Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Glenn Quebec posted:

The best part of the mongol story was her taking an enormous 3 am dump. Lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mRFWQoXq4c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Glenn Quebec posted:

The best part of the mongol story was her taking an enormous 3 am dump. Lmao

Maybe she can hook up with Poop Girl.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Maybe she can hook up with Poop Girl.

Swap2.avi

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

This is a contrast to how China's agricultural lands are becoming too toxic and arable in parts of the last China thread.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I just figured out that Erikson’s Psychosocial Stages of Development apply directly to the Chinese government and its press.

Fits like a glove.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Haier posted:

My WeChat/Tantan dates in fast forward .jpg

Fits like a glove.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

quote:

Chinese wine-tasters have won a taste test in France, in what organisers call "a thunderbolt in the wine world".
They came first out of 21 teams by identifying details of six white wines and six red wines without seeing the bottle or label.
The French team came second and the US team came third, while former champions Spain slipped into 10th place and the UK only managed 11th.
The Chinese competitors put their success down to knowledge and luck.
But they did say competition was fierce to get on the team.

I work in a wine related industry and I find this incredibly hard to believe. Whenever we go to China and have winery owners compare premium wine to garbage gutter wine they always pick the gutter wine. It's bizarre because we are comparing premium product to stuff that is deliberately made with wine faults and they pick the trash wine every time.

It must be like that episode of Seinfeld where George succeeds because he does the opposite of what he would usually do.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What sort of answers do they provide when asked what made them pick the wines?

Also just realized that instead of asking a person "Why did you do that?" you should ask "What made you do that?". I learned this from the This American Life podcast from NPR where a teacher in a school for autistic children uses this to great effect.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

McGavin posted:

I work in a wine related industry and I find this incredibly hard to believe. Whenever we go to China and have winery owners compare premium wine to garbage gutter wine they always pick the gutter wine. It's bizarre because we are comparing premium product to stuff that is deliberately made with wine faults and they pick the trash wine every time.

It must be like that episode of Seinfeld where George succeeds because he does the opposite of what he would usually do.

They cheated.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

quote:

The Chinese competitors put their success down to knowledge and luck...
The Chinese team that competed on Saturday at the Chateau du Galoupet, one of France's biggest wine estates, included Liu Chunxia, ​​Tze Chien Chen, Xi Chen, Xianchen Ma and coach Alexander Brice Leboucq...
They "conceded that in blind tasting, 50% is knowledge and 50% is luck," the magazine continued.
From the BBC article posted above. I am guessing they handsomely paid the French "coach" to make them rote-memorize certain wines. Since there was that study that proved wine tasting is mostly bullshit, the whole thing is dumb anyway.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Haier posted:

From the BBC article posted above. I am guessing they handsomely paid the French "coach" to make them rote-memorize certain wines.

If you read between the lines, that's exactly what happened. A group of people were highly trained to identify certain wine characteristics to win a "contest."

[quote][...] saw [the Chinese team] perform best at identifying the 12 wines' countries of origin, grape varieties, vintages, producers and appellation

Good job, you can identify a wine's vintage and region by taste like the fictional James Bond can, congrats, that's super useful. Hooray for China wooooooo. Let me know when you can brew up and export something better than hobo jug wine.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

"Oh? Ok, you heard him. Bad things; right now. Let's do that instead."

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You joke, but looking at other things Confucius has said/written, that's probably exactly what he meant by it.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

KomodoWagon posted:

You joke, but looking at other things Confucius has said/written, that's probably exactly what he meant by it.

totally explaining korean culture

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
China vs. Corea

http://imgur.com/a/MxnhJ

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

China vs. Corea

clash of the 5000 years of culture!
who will triumph? the peaceful majesty of four seasons? the enormous powdered tiger powered dong? Evil Japan?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

We need a new golden age of privateering. 100 USD for each chinese flag off a sunken fisherman.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Boiled Water posted:

We need a new golden age of privateering. 100 USD for each chinese flag off a sunken fisherman.

