Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Of all the litters and trays I've tried, this is by far the best litter/tray combo I've ever used:

https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Tidy-Cats-Breeze-Litter/dp/B001411SK0/

It takes clay pellets rather than litter. Pee falls through the tray and is absorbed by the pad below. Poo is quickly desiccated by the pellets and does not stink for more than a minute or two. As long as you replace the pee pad at a reasonable rate (maybe once a week, depending on your cats) you won't smell any pee. You only have to scoop poop. Pooping into pellets instead of litter was not a problem for my cats, but YCMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Julet Esqu posted:

Of all the litters and trays I've tried, this is by far the best litter/tray combo I've ever used:

https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Tidy-Cats-Breeze-Litter/dp/B001411SK0/

You've gotten my hopes up, going to give this a shot. I've (well, my cats) tried lots of litter boxes and litters over the years and they've all been terrible. How many cats do you have? How many boxes? Curious if the once or twice a week estimate on the pee pad is for >1 cat.

signalnoise posted:

I mean I want to use as few services as possible to handle the most utility possible, by using Google. I have like 5 email accounts alone, and only 2 of them are gmail.

I'm not really sure what you're asking either. Forward your other 3 email addresses to Gmail or if you own the domain point it to google apps. Use your primary Gmail account to login to other sites that support OpenID and use Google authenticator for 2FA. Use Keep instead of Evernote, Drive instead of Dropbox/iCloud, Music instead of Spotify, Docs/Sheets/Slides instead of Office365, Hangouts instead of Skype, Bookmarks instead of Pinboard, etc. Also Reader instead of Feedly except not really since Google sometimes shuts down services that you love.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Lawen posted:

You've gotten my hopes up, going to give this a shot. I've (well, my cats) tried lots of litter boxes and litters over the years and they've all been terrible. How many cats do you have? How many boxes? Curious if the once or twice a week estimate on the pee pad is for >1 cat.

I have multiple cats, but my cats are indoor/outdoor, so I would have to change the pad less often than somebody with exclusively indoor cats. That said, I got this thing when one of my cats was very old and preferred to stay inside all the time, and from time to time I'll have to keep a cat inside after they've had a vet procedure or whatever and they all tend to prefer the indoors during the winter. I would say 1/week for one cat is probably accurate. The old cat in particular peed a LOT and once a week was about the outer edge of advisability for her. You can check the pad throughout the week if you are unsure, it's pretty obvious when it's time to change.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lawen posted:

I'm not really sure what you're asking either. Forward your other 3 email addresses to Gmail or if you own the domain point it to google apps. Use your primary Gmail account to login to other sites that support OpenID and use Google authenticator for 2FA. Use Keep instead of Evernote, Drive instead of Dropbox/iCloud, Music instead of Spotify, Docs/Sheets/Slides instead of Office365, Hangouts instead of Skype, Bookmarks instead of Pinboard, etc. Also Reader instead of Feedly except not really since Google sometimes shuts down services that you love.

I feel like there must be a good online resource for this.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I feel like there must be a good online resource for this.

Ironically it's google

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Goons, I need a new wallet. I'm currently using a phone\wallet case but want to move to something a bit slimmer since I'm also looking for a car phone mount as well. Help?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Irritated Goat posted:

Goons, I need a new wallet. I'm currently using a phone\wallet case but want to move to something a bit slimmer since I'm also looking for a car phone mount as well. Help?

http://dashwallets.com/shop/dash-bifold is my current one (and it is good) but I preferred this one before my dog ate it https://www.ainste.com/collections/products/products/fold-wallet

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Saddleback's front pocket ID Wallet is an old thread favorite, but they recently just doubled the price to $70 and I'm not sure it's worth it. If I had to replace my saddleback wallet I'd probably get a Big Skinny New Yorker since I'm a big fan of having an ID window you can put your ID/metrocard in without needing to open the wallet. The Big Skinny New Yorker doesn't hold cash so I have no idea what I would get, nevermind!

THF13 has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Oct 10, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

http://bellroy.com/

I love my Bellroy wallet

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Irritated Goat posted:

I love these wallets

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002...6YTL&ref=plSrch

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I've gotta stand all day at a conference while wearing nice dress shoes and my lower back always wants to fall apart after this. Are there any specific inner soles that are best for this?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Irritated Goat posted:

My personal favorite is this: http://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products/thin-wallet-micro-soft-shell
amzn link: https://www.amazon.com/SlimFold-MICRO-Soft-Shell-Wallet/dp/B00TXP8AAA

It's the slimmest bifold I know of that isn't made out of tyvek. I've had mine for two years and it still as good as new.

If you want a slimmer bifold, you'd have to go either the dynomighty wallet already linked above or SlimFold's own tyvek wallet. But I'd warn against them with the existence of the Slimfold Softshell. Tyvek wallets start looking pretty ragged after a few months. With the softshell you get good enough slimness and no ragged appearance.

If you want slimmer than that you would need to go to the card holders, which require folding cash up.
Example: http://www.suprgood.com/collections/slim-wallet

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Irritated Goat posted:

I really like my Jimi. I'm on my second one since I tossed my first one around too much and the hinge broke.

http://thejimi.com

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I have a Whipping Post wallet (Georgia Brown Pickers wallet) that I really like. Can't vouch for the bifolds but if you like a front pocket wallet and also play guitar, this thing is great.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a Prada wallet and it owns

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
iPhone 7+ cases?

Trying to decide whether I want to get a leather folio type case or a spigen-type plastic case. iPhone is white/silver, the plus model. Help me decide!!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The folio case would look really good hanging on the outside of your woven brown leather belt and comfort fit stone washed jeans.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

PRADA SLUT posted:

The folio case would look really good hanging on the outside of your woven brown leather belt and comfort fit stone washed jeans.

Be sure to finish off the look with all-white Skechers or New Balance. Hth.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

we are the Funyuns posted:

Be sure to finish off the look with all-white Skechers or New Balance. Hth.

I prefer white vans thank you very much.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Here are some various recommendations for cheap Aliexpress bullshit:

An old style of coil hair remover, especially good for defining eyebrows etc. Usually sell in Target and whatnot for around $20, get it for around $1 here: Link

Magnetic putty for playing around with, around $2.50: Link

I'm a big proponent of this eyeliner set, though only like 5 of the colors are useful at all, but for under $3 who cares: Link

Each of these can hold a rolled bill or a few matches, I keep them stashed around including one in the chassis of my car, around $2.50 for five: Link

I've had good luck with these eyebrow pencils that are usually about $1 apiece: Link

A very good eyelash curler for $2: Link

If you like TENS units, this one for $15 works surprisingly well: Link

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Are cheap Chinese cosmetics really a good idea, or are they like all made over there?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I haven't had any problems. I assume some of them probably contain beetle dong and rat semen, but what the hell, I also use the testers at Sephora which are probably 10 times worse.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Everyone has slim wallet opinions but mine is objectively the best, obviously. They sell them on amazon now, but it was originally a kickstarter:

https://www.amazon.com/Ti5-Slim-Wallet-Titanium-Standard/dp/B01BWZ68WU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

I haven't had any problems. I assume some of them probably contain beetle dong and rat semen, but what the hell, I also use the testers at Sephora which are probably 10 times worse.

Side effects may include: Rash, itching, urge to collect pelts and skins.

I used to do theatre and recall something about tainted stage-makeup going around on FB years and years ago, but I can't find anything about it now. It was some discount version of some popular foundation iirc. I also guess that most folks don't use stage-levels of makeup around town.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

I'll second that. Definitely the best wallet I've ever owned. A lot of the slim wallets are hard to use, in my experience, and the "slim sleeve" is the most functional for me. Plus it's nice looking and smelling leather.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

.Z. posted:

My personal favorite is this: http://www.slimfoldwallet.com/products/thin-wallet-micro-soft-shell
amzn link: https://www.amazon.com/SlimFold-MICRO-Soft-Shell-Wallet/dp/B00TXP8AAA

It's the slimmest bifold I know of that isn't made out of tyvek. I've had mine for two years and it still as good as new.

If you want a slimmer bifold, you'd have to go either the dynomighty wallet already linked above or SlimFold's own tyvek wallet. But I'd warn against them with the existence of the Slimfold Softshell. Tyvek wallets start looking pretty ragged after a few months. With the softshell you get good enough slimness and no ragged appearance.

I got one of the micro plain Tyvek ones and although the corners crunched up pretty quickly it's a little slimmer and lighter than my Saddleback Leather mini wallet so I'm hoping it will last.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I've had, and posted about, the Koyono Slimmy for 10 years now.

http://www.koyono.com/collections/slimmy-minimal-front-pocket-wallets

That's my recommendation (personally I'm a 3 pocket/red lining guy).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am already dying of cold this winter. Please recommend me products that will help keep me warmer. Are any of the battery socks any good? I do have clothes with good insulation, like Pendleton scarves, but I really need things that make the heat for me.

I have a heated blanket, and I sleep between two moose hides. My father says he will get me a heated mattress pad for Christmas. So in terms of bed stuff, I think I am OK. I mostly need stuff for when I am sitting down and working.

Pick has a new favorite as of 08:13 on Oct 18, 2016

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

I am already dying of cold this winter. Please recommend me products that will help keep me warmer. Are any of the battery socks any good? I do have clothes with good insulation, like Pendleton scarves, but I really need things that make the heat for me.

I have a heated blanket, and I sleep between two moose hides. My father says he will get me a heated mattress pad for Christmas. So in terms of bed stuff, I think I am OK. I mostly need stuff for when I am sitting down and working.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/heated-gear

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pick posted:

https://www.smokonow.com/collections/handwarmers

https://www.smokonow.com/collections/footwarmers

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

What kind of job do you have that you can't just take a portable electric heater to and plug it in at your desk? And how far up north do you live that it's already that brutally cold where you're at :stare:?

