Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watch the dub for PSG, because it's even filthier. :allears:.

Apparently that was actually one of the conditions for licensing it.

Repent, Motherfucker!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AnoHito posted:

Apparently that was actually one of the conditions for licensing it.

Repent, Motherfucker!

Wait, what? :suspense:

:munch:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Hearing Monica Rial curse like a sailor will never get old. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detheros posted:

Hearing Monica Rial curse like a sailor will never get old. :allears:

Look, hooker, I'm trying to be loving nice :rolleyes:.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watch the dub for PSG, because it's even filthier. :allears:.

What? How? I have to check that out.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

What? How? I have to check that out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z4s0mMD5xQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYwXvWDqOaE

It's pretty great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That said, there is one bad part of the P&S Dub; Scanty and Kneesocks do not obey the RrrrrrRRRrrrruuuules.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I need recommendations for anime that came out this year. I usually have at least two or three under my belt by now for the annual forum vote, but new job has made time for sifting through the typical heaps-o-crap difficult. I haven't even had a chance to watch Diamonds are Unbreakable, yet. :/

But, I am going to try to hunker down and knock a few series out with some upcoming free time. So, lay'em on me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AlternateNu posted:

I need recommendations for anime that came out this year. I usually have at least two or three under my belt by now for the annual forum vote, but new job has made time for sifting through the typical heaps-o-crap difficult. I haven't even had a chance to watch Diamonds are Unbreakable, yet. :/

But, I am going to try to hunker down and knock a few series out with some upcoming free time. So, lay'em on me.

tanaka-kun, amanchu, new game, amaama to inazuma

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

All the ones Colonel mentioned are real good. I'd like to add Flying Witch, Re:Zero, and if you don't mind taking a risk on stuff that isn't finished yet, then I thought 'Hibike! Euphonium' Season 2, Flip Flappers, and Izetta are all off to very good starts.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Concrete Revolutio. Technically it started last year but it finished this year. It's a story about alternate-universe 1960s-70s Japan, and nearly every character and event in the show refers back to either 1) Time-accurate pop culture or 2) actual historical events. Despite this the show is very thematically cohesive, as well as well animated. Furthermore, it also uses a non-chronological narrative in a really interesting and cool way. The nature of the show also means that you have a magical girl, giant robot and were-jaguar fighting together against knock-off Godzilla, which is rad as gently caress.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 10, 2016

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Mob Psycho 100.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Osomatsu-san Season2, after you watch Season 1.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That came out this year right

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

KonoSuba is excellent if you like really fun fantasy anime, or if you like Re:Zero when you watch that first because Re:Zero is really good.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

netoge is very funny

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lupin Part 4 technically came out last year but with the weird way it aired it's eligible for the 2016 anime of the year vote. More people need to watch it!!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Am I too late to recommend fantasy anime? I didn't see anyone recommend Slayers, and that's a drat shame :argh:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AlternateNu posted:

Looking through the 2016 Winter to Fall season threads, this is what I wound up both sticking with to the end and ultimately fully enjoyed/would recommend:

Durarara!!
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Flying Witch
JoJo
Re:Zero
Amanchu
Gundam IBO S2
Sound! Euphonium S2
March Comes in like a Lion
WWW.Working!!

Last four and JoJo of course are airing now so theoretically the jury could still be out on them, but I'd say they're pretty safe bets to remain cool.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 10, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Putting all my recs behind Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu because that show is incredible.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Lots of what everyone else has said is good (Mob Psycho, Re:Zero, Tanaka, etc.), but nobody's mentioned Erased yet, which aired at the beginning of the year, and was mostly excellent. The first episode is a very strong hook at any rate, so it's worth at the very least watching that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel that if you're going to experience Erased you're much better off reading the manga where it doesn't super rush the ending.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I feel that if you're going to experience Erased you're much better off reading the manga where it doesn't super rush the ending.

That's fair, and I'd probably agree though I haven't read the manga myself. It definitely did get all a bit rushed towards the end. The first couple of episodes were still fantastic though, and the show's still worth watching if you don't fancy reading the manga.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Is it okay to ask for manga recs? So I just finished reading through Kengo Hanazawa's Boys On The Run and I want more of this kind of stuff. I've already read through Ressentiment and parts of I Am A Hero, but I wasn't quite as big a fan of I Am A Hero as I was of Boys on The Run.

