. with XY the event legendaries now seem mostly detached from the game, and I don't know what the point even is with them. I appreciate that Deoxys is no longer an event legendary, and I hope Sun/Moon resolves the problem with the rest in some way. at least there will be legit Mews everywhere thanks to VC Red/Blue and PokeBank.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGs-ZSyBykQ

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i just caught a modest reshiram in a premier ball :3:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Go back and recatch it in a less fancy ball, you're embarrassing it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
nope now i need a zekrom in a luxury ball

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, next time you play ORAS, give Glalie a shot. It learns Freeze-Dry soon after it evolves, which is REAL fuckin useful for all the water routes you go through. Never has one shotting Gyarados and Ludicolo been so fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Crosspeice posted:

Oh yeah, next time you play ORAS, give Glalie a shot. It learns Freeze-Dry soon after it evolves, which is REAL fuckin useful for all the water routes you go through. Never has one shotting Gyarados and Ludicolo been so fun.

On the other hand, going to the effort to catch a Snorunt and not immediately evolving it into a Frosslass. :colbert: