Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
If you had to pick only 3 books to read for the rest of your life, what would they be?

Note that I didn't ask about favourite books, or "books everybody should read in their lifetime", but rather books that are layered enough and provide enough food for thought that you can return to them time after time.

1. The Bible isn't an acceptable answer because it's not one book.
2. Answers like Wikipedia may be technically okay, but they are clearly exploiting a loophole and annoying as gently caress, so don't use them.

My top three:
a. Aristotle Nicomachean Ethics. If I had to pick a non-fiction, I'd rather have a guide-book on how to live (even if not reading anything else kinda interferes with some of the suggestions there).
b. War and Peace - great fiction, history, a lot of characters, this one has it all. Plus, it's hard to get bored with it since it will take a LOT of reading to get sufficiently familiarized with everything that's going on.
c. Maimonides' The Guide for the Perplexed. A way to look at religion, philosophy and what it means to search for wisdom.

H.H fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Wouldn't there be a lot of overlap between favorite and most nuanced? And what are your three???

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I rarely ever reread books but I would probably take Gravity's Rainbow, Pale Fire and the Baghavad Gīta.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Kuato posted:

Wouldn't there be a lot of overlap between favorite and most nuanced? And what are your three???

1. There might be. I just wanted to stress the point, since some people like books that they will be tired of really quickly.

2. You're right, I forgot about it. Will edit my OP shortly.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

2001: A Space Odyssey, Jurassic Park, and maybe Rendezvous With Rama. I come back to those three every few years and consistently get something new out of them each time.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Heath posted:

I rarely ever reread books but I would probably take Gravity's Rainbow, Pale Fire and the Baghavad Gīta.

Why Pale Fire? Interesting choice.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

H.H posted:

Why Pale Fire? Interesting choice.

There are a lot of different ways to read it. If I read it again I think I will read the commentary alongside each line.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord
I've read Dostoevsky's Demons a few times and still don't get it, so that'd be one. Maybe Dune, because it's a solid book IMO. Schlesinger's RFK bio covers a lot of ground, so that'd be my third. :shrug:

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Blood Meridian, Lolita, and The Hobbit.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What are the Shakespeare rules OP, one play = one book? Probably should be like three plays = one book.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 10, 2016

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Zorodius posted:

Blood Meridian, Lolita, and The Hobbit.

Why the Hobbit?

Sheep-Goats posted:

What are the Shakespeare rules OP, one play = one book?

Yes. A play is a single composition.

The sonnets are all a single book, though, since they were published as such AFAIK.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Jurgen : A Comedy of Justice
Journey to the End of the Night
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
1) By the 3 plays = 1 book Shakespeare rule I take Macbeth, Hamlet, and... Tempest? If each Shakespeare play is a book on its own I would probably take Ulysses instead of Shakespeare.

2) I have this book https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006P7S2LQ and would bring it but that's cheating so I guess I'd bring an illuminated Jersualem.

3) If I can bring Mishima's Sea of Fertility tetrology then that but that's probably cheating again so I guess Forbidden Colors. I might take just Macbeth instead.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 10, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

H.H posted:

Why the Hobbit?

Yes. A play is a single composition.

The sonnets are all a single book, though, since they were published as such AFAIK.

They're a little short to be considered a "book" though.

Also if you're going on how they were published then I can take the whole first folio.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 10, 2016

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

H.H posted:

Why the Hobbit?

The Hobbit is comfort food. It's not complex, there's not much to analyze, but it's the kind of story that works perfectly well and stays enjoyable even when you're totally familiar with it. It's a very tranquil sort of book.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

They're a little short to be considered a "book" though.

Wouldn't you say they comprise a single composition?
If the author intended for it to stand on its own, it qualifies.

I guess that makes Novellas okay, too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

H.H posted:

Wouldn't you say they comprise a single composition?
If the author intended for it to stand on its own, it qualifies.

I guess that makes Novellas okay, too.

Of course they're a single composition but using that as a rule excludes a lot good things and is shifting selections in this thread to tomes.

