Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Down and out in Paris and London
Post Office
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
Siddhartha
Dune
Kafka on the Shore

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

macdonal hamborkles posted:

Post Office

All three are great books that I've read more than once.
In fact, the first one was recommended to me here.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Ulysses - I haven't actually re-read it yet but I'm including this because it's the only book I already wanted to re-read before I was done

Lord of the Rings - really benefits from reading before the Silmarillion and after

Something Wicked This Way Comes - it's a perfect example of a straightforward, plot driven story that still has JUST enough going on beneath the surface. I think it works read once in the early teens for that coming of age, once when you're a bit older when you have more perspective, and I get the feeling that it'll resonate really well in middle-old age, too

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Anybody read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72? I read it this summer to get into the spirit of the election and it was a horribly depressing account of how idealism failed in American politics and as a document of its time it demonstrates how American politics tended to follow the worst possible outcome

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Doctor J Off posted:

Anybody read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72? I read it this summer to get into the spirit of the election and it was a horribly depressing account of how idealism failed in American politics and as a document of its time it demonstrates how American politics tended to follow the worst possible outcome

Both my name and av come from that book. I always thought I would never see a US election that would turn out to be similarily interesting and depressing.

Then this election came along.

Ibogaine fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 10, 2016

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Doctor J Off posted:

I did. It's a great insight into the reason political mavericks often fail so spectacularly in US politics, at least in the last 100 years.
The notable exception here is Carter, perhaps.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
HST was quite impressed by Carter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SLeFZFTIco

I don't think he had liked any politician afterwards.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Honestly, the two books that I've found myself returning to the most times have been "The Lord of the Rings" and "Harry Potter". I've read them both multiple times because they are easy to get into, have lots of bonuses upon rereading, and have multiple layers that come about upon rereading.

I've read lots of other big serious books. And got something out of them. But if I were to take a relaxing summer vacation, and wanted to bring some reading with me, those would be them.

I might take Remembrance of Things Past if I was literally going up to a fire lookout for three months, though.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
1) T.S. Eliot - The Waste Land:

2) John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces

3) Hamlet

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
I can only think of The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky. I've reread it through the different stages in my life and it gets better every time. I find myself reflected in characters that had always been foreign to me before.

Could also list Blood Meridian as a book to go to for a gently caress Everything type of mood.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
The Bible
The Constitution
The Art of the Deal

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Ibogaine posted:

Both my name and av come from that book. I always thought I would never see a US election that would turn out to be similarily interesting and depressing.

Then this election came along.

Truth - and this following the terrible election of '68, in which a sitting president was ousted in the primary, the candidate leading in the primary was assassinated, a signature Moderate Businessman democrat took the nomination, and the police gassed and beat the protesters disillusioned with that choice. Thompson goes into some detail about all that, and how the two in sequence really ruined the democrats for a generation.

H.H posted:

I did. It's a great insight into the reason political mavericks often fail so spectacularly in US politics, at least in the last 100 years.
The notable exception here is Carter, perhaps.

Yeah, it goes into great detail about the backroom/convention deals that really kill the independent spirits, which is also how the republicans shook off Watergate like nothing while the democrats stumbled for 30 years.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Carter was a good guy who honestly tried. That also means he fundamentally had to betray the manipulators that got him the votes to get there, and that motion also leads to manipulators abandoning ship. These manipulators then have an exceptionally easy time marking you as Judas, or at least as a man without a cock. People don't like a complicated story that ends in ambiguity, so instead of people glorifying Carter we have a nation of loving simps sucking Reagan off and trying to mentally do this with every other guy on their team:

[bush with big forearms behind a podium political cartoon]

raton fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 10, 2016

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

H.H posted:

I didn't read the Exegesis but I'm guessing it's similar to VALIS. I liked VALIS, so I should probably read this as well.

How much of a mindfuck is it?
It reads sort of like a journal but it's not ordered chronologically. After he passed his friends just organized a bunch (not all, there were way too many) of the pages into categories and published them as is. A lot of similar ideas as the VALIS trilogy though. It might be good candidate for only 1 PKD book ever though if you're a fan or already read all his other stuff and want more.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Angelas Ashes - Frank McCourt
Slaughterhouse five - Kurt vonnegut
Night - Elie wiesel

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Doctor J Off posted:

Truth - and this following the terrible election of '68, in which a sitting president was ousted in the primary, the candidate leading in the primary was assassinated, a signature Moderate Businessman democrat took the nomination, and the police gassed and beat the protesters disillusioned with that choice. Thompson goes into some detail about all that, and how the two in sequence really ruined the democrats for a generation.

