Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

bewbies posted:

seriously how much does it weigh?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

seriously how much does it weigh?

My conservative WAG is 400,000 tons. I kind of want to do some scaling now...

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
More like where would you even build such a monstrosity? The yards necessary to construct that thing would be a project in itself, and then, it would take a significant fraction of your country's military budget to make it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Taerkar posted:

I just noticed that thing has 6 wing turrets below the main deck.
Six main turrets. Every little greeble appears to be another turret :psyduck:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The Kaiser class ships also have racks on top of the turrets which I think are for proper wooden lifeboats but I can't find any pictures of them, only the racks, and I don't want to cite world of warships as a source.

E: though my attempts to find an image of it turned some some... interesting images lacking context:

This thing is just asking for a magazine detonation.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Is there a clean Kriegsmarine myth just like there is a clean Wehrmacht myth? If so, who were considered to be the good innocent folk who simply obeyed orders and who were the designated Nazis that had everything bad pinned on them? Is there a good source in English that would help debunk this clean Kriegsmarine myth?

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The Kaiser class ships also have racks on top of the turrets which I think are for proper wooden lifeboats but I can't find any pictures of them, only the racks, and I don't want to cite world of warships as a source.

E: though my attempts to find an image of it turned some some... interesting images lacking context:

I'm torn between thinking that's from a Wheraboo's Macross fanfiction or that it's a boss in the new Ace Combat game.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Danann posted:

Is there a clean Kriegsmarine myth just like there is a clean Wehrmacht myth? If so, who were considered to be the good innocent folk who simply obeyed orders and who were the designated Nazis that had everything bad pinned on them? Is there a good source in English that would help debunk this clean Kriegsmarine myth?
The one I've heard was that the Kriegsmarine were just the least-Nazified branch, loyal to the state but not Der Fuhrer. On the other hand, that could easily just be Donitz trying to distance himself from Hitler and the Holocaust.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Danann posted:

There's that whole unrestricted submarine warfare thing isn't very nice. But on the other hand there are a lot fewer civilians to murder on the seas compared to Poland.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EvanSchenck posted:

Oh or better yet this ship has two entire duplicate command staffs and they just take turns. During normal operations the aft captain and his guys are just chilling out with sudoku or taking naps, but when it's time to reverse they go on duty and the forward bridge gets to relax.

Ah the Consular approach, that's never had problems before.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Boiled Water posted:

There's that whole unrestricted submarine warfare thing isn't very nice. But on the other hand there are a lot fewer civilians to murder on the seas compared to Poland.

That was par for the course, though, and Nimitz came out to say that. The charges against him that stuck were mostly "being in Hitler's regime during ww2" rather than anything criminal in particular.

It's very strange that Donitz went to prison but Speer did not.

(EDIT: Whoops, it does appear that Speer got more time than Donitz so, welp.)

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 10, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:toot: On the way to a castle to look at suits of armour, and maybe some artillerly as well.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Just FYI Osprey are doing a sale on their Duel, Raid and Warrior book series for October (20% off). Anyone got recommendations? I mean everything I've heard is anything by Zaloga is choice. I think I may grab the book on female samurai. It's outside the areas I usually focus on, but it looks interesting. :japan:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Do their discounts get better during the holiday sales ? Can't recall

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...all the museums are closed on Mondays. :negative:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

My conservative WAG is 400,000 tons. I kind of want to do some scaling now...

What you do is fill the space underneath the air-decks with hydrogen gas balloons to increase buoyancy :pseudo:

e: also Dönitz was a pretty committed supporter of Hitler. You don't become Hitler's heir without being a pretty committed supporter of Hitler.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 10, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I'm playing Total War: Attilas introduction campaign, and I gotta say, wrecking poo poo as the goths is pretty fun. This had me thinking: what was warfare around 300 AD like? Were there actually half-naked dudes charging spear levies with falxes, because if so, that rules :awesome:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Alchenar posted:

What you do is fill the space underneath the air-decks with hydrogen gas balloons to increase buoyancy :pseudo:

e: also Dönitz was a pretty committed supporter of Hitler. You don't become Hitler's heir without being a pretty committed supporter of Hitler.

There was a bit of heir attrition going on at that point. Himmler and Göring had managed to get themselves expelled from the party for starters.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Danann posted:

Why are you approaching this question assuming it is a myth?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Danann posted:

I thought the Kriegsmarine as a whole was one of the least Nazified of the armed forces (partly due to the legacy of the mutinies at the end of WWI) but that U-boat crews were some of the staunchest Nazis among all the services?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Assuming it carries 16" in 15 triple turrets and 100 rpg that ship carries over 7,500 tons in main gun ammunition alone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SkySteak posted:

This thing is just asking for a magazine detonation.

Do you mean a torpedo magazine detonation, a bomb magazine detonation, an avgas detonation, main gun magazine detonation or secondary detonation?

pretty sure the answer is "yes"

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Danann posted:

It’s not something I've really encountered much, I think that is beacuse the KM sort of had less to defend because they were fighting a much neater war (for want of a better word) than the other branches of the German military, if you accept sinking civilian freighters as a legitimate means of fighting a war (and i think we have to when looking at WW2), then they didn’t have the same opportunity and pressures to commit war crimes as say the Wehrmacht did, after all there are very few partisans on the high seas and it’s a lot easier to be clean when you don’t have to worry that every civilian that passes you by might stab you, they just didn't have to face that situation or similar ones that were the impetus for a lot of the nasty things that the Wehrmacht did. The submarine war was not pleasant and there were certainly crimes committed, Im pretty certain that a U-Boat commander and some of his officers were shot at Nuremberg for killing the survivors of a freighter he had sunk and I would be astounded if there were no other incidents; but it wasn’t systematic to anywhere near the same extent as crimes committed on land, again in a large part because there wasn’t the pressure to do so. The high ranks of the Kriegsmarine would have known of the general crimes of the Nazi state, not just Donitz but others as well, they probably spent a lot of the post war trying to shunt blame onto Hitler and away from themselves as much as possible, and a lot of the information we have would have come from taking their recollections so is probably highly slanted.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've always been sickened by the hypocrisy of the Allies when it comes to submarine warfare in WW2. Unrestricted submarine warfare in the Atlantic after the Laconia Incident was evil, but Day One unrestricted submarine warfare in the Pacific was totally cool because Japanese people don't count. That's an ugly position, only accepted because the Allies were the winners and all the moral gray areas of WW2 get subsumed into "good war" narrative.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Boiled Water posted:

Everyone who could, did practice unrestricted submarine warfare. And compared to the terror bombing, it was highly efficient.

Alchenar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYz1ADttI1g

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've always been sickened by the hypocrisy of the Allies when it comes to submarine warfare in WW2. Unrestricted submarine warfare in the Atlantic after the Laconia Incident was evil, but Day One unrestricted submarine warfare in the Pacific was totally cool because Japanese people don't count. That's an ugly position, only accepted because the Allies were the winners and all the moral gray areas of WW2 get subsumed into "good war" narrative.

Didn't some of the high ranking allied admirals testify in Doenitz' defence at Nuremberg regarding unrestricted submarine warfare, though?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Just like to point out that in the realm of battleship designs, the US designed a hypothetical 'maximum battleship'.

The Tillman IV design had (24) 16" guns in four turrets.

http://www.wolfsshipyard.com/Misc/NeverWeres/united.htm

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't some of the high ranking allied admirals testify in Doenitz' defence at Nuremberg regarding unrestricted submarine warfare, though?

Nimitz did, but that hasn't stopped decades of the idea that unrestricted submarine warfare against Japan was okay, but unrestricted submarine warfare by the KM was evil.

I'm not an apologist, I think Donitz was an avowed Nazi and that unrestricted submarine warfare is a real dirty way to fight a war. However, it was absolutely instrumental in our victory over Japan. I take issue only with the hypocritical treatment of the two, especially when German unrestricted submarine warfare was a course of action that was arrived at over time after beginning the war following the rules and American unrestricted submarine warfare started on day one.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

bewbies posted:

Why are you approaching this question assuming it is a myth?

I typed the post while still feeling annoyed at some people on another Discord channel who complained about a fictional character being an unrepentant Nazi since she was in the surface, blue-ocean part of it and not part of the submarine service.

I'm guessing I jumped the gun and came with a conclusion rather than a question to be answered with that post.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Nimitz did, but that hasn't stopped decades of the idea that unrestricted submarine warfare against Japan was okay, but unrestricted submarine warfare by the KM was evil.

I'm not an apologist, I think Donitz was an avowed Nazi and that unrestricted submarine warfare is a real dirty way to fight a war. However, it was absolutely instrumental in our victory over Japan. I take issue only with the hypocritical treatment of the two, especially when German unrestricted submarine warfare was a course of action that was arrived at over time after beginning the war following the rules and American unrestricted submarine warfare started on day one.

Maybe whomever ordered unrestricted submarine warfare on day one took a late page out of the german book. "poo poo works" -admiral some or the other.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

Maybe whomever ordered unrestricted submarine warfare on day one took a late page out of the german book. "poo poo works" -admiral some or the other.

The USN did plan from the very start to begin unrestricted submarine warfare well before the actual outbreak of war, it was part of their pre-war planning for a war against Japan, the USN decided pretty much on its own that it would lead off with that largely because it had the potential to work so well.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Saint Celestine posted:

Just like to point out that in the realm of battleship designs, the US designed a hypothetical 'maximum battleship'.

Don't know how effective this would have been but I can imagine the effect on morale by merely seeing it as you moved ashore for an amphibious landing

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Saint Celestine posted:

That got me curious - when was the last battleship design created? Not a physical ship, but a serious detailed design that could have been built?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

david_a posted:

That got me curious - when was the last battleship design created? Not a physical ship, but a serious detailed design that could have been built?

The Montana and Vanguard classes, I'd assume.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I would be very disappointed if modern ship designers didn't make plans in their free time from time to time.

I would be drafting up a rail gun battleship design as we speak

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Depending on how you want to define "battleship" and "design", the USS Kentucky or the Kirov class ships might also qualify.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Did the main guns' blast wave double as a catapult for planes taking off?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What kind of size inflation has there been since WWI? Would a today's destroyer be the same size as a WWI cruiser?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

One question about aircraft carriers (the real ones) that popped up when viewing that website: how were the islands counter-balanced on an aircraft carrier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

What kind of size inflation has there been since WWI? Would a today's destroyer be the same size as a WWI cruiser?

The last flight of Arleigh Burkes are close to 10,000 tons and the Zumwalt's are about 14,000 tons. In WWI terms the ABs are heavy cruiser size, and the Zumwalt is pushing into battlecruiser range.