Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Silegna posted:

Worst trade in the series is the troll Haunter with an everstone in Gen 4.
It was just preparing people for douchebags pulling the same stunt on the GTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I also have no idea why Defense Curl is a TM in this game. IIRC, this is the only time it is one, so...I guess we can chalk that up to the limited amount of moves available, maybe?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Silegna posted:

Worst trade in the series is the troll Haunter with an everstone in Gen 4.

That one is bad but clearly a joke. Like the XY hiker who wants a Gyarados for his Magikarp.

RS had a trade that require a Bellossom and all you get in return is Corsola. Corsola is bad but also a 15% fishing encounter. There is one naturally occurring Sun Stone in RS, otherwise you have to steal them off Solrocks, a ruby exclusive.

ORAS at least gave it the hidden ability (Regenerator) but still.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I also have no idea why Defense Curl is a TM in this game. IIRC, this is the only time it is one, so...I guess we can chalk that up to the limited amount of moves available, maybe?

the answer is they put all the moves in a hat and pulled them out to see which ones were gonna be tm's

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

the answer is they put all the moves in a hat and pulled them out to see which ones were gonna be tm's
To be honest, I'd genuinely believe that to be the case at this point.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That's also how they got most pokemon's movepools and stat distributions.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Another possibility: Defense Curl + Rollout is one of the first combos added to Pokemon. Only 10 pokemon can learn both moves naturally, but 38 more can learn both TMs. By making both TMs, they made the combo more widely available.
Did anyone use it that way? Probably not. And I have no idea why it's so late in the game -- maybe because the combo was considered too powerful earlier in the game?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Outside of weather effects did they even do new combinations post gen 2? Stuff like minimize makes you doubly weak to stomp, or rollout being doubly effective after defence curl. Seems like they just went "eh, just throw in weather effects that's all we really need". I suppose moves like the pledges and rounds technically are combo attacks...

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There's the Gen V cover legendaries' fusion attacks, which are dumb and useless because they can only power up when fighting each other, in which case they both resist the moves, and whoever's going first has to deliberately let it happen. :downs: Between that and the pledges actually Gen V seemed to have a thing for bloody useless combo moves.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Solumin posted:

Another possibility: Defense Curl + Rollout is one of the first combos added to Pokemon. Only 10 pokemon can learn both moves naturally, but 38 more can learn both TMs. By making both TMs, they made the combo more widely available.
Did anyone use it that way? Probably not. And I have no idea why it's so late in the game -- maybe because the combo was considered too powerful earlier in the game?

The problem with that argument though? That assumes that (a) you actually know that Defense Curl improves Rollout (is it actually mentioned in game?) and (b) that you haven't already wasted your Rollout TM and/or already decided the move is poo poo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

MagusofStars posted:

The problem with that argument though? That assumes that (a) you actually know that Defense Curl improves Rollout (is it actually mentioned in game?) and (b) that you haven't already wasted your Rollout TM and/or already decided the move is poo poo.

It was mentioned in Stadium 2, which is where I first learned about that and a bunch of other things. It also mentions how Stomp gets its BP doubled if the target used Minimize. Unfortunately, Game Freak took until Gen VI to ensure that it won't miss against tiny targets.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Houle posted:

Outside of weather effects did they even do new combinations post gen 2? Stuff like minimize makes you doubly weak to stomp, or rollout being doubly effective after defence curl. Seems like they just went "eh, just throw in weather effects that's all we really need". I suppose moves like the pledges and rounds technically are combo attacks...

I don't know if they added new ones, but they did extend the old ones. Flying Press (and a number of other moves) also does double damage and can't miss against a Minimized opponent, and Ice Ball has double base power after Defense Curl, too. Uh, and I guess Smelling Salts and Wake-up Slap? They were added in Gen III, and that's not really a combo.

MagusofStars posted:

Right, I totally agree. But it's the kind of stupid reasoning I expect from Game Freak.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Houle posted:

It's not exactly the same, but contests did have combinations that would lead to larger appeals http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Contest_combination

so that's something

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

...huh, all this time I thought Mach Punch was introduced in Gen 4. Shows what I know.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

hopeandjoy posted:

...huh, all this time I thought Mach Punch was introduced in Gen 4. Shows what I know.

Vacuum Wave was, so you're kind of right?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 38.5: Deepest Depths and Highest Heights (HGSS)

Pokemon Gym

Final Gym time. Is our team ready to take on the dragon lady? Welllllll...

: The Gym has unstable footing. Keep your Pokémon in their Poké Balls. Now, Clair uses the mythical and sacred Dragon-type Pokémon. You can't damage them very easily. But you know, they're supposed to be weak against Ice-type moves.

