Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

I went to an anime convention yesterday and played some wheel of fortune there again and won this

http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/3656/Nendoroid+Petite+x+Mini+4WD+Racing+Miku+2012+ver+drives+Astute+Special.html

It's a cute model kit with a tiny miku thing, and hell, free poo poo is cool

This owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played through Yakuza 1 and 2 thinking to play through the whole series when 5 came out but after the first two I was so sick of the combat that I gave up on the series

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

from what i've heard it starts getting really good at 4 or 3 ??

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's one of my favourite series but yeah it's not something that really lends itself well to that kind of binging. They're surprisingly long games and I could see the combat getting super repetitive trying to marathon the games

I started with 3 then played each one as it's been released (I never played 1/2 because I was hoping the HD ports Japan got would make it over here, but I guess not)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I wish the HD ports came out here- eh we'll see how it goes. If I just get totally burned out on the combat I can watch the cutscenes on YouTube or something and play the later ones.

I am super charmed by the whole experience so far though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love Yakuza but even still had a hard time getting through 4 and 5. They're mad long RPGs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to play the Yakuza games but dont have my PS3 anymore. I really hope the next game in the series comes to America, but I know that might be a very long wait if it ever does.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

No, what I said was that it's difficult to really get into the romances since you only ever get to know the characters superficially.

Finding out that the guy who made the game started it because he had graduated from college with a CS degree and couldn't get a better job than working as a theater usher and wanted something to do with his life makes the initial superficiality of the romances a lot more understandable, because most of the people you can romance are in similar situations where they're living with family or in a trailer or a shack and are all working menial jobs and struggling to find something to do with their lives. In Harvest Moon every girl's already got a set job and character (baker, bartender, flower girl, etc.) but in Stardew Valley everyone's trapped in the rut that anybody who graduated from college in this recession can relate to and it's only through getting to know the player character that they break out of it: Elliott finally finishes his book, Sebastian starts making a game on his own instead of doing contract work, Emily starts to expand her interest in sewing into a viable career, Shane copes with his depression at working at JojaMart by finding meaning in his life doing things outside of work like raising chickens and making movies, etc. Even the people who live on their own and have careers like Penny and Harvey have similar problems with being unsatisfied that they reveal to you and work through with your help.

Granted, that doesn't make it any less compelling when you start the game and nobody's really all that interesting but at least it's something. Even people you can't romance have some things going on beneath the surface, like Marnie and Lewis having an affair on the sly which you discover when a sidequest to find the mayor's missing pants is solved by you finding them in her bedroom, or the fact that there's an ongoing war with a rival nation that you only ever learn about through offhanded references from the traveling cart merchant and a soldier character who returns home in your second year with PTSD from being held in a POW camp.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Finding out that the guy who made the game started it because he had graduated from college with a CS degree and couldn't get a better job than working as a theater usher and wanted something to do with his life makes the initial superficiality of the romances a lot more understandable, because most of the people you can romance are in similar situations where they're living with family or in a trailer or a shack and are all working menial jobs and struggling to find something to do with their lives. In Harvest Moon every girl's already got a set job and character (baker, bartender, flower girl, etc.) but in Stardew Valley everyone's trapped in the rut that anybody who graduated from college in this recession can relate to and it's only through getting to know the player character that they break out of it: Elliott finally finishes his book, Sebastian starts making a game on his own instead of doing contract work, Emily starts to expand her interest in sewing into a viable career, Shane copes with his depression at working at JojaMart by finding meaning in his life doing things outside of work like raising chickens and making movies, etc. Even the people who live on their own and have careers like Penny and Harvey have similar problems with being unsatisfied that they reveal to you and work through with your help.

Granted, that doesn't make it any less compelling when you start the game and nobody's really all that interesting but at least it's something. Even people you can't romance have some things going on beneath the surface, like Marnie and Lewis having an affair on the sly which you discover when a sidequest to find the mayor's missing pants is solved by you finding them in her bedroom, or the fact that there's an ongoing war with a rival nation that you only ever learn about through offhanded references from the traveling cart merchant and a soldier character who returns home in your second year with PTSD from being held in a POW camp.

so you're saying the protagonist is everyone else's manic pixie dream girl

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mutata posted:

This owns.

Thanks

I also won from the same thing a 3d puzzle of jiji from kiki's delivery service

Though that second pic isn't accurate, the one I have doesn't have detachable ears, dunno why that was changed between versions

This was the third time they ran wheel of fortune at this con. The first time they ran it, kcb & I got to play and we both won first and second place respectively so we ended up with some cool poo poo, I ended up winning a special grand final prize that ended up being some miku racecar thing (like, just a racecar with miku decals), and they had that miku nendo car as a special wheel prize too and he didnt get rid of it til I got to try again the third time he ran the wheel of fortune. KCB got to play yesterday too and ended up getting to pick out a $20 amazon gift card or some anime merch (and went with the $20 gift card, I'd have gone with that too but I wasn't eligible to get it since most of my earnings came from the value of the miku nendo car thing). She also won some random rurouni kenshin stuff (two mini posters of sano and whoever that one girl that sold opium or whatever was and some keychain thing of some guy with two swords, dunno who)

:shrug: free stuff, cool, I feel bad for the person in was playing who had no clue how to play wheel of fortune tho and ended up losing, not having won any round

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

so you're saying the protagonist is everyone else's manic pixie dream girl

Manic Stardew Dream Person, to be more specific.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh hey, Nanobreaker is actually sorta fun. I figured with it being the butt of many jokes that it would be bad.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Finished all the Rayman Legends stuff that isn't Origins and annoyed about the Origins stuff. On one hand, it's neat that they put the whole game in Legends, but on the other hand, it's annoying to link it to game unlocks. I can't collect all the silly creatures without replaying all of Origins, which I've already plat'ed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

Oh hey, Nanobreaker is actually sorta fun. I figured with it being the butt of many jokes that it would be bad.

