Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

lozzle posted:

I'll believe you'll find he said the "closing 20 minutes."

Sorry man thought you were talking about this debate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think only the town hall folks seated around the candidates were undecideds. A lot of the rest of the crowd in each debate are students & faculty at the host universities, so you can blame the local college republicans for being shitheads who can't follow simple rules.

Oh. Wow. College students in the audience of a debate of such immense national importance? We should be thankful the munchkins weren't yelling out the name of that goddamn frog or some other god awful 'me-me'.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Sorry man thought you were talking about this debate

No worries rereading his post (and mine) I can see why you could get confused.

Point is Trump got wrecked within the first 20 minutes of both debates. :getin:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Trump people have degraded to the point where they are channeling Alex Jones and they just don't understand why everyone isn't following along. Infowars.com! Infowars.com! Banghazi! Whitewater! Vince Foster! Why aren't you listening to me!?!

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

lozzle posted:

lol what are you talking about he was a mess starting with the first question in the first debate

The running media narrative was that Trump had a decent to strong opening and then veered off into insanity as he ran out of steam stamina in the first debate. Nobody on the planet thinks Trump had a strong opening tonight. It was a complete disaster.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am the last and greatest prophet of israel. oh lord, oh lord lend your strength to my voice. in the year 2018 hillary clinton is a low-earth orbit angel. bernie sanders has become one with the mountains and the sky. barack obama is a smear of sacred poo. vladimir putin hunts death from the back of a mule. ariel sharon is still sleeping. george w bush has given himself over to the worms. i am with child. trump strangles the world with the insatiable tendrils of his body; he bleeds oil and shits diamonds and into his maw whole countries vanish and he grinds them up into a red slurry of bones and gravel. the elephants are extinct. the whales are extinct. my libido is extinct. my naked body is as sleek as polished soapstone but my vagina has contracted into nothingness. it's an anti-space, a niche so tight and unwelcoming that its presence inverts and undoes space itself - a black hole into which trump will be sucked, drawn out into fleshy strings and annihilated forever

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

My god the tactic of catching your opponent in the camera angle at all times really works

It's the Clintons' secret weapon!

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

remusclaw posted:

The Trump people have degraded to the point where they are channeling Alex Jones and they just don't understand why everyone isn't following along. Infowars.com! Infowars.com! Banghazi! Whitewater! Vince Foster! Why aren't you listening to me!?!

At some point in the debate Trump himself was spewing talking points straight out of Breitbart.

It's almost like he hired their CEO to manage his campaign or something. :iiam:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Artificer posted:

My god the tactic of catching your opponent in the camera angle at all times really works

It was so great of Trump to help her with that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

In related news, Billy Bush's career is over (or back to E! which is just as bad). Suspended from the Today Show.

"He will never be on the show again,"

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/09/media/billy-bush-nbc-today-show-donald-trump/index.html

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Regular reminder that by any reasonable conventional public speaking standards Hillary is a B-range performance and Trump would've been a solid fail in both debates.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Equilibrium posted:

The running media narrative was that Trump had a decent to strong opening and then veered off into insanity as he ran out of steam stamina in the first debate. Nobody on the planet thinks Trump had a strong opening tonight. It was a complete disaster.

Yeah that's fair but the media narrative I remember was that he only lasted about 30 minutes before he veered into complete insanity, not 70. Plus the narrative is bullshit because he veered off into crazytown within the first 5 minutes. :colbert:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm sitting here at a bar in Singapore catching up on this thread and listening to the radio and they're clowning on Trump. Please don't gently caress things up while I'm gone, America.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It was pretty bad from ALL angles

The last half hour he was pacing like a meth head

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

FuturePastNow posted:

In related news, Billy Bush's career is over (or back to E! which is just as bad). Suspended from the Today Show.

