Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

I know it's not easy to come up with witty repartee in a huge televised media spectacle like this, but I was brainstorming a lot of potential responses to some of his attempts at epic burns. She might have accused him of opening an American Bastille. She better be ready in the last debate to strike back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dude twice in a row Trump was asked point-blank at what point his behavior changed from what was shown on the most recent tape, and both times he very noticeably avoided answering the question. Right then and there I knew that he was hosed, it basically cemented the tapes as a HUGE loving PROBLEM in the minds of everyone who's not a 4chan poster

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Is anybody going to be watching the 3rd?

I mean, I won't be, for the stated fremdschamen reasons, but you bet your rear end I'll be here for the hot takes

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Missed this, what happened?

Anytime the tape came up Corey scrambled and tried to talk about ISIS instead (basically what Trump did but whinier), and also gave a boys-will-be-boys excuse.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I listened to it on the radio so maybe I have the Nixon Kennedy perspective on it. I thought he did ok pressing his points at first. The tone of his voice sounded calm and reasonable, but about halfway in he seemed to come off the rails again and his New York accent came in much more pronounced. He sounded like a used car salesman.

Also man I wish Clinton had dunked on him when he was making that stupid point about Hillary not changing the laws when she was senator. All it would have taken was a "maybe you don't know how the government actually works" kind of line.

Also, listening to chapo trap house has ruined Clinton for me. All I can hear is the democrat voice

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Polygynous posted:

12(?) dumbest people in Ohio on CNN now

update: it was more like 20, and SPOILER most of them are still undecided

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
lol Corey is back

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I would love to see footage of Pence when Trump openly disagreed with him and said they haven't spoke recently.

i want to believe that any time they're in the same room, donald refuses to speak to pence directly, but has to have somebody else in the room say it to mike for him.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Polygynous posted:

update: it was more like 20, and SPOILER most of them are still undecided

Spoiler spoiler: if they're still undecided they're either lying or not gonna vote.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Donkwich posted:

Anytime the tape came up Corey scrambled and tried to talk about ISIS instead (basically what Trump did but whinier), and also gave a boys-will-be-boys excuse.

As a boy, gently caress this poo poo. I'm sick of sexist shitheads claiming that 'yeah all men do it what's the big deal'. I don't! The men I hang out with don't! gently caress these people.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

I listened to it on the radio so maybe I have the Nixon Kennedy perspective on it. I thought he did ok pressing his points at first. The tone of his voice sounded calm and reasonable, but about halfway in he seemed to come off the rails again and his New York accent came in much more pronounced. He sounded like a used car salesman.

Also man I wish Clinton had dunked on him when he was making that stupid point about Hillary not changing the laws when she was senator. All it would have taken was a "maybe you don't know how the government actually works" kind of line.

I thought that the veto power line worked well to that effect

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Lamb Chowder posted:

I know it's not easy to come up with witty repartee in a huge televised media spectacle like this, but I was brainstorming a lot of potential responses to some of his attempts at epic burns. She might have accused him of opening an American Bastille. She better be ready in the last debate to strike back.

She doesn't seem to be able to respond well in the moment. She has canned attacks and canned, good responses to certain questions, but she's leaving tons of damage on the table.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
someone link this latest video of Corey being a caricature of Boston douchebags on CNN

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

trash person posted:

Why is he doubling down on that talking point? Like, Trump is still poo poo but there is effective campaigning his team could have built on from that debate.

Instead Trump is doubling down on the absolute worst aspect of his debate, Kellyanne is literally vomiting at the most basic of questions, Farage compared Trump to a gorilla dominating a woman.
They could have formed decent narratives out of this but instead immediately decided to focus on factors and statements that will alienate all but their base.

Are they trying to lose on purpose? Is this The Producers?

Springtime for Donald and Kellyanne?

It's almost like Trump and his followers are all a bunch of deluded retards

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lock clinton in a hyperbolic time chamber with the nations best rap battlers, so she can dish out some turn arounds and ad libbed disses

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I thought that the veto power line worked well to that effect

It's hard to simultaneously say "I only had so much influence" on the one hand and then promise to do all sorts of stuff "if I become president" on the other. She has to simply stand by her record rather than get into excuses.

EDIT: The American people want leadership, not patronizing old people with talk but no action. Trump's attacks of "well why didn't you do anything?" resonate because people know Hillary is a lying politician who focuses more on scratching the backs of donors than those of the American people.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 10, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ciaphas posted:

I should know better than to be absolutely faithful about this sort of thing but I really really want to believe Dread Abuela puppetmastered a good-not-great 2nd debate win just so she could annihilate the 3rd

There was no Machado moment when she has literally volumes of opposition research to drop bombs on him all ducking day. She pulled her punches and Trump only poo poo his pants instead of having exploding diarrhea as a result.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Amergin posted:

She doesn't seem to be able to respond well in the moment. She has canned attacks and canned, good responses to certain questions, but she's leaving tons of damage on the table.

Townhall isn't her best format, and she definitely flubbed some answers and missed opportunities. Still, based on the best knowledge we have now, she won handily. Turns out lowered expectations only work in debates if you can actually raise those expectations... you know, at some point. Persistently low expectations aren't good - real shocking.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lamb Chowder posted:

People. People. Amergin is right, I want to grab and shake you.