So the puzzle of this Gym is moving and rotating these platforms to cross the lava. It's relatively simple, you just need to the room to maneauvre around.

In-between the movng platforms are the trainers, as well as teleports back to the entrance should you need them.

Fwip

The last one is easy enough. And with that, it's leader time.

: The world's best Dragon-type master. I can hold my own against even the Pokémon League's Elite Four. Do you still want to take me on? ...Fine. Let's do this! As a Gym Leader, I will use my full power against any opponent!

Gym Leader Battle

Oh hey, Clair's team has changed so she doesn't have three Dragonair. She still has two, but it's something!

Now, uh, this team isn't exactly the most optimal and we actually don't have much to deal with dragons, but thankfully Steelix can learn all the fang moves through Move Tutor. Very useful. But even a 4x effective move isn't too amazing due to Intimidate.

The AI noticed all of its moves did gently caress all to Steelix, so out comes one of the Dragonair. But is it the one with Fire Blast, or Aqua Tail? Both are effective against Steelix.

I've got the perfect candidate to test this, no matter what.

Feraligatr is pretty sweet and it helps my lack of Ice moves. I actually don't have much in the way of elemental attacks, but oh well!

lol Synchronize

poo poo, paralysis

Oh goddammit

Well Wol saved the day easily enough, but now comes the real problem, the Kingdra. In Gen 2, it wasn't a huge deal to face against, but in Gen 4, Pokemon are actually good, so you'll have some trouble without a plan. Oh, what's my plan? Well, you're seeing it right here.

No, I haven't gone crazy, I'm just baiting out Hydro Pump so that when it runs out, Steelix has no problems taking it down. At least that's what I'm hoping, cause I honestly don't have much else, this is not a great team.

Long story short, it's time to whittle it down.

Unfortunately it still has one trick up its sleeve in the form of Smokescreen. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

It's still slow going, since Thunder Fang isn't all that amazing, but the rest of my team don't really have anything for this drat thing.

After too many Smokescreens, I switched in Wol, then realized that Noctowl is one of the best counters to this thing.

Keen Eye and high Special Defense means Kingdra does barely anything. So there we go people, if you're having trouble with Kingdra, grab a Noctowl.

Paraflinch?

Nooooooo.

But eventually, we grind it down.

: I don't believe it. There must be some mistake...

Pokemon Gym

: I might have lost, but you're still not ready for the Pokémon League. I know. You should take the Dragon-master challenge. Behind this Gym is a place called Dragon's Den. There is a small shrine at its heart. Go there. If you can prove that you've lost your lazy ideals, I will admit you are a Trainer worthy of a Gym Badge!

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh, give me a few minutes.

Dragon's Den

We done, so we out.

: I'm sorry about this. Here, take this as my apology.

: Well, Dragon Pulse is a kind of er... never mind! It's huge energy of some kind. If you don't want it, you don't have to take it. What's the matter? If you are headed to the Pokémon League, go back to New Bark Town and Surf along Route 27.

: Come on! Whatever you have to face from now, don't you dare give up! If you do, I'll feel even worse about having lost to you! Give it your all.

Well we're back home, our team's looking good, so let's visit Professor Elm.

Professor Elm's Laboratory

"That's so cool."

: The professor is waiting for you.

Neat.

: You've been helping all these people! You make me proud to be your friend.

I wonder who that boy is, have we seen him in this LP before...?

"Ecruteak Dance Theater."

Ooh, I feel some plot coming up, let's go!

Ecruteak City

: How...? How is this possible? How can I lose to mere Kimono Girls...? You were watching me, Kotone... Yeah, that's right! I never thought defeating five Kimono Girls would be so hard... I got beaten to a pulp...

: You must have come here for the same reason, right? Don't get cocky just because you defeated Team Rocket! These Kimono Girls are insanely strong. Go ahead! See if you can defeat them. But I'm not going back. I don't want to see you win.

...so why was he here? How did he know the Kimono Girls wanted to battle? Am I supposed to be intimidated by Silver losing to these girls considering he's done nothing but lost since I've met him? Well, whatever, make sure you're prepared, cause it's gonna be a long and tough one.

Dance Theater

: I met you previously in Violet City. In order to bring back LUGIA, we needed someone with the right bond with Pokémon. We asked Mr. Pokémon to give this Mystery Egg to whoever showed true potential. The Egg was eventually handed from Mr. Pokémon to Professor Elm, and then to you. However, being pure alone will not be sufficient to face the power of this Pokémon. I must test you. Are you ready?

Nope! But let's go anyway!

