Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A friend of mine is talking about how he likes the look of PT Cruisers. How do I tell him he's wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A friend of mine is talking about how he likes the look of PT Cruisers. How do I tell him he's wrong?
With hollow points.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

With a hammer.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

My fantastic wife got me a kickin rad birthday present

I call it the stormtrooper and it sounds loving great! It's got EMG 81 and 85 pickups in it, hardtail string-through-body and neck through body as well. It wasn't that much money, but I seriously have more fun playing this pretty-rear end Jackson than I do my 1999 American Standard Strat. :allears: That's my 99 vintage RG 7421 (with only 6 strings on it :rolleye:)in the background and my 2003 Pod XT I use to play silently next to it.

This bad motherfucker sounds 100% accurate to most older Metallica. I know Jackson were the go-to guitars for both Dave Mustaine and Randy Rhoads back in the day. I can knock out some pretty badass metal with this thing. I love it so much. :black101:

E: what it looks like now when I turn around after shitposting on these here forums. That's an Ibanez S series, heavily modified for EMG 707s

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 9, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Steal his white stick

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I got this strange bottle of green fluid from a friend of mine the other day, and I decided to make a label for it.

(Milk works great as a label adhesive that's easy to remove when you reuse the bottle)

Homemade absinthe, made from triple distilled and carbon filtered grain alcohol, with an herb infusion added afterwards. I know it's not the "proper way" to make absinthe, but it's good enough for me, and it goes down so smooth, despite being ~87% ABV. I would imagine it's kinda dangerous if you don't watch your intake. Good stuff.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KozmoNaut posted:

I decided to make a label for it.

absinthe

I read the label initially as rear end IN THE and couldn't figure out if the picture was supposed to complete the phrase.

We're flying home today from Portland. It's been a nice visit with the inlaws. I'll be very happy to turn in this Dodge Grand Caravan. What a piece of poo poo. Of all the mini vans you could buy, why would anyone choose this?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A friend of mine

Olympic Mathlete posted:

likes the look of PT Cruisers.

Does not compute.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It's the cheapest?

You want to buy American?

Who even makes mini vans anymore? I think Honda and Toyota still do.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ask him if he is off his meds?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Have you heard the word of our Lord and savior Slow Cooker?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Why not use the right tool, the oven? Uneven browning

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

Why not use the right tool, the oven? Uneven browning

Yeah, baking's extremely easy and it won't leave the middle rolls raw-looking.

Slow cookers own for all sorts of other stuff though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I'm having severe automotive ADD.

Between 10 and 20k. Manual. Prefer 01-08. Rear or AWD.

Had a Z06 get sold out from under me, an M3 that the guy wouldn't answer his phone, and now a CTS-V that the owner is also a flake about the phone.

Any other options you guys can think of? I'd considered WRX...but they're really goddamn fragile, and tend to be horrifically abused. And frankly not that fast, and gas mileage is horrid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Uh. Router is taking a shiy, laptop is dying, 10 month old phone is having wifi issues.

I hate technology.

And I'm paying for 105mps down and getting 10. UGH.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Rhyno posted:

And I'm paying for 105mps down and getting 10. UGH.

I had this kinda problem when twc upgraded me from 50 down to 300 down. Turns out the modem/router I had only supported 8 channels and needed 16 to grab the right speeds.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah, baking's extremely easy and it won't leave the middle rolls raw-looking.

Slow cookers own for all sorts of other stuff though.

If/When I move out and have only one piece of cooking equipment, it's going to be my rice cooker* slow cooker. Those cinnamon buns look delicious, if uneven. I don't think the middle is raw, instead it looks like the outside is a little crunchy, but that's it. Yes, baking is better, but college student / poor dude: yeah, I can get behind it.

*a rice cooker is just a fancy, uninsulated slow cooker with a "fast" setting, and it's what I have. I use my rice cooker as a slow cooker, it's just less efficient.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Devyl posted:

I had this kinda problem when twc upgraded me from 50 down to 300 down. Turns out the modem/router I had only supported 8 channels and needed 16 to grab the right speeds.

My modem/router worked fine two weeks ago, I'm hoping it's the source of my problems.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

My friend took his 2015 Tacoma 4x4 to the dealer to have it's recommended 15,000 mile differential oil service done. The tech was all "Ehhh, you don't need to do that unless you're doing 4x4 or towing". He's done some 4x4 and said yeah, he wanted it because it's his baby and he's OCD. They quoted him $180 per diff and as they were talking he watched another tech drive a Tundra out of the bay and smash the entire passenger side against a pylon. He left immediately while laughing as the Tundra owner shrieked helplessly.

