Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

ArbitraryC posted:

It's friday/saturday I thought they said, no thurs/sun. Also anx better beat europe it will be so unfair if they make it to semis never facing strong teams.

http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/worlds/world_championship_2016/schedule/elim

it's been over 4 days for awhile, I just can't make the Thursday one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Libertine posted:

One of H2K/NOX/C9/Samsung is going to be the world finals holy poo poo.

this is completely ridiculous lmbo

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
This is me, not surprised that the quarters draw procedure did not match the rules document at all.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

actually i think h2k is going to make it to finals over ssg because with the amount of luck they've had thus far all of samsung is going to get chicken pox like albus nox did or something equally ridiculous

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Libertine posted:

Wow the quarterfinals matchups are stacked in the KR/CN ones but it's mostly the fault of EDG and RNG losing groups they should have won. It's hilarious how lopsided the bracket is. One of H2K/NOX/C9/Samsung is going to be the world finals holy poo poo.

Theoretically, I think SSG vs. SKT will be the "best" possible games in terms of pure macro/micro, but I want to see NOX take it all the way to finals and just have three or four slugfests.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Dragongem posted:

http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/worlds/world_championship_2016/schedule/elim

it's been over 4 days for awhile, I just can't make the Thursday one

that link only shows me today's games, I just meant that when they showed the schedule after picks it was friday/sat I can't say for sure because the online schedule is a piece of poo poo and impossible to use

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

kirtar posted:

This is me, not surprised that the quarters draw procedure did not match the rules document at all.

It's :

B1
D2

A1
C2

C1
A2

D1
B2

In terms of a cup format it is completely fair and equitable. The problem is that the two (considered) weakest 1/2 teams are all in the bottom half. That's not really their fault though it's mostly the fault of the LPL teams for underperforming in groups.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

ArbitraryC posted:

that link only shows me today's games, I just meant that when they showed the schedule after picks it was friday/sat I can't say for sure because the online schedule is a piece of poo poo and impossible to use

Oh, I had it on quarters and I guess it didn't work. It's:

C9/SSG Thursday
SKT/RNG Friday
ROX/EDG Saturday
H2K/ANX Sunday

All at 5 PM central

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Dragongem posted:

Oh, I had it on quarters and I guess it didn't work. It's:

C9/SSG Thursday
SKT/RNG Friday
ROX/EDG Saturday
H2K/ANX Sunday

All at 5 PM central

Interesting, good to know though thanks. Was watching live with a friend I swear they only mentioned 10/21-10/22.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Hey Dragongem, where are you actually located? Last year I heard you were at NYC. I'm curious if anyone's going to Chicago with ya from here or anyone to NYC.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Libertine posted:

It's :

B1
D2

A1
C2

C1
A2

D1
B2

In terms of a cup format it is completely fair and equitable. The problem is that the two (considered) weakest 1/2 teams are all in the bottom half. That's not really their fault though it's mostly the fault of the LPL teams for underperforming in groups.
Except with the draw procedure described in the rules, it should have been B1 vs A2 first pairing which immediately dictates the mirror pairing (A1 vs B2) on the bottom half. The rules document does not place teams into the bracket before forming pairings.

quote:

6.3.2 Second Round Quarterfinals. Second round of the tournament will consist of four best-of-five matches. Seeding will be determined by team records from the Group Stage. The teams securing the #1 seeds from the Group Stage will play the #2 seeds from different groups. There will be a bracket-assigning draw immediately following the completion of the final game of the Group Stage. Once a pairing is created (e.g. A1 vs D2) then the “cross-pairing” is also locked in (e.g. A2 vs D1) and placed on opposite sides of the bracket. The first pairing will be placed on the top side of the bracket while the “cross-pairing” will be on the bottom side of the bracket. This will also lock in the remaining matchups (e.g. B1 vs C2; C1 vs B2). Once all matchups are known a final draw will be held to place one of the remaining matchups into the top side of the bracket (e.g. B1 vs C2 or C1 vs B2).

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Yeah I dug through the schedueler and saw my error, I can say that I was with a friend who made literally the exact same mistake so I think the infograph was poorly designed. We both saw the centered bolded dates and thought that was for each side of the bracket.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I'd really like to see a longform piece in a few weeks that delves into TSM and Worlds this year, going over the expectations going in and what what "wrong". If it had both in-depth interviews with team analysts so that we got a real sense of what was happening in scrims on top of player statements, that'd be cool.

Basically a written 30 for 30 about this year's rise and fall of TSM.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

kirtar posted:

Except with the draw procedure described in the rules, it should have been B1 vs A2 first pairing which immediately dictates the mirror pairing (A1 vs B2) on the bottom half. The rules document does not place teams into the bracket before forming pairings.

It just says that one pairing is made and then is mirrored on the other side. That is what happened.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Servaetes posted:

Hey Dragongem, where are you actually located? Last year I heard you were at NYC. I'm curious if anyone's going to Chicago with ya from here or anyone to NYC.

I live in Chicago. Flying solo this time. I flew up to NYC for the NA LCS with Komisar and Auxilia last year which was pretty sweet.

Edit: I was thinking about going out to LA for the finals but I couldn't get tickets at a decent price and I decided to spend the money on a new computer instead.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 10, 2016

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Libertine posted:

It just says that one pairing is made and then is mirrored on the other side. That is what happened.

Read farther. It places teams AFTER forming the pairings. How it's described is
  • Draw a pairing, lock in mirror pairing and by extension, all pairings
  • Place first drawn pairing in top bracket, mirror in bottom bracket
  • Draw remaining matchups into bracket

kirtar fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 10, 2016

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

kirtar posted:

Read farther. It places teams AFTER forming the pairings. How it's described is
  • Draw a pairing, lock in mirror pairing and by extension, all pairings
  • Place first drawn pairing in top bracket, mirror in bottom bracket
  • Draw remaining matchups into bracket

the rules explicitly prohibit same side pairings tho, A1 vs B2 isn't legal cause A/B can't be in same quarter match which is why nox got kicked all the way to the right bracket.

B2 wasn't legal for either A1 or B1. A1 and B1 can only fight C2 and D2. As far as I can tell the goal of this was to force a situation where the 2nd in a group couldn't face the first in a group until finals.

e2: To be more explicit their goal is to avoid A1 vs B2 and B1 vs A1 on same half so as a rule they made it so A can't fight B.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 10, 2016

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ArbitraryC posted:

the rules explicitly prohibit same side pairings tho, A1 vs B2 isn't legal cause A/B can't be in same quarter match which is why nox got kicked all the way to the right bracket.

B2 wasn't legal for either A1 or B1. A1 and B1 can only fight C2 and D2.

I don't think you understood what I'm saying at all. In the described system, you don't put all of the 1st seed teams into the bracket and then draw 2nd seeds. The only possible conflict in the described system is drawing two teams from the same group. With this procedure we would just draw say A1 B2. At this point all remaining matchups (A2B1, C1D2, C2D1) would be set. Then A1B2 would be in upper half and A2B1 would be bottom. Then they would randomly place the remaining matches in the bracket.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Dragongem posted:

I live in Chicago. Flying solo this time. I flew up to NYC for the NA LCS with Komisar and Auxilia last year which was pretty sweet.

Edit: I was thinking about going out to LA for the finals but I couldn't get tickets at a decent price and I decided to spend the money on a new computer instead.

If you're flying to NYC this time around on your own, Rinj and I are gonna be there! So if you're going and wanna do something, send me a PM. It'd be cool to get to meet the folks I've played League with over the years.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

kirtar posted:

I don't think you understood what I'm saying at all. In the described system, you don't put all of the 1st seed teams into the bracket and then draw 2nd seeds. The only possible conflict in the described system is drawing two teams from the same group. With this procedure we would just draw say A1 B2. At this point all remaining matchups (A2B1, C1D2, C2D1) would be set. Then A1B2 would be in upper half and A2B1 would be bottom. Then they would randomly place the remaining matches in the bracket.

ArbitraryC posted:

e2: To be more explicit their goal is to avoid A1 vs B2 and B1 vs A1 on same half so as a rule they made it so A can't fight B.

The rules are designed to avoid a rematch semifinals

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ArbitraryC posted:

The rules are designed to avoid a rematch semifinals

You still don't get it. There wouldn't be one.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

kirtar posted:

You still don't get it. There wouldn't be one.

No you don't get it and that's why they did it the way they did.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ArbitraryC posted:

No you don't get it and that's why they did it the way they did.