So you still face against the Kimono Girls in these remakes, but instead of before Morty, you face them after Clair, one after the other with no breaks. It's pretty tough, but you only fight one Pokemon at a time, so what you do to the opponent stays no matter what. Good luck, cause I'll need it. Since I won't be showing these battles so this update isn't a million hours long, the order is Umbreon, Espeon, Flareon, Jolteon and Vaporeon.

: You helped me in Ilex Forest. My name is Naoko. I'm the one that's no so good at directions. My eyes witnessed you defeating Team Rocket when Kurt was in trouble at the SLOWPOKE Well. Allow me to challenge you and your Pokémon!

: I remember you chasing off that Team Rocket Grunt from right here. I must thank you for that. Although, I am actually a Trainer myself. She who knows the most speaks the least! I am Miki--the Kimono Girl! Allow me to challenge you and your Pokémon!

: You got me off the ice by pushing me from the back. I am the one who skates in sandals. I am Sayo--the Kimono Girl! I was listening in the Dragon's Den when you passed the test of the Elder. Allow me to challenge you and your Pokémon!

: You were so dependable at the Goldenrod Tunnel. I am the one who twirls even underground. I am Kuni--the Kimono Girl! I looked at you in wonder when you thwarted Team Rocket's mission to take over the Radio Tower. You must show your strength to me now. Allow me to challenge you and your Pokémon!

: Please take it.

Phew, I'm glad that's over. Count how many times my lead Pokemon changed as they each fainted in turn.

: I just saw the big shadow of a Pokémon in the Whirl Islands' waters! It could be...

(How the gently caress did she see that and come all the way over here? Ah whatever, it makes more sense in HG)

"See you there!"

Hey, let's not do any of that right now and see about that second test at the Safari Zone. Yeah!

Safari Zone

: This time can you catch a SANDSHREW and show it to me? Sounds easy, right? Not really! SANDSHREW will not appear with the current Safari Zone setting. And that's where this comes in handy!

: I call it the Area Customizer! You want to know how it works, don't you? It's a...secret! Well you shouldn't have trouble operating it. Just talk to the staff next to me!

: I was in the middle of explaining the second test, wasn't I? You will not see SANDSHREW with the current Safari Zone Areas, so you have to use the Area Customizer to change them. SANDSHREW live in the desert! Good luck!

Okay, let's get into the second big thing of this Safari Zone. You can change areas at will and swap them around. Want a Pokemon in a specific area? You can plop it right by the entrance and immediately find it! We can add two new areas to the Safari Zone: the Desert and the Rocky Beach. This also means you can rotate in the four other areas that weren't a part of the initial Safari Zone layout, but could've been in another game. With these two areas, the amount of Pokemon you can catch goes from 61 to 70, including Cubone, Slowpoke, Doduo and Lapras. And we can still get more Pokemon later. Hot drat this place is great.

We'll get the Desert up front and go find a shrew of sand.

Hi

Bye

: You've passed the test! You are now the Safari Zone Owner! I've always wanted to see young people playing at the safari! I thought I might get some new ideas. That should help you complete your Pokedex. That's what I have been thinking.

: Don't be upset. I'll keep thinking about how I can create new fun ways to help you complete your Pokedex. Go have fun at the Safari Zone!

Route 47

Since we're nearby, there are a couple of waterfalls on Route 47 we can go up.

The first one just leads to a patch of grass which doesn't hold anything new, but has Pokemon scaled properly, so they're around level 30-35. If you want a new team member, then this is as good a time as any!

The second waterfall takes us on a bit of a winding river path.

At the end is the White Flute. Flutes have infinite uses and have different effects depending on the colour. We'll be finding the rest here and there. This one specifically increases the encounter rate by 50%, but I'm unsure if it stacks with Pokemon March on the radio. Maybe one day we'll find out!

Whirl Islands

We'll return to the Safari Zone and its surrounding areas at a later point, but for now, it's time to plot. Since I've already gone over the Whirl Islands in the main LP, let's head straight to the bottom!

I hope this man doesn't stand in this cave all day stopping people from leaving.

Pretty

One small change is how you no longer need Waterfall for this cave. You didn't technically need it in Gen 2 either, as you could go down waterfalls but not up them no matter what. Also note that we don't need Flash for this room, but you do need it for the rest of the dungeon. Still, let's go inside.

: When the dance we practiced many days becomes one with the sound of the Tidal Bell we entrusted with you, then LUGIA shall come out from deep within the waterfall basin once again!

Since I'm too lazy to make gifs or videos about HGSS, do please watch the following sequence here because it's pretty cool.

"ancient times..."

: So many have tried again and again, only to fail... Kotone, your heart in complete harmony with the Tidal Bell has finally allowed it to appear...

