Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

The amount of votes the loser received in various landslide victories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's supposed to make us not happier?

No, I'm saying you should be creaming your entire wardrobe. Every pair of pants you own should be ruined.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/785510457826238464

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Liberal justices on the Supreme Court are oddly defensive when it comes to the flag/patriotic symbols. In the Texas v. Johnson case regarding flag burning, liberal justice John Paul Stevens actually wrote a dissent that was basically flag worship.

John Paul Stevens posted:

Justice John Paul Stevens also wrote a dissenting opinion. Stevens argued that the flag "is more than a proud symbol of the courage, the determination, and the gifts of nature that transformed 13 fledgling Colonies into a world power. It is a symbol of freedom, of equal opportunity, of religious tolerance, and of good will for other peoples who share our aspirations. ... The value of the flag as a symbol cannot be measured." Stevens concluded, therefore, that "The case has nothing to do with 'disagreeable ideas.' It involves disagreeable conduct that, in my opinion, diminishes the value of an important national asset," and that Johnson was punished only for the means by which he expressed his opinion, not the opinion itself.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Noam Chomsky posted:

I guess you guys can't understand how misinterpreting the context of something can affect the way you see the content.

You couldn't be bothered to watch all of a less than two minute video dude, how is this reaction at all shocking?

The RBG quote is somewhat surprising, but it is definitely funny considering how many "gently caress yeah, Notorious RBG the badass!" people it bummed out.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mdemone posted:

Okay, if we are the Clinton camp, when do we release Oppo Thing #1 ("on par with pussy-grabbing") and when do we release Oppo Thing #2 ("worse than pussy-grabbing, ugh")?

#1, two days before the next debate
#2, five days before election day

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

No, I'm saying you should be creaming your entire wardrobe.

ah, good, carry on

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

In a way, being completely out of blood is kind of like stopping the bleeding.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sweet, now I don't have to leave the house and waste time voting.
J/K, I live in a good state, so I vote by mail anyway. Please vote and help smoosh Rs like bug.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

To everyone creaming themselves over those polls.

Don't forget that Trump's going to push for the heads of everyone who turned on him.

That's the best part. After he loses in a landslide the GOP will do everything they can to insist that Clinton didn't win a referendum, voters were just rejecting Trump.

But Trump is going to lash out like a rabid dog when they try to throw him under the bus, and the deplorables are going to be on his side :getin:

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
If those numbers hold up until election day does anyone have any idea what the electoral map will look like? How many electoral votes would that land Abuela?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phone posted:

Original post:

First reply:

So you lead off with a "gently caress all of you" and end with a "gently caress all of you", but we are all the real monsters because we decided to read your post and take it at face value.

It's not hard to apologize. Wanna know how? Take your post, and I'm only going to use words that you used, OK, so you had complete agency over this the entire time:

What makes this lovely dehumanizing trolling so dumb is, this was the post originally:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't have access to speakers right now, what is she saying?

So Noam lied and made poo poo up to denigrate a women to answer a factual question about a video.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

This is playing on repeat in the Clinton campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04F4xlWSFh0

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Noam Chomsky posted:

I'm married to a sexual assault survivor, actually. So, gently caress off.

This isn't any better than saying "I have black friends" fyi.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Keep in mind that poll is post Pussygate but before the debate

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

My guess is lowest pop vote % in modern elections

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Xarthor posted:

If those numbers hold up until election day does anyone have any idea what the electoral map will look like? How many electoral votes would that land Abuela?

This is in the 450+ range. States like OK will stay red with these margins but this is Blue Texas territory.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly it really pisses me off that RGB considers nonviolent protest against massive police abuse "stupid and arrogant." The justice system she is part of is doing nothing so what should these people do instead?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

On one hand I'm glad I work from home but on the other it's all MY stuff this erection keeps knocking on the floor.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 10, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Xarthor posted:

10-14% is prolly enough to flip AZ, GA and put Texas in play. Would also likely secure the House and Senate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Radish posted:

Honestly it really pisses me off that RGB considers nonviolent protest against massive police abuse "stupid and arrogant."