I'd say a "book" should be anything that's the size and shape of a normal hardback book.

If I had a fourth or maybe fifth choice I'd strongly consider Hemingway's Finca Vigia collection of short stories for example.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Sheep-Goats posted:

Of course they're a single composition but using that as a rule excludes a lot good things and is shifting selections in this thread to tomes.

I'd say a "book" should be anything that's the size and shape of a normal hardback book.

If I had a fourth or maybe fifth choice I'd strongly consider Hemingway's Finca Vigia collection of short stories for example.

Seems like you could just get one of those Folio books with everything he's ever written in it. If this scenario emerged I don't think H.H. can enforce his rules TBQH. Although I might be wrong about that.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

The "size and shape of a book" rule makes my War and Peace choice moot, but I see your point. Let's settle for stuff that have been published as single books, unless it was published by parts but intended to be a single book, like they used to do in printed magazines.

I'd counter your Hemingway with a Borges collection, probably Ficciones.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kuato posted:

Seems like you could just get one of those Folio books with everything he's ever written in it. If this scenario emerged I don't think H.H. can enforce his rules TBQH. Although I might be wrong about that.

I kinda like the rules I just wanna tinker with them a little.

If I can take full collections then it's too easy a choice -- it's just a complete Shakespeare (probably Riverside but any of the major collections are fine), the complete illuminated Blake I mentioned, and Sea of Fertility by Mishima.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
i would just take 3 qurans in classical arabic

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

H.H posted:

The "size and shape of a book" rule makes my War and Peace choice moot, but I see your point. Let's settle for stuff that have been published as single books, unless it was published by parts but intended to be a single book, like they used to do in printed magazines.

I'd counter your Hemingway with a Borges collection, probably Ficciones.

I started reading Ficciones the other day because you talked about it BTW. Not too far into it though.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
I think picking a really long book is missing the point. That doesn't make it more re-readable, it just means you read each section fewer times per hour.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Zorodius posted:

I think picking a really long book is missing the point. That doesn't make it more re-readable, it just means you read each section fewer times per hour.

wat

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
177 Years Of Your Dick

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

"I wouldn't mind reading that page again"

versus

"I don't have to read that page again"

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Zorodius posted:

"I wouldn't mind reading that page again"

versus

"I don't have to read that page again"

this logic is stupid and you should feel bad

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

I started reading Ficciones the other day because you talked about it BTW. Not too far into it though.

My favourite story there is "Funes the Memorious". I'd be happy to know what you make of it.

Zorodius posted:

The part about it being long was less serious, I was mainly talking about its complexity, both in terms of plot and characters.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i guess it would have to be the holy bible. come at me you stupid bitch

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i guess it would have to be the holy bible. come at me you stupid bitch

Name three books out of it that you like. I dare you.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

RideTheSpiral posted:

this logic is stupid and you should feel bad

it's actually a good point and you suck

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

H.H posted:

My favourite story there is "Funes the Memorious". I'd be happy to know what you make of it.

It's gonna be a little while until I get to it unless I get myself a little more on track WRT nonessentials.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zorodius posted:

He lists War and Peace explicitly, in part, because it is long.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I'd need to do a bit of thinking to narrow it down to three, but they are definitely all by Terry Pratchett and I should probably be ashamed of myself.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
There's a Monster at the End of This Book
Scares the hell out of me every time but it's worth it.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

1. James Joyce - Ulysses
2. Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow
3. David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

H.H posted:

Name three books out of it that you like. I dare you.

the old testament the new testament and the bfg

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Wizard Master posted:

1. James Joyce - Ulysses

On the one hand, I see how someone how picks the first one will go with the other two, but on the other I feel like this is limiting yourself to a very specific genre.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wizard Master posted:

1. James Joyce - Ulysses

Loosen out your b-hole and put one non-default in there ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

they are definitely all by Terry Pratchett and I should probably be ashamed of myself.

Yeah

You actually really should be

Why don't you read Murakami's Kafka on the Shore. It's custom made to cure Fantasy / Sci-Fi readers of their illness.

• Locked thread