Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I feel bad for Billy Bush. Who knew that a conversation you had with a B-list celebrity over a decade ago could ruin your career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sweet thursday posted:

I feel bad for Billy Bush. Who knew that a conversation you had with a B-list celebrity over a decade ago could ruin your career.

I did too, until I watched "Last Week Tonight." Oliver has a clip reel of him that will make you, uh, not feel sorry for him.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Majorian posted:

I did too, until I watched "Last Week Tonight." Oliver has a clip reel of him that will make you, uh, not feel sorry for him.
:colbert: It's okay

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Bush sounded, in the trump clip, like he was propelling himself through a conversation with the power of his own cowardice.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Chelb posted:

Apparently within that poll, 63% think Trump did better than expected, which makes those numbers a bit funnier imo (and in line with this thread, i think)
Basically Trump did really good for Trump, but still got his rear end handed to him (if you believe CNN).

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

They both sound like guys who spent their high school years not getting any and their 20's not getting over it.

If you have to legitimize your sexual conquests to other people, you're like the wrath without the Khan

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

ImpAtom posted:

Honest question:

Do people think Trump flubbed his attack against Bill Clinton? It seemed like he was expecting it to be more of a thing and then he just kind of dropped it? Did Clinton do the right thing just not rising to his bait there?
Those remarks by Trump were really appalling. Bill's dumb poo poo mistakes almost 2 decades ago have no bearing on Hilary's current run for president. Basically it was a low blow and Hilary did the right thing by saying she wouldn't stoop that low.

Also how the gently caress did Trump beat out his republican competition?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

sweet thursday posted:

There are millions of people in this world who deserve your sympathy more than a sexual assault enabling toady

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

There are millions of people in this world who deserve your sympathy more than a sexual assault enabling toady

It was a joke because it could be about him and Trump. See? I'm on your side. I think vaginas are for more than merely grabbing. We cool?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

sweet thursday posted:

They both sound like guys who spent their high school years not getting any and their 20's not getting over it.

He went to a military academy so I would hope he didn't get any.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Crazy Ted posted:

Basically Trump did really good for Trump, but still got his rear end handed to him (if you believe CNN).

Yeah, other polls generally show more modest results, but I can say with a lot of confidence that any other post-debate poll that isn't dogshit will show Clinton winning the debate, by a little or by a lot.

To compare:

CNN's immediate poll for the first debate had 62%-27% in favor of Hillary.

CNN's poll now is 57%-34% in favor of Hillary.

That's less big but still pretty comprehensive - and there was a good shift in the general election polling towards Hillary after the first debate.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

ijii posted:

Also how the gently caress did Trump beat out his republican competition?

By being a bully the whole way through just like now and that's what got him 99% of his media attention over the other candidates.

He starved them out of the spotlight.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

As expected, women did not care much for Trump's performance

quote:

Clinton narrowly won undecideds 44% to 41%. She was also considered “more Presidential” by a 57% to 31% margin. There was a gender gap, however: women thought Clinton won by 50-38%, while men thought Trump won by 46-43%.

71% also say Trump interrupted more often, compared to 7% who thought Clinton interrupted more.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

sweet thursday posted:

It was a joke because it could be about him and Trump. See? I'm on your side. I think vaginas are for more than merely grabbing. We cool?
It's fine. I wasn't mad. We cool

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Clinton interrupted, like, once and acknowledged it immediately and apologized. Who the gently caress would consider that "interrupting more"?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trump kept calm and hammered into Hillary on a range of topics. Of course saying we should support Iran Russia and Assad isn't exactly the best way to becom the leader of the free world. So this is a setup for the 2020 showdown when the parties are at their zenith of breakaways.

Hillary wants a No fly Zone and Safe zones. Russia said they would destroy any US Airforce elements that carpet bomb SyAAF airfields, so this is a bad thing.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

It's fine. I wasn't mad. We cool

Good because if we weren't cool I'd reach out with my man-sized hands and grab you like you were the .... is this mic on?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BGrifter posted:

Oh he's still a crazy rear end in a top hat and an all around repugnant human being. But tonight should have been much worse for him. Hillary was a little bit flat, and Trump did a reasonable approximation of calm/in control for enough stretches of the debate to call it a win.

What debate were you watching? Trump came unhinged multiple times for most of the debate including his outbursts while the mods tried to shut him up and his more than eager responses talking over the moderators while going really way off points. And man, can he whine

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ijii posted:

Those remarks by Trump were really appalling. Bill's dumb poo poo mistakes almost 2 decades ago have no bearing on Hilary's current run for president. Basically it was a low blow and Hilary did the right thing by saying she wouldn't stoop that low.
It was a loving stupid thing to bring up too, because remember what happened when this was all litigated two decades ago? Bill's approval ratings went up.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

LeoMarr posted:

Trump kept calm

Oh word?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SocketWrench posted:

What debate were you watching? Trump came unhinged multiple times for most of the debate including his outbursts while the mods tried to shut him up and his more than eager responses talking over the moderators while going really way off points. And man, can he whine

He was told his time was up, interrupted the moderator to say he hadn't answered the question, so she asked the question again, and he continued to not answer it and when he was told it was Clinton's turn he said she was taking too long. If I hadn't seen this happen live right in front of my face, I wouldn't have believed it actually happened because of how fuckin stupid it was.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hillary had to be yelled to silence multiple times during the debate. She showed her lack of media jibe in this one.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well when you blow your load too fast - like he did tonight - usually there's a lack of energy for the rest of the encounter.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

so it doesn't seem like the general public will think that he won this debate. The post-debate polls, and the media's changing tack now that the polls are out, don't even suggest he drew with Hillary.