: LUGIA... It must have been waiting for someone like you all this time. Wouldn't you agree...? This is all we can do for you.. What you do now is entirely up to you...

Imma stuff it in a ball.

VS Lugia

Alright, Lugia is a pretty big powerhouse, so actually catching it is gonna be tough if your team isn't too amazing.

It does a lot of damage, but we just need to whittle it down, slowly but surely.

Yet again Wol is like the best Pokemon to face these heavy hitting special attackers.

Since this is Gen 4, Dusk Balls are the best to use against legendaries, so long as you're in a cave, or playing at night.

Oh, uh, I guess I'll just catch it with the first ball then. Out of curiosity, I had a 7.2% chance of capture, so I got really lucky!

: You are so wonderful. There is nothig more for us to say. Take good care of yourself in your journey...

Sounds like a plan!

Professor Elm's Laboratory

: The Kimono Girls said something about me? I don't have anything to do with it. You made up your mind yourself and went through with your decision. Having achieved such a thing, you should be able to take on the Pokémon League now! You should head for the Indigo Plateau!

Well we will be doing that in the next HGSS update, but we're not done with this update just yet. I know, this one's really full to the brim, but on we go.

Of course we'll be returning to Japanese HeartGold, but only for the HeartGold part. Instead of going to the Whirl Islands and facing Lugia, we're heading to the Bell Tower and facing Ho-oh.

Pretty

Bell Tower

The setup is relatively similar, you can only go so far without the Rainbow Wing, but we still have to climb the drat thing. I'll be going into more detail when we actually come here in Crystal, but it's relatively straightforward.

Now this tower was renamed in the remakes, from the Tin Tower to the Bell Tower. Why? Well the Japanese name スズのとう Suzu no Tō, can be translated as either Tin Tower, or Bell Tower, as the kana for Suzu can be 錫 tin, or 鈴 bell. The Suzu bells used in Shinto rituals are what the Clear and Tidal Bells are based on. I suppose the Bell Tower is the actual Japanese translation, but I never questioned the Tin Tower when I was younger, since it still continues the metal theme and matched with the Burned Tower's original name, the Brass Tower. It could also be a Japanese pun, being either Bell or Tin, depending on what you think matched up more.

But hey, we've made it to the top, phew, that was a crazy climb.

Since this is the Japanese version, I'll just use the English text.

: Yes, this is where we welcome Ho-Oh. When the dance we practiced for many days becomes one with the sound of the Clear Bell we entrusted to you, then Ho-Oh shall come down from the great arch of the sky once again!

Again, watch the summoning here, it's even better than the other one!

: That IS indeed Ho-Oh... The guardian of the sky around here from ancient times... So many have tried and tried, only to fail... ヒビキ, your heart and the Clear Bell in harmony have finally made fit appear... ヒビキ, don't you see? Ho-Oh must have been waiting for someone like you all this time. Wouldn't you agree...?

Hey there, wanna see my Pokeballs?

VS Ho-oh

Like with Lugia, Ho-oh can be pretty tough, but thankfully I've got some Fire resistence on my team to deal with it. Very nice.

Still hurts like the dickens, so absolutely do not take it lightly.

Still, uh, I don't have much in the way of catching it since I knew I wasn't gonna do too much with this save file anyway. So we'll just Master Ball it.

I am shocked. Shocked! Well, not that shocked.

: You have not only made Ho-Oh appear, but you have also caught it... You are so wonderful. There is nothing more for us to say. Take good care of yourself in your journey...

That's about it for Japanese HeartGold and this update. Maybe there's more to show off in this specific game, but we'll leave that for another time. Later everyone.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dusk Balls are a beautiful thing. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ho-oh's battle theme is great.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
So, the reason for the rival being there story-wise is not so great, yeah. But game mechanic-wise, he is the rival, so its a bit of a fake out "oh poo poo, another rival battle", which makes you pay attention. But then he doesn't fight you, he instead tells you that you have a hard battle coming up, 5 trainers in a row without breaks. So, it's really just Nintendo giving you a heads up.

Also, I appreciate that little bit of character development from that scene, where the rival doesn't want to watch you battle, because he assumes you will win, and he doesn't want to see you succeed where he failed. I think that at least is a nice touch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the kimono girls fight was the hardest fight for me in the entire time i played Heartgold

eeveelutions too strong

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

the kimono girls fight was the hardest fight for me in the entire time i played Heartgold

eeveelutions too strong
It's tough because it's one of the only pre-E4 times you have an NPC trainer with a well leveled five-man team. So in practical terms it's basically a high-end Gym Leader battle.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Do they ever explain why the Kimono girls want to summon Lugia or Ho-oh?

