Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Annath posted:

3. If I wanted to make it "OG" Hellenistic, is there a mod to make that a viable religion? Is the base gamer supporting it now? I'm out of the loop.

Ancient Religions Reborn is probably still the go-to mod for simply making Hellenic (and Celtic, and Egyptian) paganisms into viable religions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know why 5,000 Kipchacks and Khazars keep raiding North Africa in 800? Its ruining my game...

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Weavered posted:

If I restore the schism and make Catholicism an Orthodox heresy will that remove Crusades as an option for Europe against the Aztecs?

Reposting from the last page. Anyone know?

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

Weavered posted:

Unless you convert to the heretical Catholicism and make it the dominant religion, yes. Orthodox doesn't have crusades and doesn't gain them after mending the schism.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Annath posted:

3. If I wanted to make it "OG" Hellenistic, is there a mod to make that a viable religion? Is the base gamer supporting it now? I'm out of the loop.
Base game doesn't support it, but CK2+ does, and is an improvement in a number of other ways as well.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Yes, now all of tbose tiny greek islands are singular provinces.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

...is that supposed to be about CK2+? Because no, they're not. As far as I can tell, it doesn't alter the greek islands in any way.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
When will Isle of Man receive it's due?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 9, 2016

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Strudel Man posted:

...is that supposed to be about CK2+? Because no, they're not. As far as I can tell, it doesn't alter the greek islands in any way.

A lot of goons love to make fun of mods because they like to play an inferior game, i guess.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Look at all these non-Island living scrubs that don't realize Island supremacy

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Buschmaki posted:

Don't play SWMH I guess, that's the only mod that does stuff like that

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Look at all these non-Island living scrubs that don't realize Island supremacy

On the one hand, it's the ultimate defensive advantage; anyone attacking you will need to bring massive amounts of men to overcome the landing penalties. On the other, advancing your interests from there is also a problem.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Kainser posted:

Don't play SWMH I guess, that's the only mod that does stuff like that

Yeah that and viet events are the only big mods you should avoid.

Viet is poo poo like "your capital now produces the best hummus! How do you like to eat it options: with chips, (+2 prestige), with vegetables (+2 piety), I hate hummus! (+1 prestige +1 piety)"

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Strudel Man posted:

It makes Corfu a province and adds other little provinces everywhere, it says as much on the wiki.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

It makes Corfu a province and adds other little provinces everywhere, it says as much on the wiki.
Ah, you're right, I missed that one. It does add Corfu.

edit: Huh. Apparently a mystic doctor can sacrifice your child as a treatment...even if you don't have a child.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 9, 2016

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Weavered posted:

Crusades are disabled after mending the Schism for both Catholic and Fraticelli.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's a good place to start in learning what seems like a really complicated game? I assume I should start really far down the feudal ladder so I have minimal responsibilities?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Lone Badger posted:

What's a good place to start in learning what seems like a really complicated game? I assume I should start really far down the feudal ladder so I have minimal responsibilities?

Start as one of the counts in Ireland in the 1066 start date. Ireland is known as "tutorial island" for a reason.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mumu is probably the best start, given that you can get three counties all to yourself really easily (revoke your vassal's with a plot, then use your de jure claim on the third Mumu county). Then you only need four forged claims to have enough land to make the Kingdom of Ireland and have almost everyone else swear fealty to you.

Dublin is the second-easiest start, since Dublin is the best single county in Ireland and your dad (who owns the county south of you) will die shortly and leave you his land, bringing you up to two, but you'll still need to forge four claims at minimum (if you go for Mumu you only need two-thirds of it before you can make the ducal title and get the last one de jure, assuming you take out Murchad in the process) and start with less land and troops to your name, making it a bit more difficult. Still, it's very simple as well.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 10, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roland Jones posted:

Mumu is probably the best start, given that you can get three counties all to yourself really easily (revoke your vassal's with a plot, then use your de jure claim on the third Mumu county). Then you only need four forged claims to have enough land to make the Kingdom of Ireland and have almost everyone else swear fealty to you.

I've never had anyone swear fealty to me in Ireland. I think there may be a thing where Dukes who have the style "petty king" consider themselves to be kings, so won't swear fealty to another King.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
That's just dukes in general, who will have the 'small difference in rank' modifier. As a King you can hoover up independent counts of your culture/religion in your de jure kingdom, but good luck getting anyone else to swear fealty without going to war.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Modern CK2+ is a weird goblin squatting in the skin of what was once necessary and good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Boing posted:

That's just dukes in general, who will have the 'small difference in rank' modifier. As a King you can hoover up independent counts of your culture/religion in your de jure kingdom, but good luck getting anyone else to swear fealty without going to war.

