Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

IAmTheRad posted:

Also A15 was released really quickly after A14.

This was the biggest one. They only make API changes in sync with RimWorld version updates (so that there aren't compatibility issues within alpha versions), and the changes coming with A15 weren't ready when A15 was released. The other major issue was that the CCL team only has one really strong coder that could make sense of the decompiled iterators, (a number of which are detoured and so need to be re-analyzed for every RimWorld version update), and he's apparently been super busy. I've mostly fixed this problem for future versions by putting together a modified ILSpy that can decompile Mono iterators pretty well, but it was too late for A15. Also, most mod dependencies on the CCL are for one very small, easy to maintain part of it, so they're planning to split that out into a separate mod package for future versions.

For A15, I've been working with Skullywag trying to figure out the issue vaguely mentioned in 100101's post there (all constructions cost the same amount), but unfortunately we haven't been able to reproduce it, or even talk to anyone who's able to reproduce it (100101 hasn't been around).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Go juice is the poo poo. Mediocre doctors become flawless surgeons, mediocre shooters become devastatingly accurate kiting death machines.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Started a new game since A12... wow it goes way slower now that everything requires components.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Waiting for A17 when all the abrasive colonists can post on social media about political correctness.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bisonbison posted:

Waiting for A17 when all the abrasive colonists can post on social media about political correctness.

"Wanderer joins" replaced with "SJW joins"

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Azhais posted:

"Wanderer joins" replaced with "SJW joins"

Then the pregenerated gamergate characters get into an in game slap fight to tantrum spiral your colony

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Oh yeah I also had a weird thing happen in my current game...

So the recurring sex slave Emmie pretty much always shows up in my games, and always shows up as an old lady for some reason as well. In my current game she's 57 or so. I also have one random other person who is tagged as a night person, so I have them sleep in the day and work at night.

One day, Emmie has a heart attack. She didn't have any artery blockages or anything and it's pretty early game, so I shrug and tell her to rest in my one awful quality bed tagged for medical. She makes it most of the way there, and then suddenly decides she's fine and it was all just gas or something. However, now my night person is pissed off they're staying up late and Emmie is now a night person.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I should start playing rimworld again. Is there a way to turn off backer pawns?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

All pacifists get to wear personal shields and distract enemies by being put where they're most tempting targets. Oh you thought you could get out of combat by refusing to fight? You're just making it harder on yourself.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

wiegieman posted:

I should start playing rimworld again. Is there a way to turn off backer pawns?

Ah fine, sure.

No backer character spawns
Disables all backer character spawning

Genderless backer character spawns
Removes the gender check from backer character spawning. You'll get unusual name-gender combos but it will expand the female backer character spawn options so you won't keep seeing the same 6 ones over and over again.

disclaimer: I've spent all of 3 minutes testing between the two of these.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

nvm

Garfu fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 9, 2016

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

lazorexplosion posted:

All pacifists get to wear personal shields and distract enemies by being put where they're most tempting targets. Oh you thought you could get out of combat by refusing to fight? You're just making it harder on yourself.

This is a great idea and I feel tremendous shame for not thinking of it earlier, in my colony with 2/7 pacifists.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

first game I've managed to make it past winter!

but randy loving tried. raid on the east side of the map, and at the same time, boomrat maneater on the west

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I had a very mature colony and one of my pawns was constantly hitting on married ladies, and then another survivor joined with the same problem. Even after installing a drugged rib, they were both getting constant near major break downs. So I popped on developer mode, changed them to bisexual and added them as being in a relationship together. One problem solved cause gently caress that noise. My number of breakdowns dropped immensely.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Babe Magnet posted:

first game I've managed to make it past winter!

but randy loving tried. raid on the east side of the map, and at the same time, boomrat maneater on the west

That sounds like a pair of problems that would cancel eachother out.

Also, does it bother anyone else that 'gay' is a trait? I use prepare carefully a lot, and I hate having to spend a trait slot on it if I want to make a planet of fabulously beautiful bloodhungry cyborgs.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If they spawned on the same map edge they would swiftly deal with each other, but they spawned on opposite edges and they moved to convene in the middle where all my dudes are lol

I basically let the raiders destroy a bunch of my poo poo while I dealt with the boomrats, and managed to run over and kill enough to cause them to flee before they ruined too much of my stuff

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shirec posted:

I had a very mature colony and one of my pawns was constantly hitting on married ladies, and then another survivor joined with the same problem. Even after installing a drugged rib, they were both getting constant near major break downs. So I popped on developer mode, changed them to bisexual and added them as being in a relationship together. One problem solved cause gently caress that noise. My number of breakdowns dropped immensely.

