Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Savidudeosoo posted:

This is starting to feel like that Newspaper Spider-Man edit where everyone keeps repeating themselves every panel.

First exposure to Classic Dick Tracy, I take it?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
When you first started posting that story and Tracy said he just came from a circus I suddenly had this image in my head where there's the circus story, and then it immediately repeats itself.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, it is.

And hoo boy is it something.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's not Classic Dick Tracy, it's G2 Dick Tracy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Evil Mastermind posted:

True, but it's not like you can't go down to the corner drug store and pick one up for like five bucks.

Hey, a banana and a candle cost less.

Then you can eat a banana in candle light!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

it's all downhill after Crisis on Infinite Dicks anyway

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (1969)
Bad, bad news. No archives are available for the Village Voice for 1968. Kind of an important year, news-wise. On to '69.

I wonder why there's no reminiscence of 1968... :lsd:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh, right, sorry.

Locher-era Tracy was insane. I remember the time it took Tracy a week and a half to draw a playing card, and that time there was a giant Dick Tracy robot.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's certainly the Rodimus Prime of dialogue.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life - what? :psyduck: "How did you recognize ne not in costume?"

I went to check the original, and I was inordinately pleased that the caption box on this and the last comic are legit.

I don't know why that's so satisfying.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Is this "She's going to Africa and he's coming to New York" thing a frequent premise in Classic Phantom or am I getting messed up by the Sundays/Weekdays being off?

F Minus

Mary Worth

You know, they still have't involved Mary in this at all. I don't think I've commented on that yet because I keep expecting her to show up like right after I think of it. I guess that might be who she's talking to on the phone but you'd think they'd show Mary talking on her end.

Rex Morgan MD

That's the worst entendre I've ever heard.

Jungle Jim

Gotta dance! Gotta dance!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

You know, they still have't involved Mary in this at all. I don't think I've commented on that yet because I keep expecting her to show up like right after I think of it. I guess that might be who she's talking to on the phone but you'd think they'd show Mary talking on her end.

Mary told Iris to spend some time with her son. That's enough for her to get the credit for this happy ending.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
This might seem weird, but I feel like MW... lost something once the artwork improved.

I think the issue is that the dynamic, more technically proficient artwork doesn't match the general blandness of the plots. The recent plot lines are sedate (and easily resolved), so the almost surreal artwork of the previous artist was what held your interest. Even if the plot was bland, you could at least snark at a character's cross-eyes expression, or an awkwardly drawn beard or whatever.

For the new artwork to be truly appreciated, we need to get a crazier, more dramatic plot line; something on the level of Aldomania. :psyduck:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Yeah, the whole Aldo Kelrast storyline really breathed some life into Mary Worth.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County wants to have a heart-to-heart with you.

Peanuts (October 12, 1969)

Bite My Pasty Pale rear end, Les Moore

Today, Les Moore thanks all of the women in his life who don't appear in this strip anymore, even as background cameos, while sharing a tender moment with the one who isn't around to answer for herself anymore.

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets (November 6 and 13, 1927)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Simian_Prime posted:

This might seem weird, but I feel like MW... lost something once the artwork improved.

I think the issue is that the dynamic, more technically proficient artwork doesn't match the general blandness of the plots. The recent plot lines are sedate (and easily resolved), so the almost surreal artwork of the previous artist was what held your interest. Even if the plot was bland, you could at least snark at a character's cross-eyes expression, or an awkwardly drawn beard or whatever.

For the new artwork to be truly appreciated, we need to get a crazier, more dramatic plot line; something on the level of Aldomania. :psyduck:
I agree. I guess we can hope that hiring a new artist was just the start and they will either hire a new writer next or get the current one to change things up a bit. If Ces's run on JP goes well maybe it will cause a shakeup on more soap strips.

Cartoon Cavalcade

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Is this "She's going to Africa and he's coming to New York" thing a frequent premise in Classic Phantom or am I getting messed up by the Sundays/Weekdays being off?

You are probably remembering a Sunday story. It took a long time, but we have finally overtaken the offset in original publishing date between the weekday and Sunday Classic Phantoms. The last few weekday Phantom storylines we've had are, for all intents and purposes, repeats.

(If anybody's curious, the Sunday Phantom posted below was originally published on September 9,1951 while the last weekday one I posted was from August 31, 1949.)

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

OH MY GOD THEIR DRAWINGS :swoon:

Big Ben Bolt

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Ah, so this dumb plotline is a tradition.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Simian_Prime posted:

I don't think that would even be enough now, because even the crazier Mary Worth plots owed a lot of their entertainment value to the art. Like, remember when Mary had a psychic vision of Olive drowning and dived into the pool to rescue her? Competently drawn, that just wouldn't be as funny.

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

OH MY GOD THEIR DRAWINGS :swoon:
The best part is how the Phantom's pose int he final panel matches the drawing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set works the system.

Working Daze approaches the singularity.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix knows management is the worst!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets Lebensraum

The Phantom

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Henry

Kliban

Lockhorns

The Lost Bear

Moose and Molly

Office Hours

Pickles

Reply All

Shoe

The only way I can make sense of this joke is if they confused newspapers with TV, and that makes no sense.

