Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
So you're saying he wasn't quite ready?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

thrakkorzog posted:

Well, Aethelred the Unready was a ten year old kid who was crowned King of England, and had to fend off vikings.

Hell, I wouldn't trust a ten year old kid to take over a local McDonald's franchise, much less England.

Now now, he was clearly a better ruler than David Cameron.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

thrakkorzog posted:

I still think that Ivar the Boneless has the best Viking name ever.

So how did he get that name? Was he a super sneaky Viking? Did he suffer from erectile dysfunction? Or was he actually crippled? Historians want to know.

Lets not forget Ivar's old man, Ragnar who wears hairy trousers, or his brother Sigurd Snake-in-the-eye. Vikings did names right.

But yeah, one theory about Ivar was that he was impotent, the other that it's just one of those wacky Viking ironic nicknames because he was really tall. Others just think he was really flexible, and some think he had some sort of brittle bone disease which meant he couldn't walk, which sort of seems ridiculous because he was noted as a fearsome warrior. But yeah, erectile dysfunction seems the most likely to this total amateur considering the sagas even have a line about love and lust playing no part of his life.

But the short answer is we'll never know the real reason, so lets just go with him not being able to get a stiffy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kassad posted:

The portrayal of Egypt was a bit inaccurate, as I remember. At least, there was no ancient Egyptian palace in Alexandria since the city was ~300 years old at the time.

I don't know enough Egypt to say for that part. Certainly wouldn't be an ancient one but maybe a fake ancient one?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I don't know, the palace was just a backdrop and never actually talked about. It was probably to show "this is Egypt" in an easy to grasp way, to be honest. I also think they were deliberately going for a kind of orientalist aesthetic to try and translate how the Romans would have seen the Ptolemies (a decadent dynasty about to fall apart).

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

As I understand it, at the time period in question the Egyptians didn't really dress like ancient Egyptians and would have been fairly Hellenized by that point. So they wouldn't be wearing schentis and such like they did on the show, basically.

Edit: I am going to assume this was more for the benefit of the viewer, so they would know that the bits set it Egypt were actually set in Egypt. When talking about Egyptians of 2,000 years ago folks expect to see schentis and nemyss-cloths.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

Rome is the most accurate show/movie in general. They do play with timescales and stuff and make Pullo/Vorenus more important than reality obviously but other than that I never really noticed anything that stood out.
Is it true that their plans for future seasons included Titus Pullo converting to Christianity? A guy who must have been at least 30 at Actium?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mad Hamish posted:

As I understand it, at the time period in question the Egyptians didn't really dress like ancient Egyptians and would have been fairly Hellenized by that point. So they wouldn't be wearing schentis and such like they did on the show, basically.

Edit: I am going to assume this was more for the benefit of the viewer, so they would know that the bits set it Egypt were actually set in Egypt. When talking about Egyptians of 2,000 years ago folks expect to see schentis and nemyss-cloths.

This bothered me as well, but I thought it was just playing into larger cultural ideas and using a shorthand for storytelling purposes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Halloween Jack posted:

Is it true that their plans for future seasons included Titus Pullo converting to Christianity? A guy who must have been at least 30 at Actium?

Basically season 2 as it exists is 2 and 3 smashed together. 4 and 5 were to focus on the holy land and tell the story of Jesus. I am very happy 4 and 5 were not made as that story has been told enough goddamn times, and no i don't want to watch Pullo be Saved and essentially get preached too.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Basically season 2 as it exists is 2 and 3 smashed together. 4 and 5 were to focus on the holy land and tell the story of Jesus. I am very happy 4 and 5 were not made as that story has been told enough goddamn times, and no i don't want to watch Pullo be Saved and essentially get preached too.

