Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hurrah Canada is respected again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

namaste faggots posted:

https://twitter.com/MyPetGloat/status/784828205299474432?s=09

I can't wait until y'all favorite pm establishes a Muslim snitch line and guts stats can

Did Trudeau run on a 15 dollar min wage?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

patonthebach posted:

Did Trudeau run on a 15 dollar min wage?

I think it was the NDP who ran on 15 dollar fed minimum wage.

If thread happens to be on the 'canada sucks' train right now you'll like this story - last night in my southern AB city two native boys were kidnapped off the street by a hate group and about 16 hours later found their way to police with some injuries.

This is where I'd like to link you to relevant news cycle stories. Three guesses why I can't.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Cut to the chase

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kim Campbell's tweet was deleted, what was it?

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nice.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Utgardaloki posted:

I think it was the NDP who ran on 15 dollar fed minimum wage.

If thread happens to be on the 'canada sucks' train right now you'll like this story - last night in my southern AB city two native boys were kidnapped off the street by a hate group and about 16 hours later found their way to police with some injuries.

This is where I'd like to link you to relevant news cycle stories. Three guesses why I can't.

I have a lot of trouble believing this without a news story. Where did you hear about this,maybe on facebook? Kidnapping in Canada is incredibly rare, and virtually all cases with minors involve paternal child custody; and the cases in which adults are taken involve robbery or sex crimes. It would be a gigantic story if it was a hate crime kidnapping.

The only thing I could find online about kidnapping in AB is this...

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/four-arrested-after-investigation-into-threats-made-on-social-media-1.3101388

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 9, 2016

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Is the Canadian media generally so involved in American elections? I keep on seeing Article after article on Trump. trump is horrible. trump is the worst. trump sucks.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Minge Binge posted:

Is the Canadian media generally so involved in American elections? I keep on seeing Article after article on Trump. trump is horrible. trump is the worst. trump sucks.

Yeah it replenishes our strategic smug reserves for the next 4 years.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Minge Binge posted:

The US general election is a pretty Big Deal and is a huge international news story. It's probably a bigger deal this year as Trump is a goldmine for idiotic statements

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Don't forget the Americans will make or break the TPP. US policy is very important internationally

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

A Typical Goon posted:

The US general election is a pretty Big Deal and is a huge international news story. It's probably a bigger deal this year as Trump is a goldmine for idiotic statements

No way Americans suck!!!!!

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

patonthebach posted:

I have a lot of trouble believing this without a news story. Where did you hear about this,maybe on facebook?

I heard 'about' it from my backyard as it happened and my limited scope of events seemed to match the account of the two eyewitnesses who saw it happen.

I'm curious why you think hate crime against First Nations has suddenly become newsworthy without the need of whistleblowers. Local news hasn't picked up the story yet and if I'm generous I assume it's because it was resolved within 24 hours - cynically, there's an active hate group who's been assaulting lone native people maybe bimonthly dating back to Idle No More kicking off and I've never seen that reported on either.

Past that, racial tension here skyrocketed in the last week and a half because a woman was assaulted and rendered comatose and the suspect the police picked up was native. People who dare share his family name in the area has been on the receiving end of all sorts of harassment.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's possible to say that Trump is a dangerous, misogynistic, racist, sexist buffoon, and still be critical of Canadian politics and politicians. Those are not mutually exclusive things.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

No way Americans suck!!!!!

Instead of a misogynist racist businessman the Americans get a right wing war hawk leader! Yay democracy!!

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In a country with a poorly reported on commission investigating how 3000 aboriginal women were murdered or disappeared without a peep, it isn't really a stretch that it happened.

Especially in the prairies.

Canmore is still the headquarters for the Canadian KKK isn't it?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

A Typical Goon posted:

But it still seems strange to me. They seem to be targeting Trump a lot, yet there is rarely anything on Clinton or anything else regarding the election for that matter. trump trump trump. Trump did this. Trump did that. It seems every day there's a minor (and sometimes major) scandal in the trump camp and it's the top of the page on NP. G&M and NP read a lot like MSNBC right now.
I imagine it all comes down to readership. And people care about Trump a lot. You would never see this many articles critical of any other single politician. Especially when it's another state.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

ocrumsprug posted:

In a country with a poorly reported on commission investigating how 3000 aboriginal women were murdered or disappeared without a peep, it isn't really a stretch that it happened.