I told him no worries, I'd help him do it and he could know it was done right. $70 on Amazon for 6qts Mobile1 gear oil and a crush washer set - we did both diffs and the transfer case in an hour. The front diff skidplate bolts are made of cheese and we hosed up the threading on one hole, but even after adding another $10 for a M8x1.25 tap and new bolts he came out way ahead. He's sworn off the dealer forever, so I feel happy to have converted someone else to self-maintenance.

We even found a bonus fist-sized rock that was hanging out inside the skid from a offroad trip we took in March :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yes, baking is better, but college student / poor dude: yeah, I can get behind it.

Single person household, limited budget - you're pretty much the target market for toaster ovens.

Rhyno posted:

My modem/router worked fine two weeks ago, I'm hoping it's the source of my problems.

Do you own it or are you leasing from your ISP? If its the former its probably the first thing their tech will blame. To the point of not doing anything else until they've replaced your modem with their own and provisioned it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Geoj posted:

Single person household, limited budget - you're pretty much the target market for toaster ovens.

Also that. I've got the biggest one I could find, fits a 12" frozen pizza, and uses way less electricity than heating the big oven.

But I can't easily make spaghetti sauce in a toaster oven without buying expensive ceramics that fit.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Geoj posted:

Do you own it or are you leasing from your ISP? If its the former its probably the first thing their tech will blame. To the point of not doing anything else until they've replaced your modem with their own and provisioned it.

Having worked for an ISP full-time for over a year, that's because it's usually your loving modem that's the problem. They have full-on TDR line tests and all kinds of other diagnostics they can run remotely to rule out anything external to the customer premises and if we're talking cable modems it's even easier to tell if the issue is the modem or not by checking if literally anyone else on the same node is still online.

"But it worked fine for 3 years! why would it suddenly die now?" BECAUSE IT WORKED FINE FOR THREE YEARS AND THAT IS HOW LONG THEY LAST

E: Oh yeah and the other reason we like to replace the modem before we send out a tech? New modem costs us $25-50 depending on technology type to send out/remotely provision. Tech visit costs us a minimum of $175, generally (may be lower in the US). With many ISPs, the cost of sending a tech out (between the call center rep's time and tech visit/visits) might be over 4 months worth of profits while a modem will probably be paid back in one, and half the time we get to charge you for it.

If the external line testing shows nothing on DSL, and it's a single user fault, it's almost always either the cabling inside the house or the modem, and 90% of the time it's the modem.

Modem also takes a day or two to replace. Tech visit takes a week+ to organize.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 10, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

literally a fish posted:

Having worked for an ISP full-time for over a year, that's because it's usually your loving modem that's the problem. They have full-on TDR line tests and all kinds of other diagnostics they can run remotely to rule out anything external to the customer premises and if we're talking cable modems it's even easier to tell if the issue is the modem or not by checking if literally anyone else on the same node is still online.

"But it worked fine for 3 years! why would it suddenly die now?" BECAUSE IT WORKED FINE FOR THREE YEARS AND THAT IS HOW LONG THEY LAST

Or they have line trouble and prefer to blame CPE, especially when the customer owns it.

Went back and forth with TWC for four months, including having four of their leased modems all exhibiting the same problem my personally owned modem had (only maintaining a connection for 15-20 minutes before looping resets for an hour or more.) Every tech they dispatched said the line tested fine and it had to be the modem, until the last one ran new coax from the pole to the box on my house, then magically the problem went away - even when using my own modem that was declared defective before the first tech even had time to look at the cable running in from the pole, much less run any actual tests on it.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Geoj posted:

Or they have line trouble and prefer to blame CPE, especially when the customer owns it.

Went back and forth with TWC for four months, including having four of their leased modems all exhibiting the same problem my personally owned modem had (only maintaining a connection for 15-20 minutes before looping resets for an hour or more.) Every tech they dispatched said the line tested fine and it had to be the modem, until the last one ran new coax from the pole to the box on my house, then magically the problem went away - even when using my own modem that was declared defective before the first tech even had time to look at the cable running in from the pole, much less run any actual tests on it.

oh so what you mean to say is that the problem was with the copper line on your premises, huh?

literally a fish posted:

They have full-on TDR line tests and all kinds of other diagnostics they can run remotely to rule out anything external to the customer premises and if we're talking cable modems it's even easier to tell if the issue is the modem or not by checking if literally anyone else on the same node is still online.