She's white.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/785511181154971648
Also, fav numbers (Very/Somewhat Positive/Neutral/Somewhat/Very Negative)
Clinton: 22/18/10/13/37 (-10)
Trump: 16/13/8/11/52 (-34)

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i like noam chomsky

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Nate is officially unshook.

538-0 victory confirmed.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hHDxlm66dE

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Xarthor posted:

If we base it on 2012 turnout and results, it would look something like this:

http://www.270towin.com/maps/1Av93

Clinton: 378
Trump: 150
Too Close to call: 10

If we base it closer to how Trump is performing generally, Texas would go blue.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Soup du Jour posted:

You couldn't be bothered to watch all of a less than two minute video dude, how is this reaction at all shocking?

The RBG quote is somewhat surprising, but it is definitely funny considering how many "gently caress yeah, Notorious RBG the badass!" people it bummed out.

It is encouraging that people are engaging with the lovely thing RGB said rather than hastening to make excuses for her because she's traditionally on our team.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

vyelkin posted:

WHAT

This is 538-0 landslide territory

Let's not get carried away. A ~12 point lead is massive, but not Era of Good Feelings massive.

If I were Clinton, I would be directing money downstream to support Senate and House races. The race for the presidency seems all but won, but she can significantly carve into the Republican lead in both houses if things go right.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I really hope this isn't an outlier because :drat:

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Let us take a moment to reflect, a few pages ago, posters were disappointed that a breaking news story was only the Republican Speaker of the House, who was the Vice-Presidential candidate last election cycle, saying he will not support the Republican nominee for President, and saying the Presidential race is finished. That is how low the Trump campaign has gone.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Mondale got blasted into smithereens and still got 40.6% of the popular vote?

Trump dead.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Noam Chomsky posted:

I said I was sorry for misinterpreting the video. The context I thought I had for the video, the fact that I only watched a short bit of it, and the fact that I just don't take anything involving politics or campaigns at face value, resulted in me assuming the girl was crying crocodile tears and I made a bad post.

There's a video trending on YouTube, right now, from Brietbart, with Juanita Broaddrick, reliving her alleged rape by Bill Clinton and intimidation by Hillary. Do you take that at face value? Is it fair to be skeptical of that? My takeaway here, aside from me being a horrible monster, is that you should take anything involving sexual assault at face value, even when it involves political campaigns.

I'm skeptical of Broaddrick, yeah but for reasons entirely not to do with her being on the other team. Her story about Clinton intimidating her is ridiculous and the GOP was looking for anything they could use against Bill and still dismissed that as it wouldn't do anything. Y'know, actual substantive reasons instead of just calling her a fake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is just one poll at the worst moment of Trump's campaign so don't start getting too excited.

Still, goddamn

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Can we get a GIF of the High Sparrow with Paul Ryan's head superimposed being incinerated by wildfire while his house blows up TIA.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is anyone else concerned that these numbers are coming a full 4 weeks before Election Day instead of closer to it?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

That is just one poll at the worst moment of Trump's campaign so don't start getting too excited.

Still, goddamn

I don't think the debate gonna help him.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Purely anecdotal, but the coworkers I've talked to today all think Trump made an rear end of himself last night. Also anecdotal, one of them switched dentists recently because the hygeinist was pro-Trump, and another decided not to have her kid's birthday party at a local farm because there were too many Trump signs on nearby houses. She's black and was honestly worried about being there after dark.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Xarthor posted:

Incredibly simple and reductive way:

538 has Clinton +6 nationally (49 to 43%) compared to +11/+14 in the NBC poll. If we were to take every state 538 currently has at Trump +6 or less and flip them to Hillary (therefore assuming that the shift from Clinton +6 to Clinton +12ish is universal across the country in every state), you get this map (leaving Trump +6~8 neutral as tossups):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

djw175 posted:

I'm skeptical of Broaddrick, yeah but for reasons entirely not to do with her being on the other team. Her story about Clinton intimidating her is ridiculous and the GOP was looking for anything they could use against Bill and still dismissed that as it wouldn't do anything. Y'know, actual substantive reasons instead of just calling her a fake.
Also she attested in an affidavit to the contrary, and refused to go public about it until she was pressured by Jones.

• Locked thread