"He will never be on the show again,"

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/09/media/billy-bush-nbc-today-show-donald-trump/index.html

Another Bush falls victim to the God Emperor. :smug:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
he shall be reborn in time as a small featureless skin cube

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

It was pretty bad from ALL angles

The last half hour he was pacing like a meth head

Yeaaaaaah.... "like" a meth head

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
now if trump could find the time to somehow ruin george p bush's career on the way out that'd be swell

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

If you know anything at all about Aleppo you're likely about to get pretty angry

Why? He didn't talk about Aleppo at all... :smith:

God, this is so sad.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

lozzle posted:

Another Bush falls victim to the God Emperor. :smug:

I am starting to wonder whether Trump is some kind of manifestation of an ancient curse placed on the Bush family

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

now if trump could find the time to somehow ruin george p bush's career on the way out that'd be swell

GP endorsed him back when the entire rest of the family declined to.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

George P. endorsed him IIRC, so he's been tainted

Taeke posted:

Why? He didn't talk about Aleppo at all... :smith:

God, this is so sad.

Maybe it's later on, but he says the city has already fallen so we should give up. Shortly after he said that Putin and Assad are doing a great job cleaning ISIS out of there

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

Bill Clinton was a charming white man putting on a good old Southern boy routine and "I'm too cool to be President but I shall grace the nation with my coolness anyway" vibe running on a centrist neoliberal platform versus a stuffy Republican technocrat riding the coattails of the Reagan administration - and saddled with its sins, as well, via the "no new taxes" issue. Combined with a right-wing independent candidate running an unusually popular and well-funded campaign to siphon votes away from Bush.

538 disagrees with the idea that Perot spoiled the election for Bush 41. Apparently, according to exit polls, Perot siphoned votes evenly from Clinton and Bush. Not that I feel strongly one way or the other, it was before my time. It's a nice documentary though, a reminder of a kinder time when populist douchebags were eccentric and good-natured.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

Not trying to derail this thread about the 2016 election, and I apologize if this isn't appropriate. But I was just looking back at the 1992 election with Clinton vs Bush. I am amazed that WV, KY, and TN went blue, but VA, FL, and NC all went red. What the hell changed in the demographics in the past 20 years that made the former become solid GOP and the latter become leaning Dem or toss ups?

If you think that's crazy, go even further back. The red/blue divide is really a modern phenomenon. In 1984 Reagan won every single state except Minnesota.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

George P. endorsed him IIRC, so he's been tainted

Maybe it's later on, but he says the city has already fallen so we should give up. Shortly after he said that Putin and Assad are doing a great job cleaning ISIS out of there

Yeah, I got that. :smith: He just switched to Mosul so quickly right after, and I was struck by the difference between his rambling and Hillary's response where she actually, you know, addressed the question in a somewhat meaningful way. Also lol at the moderator answering Donald's questions of why the US announces certain military actions. "To warn civilians and stuff, so they can get out." and him just rambling on, not even acknowledging there's people that aren't bad guys there.

e:
Holy poo poo. "Why are you tweeting about sex tapes at 3AM"

"I didn't tweet about a sex tape. Also Benghazi! At least I'll be awake!"

Taeke fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 10, 2016

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

538 disagrees with the idea that Perot spoiled the election for Bush 41. Apparently, according to exit polls, Perot siphoned votes evenly from Clinton and Bush. Not that I feel strongly one way or the other, it was before my time. It's a nice documentary though, a reminder of a kinder time when populist douchebags were eccentric and good-natured.

Once again proving that third-party candidates are useless and dumb. They can't even spoil elections properly, let alone win them!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I read somewhere that it was only the 2000 election that "red state" and "blue state" became a thing, right? Like, they even used to alternate red and blue for republican and democrat, but there was a cultural meme about it after the 2000 election and so things stuck they were that time?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

freebooter posted:

If you think that's crazy, go even further back. The red/blue divide is really a modern phenomenon. In 1984 Reagan won every single state except Minnesota.

1936 is even worse:

Yeah technically Langdon won more states but combined they were only worth a paltry 8 EVs.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

Not trying to derail this thread about the 2016 election, and I apologize if this isn't appropriate. But I was just looking back at the 1992 election with Clinton vs Bush. I am amazed that WV, KY, and TN went blue, but VA, FL, and NC all went red. What the hell changed in the demographics in the past 20 years that made the former become solid GOP and the latter become leaning Dem or toss ups?