Yeah, it goes into great detail about the backroom/convention deals that really kill the independent spirits, which is also how the republicans shook off Watergate like nothing while the democrats stumbled for 30 years.

Rick Perlstein's "Nixonland" contains lots of insights into the elections of '68 and '72 (among other things). It's fascinating how HST and a lot of the left wing supporters of the Democratis actually played into Nixon's hands, who knew that beneath the apparent rebellious nature of the new generation, the majority of young people actually still clung to conservative virtues. By painting the opposition as spoiled no-gooders who were making whoopie on the back of hard-working god-fearing Americans, he was able to attract a large part of the population. The silent majority had until then been largely ignored by intellectuals and sociologists, and most of them were completely surprised by the turn to the right that the US took back then. Reading the optimistic articles from the period which pronounced a new age of enlightenment is a rather sobering and depressing experience.

tldr: Nixonland is a very good book and everybody should read it.

Ibogaine fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 10, 2016

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
The Stand, because I'm human garbage.

Moby Dick.

And probably The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Ibogaine posted:

Sounds interesting, thanx for the tip

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

shelley posted:

The Stand, because I'm human garbage.

I remember how much I enjoyed The Stand and how much its conclusion pissed me off. Somehow, my anger at the ending overshadows my previous enjoyment when I think about it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ibogaine posted:

I remember how much I enjoyed The Stand and how much its conclusion pissed me off. Somehow, my anger at the ending overshadows my previous enjoyment when I think about it.

I think this is like a secondary sign of something not being literature, which is kinda interesting

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Ibogaine posted:

I have a copy of that lying around here someplace. someone bought it for me a while back but i had no idea if it was good or not so never got to it. i reckon i'll give it a read

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

macdonal hamborkles posted:

Post Office

I just reread Down and Out so it'd be fresh before I leant it to a coworker. Great book, educational and super accessible. Not sure I could reread it forever, though. I do think Orwell wrote better nonfiction than fiction, despite 1984 and Animal Farm being stupendous.

I have two picks for now:
1. The Anatomy of Melancholy (possibly cheating because Burton cites so many other works)
2. The Golden Bough, which despite its reputation is quite readable and interesting, even if the thesis might be out dated.

Will have to chew on the third.

Mr. Bung
Mar 24, 2005

Get out the pink press threat file
and Um-brrrptzzap the subject.
Outer Dark - Cormac McCarthy
Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Lord of the Flies - William Golding

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Ibogaine posted:

it's actually really enjoyable if you tear out like the last half of the book and just assume the last people slowly died off without running into one another in the vast, unoccupied wastes

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Childhood's End
The Stranger
Perfume (although this one gets hard to read at times)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I don't re-read books very often because there are at least a hundred on my shelves I haven't gotten around to yet, but these are exceptions:

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

Grimhaven (and/ or Sideswipe) - Charles Willeford

United States - Gore Vidal

Gargantua and Pantagruel - Francois Rabelais

I've also read Candide a bunch of times. It's short, hilarious, and pretty much perfect. Same with The Epic of Gilgamesh, now that I think about it. And the Book of Ecclesiastes.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I don't re-read books very often because there are at least a hundred on my shelves I haven't gotten around to yet, but these are exceptions:

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

Grimhaven (and/ or Sideswipe) - Charles Willeford

United States - Gore Vidal

Gargantua and Pantagruel - Francois Rabelais

I've also read Candide a bunch of times. It's short, hilarious, and pretty much perfect. Same with The Epic of Gilgamesh, now that I think about it. And the Book of Ecclesiastes.

Sell me on Rabelais, that book's been on my shelf for ages but I've not cracked it open yet.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Shogun, and Vinge's A fire Upon the Deep and the Deepness in the Sky. He wrote a sequel years later, but it's trash.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Catch 22
The Yiddish Policeman's union
Some discworld book - maybe Night Watch or Small Gods.

