Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
no biggie just get one of those sweet parallel to serial to usb converters that are so popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

noticed something odd in the incoming queue

Is that a vendor supplied backup solution, or am I reading that wrong? Or is the Mac actually part of the joke? It's late and I'm upset about College Clownball.

You'll probably need to get a SCSI to USB adaptor. So start inventing one.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

flosofl posted:

Is that a vendor supplied backup solution, or am I reading that wrong? Or is the Mac actually part of the joke? It's late and I'm upset about College Clownball.

You'll probably need to get a SCSI to USB adaptor. So start inventing one.

Sir, this is a computer repair shop

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm sure there's some really important files on there.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Jesus H.

I had to add Ethernet cards to a lab full of LC IIIs in like 1998, and they were 5 years old then. I can't even imagine how one would get documents off one of those now. FTP if it boots, and can you can find FTP software for it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well what you'd do if you had access to a SCSI card in a more modern PC, is to yank out the hard drive and then image it to a file you can use in an emulator like Basilisk II. Basilisk II can also be setup to directly boot from an attached SCSI drive in Windows.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NeuralSpark posted:

Jesus H.

I had to add Ethernet cards to a lab full of LC IIIs in like 1998, and they were 5 years old then. I can't even imagine how one would get documents off one of those now. FTP if it boots, and can you can find FTP software for it?

Fortunately Fetch is evergreen. Now just find a floppy

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I was out Thursday with sick kids.

I was out Friday with sick me.

I was stuck in bed all weekend, praying for a merciful end.

I woke up this morning completely refreshed and ready to catch up on everything I was behind on. I woke up bright and early, got dressed, and headed into work several hours early to get a head start on some projects.

Ahh. Nothing compares to an empty campus at 5:30. No phone calls, no one "catching me" in the hallway to help with their bullshit non-issues, no director to fuss about things that are out of my control.

Just two and a half hours of peace and quiet.

6:30 rolls around and all is still quiet. The receptionist should be coming in soon, but she keeps to herself.

7:30 rolls around and all is still quiet. She's probably off today. Another 20 minutes or so and thing will liven up. I've accomplished a lot, though.

It's 8:30 and all is still quiet. Where is everyone.

Oh, yeah. School's closed today.

Welp.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Happy genocide day larchesdanrew!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's loving hilarious. Well, enjoy your productive half-day I guess!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
On the plus side, you were able to catch up on a bunch of work so that's not so bad when you think about it?

I volunteered to work today during Canadian Thanksgiving. Our office hours are 8am to 7pm, so I have a 11hr shift ahead of me. At least I'll have banked a day and a half off. Plus, gives me the chance to catch up on some work (which I'm totally doing and not just browsing the forums, honestly!)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Time to say there was some important maintenance to be done when no one was on the system!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Migishu posted:

On the plus side, you were able to catch up on a bunch of work so that's not so bad when you think about it?

I volunteered to work today during Canadian Thanksgiving. Our office hours are 8am to 7pm, so I have a 11hr shift ahead of me. At least I'll have banked a day and a half off. Plus, gives me the chance to catch up on some work (which I'm totally doing and not just browsing the forums, honestly!)

Absolutely documenting this for comp time.

SEKCobra posted:

Time to say there was some important maintenance to be done when no one was on the system!

This is actually perfect because I've got to image a bunch of office worker's computers so I can install new machines, but they're never not in their office long enough for me to do it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

larchesdanrew posted:

Absolutely documenting this for comp time.

This is actually perfect because I've got to image a bunch of office worker's computers so I can install new machines, but they're never not in their office long enough for me to do it.

I am not working on a day off no matter how productive it would be.

gently caress that.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Sickening posted:

I am not working on a day off no matter how productive it would be.

gently caress that.

I've technically been off for four days now. I'd rather come in on an actual off day to avoid the shitstorm of backlog coming in tomorrow

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

larchesdanrew posted:

I've technically been off for four days now. I'd rather come in on an actual off day to avoid the shitstorm of backlog coming in tomorrow

Being that you were sick all weekend you would still benefit more from another day of rest. It would be more mentally healthy to not spend your day off working. The work can wait.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, there's something quite relaxing about doing some work with no one to pressure you. Plus, it might be good for him to walk around and stretch considering he's been bedridden for the past few days.

I would emphasize, though, not pushing yourself.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh, yeah. School's closed today.

Work's closed today. Got an automated notification of a major outage.

God it was creepy walking into a vacant basement... with a 100-year boiler rumbling... and the glow of an exit sign to light my path.

I was half-expecting the furnace from Home Alone to scream "HELLOOOOO DUDEGUYYYYYYYY". :ghost:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Pretty much all my clients are open today! Yay working in media.