Look. So say they draw A1B2. Lock in A2B1. If they're put on the opposite side of the bracket how the gently caress are they going to have a rematch semifinal when they can't play each other until finals? You're still assuming that teams would be placed in the bracket before forming pairings.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
who loving cares

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

RealFoxy posted:

who loving cares

No one, he just thinks his dumb interpretation that they should have drawn 1 first seed then 1 second, mirror'd it and then had the last 2 groups set is somehow better despite being way more anticlimatic

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ArbitraryC posted:

No one, he just thinks his dumb interpretation that they should have drawn 1 first seed then 1 second, mirror'd it and then had the last 2 groups set is somehow better despite being way more anticlimatic

I didn't say it was better. I said that it was in the rules document.

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

These brackets suck.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
bracketgate!!!!

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
unfortunately the finals is never the best part of worlds. Samsung white vs SHRC was pretty much pre-decided. SKT vs Tigers was a good matchup but they're from the same region so they were familiar with each other and SKT was undefeated at that point. Groups is honestly the best part, quarters and semis are usually 3-0s. Although, like SHRC, RNG had the potential to surprise, but I think they will be defeated by SKT.

That said, there are going to be some good BO5's in the coming weeks. But the finals will be a stomp. I actually went to the 2014 world finals and after enjoying the worlds season immensely I wondered why I went to the finals instead of Groups.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Groups is always the best part of the tournament. I know I had a lot of fun this year, so many upsets! Quarters still look interesting, the only 3/0 I'm expecting is SSG crushing C9 into the ground. The other three will be cool, especially SKT/RNG.

Is there a site that tracks p/b's and win percents for champions at worlds? Wondering how diversity looked. It seemed better than some previous years, at least.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

kirtar posted:

I didn't say it was better. I said that it was in the rules document.

literally no where in the rules did they indicate they would do anything other than draw the first seeds first in a row, which is what they've always done including for this year's groups.

You are the one being weird here.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Libertine posted:

Wow the quarterfinals matchups are stacked in the KR/CN ones but it's mostly the fault of EDG and RNG losing groups they should have won. It's hilarious how lopsided the bracket is. One of H2K/NOX/C9/Samsung is going to be the world finals holy poo poo.

BUNG

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

mistaya posted:

Is there a site that tracks p/b's and win percents for champions at worlds? Wondering how diversity looked. It seemed better than some previous years, at least.

http://www.gamesoflegends.com/champion/picksandbans.php?season=S6

Sort it by worlds using the drop down. Would try to direct more cleanly but I'm phone posting.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

also i can definitely see why somebody would find it fishy that the brackets were set up to almost guarantee that a western team would make finals, because this is basically the only outcome where that could happen

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I wonder if someone paid the LPL teams to play badly and gently caress up the seeding? Also someone paid Nox to play WoW instead of scrimming so they could run over their group.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I wonder if someone paid the LPL teams to play badly and gently caress up the seeding? Also someone paid Nox to play WoW instead of scrimming so they could run over their group.

douyou.tv

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Schiavona posted:

I'd really like to see a longform piece in a few weeks that delves into TSM and Worlds this year, going over the expectations going in and what what "wrong". If it had both in-depth interviews with team analysts so that we got a real sense of what was happening in scrims on top of player statements, that'd be cool.

Basically a written 30 for 30 about this year's rise and fall of TSM.

Regarding TSM, I think there were a combination of factors that led to them being overhyped and underperforming:

1) They looked absolutely dominant in NA, which is a region that's still just barely starting to get to the level of other regions like Korea in terms of support staff. Reginald got serious this year about trying to win Worlds, to TSM's credit, and it showed in their performance against teams in NA who were not being coached to the same level. This kind of sweep really made them seem like a whole new team going to Worlds when looked at in the vacuum of NA.