The mood drops because of romance is absolutely insane. They never learn their lesson, never stop and the effect loving stacks.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Katsuma posted:

That sounds like a pair of problems that would cancel eachother out.

Also, does it bother anyone else that 'gay' is a trait? I use prepare carefully a lot, and I hate having to spend a trait slot on it if I want to make a planet of fabulously beautiful bloodhungry cyborgs.

Yeah it seems like if romantic relationships are going to be a thing in the game, and there's going to be determined sexual preferences involved, then every pawn should just have a sexual preference category apart from the Traits list.

Also, if romantic relationships are going to be a thing in the game, people need to stop being driven to/past the breaking point by getting rejected. It's like every one of the pawns is me :emo:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I like that people get super angst about hitting on each other repeatedly, helps flesh out mood and social interaction as something you have to pay attention to.

If two people really don't get along, it helps to set one of them to sleep during the day so they don't tread on each other as much, or move their work bench to a different room, or just set them to drink beer and smoke weed until they mellow out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

lazorexplosion posted:

I like that people get super angst about hitting on each other repeatedly, helps flesh out mood and social interaction as something you have to pay attention to.

If two people really don't get along, it helps to set one of them to sleep during the day so they don't tread on each other as much, or move their work bench to a different room, or just set them to drink beer and smoke weed until they mellow out.

the largest problem is that the moodlet stacks for being rejected multiple times by the same person. if someone's a horndog and hits on everything that moves, then yeah, sure, it's reasonable to have a big crash when you realize you ain't hot poo poo. that's fine. but when someone flirts 4 times in 4 hours (i had this happen during a mining job i assigned) then that's a big problem that you have virtually no control over.

refreshing the moodlet, sure; if someone keeps asking and getting rejected every day, then yeah, sure, i can feel them being in a perennially grouchy mood. but flirting 4 times in an hour, getting shot down, and then being driven to the breaking point because of it is dumb as hell.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Leal posted:

The mood drops because of romance is absolutely insane. They never learn their lesson, never stop and the effect loving stacks.

Sounds pretty realistic to me.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Coolguye posted:

the largest problem is that the moodlet stacks for being rejected multiple times by the same person. if someone's a horndog and hits on everything that moves, then yeah, sure, it's reasonable to have a big crash when you realize you ain't hot poo poo. that's fine. but when someone flirts 4 times in 4 hours (i had this happen during a mining job i assigned) then that's a big problem that you have virtually no control over.

refreshing the moodlet, sure; if someone keeps asking and getting rejected every day, then yeah, sure, i can feel them being in a perennially grouchy mood. but flirting 4 times in an hour, getting shot down, and then being driven to the breaking point because of it is dumb as hell.

I don't think you're meant to have perfect control to eliminate every possible bad thing happening. Sometimes someone goes on the worst possible hitting on people spree and drives themselves nuts, sometimes your favorite colonist in cover in the dark gets hit in the eye and gets brain damage, sometimes a raid happens in the middle of a solar flare, sometimes the poison ship lands right on top of your crops... Bad poo poo is meant to happen. Making it so no one ever stacks enough debuffs to go nuts from social interactions is essentially making social interactions completely neutered and pointless.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Like the game pops up a warning that they have a break risk, you had four in game hours to take note, pause, investigate the problem and pull the miserable dude out of the dark, hideous environment with the person making upset to send him off for some bonus joy time and maybe a beer or two to recover while you change their schedules to meet less. And instead you did nothing and got punished for it and now you want to make the game never punish you for not fixing obvious problems.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I mean, I guess it just seems moderately silly to living human beings that humanlike characters would become so distraught over repeated rejections that they just wander aimlessly out into the snow, shedding all of their clothing.

Or maybe it seems moderately silly that someone would hit on someone who obviously isn't interested four times in four hours, but since this describes a pretty mild weird-customer interaction from my retail days it seems less likely, a contributing factor at best.

The social interactions are for the most part ignorable, other than the occasional big stack of Goon Romance debuffs, contained in their own tab in the character window, so it's pretty reasonable that people would be aggravated when our only real interaction with it is fighting the one really irritating edge case?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I've had two pawns with a -10 from being rebuffed by each other at the same time, how the hell does that even happen. It would be nice if they just wouldn't hit on the pawn they have the rejection debuff from.