If it helps I also read through and enjoyed Inio Asano's Solanin and Punpun, as well as Flowers of Evil by Shuuzou Oshimi. Are there any more manga works that are like these? I really like this sort of depressing aimless kind of stuff. I'm cool with anime recommendations for stuff like this too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

absolutely do ask for manga recs, here's some things i thought of you might like
strongest man kurosawa (top rec, wow!)
say hello to black jack
Kakukaku Shikajika
ai-ren

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It would be great if the last like four chapters of boys on the run got translated.

Also, I am a hero goes some very interesting places. It occasionally gets stuck in the mud on the way there, but eventually breaks free and does some real surprising stuff.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I Am A Hero is very good. I stopped reading the scans when I realized it was licensed in the west, but that probably means nothing because it'll be a few years before the official release catches up with how far I am in the story.

I'll probably buy a random volume from the middle just to help sales I guess.

Cock and Balzac
May 30, 2013
I'm gonna have a bunch of spare time the next couple months, so I wouldn't mind some manga recommendations myself. Here's some stuff I've really liked:

parasyte
freesia
uncivilized planet
sanctuary
japanese tengu party illustrated
planetes
onani master kurosawa
ciguatera
witches
nijigahara holograph
solanin
bokurano
narutaru
cat street
the lucifer and biscuit hammer
emma
national quiz
short cuts
boku to issho
himizu
goodnight punpun

My only stipulation would be its gotta be finished. There's a ton of good ongoing stuff (historie, vinland saga, dorohedoro, soil, etc.), but I just can't live that month-to-month manga life.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cock and Balzac posted:

I'm gonna have a bunch of spare time the next couple months, so I wouldn't mind some manga recommendations myself. Here's some stuff I've really liked:

parasyte
freesia
uncivilized planet
sanctuary
planetes
onani master kurosawa
ciguatera
witches
nijigahara holograph
solanin
bokurano
narutaru
cat street
emma
national quiz
short cuts
boku to issho
himizu
goodnight punpun

My only stipulation would be its gotta be finished. There's a ton of good ongoing stuff (historie, vinland saga, dorohedoro, soil, etc.), but I just can't live that month-to-month manga life.

Billy Bat

coathat
May 21, 2007

Read The World is Mine.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Terrarium in Drawer and Ashizuri Aquarium are both excellent single volume anthologies.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cock and Balzac posted:

parasyte
freesia
uncivilized planet
sanctuary
planetes
onani master kurosawa
ciguatera
witches
nijigahara holograph
solanin
bokurano
narutaru
cat street
emma
national quiz
short cuts
boku to issho
himizu
goodnight punpun

If you liked Biscuit Hammer there's a decent to good chance you will also like Spirit Circle and/or Sengoku Youko, both of which are finished.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

try out the work of Hoshino Yukinobu like Horobishi Kemonotachi no Umi and El Alamein no Shinden
sekai oni might be something you are looking for in the miserable department like bakurano and narutaru
beck mongolian chop squad is a great coming of age series you might like

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cock and Balzac posted:

onani master kurosawa

Molester Man.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Molester Man.

I've wanted to read this for awhile because it gets mentioned so much and is by the kurosawa guy, but that handwritten text is really annoying to read when over half of every page is words. :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Molester Man is decent but it's nowhere near as good as Onani Master Kurosawa.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Molester Man is decent but it's nowhere near as good as Onani Master Kurosawa.

To be fair I guess that's to be expected when it's more of an adaptation of a 2chan thread documenting a (ostensibly) real story than something they actually wrote.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah molester man is pretty mediocre especially when compared to omk. Still an interesting read but I don't believe it's real for an instant

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know if there's any good stuff focused on suicide or depression (either dealing with suicidal thoughts or the aftermath of losing someone else from it)

(I've seen Welcome to the NHK)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know if there's any good stuff focused on suicide or depression (either dealing with suicidal thoughts or the aftermath of losing someone else from it)

(I've seen Welcome to the NHK)

Orange.