I hope the people responsible spend an appropriate amount of time in prison where they receive intense rehabilitation and forced education on Aboriginal history so that learn from this mistake and become beneficial citizens in the future

lol they're probably white so they won't even go to jail

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Minge Binge posted:

But it still seems strange to me. They seem to be targeting Trump a lot, yet there is rarely anything on Clinton or anything else regarding the election for that matter. trump trump trump. Trump did this. Trump did that. It seems every day there's a minor (and sometimes major) scandal in the trump camp and it's the top of the page on NP. G&M and NP read a lot like MSNBC right now.
I imagine it all comes down to readership. And people care about Trump a lot. You would never see this many articles critical of any other single politician. Especially when it's another state.

It's because it's the biggest + most entertaining news story in the world right now, it's not a canadian media specific thing.

A deranged orange reality TV character is one of two people who could theoretically be handed the keys to the worlds most powerful army a month from now.

And every single day he's publicly melting down and saying insane and hilarious poo poo. It's a pretty unique situation historically.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

But we can't vote against him because Shillary kills American troops and also she coughed that time

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Minge Binge posted:

Try CBC if you think those are bad.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Minge Binge posted:

In my experience magazine and newspaper editors pay very close attention to which stories get the most clicks. They also have no budget whatsoever for doing actual journalism. Stories about Trump generate a lot of clicks and cost nothing to write so it's a win-win from the media's perspective.

On some intuitive level I also think people fear that whether or not Trump losses he represents a very plausible future trajectory for politics to follow. Conservatives at the Globe or National Post are probably more sensitive to this reality since Canadian liberals tend to be incredibly naive and dumb about such things.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

ocrumsprug posted:

I thought it was Caroline?

Provost has a history of supplying Calgary with Nazis and Klansmen

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-genetically-modified-food-1.3796869

quote:

Canadians anxious but ill-informed about genetically engineered food
Consumers call for clear, mandatory labels, but are unclear themselves on what a GM food is

A new report finds Canadians are critical yet overwhelmingly confused about food that has been genetically engineered, but they want mandatory labels to help inform their grocery choices.

A research report commissioned by Health Canada finds consumers have "strong feelings" about being able to identify genetically modified products when they're shopping, and 78 per cent are calling for clear labelling on packages.

"There was a prevailing belief among participants that there should be greater transparency to consumers and, once raised, many questioned why government in particular should be resistant to providing consumers with more information that would help them make more informed decisions," read the findings from The Strategic Counsel.

Given the choice, 62 per cent would buy a non-GM food over a GM product out of fears of health hazards or impacts on the environment.

Consumers don't understand science

But the research, which was conducted through focus groups and online surveys to gauge public perceptions, also reveals that consumers have little understanding about the science of what many dubbed "Frankenfood." Often, it's confused with goods that have had additives like preservatives or hormone injections.

"Lack of awareness and understanding affects their confidence in the food supply and raises their level of concern," the report says.

Some of the words commonly used by participants included "fake," "mutations," "man-made" or "mass produced."

According to Health Canada's website, all GM foods are "rigorously assessed" for safety prior to being allowed on the market. But labelling is now voluntary.

Push for labelling

NDP MP Pierre-Luc Dusseault says Canadians have every right to know what they're eating, and he has tabled a private member's bill to require mandatory labels.

"The more information we give to consumers, the better," he said.

He pointed to a new GM labelling law in Vermont that requires processed foods sold in the state that contain genetically engineered ingredients to say so on the label. Similar laws exist in countries across Europe.

But negative views revealed in the research highlight a "difficult challenge" for Health Canada ahead.

Anti-GM advocates have successfully filled the "information void," the report reads.

"Consumers' initial response and reaction to the topic of GM foods is certainly not positive and clearly presents some formidable challenges for Health Canada communicators and policy-makers with respect to addressing the level of confusion, misinformation and generally low awareness/understanding that currently exists."

'Pushback' expected

According to Health Canada's website, a GM food is one derived from an organism that has been changed through:

Traditional crossbreeding techniques.
Using chemicals or radiation to alter genetic makeup.
Introducing a gene from one species into another species.
A company typically takes seven to 10 years to research and obtain approval for sale, and only 120 genetically modified foods have been approved by Health Canada to date, ranging from insect-resistant corn to genetically modified yeast that cuts certain compounds in wine.

In May, Health Canada provoked controversy when it approved the first genetically modified food animal for sale after "rigorous" scientific reviews.

While a high number of participants opposed GM food in any form, the report said regulatory, safety and approvals processes could give greater comfort to those "sitting on the fence."