What I find really annoying about the system is checking a pawn who's about to break and realising that literally all your work on keeping your pawns happy amounted to nothing. Three very impressive dining rooms to choose from in the base, they decided they were hungry when they were outside. Spending double food on lavish meals, they ate one of the survival meals a siege left behind. An extremely impressive rec room, they went cloudwatching today.

It's why I basically pour all my resources into nice bedrooms for pawns because it's the one consistent buff you can give them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LonsomeSon posted:

Or maybe it seems moderately silly that someone would hit on someone who obviously isn't interested four times in four hours,

M'pawn

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Dire Lemming posted:

I've had two pawns with a -10 from being rebuffed by each other at the same time, how the hell does that even happen. It would be nice if they just wouldn't hit on the pawn they have the rejection debuff from.

Maybe they're just awkward and had one of those terrible dates where both people are attracted to each other but they both think it's not reciprocated. Don't judge.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah the romance stuff is downright annoying. Normal people don't hit on the same person repeatedly only to get rejected again and again and then go outside and strip because of how sad they are. Not everyone in the world is a weirdo goon.

also yeah homosexuality should probably not be a trait and should probably just be a separate system, like gently caress maybe put pawns on the kinsey scale or something.

Guildencrantz posted:

Maybe they're just awkward and had one of those terrible dates where both people are attracted to each other but they both think it's not reciprocated. Don't judge.

p.sure this has happened to me before so that part is actually highly realistic

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So I finally figured out the thing that was bothering me the most in my transition from years of Dwarf Fortress to Rimworld

I miss rivers...

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Finally!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=776679895

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Guildencrantz posted:

Oh yeah I get how it could happen, but the -10 means that it happened twice which is a special kind of sad.

Slime posted:

Yeah the romance stuff is downright annoying. Normal people don't hit on the same person repeatedly only to get rejected again and again and then go outside and strip because of how sad they are. Not everyone in the world is a weirdo goon.

Maybe we should just fully embrace the fact that everyone in the future is a weirdo goon. Add a trait called "Nice Guy" only ever hits on Beautiful colonists but getting rejected is an immediate mental break.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

lazorexplosion posted:

I don't think you're meant to have perfect control to eliminate every possible bad thing happening. Sometimes someone goes on the worst possible hitting on people spree and drives themselves nuts, sometimes your favorite colonist in cover in the dark gets hit in the eye and gets brain damage, sometimes a raid happens in the middle of a solar flare, sometimes the poison ship lands right on top of your crops... Bad poo poo is meant to happen. Making it so no one ever stacks enough debuffs to go nuts from social interactions is essentially making social interactions completely neutered and pointless.

so now you're comparing psi-ship landings, homicidal raids, solar flares, and volcanic loving winter to it being a societal norm that you get suicidally depressed because you got rejected 4 times at dinner by the same person?

:cmon:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
My favourite mental break is binging on food because they're hungry.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Walton Simons posted:

My favourite mental break is binging on food because they're hungry.

Binging on food because they just ate cooked cannibalism.

All the prepared meals they just shoved down their throat were also human flesh.

:psyduck:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Babe Magnet posted:

So I finally figured out the thing that was bothering me the most in my transition from years of Dwarf Fortress to Rimworld

I miss rivers...

Just mod in maneating carp

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

lazorexplosion posted:

Like the game pops up a warning that they have a break risk, you had four in game hours to take note, pause, investigate the problem and pull the miserable dude out of the dark, hideous environment with the person making upset to send him off for some bonus joy time and maybe a beer or two to recover while you change their schedules to meet less. And instead you did nothing and got punished for it and now you want to make the game never punish you for not fixing obvious problems.

I had this dude on a constant regimen of beer and smokeleaf just to keep him from food binging and wandering. He literally couldn't be around a female pawn and not hit on her, so he had three constant stacked debuffs at least. So I had him surrounded by luxury, a drugged rib, eating lavish meals, and a joy filled schedule, and he still had breakdowns from being a weirdo as soon as any sort of event happened. The idea of having two of those was so unfun to contemplate, so I fixed the problem.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I miss rivers...

There's a mod for that!

Sort of, anyways: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751887749

In addition to a fuckton of trees, this mod'll also add a bunch of snakey river-like water features to Temperate Forest maps on mapgen.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's pretty sick but I'm not feeling the trees. That's just way too dense.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Ends up being a moot point once you've had a few dry thunderstorms, or a poison ship or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Babe Magnet posted:

There is another solution. :supaburn: