Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

That is a catchy line but I think she let him stand up there and look too much like a "normal" republican for most of the debate.

Wasn't your big gimmick earlier being mad that she wouldn't say all republicans are like Trump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Regulations for what that doesn't make sense to me.

regulations being the standards of insurance coverage: what you can charge, what must be covered, maximum deductibles, etc.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mcmagic posted:

That is a catchy line but I think she let him stand up there and look too much like a "normal" republican for most of the debate.

This probably wasn't what she was going for, but if Donald Trump can be painted as a "normal" Republican, that would be disastrous to the GOP long-term.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

mcmagic posted:

Trump looked like anything but a normal Republican.

"I will lock my opponent up." "Russia and Syria are the best." "Bill Clinton is a rapist." "Bragging about sexual assault is totally normal."

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Why is it bad if Insurance comopanies are restricted to one state? I still don't understand that whole process wouldn't it be better to have national insurance?

It would be better to have a single national set of regulations for insurance.

Right now it is a complete cluster gently caress and insurers maintain separate computer systems for each state they do business in.

Selling across state lines is bullshit though since all insurers would base out of the state with the most "gently caress consumers" laws.

A single national standard with strong consumer protection is good. Letting insurers run to the least regulated state is bad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's not better or worse inherently. The problem is that if you allow purchase across state lines, then whatever the federal minimum rules and coverage are effectively become the minimum for everyone. Because at least one state is going to allow lovely policies or try to create favorable pricing schemes to attract insurers. Then every insurer moves to that state, like Credit Card companies and banks did with Delaware.

If you have strong federal minimums, then allowing purchase across state lines can theoretically reduce costs.

That was my take on it just have strong federal minimums and let insurance companies compete at the national level.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How do Mormons reconcile their support with Trump with their moral beliefs? Are their any articles or editorials about this? His words and behavior are just so opposite from the way devout Mormons try to live their lives, it's insane that Utah is still dark red this election.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

The next debate is going to be Trump and the moderator tag-teaming Hillary and doing whatever they can to bury her before her 90 minutes are up. It's Trump's friendliest environment yet and I'm sure Conway et al will be doping him to the gills and coaching him as much as they're able to keep him from loving it up.

Here's hoping that Trump's next 10 days backfire that he refuses to do the third one.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Hollismason posted:

*sucks air through teeth*

Health insurance is regulated. There are things they can and cannot do. There are things states can individually mandate that they do or not do. (e.g., California could say that they have to cover cervical cancer screening or something. while Montana may not.) By "opening it across state lines" you will instead have every healthcare plan based in whatever state allows insurance companies to have the least amount of regulations that cause them to cover more treatments at higher rates -- where as now every health insurance plan is based in each state and is subject to each state's laws.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Which one of you jokers is Ken Bone

'Fess up

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Hollismason posted:

That was my take on it just have strong federal minimums and let insurance companies compete at the national level.

That's not what he's proposing AND there'd deffo be an interstate commerce clause challenge to it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Hollismason posted:

https://youtu.be/1zNdw4DaUM8

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How do Mormons reconcile their support with Trump with their moral beliefs? Are their any articles or editorials about this? His words and behavior are just so opposite from the way devout Mormons try to live their lives, it's insane that Utah is still dark red this election.

You say this as though their top leaders haven't been the first/only people to withdraw their endorsements of Trump.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trump is hemorrhaging Mormon support over the last few days. They're conservative, but they do not like Trump.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Mormons don't really support Trump. In fact there is a non-zero chance he loses Utah to McMullin, Johnson, or even Hillary.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

*sucks air through teeth*

Health insurance is regulated. There are things they can and cannot do. There are things states can individually mandate that they do or not do. (e.g., California could say that they have to cover cervical cancer screening or something. while Montana may not.) By "opening it across state lines" you will instead have every healthcare plan based in whatever state allows insurance companies to have the least amount of regulations that cause them to cover more treatments at higher rates -- where as now every health insurance plan is based in each state and is subject to each state's laws.
Donald Trump wants to take health care out of the hands of the states and put it under federal control.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rappaport posted:

'Fess up

I am Spartacus Ken Bone.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Donald Trump wants to take health care out of the hands of the states and put it under federal control.

lol no he doesn't

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's not what he's proposing AND there'd deffo be an interstate commerce clause challenge to it.

Not really. Interstate commerce is basically unlimited at this point, to the point where intrastate commerce is in fact interstate commerce.