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Politics-1990s-Alexander-Lamis/dp/0807123749/

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

That makes sense, given that Bill was explicitly trying to run as a more conservative Democrat. Even still, given Bush's weakness versus Bill, Perot siphoning away votes from both hurt him more than Bill. I also suspect him being involved in the debates, and Bush trying to shut him out and the public backlash surrounding that attempt, didn't help matters.

TheGreatGnocchi
Jun 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

freebooter posted:

I just find it interesting that in the past 5 elections, or 16 years, the map really hasn't changed all that much. Hillary will most likely win Obama's map circa 2008 (sans IN) but there hasn't been a big swing in either direction. Other than VA going blue recently, we never really see a big swing in either direction like elections from the past. Is bigotry and religion really that much of a mainstay dividing factor now? There really isn't a state other than Virginia, maybe NC, that has truly had a shift towards either party.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

lozzle posted:

Once again proving that third-party candidates are useless and dumb. They can't even spoil elections properly, let alone win them!

Hey, don't be like that, they give the side that lost a convenient excuse for failure that doesn't involve having to look at themselves in a mirror and reassess what brought them there.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

I just find it interesting that in the past 5 elections, or 16 years, the map really hasn't changed all that much. Hillary will most likely win Obama's map circa 2008 (sans IN) but there hasn't been a big swing in either direction. Other than VA going blue recently, we never really see a big swing in either direction like elections from the past. Is bigotry and religion really that much of a mainstay dividing factor now? There really isn't a state other than Virginia, may NC, that has truly had a shift towards either party.

We're basically waiting on the Boomers to die out. They represent a huge bloc of largely white conservative reliable voters. In a cycle or two we're looking at a potential sea change in American politics.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

freebooter posted:

Next time somebody wants to take us to task over Bachman managing to hold onto one lovely gerrymandered district for years just remember we told the Gipper to gently caress himself wheb no one else would.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/BeauWillimon/status/785345390245769216

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

I just find it interesting that in the past 5 elections, or 16 years, the map really hasn't changed all that much. Hillary will most likely win Obama's map circa 2008 (sans IN) but there hasn't been a big swing in either direction. Other than VA going blue recently, we never really see a big swing in either direction like elections from the past. Is bigotry and religion really that much of a mainstay dividing factor now? There really isn't a state other than Virginia, maybe NC, that has truly had a shift towards either party.

Yeah it's really fascinating that landslides are no longer common, and also that most people don't realise that's the case. I consider myself pretty politically aware but I think I only saw the Reagan maps during the 2012 election and was shocked by them. Or that if you go back to 1976 the South was all Democratic; I knew it used to be, but I didn't realise it was that recent.

As to how it is now, I guess it's just a marker of how deeply polarised and tribal American politics has become. Possibly we're about to see that change.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

We're basically waiting on the Boomers to die out. They represent a huge bloc of largely white conservative reliable voters. In a cycle or two we're looking at a potential sea change in American politics.

It's a popular talking point, but I believe political identity is much more predictable by race than by generation. Boomer-aged minorities are not reliable conservatives, but white millennials are, for example. Overall the boomers tend to be more liberal than GenX, both of whom are less liberal than the Greatest Generation, but it's complicated because at that point you're adjusting for realignments

After this election, you can probably add gender in as a predictor.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Casimir Radon posted:

Next time somebody wants to take us to task over Bachman managing to hold onto one lovely gerrymandered district for years just remember we told the Gipper to gently caress himself wheb no one else would.

DC voted for Mondale as well.

Just saying.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

DC voted for Mondale as well.

Just saying.

No one cares about DC.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Casimir Radon posted:

Okay fine, but what is your excuse for Jesse Ventura? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

lozzle posted:

Okay fine, but what is your excuse for Jesse Ventura? :v:

Who wouldn't be seduced by that sexual Tyrannosaurus?

• Locked thread