If the external line testing shows nothing on DSL, and it's a single user fault, it's almost always either the cabling inside the house [edit: i.e. anything specific to your premises] or the modem, and 90% of the time it's the modem.

That's a failure of the techs to replace the premises-specific wiring, and an issue with tech training. Not "preferring to blame CPE".

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

literally a fish posted:

oh so what you mean to say is that the problem was with the copper line on your premises, huh?

Are you suggesting I should have gone to the hardware store, bought my own spool of RG-6 and climbed the pole to make a new run from the end of the block to the gray box on my house? Last time I checked that can get you arrested for attempting to steal utilities...

literally a fish posted:

That's a failure of the techs to replace the premises-specific wiring, and an issue with tech training. Not "preferring to blame CPE".

Having the same issue after the CPE was replaced five times (once for my personally owned modem, then four more times with their units) all exhibiting the same exact problem without resolution, and having 4/5 techs sent out blame the modem shortly after arrival (as in, before they even pulled their tools out of the back of their vans) isn't blaming CPE?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
It's LaF. If he can blame a consumer and even better an American one for any issue, he will.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

Oh yeah we own it. Comcast's rental fees were insane, I did the math and 6 months worth paid for this unit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The number of times we have wanted to murder ISP's insisting it was our modem when their loving DSLAM or similar had hosed up or upstream copper..... vastly outnumber modem failures.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

literally a fish posted:

A lot of the techs are third party contractors who get paid per job, not per hour, so the techs want to GTFO as quickly as possible. This is more of an issue with cable than it is with FTTH or DSL though. As much as I hate on Frontier (who handles DSL and fiber here), the techs going out to a customer are almost always company employees. Time Warner, Charter, Comcast, etc pretty much always sends a third party tech out.

Also, anything outside of the building is considered the ISP/telco/cable company's problem here. So running a new line from the pole is very much not a CPE issue, as the provider owns the pole, and the line up to the building, along with the DMARC attached to the building. CPE starts at the connection from inside wiring to the DMARC. In fact you're opening yourself up to a theft of services charge if you even think about going up a pole, along with liability for anything you might damage (such as your neighbor's connection.. or a fiber run to city hall that happens to be on that pole).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
What LaF said is that they can test fine up until the pole, and anything beyond that is commonly the modem. An anecdote about bad wiring and a repeated failure to diagnose that properly doesn't invalidate his point. As he said, at that points its a training issue with the tech to properly diagnose it.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Hopping off internet tech support chat, I've discovered my basement has become a haven for wolf spiders. I found out by being awoken by a loud, shrill scream from the gf. Thinking someone broke in the house, I grab my nearest weapon and head down into the basement. I clear the stairs and head down. I see her standing there shaking and just pointing. I look around and HOLY poo poo there's about 40 spiders of various sizes just chilling out on some of the walls.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

A lot of the techs are third party contractors who get paid per job, not per hour, so the techs want to GTFO as quickly as possible. This is more of an issue with cable than it is with FTTH or DSL though. As much as I hate on Frontier (who handles DSL and fiber here), the techs going out to a customer are almost always company employees. Time Warner, Charter, Comcast, etc pretty much always sends a third party tech out.

Also, anything outside of the building is considered the ISP/telco/cable company's problem here. So running a new line from the pole is very much not a CPE issue, as the provider owns the pole, and the line up to the building, along with the DMARC attached to the building. CPE starts at the connection from inside wiring to the DMARC. In fact you're opening yourself up to a theft of services charge if you even think about going up a pole, along with liability for anything you might damage (such as your neighbor's connection.. or a fiber run to city hall that happens to be on that pole).

The odds of someone actually giving a poo poo that you're climbing a telephone pole enough to call in is effectively zero. Any even vauge threats of being charged for cable theft will come from a company tech spotting your line hooked up illegally while servicing another line. And it is almost always obvious as poo poo when someone does it themselves because its the wrong fittings, splitter with the wrong gauge wire leading to it with a proper line and your line being fed while there are open taps, a stripped wire jammed into an open tap or clear identifiers like color coded tags indicating the status of that line missing. Dallas itself I'm not sure of, but most of the western half of DFW was pink tags for disconnected, white for legal connections. All of these are piss easy to get around if you do it properly, boxes are simple to break into, all the tamper proof disconnect items are easy as gently caress to get past if you know how and company techs are rarely on poles unless someone is having issues in the area. A large number of contractors will also do hookups for weed, cash, a bottle of booze, sex, etc.