"However, the extent of likely pushback cannot be underestimated. From the survey, only 26 per cent of respondents indicated they would be comfortable eating foods that have been genetically modified, and just 22 per cent support the development and sale of GM foods in Canada. It is clear that significant efforts to inform and educate Canadians would be required in order to shift views in a more positive direction."

Other findings:

The argument that genetic modification helps produce more affordable, sustainable food draws some empathy for developing nations where population growth and supply of arable land are challenges, but hold "little sway" in Canada, one of the world's leading agricultural producers.
Consumers aren't convinced that GM foods are as safe, tasty or nutritious.
Most see the market for GM foods as one created as a means to increase corporate profits, not to address demand or evolving preferences.
Consumers are just as concerned about GM as they are about herbicides and pesticides and growth hormones.
The research, carried out by The Strategic Counsel for a cost of $119,000, was completed in late June and recently publicly posted online.

It was based on focus groups in five centres and an online survey of 2,018 respondents. Data is based on an online survey of 2,018 Canadians, aged 19 years and older between March 24 and March 29, 2016. A margin of error is not available due to the sampling method for the survey.

lol canadians smh

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Just label all the GMOs and let the consumers choose when the non-GMOs are 1.5x-2x as expensive due to not being sustainable in a modern environment. :q:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/citizenship-revocation-trudeau-harper-1.3795733

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

And it'll work because that's the same kind of woo that made people so afraid of atoms that we have to burn garbage for heat and clean our food with water

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Looks like Canada has it's own basket of deplorables, and guess where they're situated :allears:

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

I dig all the earnest, wordy, cringey posts that I've seen popping up on Facebook for the last few months. People going into detail on what would happen if the united states elect trump. All these doomsday scenarios. But I think my favorite part about Canadians commenting on the United States election is how I always get an impression from them that everything was fine until Trump became prominent. That America always had this redneck base, and all it took was a Trump to unlock them. And once Trump is gone everything will be back to normal. Everything will be fine. The madness will finally end. Hillary and Trudeau will be in office, and our two nations will continue to prosper.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Thanks for the cutting analysis

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Looks like Canada has it's own basket of deplorables, and guess where they're situated :allears:

Do not be rude towards our energy citizens.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Happy Thanksgiving peasants and subjects :)

Go Jays

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Minge Binge posted:

I dig all the earnest, wordy, cringey posts that I've seen popping up on Facebook for the last few months. People going into detail on what would happen if the united states elect trump. All these doomsday scenarios. But I think my favorite part about Canadians commenting on the United States election is how I always get an impression from them that everything was fine until Trump became prominent. That America always had this redneck base, and all it took was a Trump to unlock them. And once Trump is gone everything will be back to normal. Everything will be fine. The madness will finally end. Hillary and Trudeau will be in office, and our two nations will continue to prosper.

I'd be much more concerned with Hillary's antagonistic approach to Russia and her pretty well saying she plans to go to war with the Syrian Regime than i would be about a bunch of stupid rednecks in Texas that have always and will always be there

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Policy advisors have already finished photocopying the papers recommending against doing that insane thing. Also lol Trump suggesting that Russia wouldn't be propping up Assad if only the states had modern nukes.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jan posted:

Just label all the GMOs and let the consumers choose when the non-GMOs are 1.5x-2x as expensive due to not being sustainable in a modern environment. :q:

Unironically this. Organic (or whatever) is definitely sustainable, just usually more expensive.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

A Typical Goon posted:

I'd be much more concerned with Hillary's antagonistic approach to Russia and her pretty well saying she plans to go to war with the Syrian Regime than i would be about a bunch of stupid rednecks in Texas that have always and will always be there

Right except Trump and those Texas rednecks are openly talking about using tactical nukes in regional conflicts and proliferating nukes to western allies.

I consider that a lot scarier than a conventional proxy war in Syria.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Right except Trump and those Texas rednecks are openly talking about using tactical nukes in regional conflicts and proliferating nukes to western allies.

I consider that a lot scarier than a conventional proxy war in Syria.

I believe that Trump and the Texas redneck had that nuke chat in private but they were hacked by the russians you see who are just trying to influence the election so please disregard all that tyia. Abraham Lincoln.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I believe that Trump and the Texas redneck had that nuke chat in private but they were hacked by the russians you see who are just trying to influence the election so please disregard all that tyia. Abraham Lincoln.

:ssh: grownups are talking

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

:ssh: grownups are talking

Can you hear them upstairs?