Ziggy

The president just suddenly had two kids living with him and said nothing about it, and no one questioned that? :crossarms:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Shoe

The only way I can make sense of this joke is if they confused newspapers with TV, and that makes no sense.
Yeah. If you're on the radio you can be completely naked, which is same as newspapers really. :yosbutt:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Tiggum posted:

Shoe

Cosmo is a reporter and reporters have to go interview people which, presumably, goes better if you're wearing pants

Asaekkiga knows how to get results

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Shoe

Also, this character already does not wear pants.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Hurricane delayed comics!

Saturday Luann Comments

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 2 days ago
“The Appeal Of Murphy’s Law”
“Hasty Pudding”
‘Impru-dence In The ’Cans’ "
“Rash Hour”
’Bound To Leap"
“Wild Horses And Bridal Talk”
“Curb Your Tongue, Knave!” (♪♫)
“The Dutchess Of Haphazard”
“The Impetuousness Monster”
“Brash Tacks”
“Cocky Stock And Barrelling”
“Look Both Ways, Before You Cross The Grand Canyon”
“A Leap Year Of Faith”
Or
“One Flew Out Of The Cuckoo’s Mouth”

quote:

Brdshtt GoComics PRO Member said, 2 days ago
A little off subject here – I think the higher – ups here should give us back the ability to insert images into the comments again. They do not have to be large ones. If they are earlier strips put up for calrification of a point or to bring newbies up to speed, they could be standard size. If they are images glommed off of Google or one’s computer, allow a modest 250 X 250 limit. I had always tried to keep my images smaller than 340 X 340. Hopefully, they will reconsider. If they went at least that far, i would reconsider renewing my PRO status.

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 2 days ago
“When You got the DeGroot Team on your side, nothing can go wrong.”_______________________________________
Oh REALLY, Lu?? Tell THAT to Pretty Boy….,

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
@Mikeyj
“Wouldn’t it be ironic, if it took several hours for Brad to pick out his tuxedo?”_____________________
Mikey, my friend, THAT Should Only take about 30 minutes.2 Minutes for His So-Called “Best Friend,” Old Smiley, to talk Him into wearing something Idiotic and 28 minutes for Them to drive to the Shop to pick it Up.

Sunday Luann!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h1F93EJIds

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
Hey Toni.
You’d better ask what Brad is Gonna Be Wearing…..,

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 1 day ago
“Doing A Bit Of Sole Searching”
“The Shod Couple”
“Slipper Some Cash”
“Loafer Bread”
’She’s So Pumped"
“Don’t Let The Sound Of Your Own Heels Drive You Crazy”(♪)
“Living On The Wedge”
“Avoid The Scuff Neighborhood”
“Just Deserts, For The Cobbler”
“A Moot Boot Point”
“Never A Sandal Moment”
“Straps, For Cash”
“Open To A Jam Session”
“Toed, At Your Own Expense”
“You’re In For A Long Gait”
“Just For Kicks”
or…
“It’s A Sin To Mock A Moccasin”

Then someone with a Steven Universe avatar posts like 8 times in a row.

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, about 24 hours ago
@Argythree
“Brad has no idea, TJ will decide. Probably a neon green clown suit…”____________________________________
Please, NO ‘Clowns.’ There’s ENOUGH of Them, Real and Imaginary, Running around Loose in the Country, as it is.
I’d Say Old Smiley will talk Brad into wearing a Fashionable Caveman Outfit, with a Well Balanced Club, so He May drag His New Wife Off to His Cave, seeing as How Little Shannon has no doubt, COMPLETELY Demolished the Rental…,

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (September 17, 1951)

Nancy (November 1, 1943)

Gasoline Alley (July 30, 1923)

Barney Google (July 31, 1922)

Alley Oop (October 30, 1933)

Lil' Abner (March 29, 1937)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

That is some top-notch sciencing, right there.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

You got her into this stupid situation, she's entitled to passive-aggressively bitch at you as much as she wants.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Fish

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Selachian posted:

Edge of Fish

:pwn:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

I knew she'd show up as soon as i mentioned the fact she hasn't been around in a while.

Rex Morgan MD

"Where are we gonna put all this lamp?"

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
We've been following Edge of Adventure for eight months and we're just now getting to the beginning of the story. Is there anybody here who was expecting that title to be so literal?

Skippy (August 9-10, 1929)

Peanuts (October 13, 1969)

Tom Batiuk Can Bite My rear end

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 6-7, 1929)

Thimble Theater (April 29, 1930)

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

:911:

9 Chickweed Lane

Another strip featuring Brooke's burnouts.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

So tea-bagging is much older phenomenon than I had thought.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (December 6-7, 1929)

I really appreciate depression-era heavy machining comix. Trade offs like these ring just as true today as they did in 1929, although J.R. Williams is going to be blown away by tungsten carbide inserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You'd think "characters in the corner explaining the joke with lots and lots of text", which shows up a lot in comics like that and old old school TDIET, would be annoying, and yet, their consistently so much funnier than modern newspaper comics. It's like everyone figured out newspapers are dying and now their comedy hospices.

• Locked thread