Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

Why don't people like Waze again

I like it. The UI is wank though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it's very 2010

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Why don't people like Waze again

Waze rules.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Everything except the UI is loving awesome. The UI is part of the identity now so I dunno how they could change it tastefully in a significant way.

I use it every time I'm in the car. Even if I know where I am going, its traffic knowledge is 2nd-to-none in large cities. It detects traffic jams that are only 20-30 cars long sometimes (single lane road + accident or something) and routes me out of the way.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Waze is good but it gives absolutely the worst possible directions for my commute, but I fortunately figured out how to make it stop defaulting to doing that every day. Also it's really slow to figure out what direction you're driving for some reason? Still worth it for the benefits, tho. I pretty much don't drive anywhere now without Waze running.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
^^^ How did you make it do what you want?

I should add that I love North-Up mode, which Apple Maps does not offer. Makes it much easier for example if it's slower to update your heading due to GPS interference or anything. Its approximate location function if GPS is unavailable (tall buildings, etc.) is also quite accurate with cell tower and wifi triangulation. I've found it to be significantly more accurate than GMaps or AMaps.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 10, 2016

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sometimes Waze has made me do a lot of work to shave off like a minute, so I get nervous about what it has planned.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What's the go to app/method to save YouTube videos to an iPad? Looking for free and pretty simple if possible.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ScarletBrother posted:

What's the go to app/method to save YouTube videos to an iPad? Looking for free and pretty simple if possible.

I don't think there is an app anymore. If you have a PC or Mac, just load the videos in Clipconverter.cc and then stick them on your iPad

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Dave posted:

Sometimes Waze has made me do a lot of work to shave off like a minute, so I get nervous about what it has planned.

Since data is usually thinner on surface streets I'm always skeptical that it does bring time savings as well.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't think there is an app anymore. If you have a PC or Mac, just load the videos in Clipconverter.cc and then stick them on your iPad

Will do this. Cheers!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waze doesn't work with CarPlay and is therefore dogshit garbage

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Endless Mike posted:

Endless Mike posted:

This is also the reason why I don't use Carplay. Also, because when I try to call into a conference line it registers my touchtones twice and I can never get the participant code in properly.

I wish Carplay would get some love.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Michael Scott posted:

^^^ How did you make it do what you want?

To stop auto-routing my commute every morning/afternoon? You have to log on to your account at waze.com (on a computer, I can't find any way to log in from the mobile site, and requesting the desktop version in Safari doesn't work), click the little gear next to your user name, and then uncheck "allow auto-suggestions for destinations" under personal details. It's the ONLY real setting on the website, and also the only one not in the app for some incomprehensible reason.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Dave posted:

I use Waze but I find this aspect of it extremely annoying.

On a certain commute in my area, it will always prioritise a route that is less than 1 minute quicker ETA but much more "risky" in terms of traffic lights and a railroad crossings.

If the ETA is less than a certain percentage better, and there are no reported traffic conditions or closures, it should default to the "naive" route IMO.

other annoyances:

~Coxy posted:

-always uses Location Services
-pesters you to "take a photo" of your destination
-nag screen while typing when moving
-updates with no changelog
-dumb social features
-sleep screen is annoying and shouldn't be necessary at all

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 11, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

While we're talking about Waze, did they announce anything about the future of it since it was bought by Google?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ScarletBrother posted:

Goodreader is the answer to everything. https://m.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/42av19/best_app_to_download_youtube_videos_to_watch/

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Holy poo poo this works

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LPG Giant posted:

Holy poo poo this works

Yeah there's also a link in there to a Workflow that apparently works too :stare:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

While we're talking about Waze, did they announce anything about the future of it since it was bought by Google?

Lately it seems they have been focusing on Waze Pool and their Waze beacons.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah there's also a link in there to a Workflow that apparently works too :stare:

Workflow is one of the best things. The Workflow for downloading a YouTube video and converting it to audio is just art to look at.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

It's still being worked on. Google is just using their data for Google Maps.

Expect it to be discontinued and a new mapping app created by Google within 2-3 years, of course.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

More like six map apps

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

So I just switched from Android to iPhone and realized that Google doesn't have any Push compatible protocols unless you use the Gmail or Inbox app. So that is fine I suppose but then when I use those apps, my calendars aren't all in one app. How do you all setup your phones?

At this point I'm seriously thinking about switching from my long time Google Apps account to Office 365.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 11, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

kiwid posted:

So I just switched from Android to iPhone and realized that Google doesn't have any Push compatible protocols unless you use the Gmail or Inbox app. So that is fine I suppose but then when I use those apps, my calendars aren't all in one app. How do you all setup your phones?

At this point I'm seriously thinking about switching from my long time Google Apps account to Office 365.

Have you added your Google account to the phone? (Settings > Mail.) It'll allow you to sync your choice of Google mail, contacts, calendars, etc. and you can use the calendar app of your choice. Still no push outside of Gmail/Inbox, but I do believe your next best bet is fetching every 15 minutes.

Outlook compounds email and calendars into one app. Haven't bothered with the calendar bit, but it'll probably do what you're looking for. On that note, push is supported for Office 365 email.

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 11, 2016

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

enojy posted:

Have you added your Google account to the phone? (Settings > Mail.) It'll allow you to sync your choice of Google mail, contacts, calendars, etc. and you can use the calendar app of your choice. Still no push outside of Gmail/Inbox, but I do believe your next best bet is fetching every 15 minutes.

Fetching every 15 would be fine but how badly does that kill your battery?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm a Gmail user using Mail.app with 15min Fetch and it's never bothered me battery wise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kiwid posted:

Fetching every 15 would be fine but how badly does that kill your battery?

Not bad at all. I have mine set to the smallest interval and didn't notice any battery drain.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use Inbox for my email and set fetch for calendars and contacts to one hour since I can't imagine being in a situation where that will matter in the slightest. (I recognize that if you're using this for work stuff that meetings and such can be scheduled in short notice, but then you should be using Google Apps G Suite which has push.)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm signed into my Google account with the default mail app but I don't use it. I just have everything setup so that if I must use the Mail.app, I can send a quick email. Otherwise, I've hidden the Mail.app and turned off all notifications for it.

I use the GMail app for push notifications and every day email usage.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Thwomp posted:

I'm signed into my Google account with the default mail app but I don't use it. I just have everything setup so that if I must use the Mail.app, I can send a quick email. Otherwise, I've hidden the Mail.app and turned off all notifications for it.

My fuckin man! You're doing iPhone right. And you're in Chicago too? Let me know if you ever want to grab a beer or hot dog.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
The gmail app is OK, but I still vastly prefer mail.app. Especially since it's integrated tighter into the OS and also with the watch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I really liked inbox when I used it. The trips things is very cool. Apple could do with a mail app for light users that's more friendly looking. Not that they will.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Yeah, this is how I have mine set up except I use Inbox because it only sends me notifications for important things.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I use Mail.app but have the Gmail app for notifications.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I swear to god outlook is still the best for professional iOS email use

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I use mail.app because I'm an absolute sucker for native integration of things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I use mail.app because I'm an absolute sucker for native integration of things.

Same. And I only deal with personal email which isn't a big deal.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Checked the OP, didn't see anything. What's the best adblock app for iOS 10? Mainly looking to adblock safari and youtube. On the App store, AdBlock looks good and at $1.99, probably worth it. I've read about Crystal, but the reviews for it are not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Check out Dark sky, Overcast, and 1Blocker.