They are are in that perfect re-reas comfort zone of 'easy to read, bit with enough meat to be worth re-reading '.

Catch-22 is the only one I would consider a truly great work of literature, but the books I end up re-reading aren't always the tough " important "ones. I've gone through Nueromancer a lot more often than Infinite Jest, for instance.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Slaughterhouse Five- Kurt Vonnegut

Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-Tung (well his earlier more focused treatises on guerrilla warfare were better but very applicable to life much like the art of war)

Buddha's Little Finger/Chapaev and Void- Victor Pelevin (need to get another copy)- cool novel I had to read for a class in college (about madness in culture), about this poet in revolutionary era Russia who meets the man who would become the famous civil war hero Vasily Chapaev. But every night he has nightmares that he's in a mental hospital in modern Russia and it sort of goes back and forth and gets pretty crazy.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
This will probably change every time I think about it but I'm in a nerd phase again

1. Good Omens
2. Altered Carbon
3. Perdido Street Station

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 10, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
The decameron was good, it's not got much of a plot it's just a frame for a bunch of relatively short and mostly funny or rude stories that remind you that people have p much always been the same

Life and fate was also awesome, the eastern front of world war 2 is really interesting and it's essentially a first hand account of life in the Soviet Union at the time. It's genuinely emotional too. Bonus censored by the Soviet Union during Grossman's life time and smuggled out to the west cred too

I'd probably pick something by Gogol too, maybe dead souls or some short stories

Or crime and punishment was quite good

Or long fellows translation of the divine comedy

IDK something renaissance or russian

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Xenomrph posted:

2001: A Space Odyssey, Jurassic Park, and maybe Rendezvous With Rama. I come back to those three every few years and consistently get something new out of them each time.

Rendezvous With Rama would be on my list if I hadn't made the mistake of reading the godawful sequels. I used to read it once every couple of years but now just thinking about it makes me queasy with horrid memories of eagle robots, robot spider rape, and anal beads.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

A Strange Aeon posted:

Sell me on Rabelais, that book's been on my shelf for ages but I've not cracked it open yet.

It is hilariously filthy, especially the second book. Panurge is a great character. I would definitely suggest the translation by M.A. Screech. Ditto for his translation of Montaigne's Essays.

I guess to sell it though, I'd say that if you enjoy any of the satirical work by Swift or Voltaire, you ought to dig it.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 10, 2016

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Kuato posted:

I've read Dostoevsky's Demons a few times and still don't get it, so that'd be one. Maybe Dune, because it's a solid book IMO. Schlesinger's RFK bio covers a lot of ground, so that'd be my third. :shrug:

I think the point of Demons is that atheism turns people into psychotic murderers. Anyway, about a week after I read Demons, I learned that there was a famous chapter, "Stavrogin's confession", that was censored when the book first released and was censored in the edition I read. I'm actually not surprised that that chapter was censored, because it sounds really hosed up. Apparently, they sell an entire book that is Stavrogin's Confession with long commentary by Virginia Woolfe and Sigmund Freud. And some people even claim that Stavrogin's confession is actually a (very exaggerated) version of some crazy poo poo Dostoevsky himself did, and is really Dostoevsky's own confession. It's crazy.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
the da vinci code
angels and demons
inferno

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
1. A choir of Ill children

2. Boomer Bible

3. The sparrow

Top shelf horror, satire, and science fiction. I've read these many times.

Descend to slumber
May 12, 2001

What is with all the love for Kafka on the Shore? I read some Murakami short stories and liked them, then I read KotS and pretty much stopped reading Murakami thereafter. What did I miss or fail to understand that made that book so good?

My 3:

The Adult short stories of Roald Dahl
These are all delightfully hosed up and weird and can be enjoyed multiple times. Even if rereading doesn't add much they remain amusing and grotesque, like the literary version of trash TV.

House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski
The typesetting makes the book in a lot of ways and it takes a long time to puzzle through the complex maze created by it, which of course mirrors the labyrinth that is the focus of the story.

Nostromo - Joseph Conrad
I have struggled with this one many times and failed to finish it, but I want to so badly. If I was going to be trapped on a desert island I would bring this book just so that I could drat well finish it!

Descend to slumber fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have to admit, a lot of Stephen King's stuff, mostly before the accident, is eminently re-readable.

• Locked thread