Anyway, I found Lugia to be somewhat easy to capture but Ho-oh was hard as hell and it left a bad taste afterward. Mostly because you're on a time limit before it struggles to death (It only has 30 PP between all its moves).

Gold still manages to be my least favorite Pokémon game and Silver version is vastly superior.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zuzie posted:

It'd be interesting if they explained it as wanting Lugia or Ho-oh to come back to Ecruteak.

Speaking of which, I wonder how the anime came up with the idea that Lugia is tied to the Kanto birds given that it doesn't represent Autumn (though it is from a town that has a perpetual autumn, from all indication) and doesn't interact with them at all.

Also, if you haven't seen it already, this video is relevant to that update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rga9wUdKRk8

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zuzie posted:

I just assumed it was trying to get the birds to believe in humanity again, same reason the beasts roam around and why suicune takes interest in you. It's why they needed someone whose heart &/or soul resonates with their respective bells. Dialog implies they've done the dance with other trainers and the birds didn't show up.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Elite 4 must have been too strong for Crosspiece. :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

My plan for a double update on Halloween didn't really go through, but without further ado...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 39: The Elite Four

Goldenrod City

Starting off today with some Egg hatching. I'll be keeping this up throughout the LP, as this is the only way to get some Pokemon. But since we have six team members, I'll just quickly hatch them. Best way to do that is just outside the Daycare and going up and down. Thankfully I can speed the game up to hatch things quickly, since Flame Body doesn't exist yet.

HP: 40 | ATK: 30 | DEF: 15 | SP.ATK: 85 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 65 | TOTAL: 305
#152: Smoochum

Indigo Plateau

Alright, it's time to take down the Elite Four. Finally. Let's have a look at our team.

...Kamina? is a physical tank that hits hard with very useful STAB. And if I'm feeling lucky, then we can try Horn Drill, but that requires us being higher level, which isn't going to happen for most of the Elite Four. Still, we can use it in future. Surf is a move to finish off weakened opponents.

Jeremiah is as dependable as always, with Water and Ice moves and status in Paralysis and Sleep. Very useful, very nice, but not much to talk about. Next!

Helios still has some problems, but with an actual special move to make use of, it can be very useful. Despite having lower Attack, Return still hits hard, but man I wish there was some Psychic move it could learn. Oh well, eventually...

Churchill is our other heavy hitter with some variety and power, but is pretty slow. Can also make male opponents 50% useless, but it prefers to just smack things really hard. Can also lower defense if it can't immediately break through something.

Mothra is a weird mixed attacker that is our Psychic type until we get a proper Psychic type, but it can also hit relatively hard with Sludge Bomb and finish off weak foes with Swift. It's not amazing, but it's still a fine team member that does what it do.

Finally, Kakarott is a speedy special attacker of a different kind that has some good STABs to damage opponents with, as well as Quick Attack to finish them off. And that's all it needs to do, it's great, they're all great, so off we go!

Well, no going back now.

Let's meet the first contender.

: Allow me to introduce myself, I am WILL. I have trained all around the world, making my psychic POKéMON powerful. And, at last, I've been accepted into the ELITE FOUR. I can only keep getting better! Losing is not an option!

Elite Four Battle :siren: VS Elite Four Will :siren:

(Since there's not any amazing Gen 2 artwork of the Elite Four, we'll still be sticking with the HGSS stuff. Will is derived from willpower, while Itsuki is from the tsuki tree, also called the Zelkova serrata).

So Will's main strategy is to just hit hard with Psychic. Thankfully due to the terrible level curve of these games, instead of being 10-20 levels lower than the Elite Four, we're about 1-10 levels lower, which doesn't really offer up much of a challenge. So to not drag this out too long, I will be using super effective moves more often, cause I don't really want to give this Elite Four much focus, they're pretty uninteresting.

Starting off strong.

HP: 95 | ATK: 95 | DEF: 85 | SP.ATK: 125 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 55 | TOTAL: 520
#105: Exeggutor

Pfft, I'll abuse the lack of physical/special split when I can!

Well, I put these moves onto Helios for a reason.

Sunsteel Strike! Wait poo poo wrong game

Lovely Kiss (Akuma no Kissu: Demon's Kiss) is a Normal status move with 10PP and 75% accuracy that puts the target to Sleep. That is better than Hypnosis, but has ridiculously limited distribution that it's not really worth it.

That's enough outta you.

Will's second Xatu is exactly the same as the first and exactly as notable, so we're done here!

Indigo Plateau

"change my course."

: I will continue battling until I stand above all trainers! Now, MARINA, move on and experience the true ferocity of the ELITE FOUR.

One down, three to go.