I'm pretty sure if you went to a Japanese fishing town with a bunch of Chinese flags nabbed off boats you've sunk they'd find some way to reward you

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I've always wanted to see what a torpedo attack looks like.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Can we get a Dynasty Warriors: South China Sea Kingdom, please?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'd suggest using the Sea Shepherds, but those fuckwits can barely manage to get out of bed without hurting themselves, let alone a bunch of angry, drunken Chinese fishermen.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/10/mysterious-factory-break-in-raises-suspicions-about-chinese-visit

hmm...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

I saw you crossing the lu yesterday. Please shave the mutton chops.

Hah, that is damm eerie as I used to have really absurd muttonchops less customer-facing. The evolution from punk/industrial -> hippy -> normal guy caused some weird fashion ideas.

Are their hippies in china?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

bongwizzard posted:

Hah, that is damm eerie as I used to have really absurd muttonchops less customer-facing. The evolution from punk/industrial -> hippy -> normal guy caused some weird fashion ideas.

Are their hippies in china?

I found this guy in a friend's album last thread:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ElGroucho posted:

I've always wanted to see what a torpedo attack looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c--fP017Xoc

Depending on the range, you might have 10 minutes warning or as little as 20 seconds time before the torpedo hits (depending on the Sub's position). Modern torpedoes are really fast (in The Hunt for Red October the torpedoes were travelling at WWII speeds) and the current US MK-48 is estimated to be nearly 70mph. The Russians have a supercavitating torpedo that is supposed to be able to reach 230mph, but is limited to a 15km range as opposed to the MK-48's 38 km range.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 10, 2016

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/philippines-president-duterte-orders-us-forces-out-after-65-years-do-not-treat-us-like-doormat-1585434

quote:

The Philippines' bombastic President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered a halt to his nation's 65-year military alliance with the United States. Duterte, who is locked in a bitter war of words with the US, has taken steps to suspend joint military patrols and ordered American troops to leave the country.
"This year would be the last," Duterte said according to The Guardian on Friday (7 October) in the southern city of Davao. "For as long as I am there, do not treat us like a doormat because you'll be sorry for it. I will not speak with you. I can always go to China."

Lorenzana said that he would ask the Philippines Congress for $50m (£40m) to $100m a year to compensate for a hole in US military aid and said the country may contact Russia or China for new equipment.
"This is at the core of the message to the American people and the world. The United States held on to invisible chains that reined us in towards dependency and submission as little brown brothers not capable of true independence and freedom."

:lol::lol:
Duterte gone full retarde. The Chinese populace hate the Philippines. If you want a country that will treat them like "little brown brother" scum, China is top on the list. LMAO.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Haier posted:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/philippines-president-duterte-orders-us-forces-out-after-65-years-do-not-treat-us-like-doormat-1585434

Duterte gone full retarde. The Chinese populace hate the Philippines. If you want a country that will treat them like "little brown brother" scum, China is top on the list. LMAO.

Most analysis I've read is just "Duterte will never do this he is just trying to get into a better position for negotiation with the US". Of course analysts aren't always right lol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

He's either hoping the US is going to fall for his "I can get it somewhere else" bargaining tactics, and up his military aid, or like you said, he's gone full retard. I'm half expecting a military coup any day now, which is what usually happens when a foreign nation is about to unlatch from the US MIC teat. If China does take him up on his offer, you can expect 5 or so years of honeymoon bliss before they have bought enough politicians and people in the military to make the Philippines a puppet state. I'm sure Xi is salivating at the PR coup that would be a nation abandoning the US for China, and having a friendly port that lets him steam right through a bunch of US friendly nations back yards is a military victory in itself.

I think the likely outcome is a "RIP Duterte!" thread cropping up in GBS within a few months.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Haier posted:

I hope our position is "Ok, peace out" because gently caress it

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Blistex posted:

He's either hoping the US is going to fall for his "I can get it somewhere else" bargaining tactics, and up his military aid, or like you said, he's gone full retard. I'm half expecting a military coup any day now, which is what usually happens when a foreign nation is about to unlatch from the US MIC teat. If China does take him up on his offer, you can expect 5 or so years of honeymoon bliss before they have bought enough politicians and people in the military to make the Philippines a puppet state. I'm sure Xi is salivating at the PR coup that would be a nation abandoning the US for China, and having a friendly port that lets him steam right through a bunch of US friendly nations back yards is a military victory in itself.