It would have been neat to see that same attention to historical detail focused on Judea, but it would have had to compete with The Life of Brian in that space.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That idea seems completely ludicrous considering the timeline. A spiritual successor series with similar production values and telling the story of the early church could have been something to watch. Or even better: depicting the rise to power and reign of Constantine the Great, what with him waging war against his rivals, making Christianity the official religion and building the new capital at Constantinople.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That's a helluva extrapolation, especially for a series that was so well done.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lets be honest there's at least a 50% change pullo would headbut Jesus then start hitting on mary

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Unready means unwise or bad counsel, not not ready.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It would've been interesting to see a more historical depiction of Israel, but trying to maintain the same sort of historical tone while mixing with Christ would've been playing with fire. Maybe if they tried doing Mithras instead...

One of my favorite moments from the series was Lucius talking about how he's made some investments so that he can comfortably retire, and then his investments turn out to be slaves, because of course they're a commodity back in those days, and then of course something horrible happened to them while their owner wasn't there to pay any attention.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kopijeger posted:

That idea seems completely ludicrous considering the timeline. A spiritual successor series with similar production values and telling the story of the early church could have been something to watch. Or even better: depicting the rise to power and reign of Constantine the Great, what with him waging war against his rivals, making Christianity the official religion and building the new capital at Constantinople.
A season of Rome about the early Church seems to me like it essentially would've been a bunch of Catos griping at each other.

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.

Jerusalem posted:

That was loving beautiful, I couldn't turn away.

gently caress. Strong stuff.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kopijeger posted:

Or even better: depicting the rise to power and reign of Constantine the Great, what with him waging war against his rivals, making Christianity the official religion and building the new capital at Constantinople.

Starring the distant descendants of Pullo and Vorenus, Blackadder style.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mad Hamish posted:

Does anyone know what the normal Egyptians would have looked like? The people in charge were Greek but I wonder how much of that really filtered down to the average person. The Ptolemys made an effort to present themselves as Egyptian in their political art for the general public, as did the Romans after, so I would think the everyday culture had remained fairly Egyptian.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Grand Fromage posted:

Does anyone know what the normal Egyptians would have looked like? The people in charge were Greek but I wonder how much of that really filtered down to the average person. The Ptolemys made an effort to present themselves as Egyptian in their political art for the general public, as did the Romans after, so I would think the everyday culture had remained fairly Egyptian.

It depends on whether you're talking about rural or urban Egypt. I can't speak for rural Egypt, but I can offer an educated guess for Alexandria, the intellectual and cultural center of the Roman Empire. As a port city connecting to all reaches of the Empire and several non-Roman states far off, Alexandria was extremely cosmopolitan and contained the Greek elite whose ancestors were responsible for constructing it, as well as Italian Romans, sub-Saharan Africans, Jews, Indians, and native Egyptians, among others. I wasn't there and can't tell you whether or not a ton of "race-mixing" went on, but given that modern attitudes toward race wouldn't exist for about fifteen hundred more years, my guess would be that the Greek families probably stuck to their own while the rest considered themselves Romans first and Alexandrians second. The influx of Arabs into Egypt wouldn't start in significant amounts until the Islamic Empire, so based off of that, I believe the average urban Egyptian would look slightly less swarthy than now, but also with slightly more Africanized hair. Beards would be small if they existed at all.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

SlothfulCobra posted:

It would've been interesting to see a more historical depiction of Israel, but trying to maintain the same sort of historical tone while mixing with Christ would've been playing with fire. Maybe if they tried doing Mithras instead...

One of my favorite moments from the series was Lucius talking about how he's made some investments so that he can comfortably retire, and then his investments turn out to be slaves, because of course they're a commodity back in those days, and then of course something horrible happened to them while their owner wasn't there to pay any attention.

Part of me does love the idea of Pullo getting sucked into a Pauline church and accompanying Saul to Jerusalem where they run into Jesus' brother who says Pullo can't be a Christian because he isn't Jewish and it goes against his brother's preaching.

Like, I can't imagine the reaction most evangelicals would even have to have to that as accurate history.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm guessing they looked like normal Mediterranean traders like Greeks or Persians. It's kind of hard to say, since Egypt got conquered by the Arabs, and displaced or bred with the native population. And it's kind of hard to talk about it without sounding kind of racist.