2) Their drafts in all three of their losses were frankly garbage:
  • Loss 1: There is absolutely no reason for anyone to run Orianna in a professional game in 2016. Her golden days are long behind her, and she's easily outclassed by any of the modern or reworked mages. Bjergsen had a hundred more CS than Xiaohu but it barely felt like he was even in the game. Hauntzer went onto Kennen against a team with two strong frontliners and a huge amount of mobility, basically guaranteeing he'd never get his ult off in an advantageous position unless RNG all simultaneously decided to walk into a bush. Mata, the world's greatest Alistar player, was handed Alistar on a silver platter and more or less solo carried the entire game.
  • Loss 2: I could just write, "They gave Viktor to Crown," and that'd probably be sufficient, but their entire team draft was focused around a goofy speedup strat with the assumption of Olaf and Kennen getting ahead so that they could smash in midgame with a Lucian powerspike. This was then immediately dynamited with Sven eating poo poo in the enemy jungle before 4 minutes. After that point, Zilean was inevitably outscaled by Viktor and Doublelift on a 500 range champion could not get anywhere close enough to do the damage needed.
  • Loss 3: Just a total series of headscratchers all around. Hauntzer got put onto Jayce, a champion that he looked immensely uncomfortable on. Doublelift was once again on Lucian trying to play into Aurelion Sol, who just turned him into a skeleton whenever he even attempted to get within AA range. Bjerg played an impressive Ryze game, but the relentless pressure from AS meant there was no way he could roam around and help his other lanes from sinking. There was no synergy at all on this team, and it felt like a bunch of desperation picks more than a complete strategy.

3) They made too many critical fumbles that led to the games spiraling out of control:
  • Loss 1: You're a sort-of-kind-of poke/pick comp - I guess? - that's attempting to siege a turret, and you do not have (or somehow ignore - wasn't sure if the ward actually spotted Mata) vision on the side. Mata gets the world's easiest flank and catches three people in a Pulv, including Doublelift, who immediately dies, handing over a snowballing Baron.
  • Loss 2: Bjerg and Doublelift throw good money after bad in the midlane by trying to engage in 2v4 footsie against fuckin' Jhin, opening up an incredibly easy Baron. TSM get a single good break that might let them turn the game back around after a great play by Hauntzer, and Doublelift throws it away by trying to go 1-on-1 with Crown's Viktor, who pops him in literally two spells.
  • Loss 3: The absolute disaster that happened in bot lane. Biofrost gets caught by a bubble, and Doublelift tries to stay behind so he can get a leap instead of just booking it to inner as fast as possible, with Sven following in to try and engage 1v3 against two level 5s and a level 6 Aurelion Sol. The game was completely over at this point, despite Bjerg's best attempts to bring them to a comeback.

I'd say that their drafting and their shotcalling are still their biggest weakpoints. Their three losses are just some real puzzlers of drafting and decision making. I'm also still bedazzled by how badly Doublelift wants to throw games away by being too goddamn cocky. The absolute arrogance of returning to solo pushing top lane as Jhin barely a minute after Sencux just sent you to the dumpster when you were doing the exact same thing is astonishing to see on someone who's been playing this computer game for, what, 6 or 7 years? At this point, I'm really not sure that any amount of coaching is going to get it out of his system, and I feel like he's going to be a genuine liability going forwards if Reginald wants to continue being serious about bringing TSM past groups next Worlds.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 10, 2016

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Vermain posted:

I'd say that their drafting and their shotcalling are still their biggest weakpoints. Their three losses are just some real puzzlers of drafting and decision making. I'm also still bedazzled by how badly Doublelift wants to throw games away by being too goddamn cocky. The absolute arrogance of returning to solo pushing top lane as Jhin barely a minute after Sencux just sent you to the dumpster when you were doing the exact same thing is astonishing to see on someone who's been playing this computer game for, what, 6 or 7 years? At this point, I'm really not sure that any amount of coaching is going to get it out of his system, and I feel like he's going to be a genuine liability going forwards if Reginald wants to continue being serious about bringing TSM past groups next Worlds.
One of the few areas I consistently disagree with my friends on pro lol stuff is I just think doublelift is garbage and don't understand why anyone likes him. Like I get that he makes cool technical plays now and again but more often than not he feels like he tanks losing games, loses neutral games, and maybe snowballs winning games. The only time I'm happy to see double lift on a team is when his team is already winning and he's at an advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

also i can definitely see why somebody would find it fishy that the brackets were set up to almost guarantee that a western team would make finals, because this is basically the only outcome where that could happen

If EDG had won the tie breaker against H2K or better yet not dropped their first game to a wildcard team that ended the group stage with a 1-5 record they would have a #1 slot in the bottom bracket and H2K would have to face ROX.

• Locked thread