: I live in shadows, a ninja! My intricate style will confound and destroy you! Confusion, sleep, poison... Prepare to be the victim of my sinister technique! Fwahahahaha! POKéMON is not merely about brute force--you shall see soon enough!

Elite Four Battle :siren: VS Elite Four Koga :siren:

(Returning from Gen 1, Koga is from, well, Kōga-ryū, a school of ninjutsu. Believe it! Kyō is an on-yumi (alternate reading) of apricot. The kun-yomi (literal reading) of apricot is anzu. Eh? Ehhhhhhh? Soon I'll be able to properly tell you what that's about, brick jokes!)

I counter your Bug/Poison with my own Bug/Poison. Ahah!

AHAH!

Hmm, let's stop you right there. Its plan is to boost evasion, trap you from switching and then Baton Passing to another Pokemon that'll gain all its benefits. Do not let it do that, dumbass.

Man my bug is good.

HP: 85 | ATK: 90 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 70 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 130 | TOTAL: 535
#039: Crobat

This thing is pretty darn speedy, but it doesn't really have the oomph behind it to deal loads of damage.

So it's not that big deal, waste the healing items, see if I care! The poison (probably) won't kill me.

HP: 75 | ATK: 90 | DEF: 140 | SP.ATK: 60 | SP.DEF: 60 | SPD: 40 | TOTAL: 465
#094: Forretress

After roasting a chesnut, we face the sludge pile.

Oh good, this looks fun. Acid Armor (Tokeru: Liquefy) is a Poison status move with 40PP that increases Defense by 2 stages. It's an alright move, but it's situational, whatever.

And with that, we are done. Halfway there!

Indigo Plateau

"your worth!"
"muster."

: But my efforts failed, I must hone my skills. Go on to the next room, and put your abilities to test!

Hmm, interesting, a Fire type Elite Four?

: I always train to the extreme because I believe in our potential. That is how we become strong. Can you withstand our power? Hm? I see no fear in you. You look determined. Perfect for battle! Ready, MARINA? You will bow down to our overwhelming power! Hoo hah!

Elite Four Battle :siren: VS Elite Four Bruno :siren:

(Bruno means brown haired, while also being similar to brawn, bruiser and brunt. While Siba is from shiba, the Japanese name of Zoysia, creeping grass and shibaku, to strike.)

HP: 50 | ATK: 95 | DEF: 95 | SP.ATK: 35 | SP.DEF: 110 | SPD: 70 | TOTAL: 455
#146: Hitmontop

I dunno why it kept going for Quick Attack, it knew Pursuit. But the AI can be quite dumb. And then at the same time it went for Detect on my Fly turns, so I just dunno.

Hey, that's not a Fighting type. Oh well, physical tank gooooooooo

Hell yeah

Well this is annoying, but it just makes Mothra stronger.

Bruno isn't too notable, since most of his Pokemon aren't particularly tough.

But now it's time for the big guns.

HP: 90 | ATK: 130 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 85 | SPD: 55 | TOTAL: 505
#142: Machamp

I did forget it had Rock Slide. Really should've expected it.

Well that didn't go too well, but Jeremiah's got this.

Welp. Cross Chop (Kurosu Choppu) is a Fighting move with 100BP, 5PP and 80% accuracy that also has an increased critical hit ratio. It's a pretty great move if it hits but with low PP and loads of misses makes it not amazing.

This is the only way this battle can end.

Indigo Plateau

That's three of them down!

"say anything..."

: Go face your next challenge!

...yeah it's Dark.

: You're MARINA? How amusing. I love dark-type POKéMON. I find their wild, tough image to be so appealing. And they're so strong. Think you can take them? Just try to entertain me. Let's go.

Elite Four Battle :siren: VS Elite Four Karen :siren:

(Karen is similar to her Japanese name, as well as containing the last five letters of 'darken'? Uh, sure. Karin, meanwhile, is from karin, Burmese rosewood, or Chinese quince.)

Oh god kill me now. Faint Attack (Damashiuchi: Sneak Attack) is a 60BP, 20PP Dark move that never misses. Why are Dark moves special anyway?

Ooh yeah, let's get out of here. Also that's not a Dark type, it's just black. Not really the same thing.

Petal Dance (Hanabira no Mai) is a Grass move with 70BP, 20PP and 100% accuracy that hits between 2-3 turns and confuses the user after it finishes. It's the best Grass move, but pretty hard to come by. Everyone else has to live with Solarbeam or Giga Drain if they can't get that move.

My dog is really good at digging up plants.

Also not a Dark type, but it's a pretty rubbish opponent regardless.

Girl doesn't even have a Sneasel? What is this bullshit?

