Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jesus christ.

as the dwarves i've started a war against the VC.

Every campaign i organize results in each of my army getting attacking by three stacks of undead. Usually i beat the first two but the third just hammers away at the remaining stunties in a tremendous bloodbath.

This causes me to get a massive upkeep reduction which allows me to create newer and improved armies.

....while at the same time leaving gigantic piles of high quality dead bodies that allow the VC to lick their wounds with terrorgasms and fluffies (i downloaded a mod to give the undead easier time recruiting better toys).

The end result is that 50 turns later the Chaos invasion has trigged and after countless attempts at invading Sylvania and fending off incredibly large undead sieges both sides have yet to conquer a single walled settlement. The loot i get from beating the poo poo out of undead stacks fuels my next army and my dead bodies fuel their undead hordes.

Archaeon and the parrot dude are reaching VC land and they still refuse a peace offer. And even if they did accept a peace offer i have grudges to settle with Kemmler and both Carsteins.

Total War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'm still not allowed to go home yet from Matthew, but I'll post my steam info as soon as I can get back to my PC.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Didn't that basically happen with orks and nids in 40k?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

What dictates which of the cloak of molten metal quests you get as Gelt?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

What dictates which of the cloak of molten metal quests you get as Gelt?

The Molten Metal quest line is linear, it just makes you fight two battles to get a mediocre magic item. Welcome to playing Gelt.

The Amulet of Sea Gold lets you choose between two battles but you end up having to fight both.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Krazyface posted:

Didn't that basically happen with orks and nids in 40k?

The Kryptmann gambit is that, yeah, but it likely means super nids in the long run.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

The Kryptmann gambit is that, yeah, but it likely means super nids in the long run.

Or super-Orks. The average Ork boy there is the size of a small warboss. :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

And super/bigger Orks to boot :getin:

Hope they make an announcement tomorrow! Or at least a teaser.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/785465195573444608

That's pretty blatantly hinting towards a Orcs/Dwarves LL pack, so I guess they may have changed the schedule after all.

Next Lord pack+White Dwarf now and Wood Elves bundled with Brettonia later makes a certain amount of sense I suppose.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yaaaay time to throw away more money into this singularity of a video game...

AND LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxcq4I0kAo

:orks101:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
How can VC effectively clean up the Chaos invasion once the stacks scatter?

I'm playing a co op VC campaign and we own the VC spooky homeland and over West to Altdorf, so everywhere else we take attrition. Archaeon doesn't want to come over and play, and if we roll around trying to get him we will lose too much to attrition to beat him.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Captain Beans posted:

How can VC effectively clean up the Chaos invasion once the stacks scatter?

I'm playing a co op VC campaign and we own the VC spooky homeland and over West to Altdorf, so everywhere else we take attrition. Archaeon doesn't want to come over and play, and if we roll around trying to get him we will lose too much to attrition to beat him.

Just ignore them, if you go at them they will run circles around you unless you have some kick-rear end banshees to block army them to death. Build tall, fortify your lands, make money and expand slowly but surely whenever you can, they will eventually beeline for you.

Hell yes, CA take my money (again).

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

xthetenth posted:

my dad posted:

Yeah there's a fan-setting where that whole mess erupted into an Ork/Tyranid crossbreed that nearly ate the galaxy before disappearing for mysterious reasons.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

my dad posted:

Somehow this tidbit of warhammer lore escaped me.

Time to read up!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dogstile posted:

Somehow this tidbit of warhammer lore escaped me.

Time to read up!

To prevent leviathan from striking the imperium, inquisitor kryptmann set about exterminating planets to firm a tunnel that would lead the hive fleet towards a large ork empire called octarius. This stalled the hive fleet but had the unfortunate side effect of creating an all out brawl that puts most other current conflicts in the galaxy to shame.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Arcsquad12 posted:

To prevent leviathan from striking the imperium, inquisitor kryptmann set about exterminating planets to firm a tunnel that would lead the hive fleet towards a large ork empire called octarius. This stalled the hive fleet but had the unfortunate side effect of creating an all out brawl that puts most other current conflicts in the galaxy to shame.

The main problem is that eventually, something is going to win.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah that's a lovely outcome no matter what. You either get a giant super powered WAAAGH on your rear end, or you get orked up Tyranids :ohdear:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Orks with scavenged nid wargear/machines

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Orks with scavenged nid wargear/machines

What, you mean Squigs?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yukitsu posted:

What, you mean Squigs?
Nah, like this:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

madmac posted:

The Molten Metal quest line is linear, it just makes you fight two battles to get a mediocre magic item. Welcome to playing Gelt.

The Amulet of Sea Gold lets you choose between two battles but you end up having to fight both.

There why is it that the quest battles challenge mode has two versions of the molten metal broken leg gully fight? In the campaign itself I always get the first version then proceed as normal to the fight against the empire wizard. Is the second version of the first fight something that was cut from the main campaign?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The key detail is that both Tyranids and Orks thrive on conflict. Tyranids use the biomass and evolve, Orks literally get bigger and stronger as they fight and win.

(Un)fortunately, I don't think that trait is shared with Fantasy Orcs. Likewise with the whole "Greenskins are all literal sentient murder mushrooms" thing.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

madmac posted:

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/785465195573444608

That's pretty blatantly hinting towards a Orcs/Dwarves LL pack, so I guess they may have changed the schedule after all.

Next Lord pack+White Dwarf now and Wood Elves bundled with Brettonia later makes a certain amount of sense I suppose.