Who the gently caress:

1) is an undecided voter

2) knows what the Bastille is

Jesus Christ

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Night10194 posted:

As a boy, gently caress this poo poo. I'm sick of sexist shitheads claiming that 'yeah all men do it what's the big deal'. I don't! The men I hang out with don't! gently caress these people.

I know its not true, but the insistence over and over does kinda make a little bit of the back of your brain think "maybe that is how all the guys I know talk as soon as you're not around" kinda thing. I think that kinda sums up why their deflection by saying "everyone does it its just locker room talk" is seriously a backfire.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

speng31b posted:

Townhall isn't her best format, and she definitely flubbed some answers and missed opportunities. Still, based on the best knowledge we have now, she won handily. Turns out lowered expectations only work in debates if you can actually raise those expectations... you know, at some point. Persistently low expectations aren't good - real shocking.

I dont understand why we have town halls. This is a room of the dumbest people in America, undecided voters, and we think its a good idea to surround the candidates with them and let them ask questions. I'm proud that Coopy-baby didn't let them talk all that much.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ron Jeremy posted:

Also, listening to chapo trap house has ruined Clinton for me. All I can hear is the democrat voice

She said maybe you don't know about a thing called a Veto though

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

woke wedding drone posted:

People. People. Amergin is right, I want to grab and shake you.

Who the gently caress:

1) is an undecided voter

2) knows what the Bastille is

Jesus Christ

Amergin is re-purposing right-wing forum posts and posting them here, then taking our responses and posting them elsewhere.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

sarmhan posted:

Amergin is re-purposing right-wing forum posts and posting them here, then taking our responses and posting them elsewhere.

good

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Btw hot take. During the debate I asked my almost four year old son who he would rather have as president. He chose Hilary.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

You can tell CNN knew they were running over but by God they were going to end the debate on that "CAN'T WE HUG IT OUT" bullshit question no matter the time.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Did you ever see what happened when that motherfucker tried to fly a plane
Yes. That was hilarious.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

speng31b posted:

The polls don't tell me who I think won, and I would encourage hesitation on reacting to polls this early/quickly after the debate, especially if the polls support not who you think won the debate but who you hope won the debate.

Don't be going all Romney circlejerking over polls prematurely, now.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
The other weird thing to me besides Donnie not knowing what a Senator does is him claiming that Hillary was responsible for the Birther movement? Like, what? Really? What the loving hell, man. :psyduck:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

speng31b posted:

Town hall is usually a pretty good format for her.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

sarmhan posted:

Yes, he's mastered one of our styles. But try my mantis style.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

disjoe posted:

You can tell CNN knew they were running over but by God they were going to end the debate on that "CAN'T WE HUG IT OUT" bullshit question no matter the time.

"Hillary. Before we go. Say something nice about Trump. Do it." :smuggo:

:getout:

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BaDandy posted:

The other weird thing to me besides Donnie not knowing what a Senator does is him claiming that Hillary was responsible for the Birther movement? Like, what? Really? What the loving hell, man. :psyduck:

It was started by her supporters in 2008, and supported by low level staffers (who were quickly fired)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BaDandy posted:

It goes back to the claim that Sidney Blumenthal was the first person to raise questions about Barack Obama's "real" birthplace, which would have happened during the 2008 Democratic primaries.

Which he didn't.

At all.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Also she didn't ruthlessly dunk on Trump when he predictably brought up Bill, like everyone thought she would. She whiffed it.

She didn't lose this debate, or at least she didn't lose the debate enough to make any difference, but she didn't shut down the Trump campaign, either. This was a disappointing performance from Hillary.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It really is weird how cursory the town hall format has become.

town hall debate:actual town hall::foil fencing:dueling

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Also she didn't ruthlessly dunk on Trump when he predictably brought up Bill, like everyone thought she would. She whiffed it.

She didn't lose this debate, or at least she didn't lose the debate enough to make any difference, but she didn't shut down the Trump campaign, either. This was a disappointing performance from Hillary.
Polling says otherwise. And the news cycle is going to be dominated by Trump's fuckups again.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Amergin posted:

The polls don't tell me who I think won, and I would encourage hesitation on reacting to polls this early/quickly after the debate, especially if the polls support not who you think won the debate but who you hope won the debate.

Don't be going all Romney circlejerking over polls prematurely, now.

I not only take the polls with a grain of salt, I take the implication that "winning a debate" is meaningful pretty lightly. What you quoted me saying is still completely accurate - based on what we know now, it's true.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

BaDandy posted:

It really doesn't matter to the people he's trying to get to vote for him. Either he manages to lie and trick them to get them on board with his crazy poo poo or his own supporters start concocting crazy poo poo up to justify his comments in the wake of the scandal.

And if that fails? Well, the man's an industrialized scandal machine. To the media that'll be yesterday's news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I hope someone makes a compilation of Trump complaining about Cooper and Raddatz, including muttering "it's 3 against 1 :qq:"

• Locked thread