I think the likely outcome is a "RIP Duterte!" thread cropping up in GBS within a few months.

The CIA will arrange an accident for him long before they let the Philippines leave the US sphere of influence.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Blistex posted:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/03/11/1561872/duterte-says-unknown-donor-paid-his-pre-campaign-ads

quote:

MANILA, Philippines — Davao City Mayor and presidential hopeful Rodrigo Duterte admitted Thursday that an anonymous Chinese donor had helped pay for his initial political ads that were aired before the start of the official campaign period.

Duterte said the ads were directly placed with the network stations and that he did not know who the donor was. This was confirmed by Duterte's spokesman Peter Laviña.
"Anonymous" donor. I wonder what else they've offered directly to him to sell his country to them.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I want a Trump presidency if its even half of the dumb poo poo Duterte's done minus the death squads for the karmic justice

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

I found this guy in a friend's album last thread:

I would smoke weed in the woods with this guy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Blistex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c--fP017Xoc

Depending on the range, you might have 10 minutes warning or as little as 20 seconds time before the torpedo hits (depending on the Sub's position). Modern torpedoes are really fast (in The Hunt for Red October the torpedoes were travelling at WWII speeds) and the current US MK-48 is estimated to be nearly 70mph. The Russians have a supercavitating torpedo that is supposed to be able to reach 230mph, but is limited to a 15km range as opposed to the MK-48's 38 km range.

The rocket torpedo the Russians have has a rather special warhead that would be a much larger boom.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ded posted:

The rocket torpedo the Russians have has a rather special warhead that would be a much larger boom.

There's a Wiki List of supercavitating torpedoes in case anyone is curious, and luckily for all of us there are only actually two listed (three if you can read German) so it's not a long read.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

I just read that as the usual Tropico-esq island fascist trying to bump up his bank account score and picking the country that has no standards to move money to because he doesn't want to micro manage.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

There's a Wiki List of supercavitating torpedoes in case anyone is curious, and luckily for all of us there are only actually two listed (three if you can read German) so it's not a long read.

Don't forget that when the Kursk went down, it was testing/demonstrating the Shkval. There was a delegation of Chinese navy officers on board at the time.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

There's a huge wine counterfeiting industry in China, to the point where there are researchers developing DNA tests to make sure the wine is legit (which is retarded in its own right like wine but that's besides the point). Maybe these chinese guys are the ones who replicate the flavors of expensive wine with cheaper wine.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Magic? Or some terrible online F2P card game?

Could go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Chinese Wine related news:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2016/01/smashing-solution-to-chinese-wine-fraud

quote:

Australian winemakers are smashing their bottles after tastings in China in an attempt to cut off the supply of genuine empty bottles to wine counterfeiters.

With Australian companies making a concerted effort to get their wines into China, the threat of trademark theft and outright fraud is something that producers have had to think seriously about, according to The Australian newspaper.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-wine-fakes-idUSBRE95801Q20130609

quote:

Bruno Paumard, the cellar master at a vineyard in China, can't stop laughing while describing a bottle of supposedly French wine a friend gave him two years ago.

It's white wine, with a label proclaiming it is from the vineyards of Romanee-Conti, the bottle bearing the logo that is on bottles of Chateau Lafite-Rothschild, and declares its origin as Montpellier in southern France.

Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, better known for highly prized and highly priced vintages from France's Burgundy region, makes only a tiny amount of white wine, labeled Montrachet. It has nothing to do with the equally prestigious Lafite, which is from the Bordeaux region, and neither brand is produced anywhere near Montpellier.

"It's the most magnificent example of a hijacked brand of wine I've ever seen," says Paumard, who works with Chateau Hansen in China's Inner Mongolia. "It doesn't get better than that."

• Locked thread