The dlc order switch makes sense. They've fallen behind their original schedule and they undoubtedly want to release DLC near Christmas. So they move Wood Elves back so they aren't as rushed and can release it + Brettonia for maximum Christmas-time hype. Whatever they originally planned for Christmas gets pushed back and the Legendary Lord pack gets bumped forward to fill the gap and appease or and dwarf players who feel neglected

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
How does Call of Warhammer compare to TW:W? I came across some videos and the unit diversity looked really good, all things considered. I've put over 200 hours into TW:W with a bunch of different mods, etc, but now I'm starting to get bored of the choices.

Medieval 2 was my favorite Total War game I've played so I'm gonna give it a try no matter what, I just want to know how much I should temper my expectations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Im pretry okay with the switch, the other 2 settled factions feel a bit incomplete compared to empire and vc now.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, like this:

'Ten rows a teef? Dats it!?! Putta iron gob on dat fing!!! Make it proppa orky!'

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, like this:

cool good & interesting posts about total warhammer. thanks for sharing

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, like this:

That better be in the Grudge and the Green DLC opposed the Dwarf Zeppellin or I am gonna have to buy it only half-heartedly.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

fnordcircle posted:

How does Call of Warhammer compare to TW:W? I came across some videos and the unit diversity looked really good, all things considered. I've put over 200 hours into TW:W with a bunch of different mods, etc, but now I'm starting to get bored of the choices.

Medieval 2 was my favorite Total War game I've played so I'm gonna give it a try no matter what, I just want to know how much I should temper my expectations.

I honestly would be hard pressed to go back to it just due to the base game and its QOL problems inherent to that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZearothK posted:

That better be in the Grudge and the Green DLC opposed the Dwarf Zeppellin or I am gonna have to buy it only half-heartedly.

The Grudger in the Green

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Count me in for the latest goon tournament, btw. I didn't make my intent to participate clear in my initial response.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

my dad posted:

The Grudger in the Green

Da squig an' da stunty.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

"Green Lives Matter", just so we can all in unison cringe and wonder what the gently caress they were thinking.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Da Gits N' Da Udda Gits

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dandywalken posted:

"Green Lives Matter", just so we can all in unison cringe and wonder what the gently caress they were thinking.

In all seriousness, I could totally see Games Workshop doing this. Fortunately (or unfortunately if you like trainwrecks :v:) Creative Assembly less so.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just remembered that last week, and many pages ago, I said that in a little bit I'd throw up a mod file that lowers the required settlement level for buildings. So here's a quick and dirty one done in 10 minutes, 6 days after I said I'd do it

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=38805745759638736222

SickZip fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 11, 2016

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Captain Beans posted:

Is there interest in another goon multiplayer tournament? I'd like to start up another one, with a focus on underused factions and units. Specifically possibly using a version of the tabletop limits on core/special/rare units, probably going to modify it a bit.

Prelim rules below, all thoughts/feedback is welcome. We can scrap the core/special/rare system if people don't like it.

Here's my steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/thanqol/

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fnordcircle posted:

it's balls to the walls crazy, it takes the medieval engine to it's maximum capacity and the campaign is bonkers and barely functional or good due to so many scripts thrown against you.

but if you can get by medieval 2's outdated total war mechanics you can have some of the best custom battles you can get in a TW game.

but just buy TW:W because the campaign is actually playable.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cue9c6eWYAAU4P5.jpg:large

Another one of these. By my reading it confirms Thorek vs Skarsnik, but there's probably some other hint in there for people who know their dwarf lore.

Edit: The letter is written from Belagar to Thorek, but Belegar is the most boring possible LL while Thorek is the Runedude so I'm still betting on Thorek.

It also references Skaven but I'm not getting any hopes up based on that.

TLDR on semi-confirmed stuff.

The theme for the dlc is definitely Battle for the 8 Peaks, a three way battle royale between Dwarves, Goblins, and Skavens. It's the southern clusterfuck area of the badlands with the capital held by the Crooked Moon Goblin Clan and disputed by Karak Azul.

Thorek Ironbrow is the Dwarves Master Runelord dude, he is the best at runes and can bring the Anvil of Doom. Also has a magic hammer and armor.

Belegar IronHammer is the wannabe true King of the 8 Peaks, he's an upjumped generic Dwarf Lord with a magic hammer and shield, could see him getting the Toddbringer treatment.

Skarsnik is the Night Goblin scheming Warboss dude who rides a pet squig and would be perfect as the dude that makes goblin armies viable on top of bringing squigs. Also has like a magic squig prod that shoots magic bolts.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

madmac posted:

TLDR on semi-confirmed stuff.

The theme for the dlc is definitely Battle for the 8 Peaks, a three way battle royale between Dwarves, Goblins, and Skavens. It's the southern clusterfuck area of the badlands with the capital held by the Crooked Moon Goblin Clan and disputed by Karak Azul.

Thorek Ironbrow is the Dwarves Master Runelord dude, he is the best at runes and can bring the Anvil of Doom. Also has a magic hammer and armor.

Belegar IronHammer is the wannabe true King of the 8 Peaks, he's an upjumped generic Dwarf Lord with a magic hammer and shield, could see him getting the Toddbringer treatment.

Skarsnik is the Night Goblin scheming Warboss dude who rides a pet squig and would be perfect as the dude that makes goblin armies viable on top of bringing squigs. Also has like a magic squig prod that shoots magic bolts.

I agree with your reading, even though the lore indicates Belegar vs Skarsnik, Thorek would be a better fit for the dwarfs right now. Belegar's lore was mostly used for the final story of the first Gotrek & Felix novel and is a pretty generic character. I thought before this was revealed that the orc lord would have been Wuzzrag, but maybe CA is reserving here for a wild orc themed expansion.

• Locked thread