My dad was a cable tech (for a third party contractor) for 30+ years and from when I was around 14 on, I would generally be the one on the ladder doing the work while he did paperwork so we could get done and home faster. I never got someone asking what I was doing on a telephone pole, but I get plenty of people offering me a quick $50 or a half an ounce to hook them up with free cable. Never took them up on it though, my dad getting in trouble wasn't worth it. Contractors got hosed hard enough as is by the various cable companies, he didn't me messing things up. Plenty of his coworkers did though, since one illegal hookup would make you 5-10x more than the disconnect you just did for the company. And if they spotted a well done illegal hookup, they would often leave it, because it wouldn't be causing problems and was likely another contractor responsible for it.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 10, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh I didn't say anyone would give two shits. :v: In fact, like you say, so long as it's done properly and isn't causing signal issues, I doubt anybody would touch it. But you never know when a goody two shoes will come along.

Western DFW - Tarrant and much of Denton counties - have been Charter for the past decade, while Dallas and Collin have been TWC. Of course, they're merged now, but still operating as separate entities for the time being.

TWC has largely gone to SDV, at least out here, so even bribing a cable tech to hook up your line won't get you very far these days. You'd get a handful of channels - mostly local stuff I think. I'll have to hook my tv up to the wall and see what comes in, but last time I tried 99% of the channels showed this:

I shouldn't have any traps on my line, since I technically have local channels and a digital adapter (but my antenna pulls in more channels.... dropping cable tomorrow). So we'll see what pops up.

Also, whatever contractor hooked my parents house back up to TWC several years ago can eat a dick. He/she not only dug up the fiber for the FiOS system, but cut the fiber, then ran new coax through the fiber conduit. :argh: That was a massive pain in the rear end to get fixed and resulted in Verizon having to dig up the (paved) alley.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My point of reference ends around 2006/7, since thats when I moved to florida, with my dad breaking his leg in a motor cycle accident shortly afterwards and out of work since. Before that, it was a mix of comcast, charter and time warner, so its hard to keep it all straight. They mostly used the exact same systems with the same hardware though. They were constantly buying and selling areas to each other through the 20+ years previous to that with few changes though.

And its unlikely you would have traps on your line anymore, they were phasing it out before I moved. My dad had been hording traps in his garage expecting a trap pull, and wound up with a couple nice paychecks after they implemented the one in grand prarie. The only remaining ones were to filter all cable signals or internet, and even then they were moving to use activation signals or just going gently caress it and skipping traps period. They didn't play well with the increased voltage when cable phone service started entering the area. Sticking a terminator with a pin in it into a hot phone port on a tap was always a fun experience with lots of smoke and it firing the pin out. And getting nailed with 90+ volts unexpectedly.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it was knight that hosed it up that bad. They are the were always the laziest and most incompetent fucks outside of actual company techs. Always so much butchery to clean up after whatever company would switch their contracts around every 6 months.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

ilkhan posted:

What LaF said is that they can test fine up until the pole, and anything beyond that is commonly the modem. An anecdote about bad wiring and a repeated failure to diagnose that properly doesn't invalidate his point. As he said, at that points its a training issue with the tech to properly diagnose it.

Thankyou :sun:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
gently caress today. Get out to my car after a 10 hour shift, hmm that tyre looks a little low. All the petrol stations are are on the wrong side of the highway of course. Nevermind, drive to the closest one, discover their air is out-of-order. Drive further. Check tyre. 13psi. It dropped 4psi in the time it took me to top the others off. Guess I'm changing a tyre tomorrow before work. Get home, discover my growler has spilled beer over the rear footwell ensuring my car will smell like loving stale beer for the next week. Eat a big old bag of dicks Monday.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
To be fair, if it was a growler, the beer was already stale.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit. Pham was right. :sigh:

Fell asleep with my phone in my pocket. Guess I rolled over on it and tweaked it... still works, except both volume buttons are jammed now. Makes it a hell of a lot of fun to get it to restart since it keeps trying to go into recovery unless I gently caress with the buttons juuuuust right.

At least it's rooted, so I was able to go into the keyboard map and comment out the volume buttons. So once it's past the boot loader, it ignores them. Pisses me off though, now I have to either tear into the thing myself or pay someone to fix it. Or just leave the volume buttons disabled... I've only had the drat thing for 6 weeks too.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
There is only one answer, and it is beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Growler:

quote:

Distended vertical bacon sandwich, usually badly in need of attention. See also badly packed kebab.

• Locked thread