You can get dukes too, but they need to have high opinion of you instead of just not-hating you (which is how it works with counts).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jabor posted:

You can get dukes too, but they need to have high opinion of you instead of just not-hating you (which is how it works with counts).

Or you need to have a significantly larger army so they know they can't resist you.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Hell-purging the aristocracy after a punishing civil war feels great. 3000 tyrant modifier, my councillors hate and are trying to kill me after I slaughter their noble houses and then throw the entire court in jail.

I think I'm going to replace the former Englishmen with Lombards. My dynasty isn't quite big enough, but after a few lives with 20+ children, I'll have enough people of my dynasty to replace the entirety of England with my dynasty.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A White Guy posted:

I think I'm going to replace the former Englishmen with Lombards. My dynasty isn't quite big enough, but after a few lives with 20+ children, I'll have enough people of my dynasty to replace the entirety of England with my dynasty.

Whenever I start an Ireland game I always fling husbands at countesses and duchesses too stupid to demand matri-marriage. With tanistry there's always the possibility that suddenly some count in Frisia winds up with the crown of Eire. Which is a fun and anticipated outcome.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Dareon posted:

Whenever I start an Ireland game I always fling husbands at countesses and duchesses too stupid to demand matri-marriage. With tanistry there's always the possibility that suddenly some count in Frisia winds up with the crown of Eire. Which is a fun and anticipated outcome.

I hate doing the seniority+marry everyone because mah pretty borders :negative:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
New DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-27-continued-converter-capabilities.973243
Mostly converter stuff. Also, patch tomorrow!

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
What I love doing with Tanistry is having a poo poo tonne of Dukes as lesser branches of my family and cherry picking the occasional genius that comes along as my heir. This is especially true if you control the election as the only voter in the entire Kingdom, which is very easy with Wales and Brittany and doable with Ireland and Scotland using a megacount (2 votes, but your vote is the only one that counts). It's basically just as good as republic's designated heir system, only with the campaign fund management.

A good example of this is my Pryydain game, where I have 5 vassal Dukes all of my family: who were given all the land in their territory, which was then split due to gavelkind, so that almost every county in my vassal dukes land has a count level cadet branch of my family to choose from (excepting the Duke of Powys who owns all of de jure Powys so that there is only one other vote in the Kingdom of Wales) from which I can choose to make any member of my family the heir and inherit their lands and/or pick the random strong genius that occasionally pops up due to luck.

Basically this game was for me to see just how far I could abuse Tanistry and inbreeding and you really, REALLY can abuse it. It's easily one of if not the best government type.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

:swoon:

Are those religions getting these symbols in CK2 as well? And if not, can they? Please?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Wish it came with a legend! And yeah, sure hope those get brought into CKII as well

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Don't think those specifically will end up in CK2 as they are in the artistic style of EU4 icons. Doesn't mean that in the future that new symbols won't appear.
Also I might be completely wrong.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
5th from the left? What is that?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is that a Faravahar with a cross coming out of it? What does that represent? Manichaeism? Is there a Mazdakism icon up there as well that I'm missing? (Fifth from the right maybe?)

I do like those icons, though. And the patch coming out tomorrow is good news; might try to get some more games in before Civ VI comes out and consumes me for a while.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 10, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Top Hats Monthly posted:

5th from the left? What is that?

Speculative list:

Nestorian (possibly Messalian)
??? (possibly Manichaen)
Messalian (possibly Nestorian)
Cathar
Fraticelli
Waldensian
Lollard
Monophysite
Paulician
Monothelite
Iconoclasm
Bogomilist (?)
??? (possibly Manichaen or Zun)
??? (possibly Zikri or Kharijite)
Druze
??? (possibly Zikri or Kharijite)
??? (possibly Mazdaki or Manichaen)
Yazidi
Hurufi
Samaritan (Could be Karaite)
Karaite (Could be Samaritan)

e: Which means there's now a whole bunch of Christian sects that could potentially show up in 1444- but not the Hussites.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 10, 2016

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Hey, I know you always get asked this but will the next patch be savegame compatible? I have a Reapers Due save that happened right as it was released and I want to know if I have to stick with an earlier version.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Rule of thumb, always assume patches are not compatible with older saves. Do backups of your save if you are upgrading to a newer patch. Though this is a minor patch so it might potentially be compatible.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Yeah, I'd make a backup as Groogy says, but I am reasonably sure it'll work. The main problem would be if you've been using modded traits since we add some more in 2,6,2 and they'll break. Without modded traits I'd expect things to be fine.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Groogy posted:

Rule of thumb, always assume patches are not compatible with older saves. Do backups of your save if you are upgrading to a newer patch. Though this is a minor patch so it might potentially be compatible.

What's the best way to backup Ironman saves? I assume it's more than just making a copy of the ck2 save dir in the user's home directory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

If you save the ironman save locally, that is all you gotta do.

• Locked thread