I remember it being okay but suffering from the same problem as all of IGA's 3D games, lack of interesting level design and not really having the combat chops to make up for it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I was so hopeful for the new King's Quest series but episode 4 was absolutely terrible :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

blk posted:

I was so hopeful for the new King's Quest series but episode 4 was absolutely terrible :(

sierra's homestuck: the game disappointed us all

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Did that homestuck game ever actually come out? I didn't just imagine Hussie crowdfunding that, did I?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There was a big rumor that the developer took money from the game's kickstarter to make King's Quest under Activison. Shortly after this rumor came to light, they were dropped in favor of the game being developed incredibly slowly in-house. Whether the rumor was actually true or not was never made clear.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Red Bones posted:

Did that homestuck game ever actually come out? I didn't just imagine Hussie crowdfunding that, did I?
A trailer for it came out this week

it's called HIVESWAP

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fxjFTKpErM&t=125s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6d7vJd15fU&t=35s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nq715hzLCw&t=247s

corn in the bible posted:

yakuza is Very Good and people who want more shenmue should maybe just realize that they're pretty much the same thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UZR5SI8faY

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 10, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh hey Games chat,
Paper Mario: Color Splash is good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Oh hey Games chat,
Paper Mario: Color Splash is good.

It is. It's not without issues and has some baffling design decisions but I'm having lots of fun with it. The main improvement over Sticker Star is that every single level is unique and memorable rather than having themed areas of varying quality.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It is charming as gently caress and won my heart.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I recently moved to a new town and was hanging out at a coffee place, chatting with the 19 year old coffee dude when we started talking about video games. I'm 32 years old; I haven't had a real conversation with someone that young since I was...well, it's been a while. I was interested in what the first video game system he played was. MY first was like, an Atari 2600 or something. But I wondered what he would say. Nintendo 64, maybe?

He said: "Oh, I started out playing Mario on the sness."
"The what?"
"Sness."
"What is that?"
"The Sness?"
"Yeah."
"It's like...well, it came after the Nez."
"The Nez?"
"Yeah. You should know."
"I've never heard...Oh! Wait, are you saying S.N.E.S., like the Super Nintendo?"
"Yeah, that's what it's called."

I'd never heard someone sound out the acronym phonetically. I thought this must be just something from his generation. I've never heard anyone else say it like that except that, when I asked my girlfriend about it, she says she's heard lots of people pronounce it that way. And I was listening to the Cane and Rinse podcast, and these guys are like, thirty, forty years old, my age or older, and THEY said "Sness."

So I'm baffled. When did SNES and NES start being pronounced phonetically? Were they ALWAYS pronounced phonetically, but apparently just not where I grew up (Oregon)? Is it a new trend that has just like, gone viral? Was it regional? When I hear these words it hurts my ears. It's like when someone says I live in "Or-ee-gawn." I mean, I guess that's subjective, but it feels awful.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's always been pronounced like that in the UK.

Or at least I've never heard anyone call it the S N E S out loud.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

snes sounds dumb but it's better than s.n.e.s. super nintendo is 👌

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I guess I've always just called it the Nintendo and the Super Nintendo.

I guess it's more efficient to reduce it to a single syllable, though...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

As far as I know all 3 variations have always been used without any particular rhyme or reason

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I call it the super famicom

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's when you want to pronounce SNES ASAP.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

And when you don't want to pronounce SNES ASAP you have SNASAPES

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Me and all my friends called it a sness

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

And when you don't want to pronounce SNES ASAP you have SNASAPES

snes apes 2 was better than snes apes. a lot of people hate snes apes 3 but it's worth playing through i think

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NES = Nintendo
SNES = sness
Nintendo 64 = 64
Gamecube = The Cube
Wii = Wii
Wii U = no one talks about it
any xbox = xbox, and then if you have to clarify you just say what year the game came out in
Playstation is easy with the numbers
Sega consoles = lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i call the gamecube "dolph fundgren"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

In Training posted:

any xbox = xbox, and then if you have to clarify you just say what year the game came out in

'the bone' is the typical way to refer to xbox one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dreamcast is a top tier console name

e: Master System is also extremely good

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

In Training posted:

Playstation is easy with the numbers

It's pronounced "Piss4"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sega was good with console names

Real fuckin good

Was Ness' name in japanese earthbound still Ness, or was it like Fami or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Wii U

No, not the Wii, the Wii U

No I'm not talking about YOU

WiiiiYaaaa

• Locked thread