Houndoom is actually where she gets dangerous. Crunch (Kamikudaku) is a Dark move with 80BP, 15PP and 100% accuracy that has a 20% chance of lowering Special Defense by one stage. It's a pretty good attack for special attackers. Like Houndoom.

While it definitely lay in the hurt, Jeremiah is always around to save the day. And with that, we are done.

Indigo Plateau

"in a trainer."

: That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. I like your style. You understand what's important. Go on--the CHAMPION is waiting.

Aw man, I wonder who the Champion is this time. Maybe this completely unsubtle room will give us an idea. We'll find out next time.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 16, 2016

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 40: Champion and Credits

Indigo Plateau

Oh hey it's Lance. I'm completely surprised.

: I knew that you, with your skills, would eventually reach me here. There's no need for words now. We will battle to determine who is the stronger of the two of us. As the most powerful trainer and as the POKéMON LEAGUE CHAMPION... I, LANCE the dragon master, accept your challenge!

VS Champion Lance :siren: VS Champion Lance :siren:

(Lance is the name of a weapon used by knights, who fought dragons in fairy tales. Or it's just a cool name. Ever thought of that? Wataru is derived from wata, cotton. Wataru also means crossing. Uh, yeah.)

Lance can be a bit of a toughie, especially if you don't have any Electric or Ice moves. Thankfully I have those, but that won't make things that easy.

While it's a bit close, Jeremiah's got this.

HP: 91 | ATK: 134 | DEF: 95 | SP.ATK: 100 | SP.DEF: 100 | SPD: 80 | TOTAL: 600
#243: Dragonite

With ...Kamina?'s low Special Defense, even a move such as this hurts. Twister (Tatsumaki) is a Dragon move with 40BP, 20PP and 100% accuracy that has a 20% chance to flinch the opponent and deals double damage to flying opponents. It's not the best STAB, but it's something.

Again, it comes down to the wire, but ...Kamina? pulls through.

Now Lance has THREE Dragonite, each illegal at the level its at. The easy way to know which Dragonite knows Fire Blast is it's the one at level 50. But to figure out the Blizzard or Thunder Dragonite, you need to remember what he'll send out against your Pokemon. Since it was Jeremiah, he sent out the Thunder Dragonite, so ...Kamina? was the perfect(ish) counter. But who to send out for the Blizzard Dragonite?

Jeremiah comes back to save the day. Ice Punch or Ice Beam is the easiest way to take down Dragonite. Hell, maybe even Icy Wind, as it makes them a lot slower as well.

Though since Dragonite has pretty high Special Defense, even a 4x effective move without STAB does around 65%.

I am glad of Jeremiah's resilience.

Hmm

I think this is the Fire Blast one. And sorry Mothra, I don't remember every moveset during battle. Good hustle though.

Ouch. Outrage (Gekirin: Imperial Rage) is a Dragon move with 90BP, 20PP and 100% accuracy that lasts for 2-3 turns and ends with the user being confused. It's the best Dragon move we've got, though no Dragon has better Special Attack than Attack, so it's not amazingly useful right now.

While it's a shame to give Jeremiah so much experience, it really is the best answer I have to the three Dragonite. Especially with the Thunder Dragonite out of the way.

That's the most dangerous Pokemon out of the way, but we're still not out of the woods yet.

HP: 80 | ATK: 105 | DEF: 65 | SP.ATK: 60 | SP.DEF: 75 | SPD: 130 | TOTAL: 515
#224: Aerodactyl

Christ, does every Pokemon of Lance's know Hyper Beam? (The answer is yes)

I'm so glad I kept Attract around. It's so useful 50% of the time.

Hmm, I'm actually in a bit of a pickle here. Ancientpower (Genshi no Chikara: Primeval Power) is a Rock move with 60BP, 5PP and 100% accuracy that has a 10% chance of raising every stat by one stage. If you can make that work for you, great! Otherwise, use Rock Slide.

HP: 78 | ATK: 84 | DEF: 78 | SP.ATK: 109 | SP.DEF: 85 | SPD: 100 | TOTAL: 534
#231: Charizard

The battle of the starters, who will come out on top???

Me. Obviously. Pokemon is quite shonen after all.

: But it's an odd feeling. I'm not angry that I lost. In fact, I feel happy. Happy that I witnessed the rise of a great new CHAMPION!

: You have become truly powerful, MARINA. Your POKéMON have responded to your strong and upstanding nature. As a trainer, you will continue to grow strong with your POKéMON.

Reporter Mary

: Oh, no! It's all over! PROF.OAK, if you weren't so slow...