I know some of the black power folks claim that the Egyptians were black people. Well it's not to hard to look at a map of Africa and say they might not be wrong.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't they do genetic studies based on ancient mummies and it turned out that modern Egyptian are pretty much the same as ancient ones?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

thrakkorzog posted:

I'm guessing they looked like normal Mediterranean traders like Greeks or Persians. It's kind of hard to say, since Egypt got conquered by the Arabs, and displaced or bred with the native population. And it's kind of hard to talk about it without sounding kind of racist.

I know some of the black power folks claim that the Egyptians were black people. Well it's not to hard to look at a map of Africa and say they might not be wrong.

Their own paintings of themselves show them to be Mediterranean in appearance, as were North Africans generally, like the Berbers:

They made a distinction between themselves and the Nubians to the south based on skin color.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I sorta thought Grand Fromage meant their attire rather than ethnicity. (for that I have absolutely no idea)

There've been pretty extensive genetic studies of Egyptians, as I recall the consensus is that ethnically they were pretty close to how they are now. In general native populations actually getting displaced by their conquerors is really rare- even in cases like England, there was a big study that came out a couple of years ago where it turned out modern "Anglo-Saxon" English people are still mostly the same as Welsh and Scots etc, and that'd go doubly so for the Islamic conquests where the ethnic Arabs were spread over such a large area, and weren't even very numerous to begin with. Compared to Egypt which was one of the most densely populated parts of the world. If you wanna have an idea of what Ancient Egyptians looked like physically, look no farther than the people that are there today.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't know what everyone else's elementary school was like, but there is some implicit racism in the way people are often told that the ancient Egyptians weren't quite black.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Koramei posted:

I sorta thought Grand Fromage meant their attire rather than ethnicity. (for that I have absolutely no idea)

There've been pretty extensive genetic studies of Egyptians, as I recall the consensus is that ethnically they were pretty close to how they are now. In general native populations actually getting displaced by their conquerors is really rare- even in cases like England, there was a big study that came out a couple of years ago where it turned out modern "Anglo-Saxon" English people are still mostly the same as Welsh and Scots etc, and that'd go doubly so for the Islamic conquests where the ethnic Arabs were spread over such a large area, and weren't even very numerous to begin with. Compared to Egypt which was one of the most densely populated parts of the world. If you wanna have an idea of what Ancient Egyptians looked like physically, look no farther than the people that are there today.

Yeah, another good example are the Turks and Greeks who are genetically almost identical.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know what everyone else's elementary school was like, but there is some implicit racism in the way people are often told that the ancient Egyptians weren't quite black.

thrakkorzog posted:

What?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Koramei posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing a study comparing the genetic makeup of modern Greeks and modern Turks, and they're loving identical, which gave me a good chuckle. Just goes to show how invented and subjective ethnicity really is.

fe: beaten

No longer a thing in modern scholarship, but still a big deal in crazier parts of the internet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Egyptian_hypothesis

Halloween Jack posted:

Also that. I imagine it's a bigger deal in the States, where I'm sure people would love to point to ancient black polities to say they're just like the "mainline" white polities. I imagine they did exist in West Africa, but I think last time we talked about this the conclusion was that the archaeology just wasn't as developed there yet.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 11, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing a study comparing the genetic makeup of modern Greeks and modern Turks, and they're loving identical, which gave me a good chuckle. Just goes to show how invented and subjective ethnicity really is.

fe: beaten

No longer a thing in modern scholarship, but still a big deal in crazier parts of the internet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Egyptian_hypothesis

Also that. I imagine it's a bigger deal in the States, where I'm sure people would love to point to ancient black polities to say they're just like the "mainline" white polities. I imagine they did exist in West Africa, but I think last time we talked about this the conclusion was that the archaeology just wasn't as developed there yet.