Trump needed a strong performance to even think of erasing the impact of the leaked tapes, and not enough people think he gave one. Trump is toast.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

LeoMarr posted:

Trump kept calm

"Hurricane" Matthew only killed like 16 people

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The sad thing is that the establishment saw this coming since at least 2012 if not earlier (2008 likely with immediate vows to demonize Obama forever and stoking the Tea Party vote) but just buried their head in the sands and doubled down on racist old white males, they brought this all on themselves.

Sow the wind, reap the whirldwind, motherfuckers!

e: Hell, this poo poo has protean roots in the Atwater Southern Strategy movement in the '60s/'70s and the Goldwater Silent Majority, but the more immediate roots of the Trumpist movement being 2008/2012 with Obama causing everyone to lose their minds for sure.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 10, 2016

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Chelb posted:

so it doesn't seem like the general public will think that he won this debate. The post-debate polls, and the media's changing tack now that the polls are out, don't even suggest he drew with Hillary.

Trump needed a strong performance to even think of erasing the impact of the leaked tapes, and not enough people think he gave one. Trump is toast.

Some toast, though, if you look hard enough, why... you can see Jesus

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

She committed a crime

bruuuuuuuuh, are you for real?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Costa/Rucker post-debate article up: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...8cc0_story.html

Notably, Costa doesn't even hint at the twitter rumors that Pence is dropping out. Pretty good sign it's just wishful thinking if nobody important has mentioned it to him.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

SocketWrench posted:

It wasn't as bad as the first one.

Low praise, but that's really about it. He threw some red meat to the crazy right-fringe talk radio crowd and didn't embarrass himself quite as bad as the first time. His final answer was probably his best moment of any of the debates too.

It was still a disaster amongst independents and Democrats, but it might reel back in a few of the Republicans he's lost this week. Not enough to even sniff being competitive to win, but enough to continue dragging down the Republican Party.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeoMarr posted:

Trump kept calm

Hello, Bizzaro

LeoMarr posted:

Hillary had to be yelled to silence multiple times during the debate. She showed her lack of media jibe in this one.

As opposed to Trump, who never once got rebuked by the moderators for going over time or for interrupting :jerkbag:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Is it normal that I kind of want to vomit until there's nothing left to vomit after all of this?

At this point, I don't think I'd even be all that bothered if trump somehow won. Stupid as he's acting, he'd just fall in line and become a weak-tea reagan-wannabe as soon as he got that first foreign threat assessment on Day 1, but I just couldn't deal with all the smug ignorance his supporters would be spewing into every corner of every form of media that exists for the rest of their lives.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

Is it normal that I kind of want to vomit until there's nothing left to vomit after all of this?

At this point, I don't think I'd even be all that bothered if trump somehow won. Stupid as he's acting, he'd just fall in line and become a weak-tea reagan-wannabe as soon as he got that first foreign threat assessment on Day 1, but I just couldn't deal with all the smug ignorance his supporters would be spewing into every corner of every form of media that exists for the rest of their lives.

If you think the options are anywhere near equal in the terrible prescription they'd be writing for the disease that is humanity, then, well, pay attention I suppose

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

zxqv8 posted:

You're getting wrapped up in the media circus and should probably take a break.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I want this entire election to be made into a 2-hour movie with high production values summarizing all the highlights through stylized, dramatic cinematography; like with Trump announcing his run for the GOP nomination, Jeb Bush's "please clap" moment, and his thrashing by Trump at the debates, etc but with a lot of flashy made-up bullshit added in like a secret deal between Chris Christie and the Jersey mob to put a hit on Trump before he becomes too powerful.

It'd be great and it'd sell millions. I'll be awaiting my royalty check, Hollywood.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

sweet thursday posted:

If you think the options are anywhere near equal in the terrible prescription they'd be writing for the disease that is humanity, then, well, pay attention I suppose

No, not at all. Clinton is clearly the less bad choice, low as that bar is. It doesn't make any of this any more palatable, mind.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

zxqv8 posted:

No, not at all. Clinton is clearly the less bad choice, low as that bar is. It doesn't make any of this any more palatable, mind.

What has she done to make you view her so negatively?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I want this entire election to be made into a 2-hour movie with high production values summarizing all the highlights through stylized, dramatic cinematography; like with Trump announcing his run for the GOP nomination, Jeb Bush's "please clap" moment, and his thrashing by Trump at the debates, etc but with a lot of flashy made-up bullshit added in like a secret deal between Chris Christie and the Jersey mob to put a hit on Trump before he becomes too powerful.

It'd be great and it'd sell millions. I'll be awaiting my royalty check, Hollywood.
So basically an Oliver Stone movie about the election?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ImpAtom posted:

Honest question:

Do people think Trump flubbed his attack against Bill Clinton? It seemed like he was expecting it to be more of a thing and then he just kind of dropped it? Did Clinton do the right thing just not rising to his bait there?

I think it was basically the same problem he had with everything else. He was busy trying to say things but not go into any depth, just stumble around keywords.
Bill's sexual life, emails, benghazi, tax reforms, pussy tape....he just wants to blurt out words that acknowledge it, but then fails with anything more detailed. Take his taxes for example, he just stumbles around bragging about how his tax plan is going to lower taxes, but doesn't touch on how or why, just that "it's a great plan, the best plan"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

zxqv8 posted:

It's almost impossible for Trump to win at this point.

• Locked thread