: It's been a long while. You certainly look more impressive. Your conquest of the LEAGUE is just fantastic! Your dedication, trust and love for your POKéMON made this happen. Your POKéMON were outstanding too. Because they believed in you as a trainer, they persevered. Congratulations, MARINA!

"CHAMPION!"
"bit too noisy..."

: MARINA, could you come with me?

: Oh wait! We haven't done the interview!

Hall of Fame

"last came here."

: This is where we honor LEAGUE CHAMPIONS for all eternity. Their courageous POKéMON are also inducted. Here today, we witnessed the rise of a new LEAGUE CHAMPION--a trainer who feels compassion for, and trust towards, all POKéMON. A trainer who succeeded through persaverance and determination. The new LEAGUE CHAMPION who has all the makings of greatness! MARINA, allow me to register you and your partners as CHAMPIONS!

New Champion

[Sir not appearing in the final Champion battle]

: Wow. You've found more POKéMON than the last POKéDEX research project.

Credits

And there we have it, after 40 updates, we've finally beating the game! The full credits will be in the video, so let's talk about the future!

Unlike Gen 1, which had no real postgame to speak of (I stretched out two updates just to have something substantial!), Gen 2 has a fair bit to it. So this LP isn't close to over, but we have done the bulk of it, I would be surprised if we went over 60 updates.

I will also be continuing the HGSS updates, but I'll have a separate post going over a few things, I'm very happy with how this LP has gone so far and reader input is always appreciated, cause I always want to improve.

As far as the game is concerned, I've really enjoyed playing through it. I had no idea when I first started this LP how much of Gen 2 I didn't know about, despite having played it for hours and hours. It's not a perfect gen, its low level curve and wonky Pokemon distribution are a couple of sticking points, but as far as presentation and design go, this gen is one of my favourites.

Thanks for a great game, Mr Iwata.

The End

And thank you for reading. See you next time for when we head to Kanto!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Now everybody take a long, hard think about what Karen said. :colbert:

I mean I'm probably preaching to the choir, but :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Koga, you liar, you didn't have a single sleep status attack.

AlphaKretin posted:

There's a guy at the Battle Resort (competitive battling area) in ORAS that basically says "gently caress your favorites. Use a Garchomp if you want to be a real trainer."

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 16, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

God is the Gen 2 Elite Four a joke.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Funky Valentine posted:

God is the Gen 2 Elite Four a joke.

Hey man they brought back beloved, serious contenders like Bruno and a guy that was just a boring old gym leader last game!
How can you not be intimidated by such prowess?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have no idea why Koga, of all people, was chosen as an Elite Four member instead of Blue.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Did Hitmonlee just fart? I guess the move does work by infuriating your opponent, that would work.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The worst part about this elite 4 is how they're your best method for grinding. I remember running through this E4 over 100 times to get things evolved. Gets a bit old even when you just use Mewtwo forever.

Also maybe it's just me, but the way the game is structured makes Kanto feel less like a post game and more just "game."

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Which is also why I'm happy that Gen 6 and 7 have been trying to help a lot of the traditionally weak pokemon by giving them Mega/Alola forms, and native stat boosts.

I mean, my favorite pokemon is Vulpix, so seeing her Hidden Ability in Gen V giving her a new (temporary) lease on life was great, and now she has a really neat Alola form! :swoon:

While the d20 Pokemon RPG has a lot of issues to it, I will give them props for making each pokemon viable stat-wise. The d6-based one is less so, but everything still functions.

Also:

This legitimately made me tear up a bit.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, Karen. The beginning of the Dark type being relegated to E4 trainers and never being allowed to be its own Gym. At least I can't fault her for using Houndoom, as I opted for using it in Platinum as my go-to Fire type. Add on that Crunch, an excellent physical move, and Houndoom is worth its weight.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have no idea why Koga, of all people, was chosen as an Elite Four member instead of Blue.
My only guess is that Koga put in one hell of an application to whatever governing body elects the Elite Four, and that's what got him the promotion. Or GameFreak put up the Kanto Gym Leaders on a dartboard and that's who the dart landed on.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Kyō is an on-yumi (alternate reading) of apricot. The kun-yomi (literal reading) of apricot is anzu.
That is a very weird and unhelpful way of describing the different kinds of reading. The usual explanation is that kun'yomi have their origins in Japanese and on'yomi come, ultimately, eventually, theoretically, in principle, from Chinese.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I lift my fist into the air and shout to the heavens, "Bulbapedia!"

Yeah, I don't know about that stuff and though I've been told time and time again how wrong Bulbapedia is about all kinds of things, they're the best resource I got until someone calls me stupid. I'll fix it, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

It doesn't help that the people who made that trivia fact probably took one year of Japanese, at best :v:

• Locked thread