Which is actually a good thing because (Southern) state governments have proven themselves literally incapable of self-governance so the more power the federal government has the better.

lozzle fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 10, 2016

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So, Ivanka "liked" this tweet:

https://twitter.com/HuffPostPol/status/785103294620467204

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol no he doesn't
No, I know. I was exaggerating the fact that removing state boundaries means federal regulations, not state, define health care laws, as you said in your post.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

McMuffin isn't winning poo poo but Johnson could steal some cheeky EVs if Utah devolves into a four-way mess.

Utah was the reddest state last election for obvious reasons and it's going to at least be close this time.

Hollismason posted:

Let's take the House back and let's do it!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rappaport posted:

'Fess up

We are all Ken Bone. #GetBoned2020

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, no, I misread that. It would be like a Texas textbooks situation.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Hollismason posted:

Imagine you break down the state line stuff, and right now all 50 states require that insurance companies cover pre-existing conditions.

Montana decides they'd like more insurance companies in the state, so they undo that provision. Any insurer operating out of Montana can now write insurance policies that don't cover pre-existing conditions. Because consumers are allowed to buy insurance across state lines, someone in Texas who buys insurance from a Montana-based insurer now has lost their pre-existing coverage.

Not only that, but from what we've seen from previous race to the bottom scenarios, what you would likely have happen is that the health insurance companies would all migrate to Montana. In this way, you've got 49 states that still require pre-existing condition coverage, but it doesn't matter because all nationwide health insurance plans are based in the one state where they don't have to offer that, and thus no one will have pre-existing condition coverage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why not have national standards?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

lozzle posted:

Not really. Interstate commerce is basically unlimited at this point, to the point where intrastate commerce is in fact interstate commerce.

Oh, I am not saying it's a challenge that should work but if Trump won and put another republican on the bench -- it would. Granted there wouldn't be the sort of federal min. you're talking about under that scenario anyway.

Basically Trump's healthcare proposal is just the same poo poo Republicans have been selling for a long time. They don't want a federal healthcare structure, they want to give health insurance companies even more freedom to do dumb poo poo.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually that would be a fun game - name a celebrity who'd make a better POTUS candidate than the one the GOP nominated.

Charles Barkley. He's actually a Republican, his views aren't 100% horrific, and we'd get a bounty of Shut Up and Jam Gaiden jokes out of the campaign.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Hoo boy

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

greatn posted:

We currently do with ACA!

Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The short version is:

Julian Assange is very pro-Putin and receives support from Russia. He is very opposed to U.S. imperialism and intervention in Eastern Europe and the Middle East. His leaks are primarily designed with that in mind. Lots of people who were against Iraq cheered when they released documents that tainted people on Iraq.

and is there any indication that he feels the same way about Russian intervention in Syria or Ukraine?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Lamb Chowder posted:

and is there any indication that he feels the same way about Russian intervention in Syria or Ukraine?

Hahahahahaha no.

Russia can do no wrong in the eyes of Julian Assange.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Technogeek posted:

Charles Barkley. He's actually a Republican, his views aren't 100% horrific, and we'd get a bounty of Shut Up and Jam Gaiden jokes out of the campaign.

He's not. He joked a long long time ago that he would have to be a Republican because he's rich, but in recent years has confirmed he is not a fan of Republicans.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lamb Chowder posted:

No. Putin pays his bills and provides his bodyguards. The albino rat never criticizes Pooty.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

greatn posted:

Congress: "That sounds suspiciously like not repealing Obamacare."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Oxxidation posted:

The next debate is going to be Trump and the moderator tag-teaming Hillary and doing whatever they can to bury her before her 90 minutes are up. It's Trump's friendliest environment yet and I'm sure Conway et al will be doping him to the gills and coaching him as much as they're able to keep him from loving it up.

I think Wallace is going to be good. He's not Sean Hannity and he wants to look like a "real"journalist. He will definitely talk about the emails but he'll be hard on Trump too.

computer parts posted:

Wasn't your big gimmick earlier being mad that she wouldn't say all republicans are like Trump?

Yeah but she didn't try to tie their policies to him and visa versa all that much

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 10, 2016

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Antti posted:

Congress: "That sounds suspiciously like full-blown communism."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but she didn't try to tie him policies to him and visa versa all that much

She did, repeatedly. In fact, she responded to almost every question about policy by stating what his actually is and then contrasted it to hers.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

mcmagic posted:

I think Wallace is going to be good. He's not Sean Hannity and he wants to look like a "real"journalist. He will definitely talk about the emails but he'll be hard on Trump too.

Counterpoint: Chris Wallace works for Fox News and is not named Shepard Smith.

lozzle fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

greatn posted:

He's not. He joked a long long time ago that he would have to be a Republican because he's rich, but in recent years has confirmed he is not a fan of Republicans.

He's also one of the most honest people we have today.

• Locked thread