As someone who dives for a living in very cold water in upper New York State (wetsuit too, not drysuit) for 6-8 hours a day, I can suggest a few things.

There's lithium-battery powered vests (for diving, surfing, and hunting) and other kinds of wearables that have wires in them that heat up and provide heat for a few hours. Just google "thermalution vest". But that's dependent on what you do at your job I guess.

Also, take a thermos with plenty of hot liquids to drink. You'd be amazed at how much warmer you can be if you drink warm fluids.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pick posted:

I am already dying of cold this winter. Please recommend me products that will help keep me warmer.
Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

:eyepop:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ooo narwhal slippers!

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

What kind of job do you have that you can't just take a portable electric heater to and plug it in at your desk? And how far up north do you live that it's already that brutally cold where you're at :stare:?
I have health problems, basically assume that reptile rules apply. I actually do own heat dishes since they make them for humans now.

quote:

There's lithium-battery powered vests (for diving, surfing, and hunting) and other kinds of wearables that have wires in them that heat up and provide heat for a few hours. Just google "thermalution vest". But that's dependent on what you do at your job I guess.
Nice, I'll probably check one of these out. I know some of the socks and etc require batteries, which feels like a waste, but a rechargeable pack sounds good by me.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Haha nice.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
A coworker of mine had one of those battery-powered heating coats it was more or less garbage that weighed like 15 pounds and really didn't produce a reasonable amount of heat.

Hunt around online and buy Arcteryx Atom LT jacket or hoodie. They are absurd absurdly warm for their weight and bulk, and are slim fitting enough that you can layer another jacket over them if you need to. Wearing one feels like being snuggled up in a sleeping bag in the best way possible and they can pack down to like the size of a large grapefruit.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bongwizzard posted:

A coworker of mine had one of those battery-powered heating coats it was more or less garbage that weighed like 15 pounds and really didn't produce a reasonable amount of heat.

Hunt around online and buy Arcteryx Atom LT jacket or hoodie. They are absurd absurdly warm for their weight and bulk, and are slim fitting enough that you can layer another jacket over them if you need to. Wearing one feels like being snuggled up in a sleeping bag in the best way possible and they can pack down to like the size of a large grapefruit.

Also all arcteryx gear is absurdly overpriced.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I thought so too until I got one of their jackets, it's worth every penny.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

The atom is an amazing jacket and worth every penny

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
A page or two late, but I just wanted to chip in these recommendations...

couldcareless posted:

French press just broke. Any goon recommendations for a new one?
Pick up an unbreakable french press. I've used an older version of this, daily for about 8 years now without any issues.

surf rock posted:

It made me curious, any other secret pricey bathroom goods recommended by goons? I would especially like to get a better deodorant/antiperspirant than Old Spice, but I'd be curious about basically anything.

If you shave, try the Van der Hagen luxury shave soap, it's worlds apart from their deluxe shave soap. With a good brush, it's like an aromatherapy face message, just nothing else like it. I shave specifically to use this stuff, and a single puck lasts virtually forever.

colas posted:

IT'S GOTTA BE IN THE SHOWER WITH ME OR NOTHIN.

Just get a waterproof phone like a galaxy s6 active and bring it in the shower with you. I've had so many different shower speakers over the years, the phone is just way easier, especially if you can tuck it up on a shelf out of the direct spray.

turbomoose posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for an air purifier that will remove dust from a litter box from the air? I have my cat's litter box in a closet in one of the rooms in my house and that room gets really dusty really fast, from all the dust the liter creates. I want an air filter that will deal with this (if possible). I looked at the sweethome but I think their suggestions are way overkill since it's only one small room I need it for. Looking for under $100, with HEPA filters preferably since that's what I read was good.

Try switching litters, precious cat clay litter is the one we're currently using and doesn't really dust up hardly at all. We had been using corn based litters like world's best to solve the dust problem, but precious cat is cheaper, clumps up way better, and is basically dust free. We also use ours with a litter robot open air. Tried a cat genie, but our cats are too dumb and rejected it.

Irritated Goat posted:

Dump the wallet, pare down to your ID and a card or two, and try a silicone card holder. The adhesive on these suckers is basically magic. The first one I used was peeled off a recycled phone we got in at my work, then stuck to my phone for several months, moved to another phone, peeled off and stuck to another phone when that one got beer-logged, and then peeled off and stuck to yet another phone when I cracked the screen on that one. All the while, the used adhesive still stuck like a champ! This is through keeping my phone in my pocket, going to the gym, going hiking, biking, you name it. It's frigging magic, and you can buy these things in bulk from china for like a buck apiece on ebay. I've been using these things for 2-3 years now, and never lost a single card or dollar bill, the silicone friction keeps everything firmly in place. Only thing that sucks is that if you lose your phone, you're completely screwed, but just don't misplace your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bongwizzard posted:

I thought so too until I got one of their jackets, it's worth every penny.

Meh, I have one of their jackets too and I'm not amazed by it. TBF I got it issued to me by Uncle Sam when I was in the USMC