Fair enough. I've also found that it's better to talk some bullshit than ask a question. If you ask a question you will get crickets, but if you make a wrong statement, people can't correct you fast enough.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 11, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Koramei posted:

Aren't the Scots a group of Irish invaders themselves?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

They've got nothing to do with African Americans, nor the West African peoples that most blacks in the New World descend from. That said, neither do the Sudanese, Amhara, Xhosa, Kikuyu, and the litany of other phenotypically "black" but non-West-African ethnic groups in the continent.

I don't think there's really a "look" to Egyptians, in any time period. Egypt has always been the at the crossroads of three continents, and like there's darker and paler Egyptians today, there were probably darker and paler Egyptians as long you look back.

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

thrakkorzog posted:

Herodotus describes the people who lived south of Egypt as being black, but doesn't call attention to skin color in other descriptions of the Egyptians. He doesn't talk much about their physical features at all, in fact, and in terms of clothes he mainly points out priestly garments. So I think either Greeks and Egyptians looked similar enough that it wasn't remarkable or that he thought it so commonly known to his audience that he didn't have to mention it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koramei posted:

I sorta thought Grand Fromage meant their attire rather than ethnicity.

You are correct.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

They've got nothing to do with African Americans, nor the West African peoples that most blacks in the New World descend from. That said, neither do the Sudanese, Amhara, Xhosa, Kikuyu, and the litany of other phenotypically "black" but non-West-African ethnic groups in the continent.

I don't think there's really a "look" to Egyptians, in any time period. Egypt has always been the at the crossroads of three continents, and like there's darker and paler Egyptians today, there were probably darker and paler Egyptians as long you look back.

I think his point is people can be real quick to dive on that particular issue to correct it. White people are wrong about a billion historical things, and when some black people try and find something to hang their hat on, they get shouted down real fast. The whole hotep "black people ran literally everything" deal is wrong, but you need to remember the context of it and not be a dickhead about correcting it since its not born of stupidity.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I think his point is people can be real quick to dive on that particular issue to correct it. White people are wrong about a billion historical things, and when some black people try and find something to hang their hat on, they get shouted down real fast. The whole hotep "black people ran literally everything" deal is wrong, but you need to remember the context of it and not be a dickhead about correcting it since its not born of stupidity.

Interesting of course is that the people the hat is being hanged on are insufficiently american to be of concern for either side.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The irony here is that the Egyptians themselves would cut you if you dared suggest they were connected to any other people on the planet. The Sun rose and set on Egypt, everyone else was inferior and may as well not even exist unless it was somehow useful to them.

The ancient Egyptians were Egyptians. That is all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You don't have to be a dick about it, but it does no one any good to have people believing in what are essentially comforting myths at the expense of understanding the reality of the area. If african americans (or afro-whatevers living somewhere else) want to be proud of a history that isn't just getting kidnapped by assholes there are things you can legitimately point them to. While the archaeology is sparse due to a combination of academic neglect and the political difficulties of the region, there are bona fide medieval kingdoms you can point to in W. Africa. Barring that we know significantly more (although still depressingly little) about groups on the E. African coast.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think the key on something like that is to correct it while immediately offering follow-up examples so that it's clear that you're not spouting some kind of "Black people are incapable of civilization" crap.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

You don't have to be a dick about it, but it does no one any good to have people believing in what are essentially comforting myths at the expense of understanding the reality of the area. If african americans (or afro-whatevers living somewhere else) want to be proud of a history that isn't just getting kidnapped by assholes there are things you can legitimately point them to. While the archaeology is sparse due to a combination of academic neglect and the political difficulties of the region, there are bona fide medieval kingdoms you can point to in W. Africa. Barring that we know significantly more (although still depressingly little) about groups on the E. African coast.

Also, Nubia was a thing, and there were actual, verifiable Nubian Pharaohs. That's kind of the tiny kernel of truth at the core of the Black Aphrodite thing. The Egyptians certainly weren't black, but there were periods towards the end of ancient Egypt where they were in fact, as far as we can tell, ruled by black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Hey now, Rome was a BBC/HBO co-production. That might be something you'd see in something pitched exclusively at the American market but I don't really see it panning out over here or internationally.