Except the people who were supposed to make sure the machine I'm supposed to set up today is actually here it seems. Nothing like showing up on site to connect and configure a machine and finding a very annoyed person at the desk instead. Sorry they gave you no notice that your desk is being stolen by another department!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
The only days off I get are on Fridays and I already have them off. :saddowns:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The immune system can wait, re-imaging office computers cannot

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

atomicthumbs posted:

noticed something odd in the incoming queue

Look at dat yellow pizza box :getout:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Actually, working on a general off day sounds great as long as you have no plans, it means more money as well as no one around to bother you.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm at work, but none of the other techs are so guess how much fun I'm having

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Today's officially not a company holiday but everyone's in holiday mode anyway.

So technically it's business as usual but nobody's actually doing anything.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Renegret posted:

Your avatar keeps getting better and better.

And of course nobody is doing anything, they're all ghosts! :v:

Meanwhile I'm racking up billable hours waiting for client IT to stop playing musical chairs with a machine and actually deliver it to where it's supposed to be. But it's in midtown and I'm downtown so that could take the next 4 or 5 hours.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 10, 2016

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pr0digal posted:

Your avatar keeps getting better and better.

And of course nobody is doing anything, they're all ghosts! :v:

for bonus points, I can re-use it for Christmas as the Ghost of Help Dogs Past.

Holy poo poo I'm so bored today. It's really making up for the clusterfuck we had yesterday (utility pole fire fused three fiber trunks together, no way to fix it other than a clean cut down all three of them in the middle of the day)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Renegret posted:

So, business as usual.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

So, business as usual.

............yes

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The top analyst requested a computer for home, the primary usage to be remoting into his Mac Pro here at work that's running Windows 8.1. He seems to understand that little horsepower is required since the Mac Pro is the computer doing the actual work. All the home machine needs to do is start the session.

So he asked for a 27" 5k iMac. At first he was ok with an i5 then he said "Well, just in case it should be as powerful as possible and like my Mac Pro it should boot to Windows. Just in case." He quickly optioned it up until it was over $3k. I sent the quote to the CEO who quickly approved it, like he does all requests for this analyst. They're the only emails of mine he responds to in less than a week.

My quest to spend as much money as possible continues!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

The top analyst requested a computer for home, the primary usage to be remoting into his Mac Pro here at work that's running Windows 8.1. He seems to understand that little horsepower is required since the Mac Pro is the computer doing the actual work. All the home machine needs to do is start the session.

So he asked for a 27" 5k iMac. At first he was ok with an i5 then he said "Well, just in case it should be as powerful as possible and like my Mac Pro it should boot to Windows. Just in case." He quickly optioned it up until it was over $3k. I sent the quote to the CEO who quickly approved it, like he does all requests for this analyst. They're the only emails of mine he responds to in less than a week.

My quest to spend as much money as possible continues!

Sounds like your analyst really needs an infrastructure overhaul of the entire company.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

His Mac Pro was originally quoted by Bill at something like $18k, just before I started this job. I reviewed the quote and got it down to $8k+ while still meeting the analyst's needs.

Knowing what I know now I would've let it slide right by, especially considering that the CEO had already approved that monster quote. :negative:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
We've had n issue with our software where certain office 2013 and 2016 updates break functionality in our product's email integration*. This has been happening since the beginning of June to our customers who host their own instances in house. In July it began showing up on our test servers for the cloud users; bug reports and work orders were filed in July with the cloud admins.

Over the weekend, they upgraded a bunch of our highest paying private server customers to Office 2013, and guess what started happening? Guess who's claiming they've never heard of the issue? :suicide:

*Well, everything still technically works, but it pops up an extra dialogue box that needs to be cleared every time you use that function, which is annoying on its own but for the grandmas and grandpas using our software is also mysterious and scary and unusable.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

So much accomplished. Installed some document cameras, imaged the computers, researched and filled out PO requisitions I've been putting off, replaced some faulty UPSes in the dorms, and finally got around to being able to look over some applications that have come in. All before lunch.

I never realized how much I keep getting pulled away from my duties by everyone else's issues

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

So much accomplished. Installed some document cameras, imaged the computers, researched and filled out PO requisitions I've been putting off, replaced some faulty UPSes in the dorms, and finally got around to being able to look over some applications that have come in. All before lunch.

I never realized how much I keep getting pulled away from my duties by everyone else's issues

This is why help desk exists in most places :v: constant interruption destroys productivity and kills your ability to prioritize or complete work.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

SEKCobra posted:

Actually, working on a general off day sounds great as long as you have no plans, it means more money as well as no one around to bother you.

My favorite thing about working 2nd-tier holidays in Boston was I always had a seat on the subway and all the pandhandlers downtown took the day off too.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

larchesdanrew posted:

Now document all of this and show your boss what happens when you have no interruptions. Then ask for a help desk monkey.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

"Look what happens when you don't micromanage everything I do"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Raerlynn posted:

Now document all of this and show your boss what happens when you have no interruptions. Then ask for a help desk monkey.

Boss: "Oh, then from here on out you'll come in on weekends so you can catch up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MJP posted:

Boss: "Oh, then from here on out you'll come in on weekends so you can catch up"

Larch: "Do you come in on weekends to work on anything? No? Then gently caress yourself"

• Locked thread