Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

the first time I died in my first souls game, barring the tutorial where demon's souls just straight kills you no matter what
Did you get killed by the demon or the dragon god punching you in the face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I don't get why you guys are so abrasive toward Manatee, yea Souls games are harder than average but they're not these insurmountable things, like do you guys just blindly dash everywhere? See 6 enemies and think, "I'm gonna go fight all of them"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Yea I don't get why you guys are so abrasive toward Manatee, yea Souls games are harder than average but they're not these insurmountable things, like do you guys just blindly dash everywhere? See 6 enemies and think, "I'm gonna go fight all of them"

Games like Assassin's Creed have conditioned people to think that you can take on entire armies at once. DS/BB are great intros to the opposite of that. Some people don't expect just how much different combat is in BB than other games. Some people like just mashing skulls with little effort and others like having to look a little deeper into combat to win.

They're abrasive because it was a weird humble brag and it is manatee

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you're right, the games play differently and that is probably why people have trouble with them. I think most people would be able to get through the early areas in any of them without dying if they took it slower. it's not about being good at the game, it's just that you shouldn't run in and aggro 12 dudes at once in bloodborne and expect it to be ok

Akuma posted:

Did you get killed by the demon or the dragon god punching you in the face?

vanguard killed me

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Lets all take a step back and just agree that Bloodborne's the best Souls game.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yoya posted:

its really bad outside of some robot designs and i cant even get into a multiplayer game on launch day. just sits at "waiting for more players"

ironically bad voice acting was funny when it flashed the anime translation ring in the opening but now i skip the cutscenes.

That's really disappointing, I was hoping that game wouldn't be a dud. :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kirios posted:

Lets all take a step back and just agree that Bloodborne's the best game.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bloodborne > Dark Souls > Demon's Souls > Dark Souls 3 > Dark Souls 2

Fight me

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm playing BB for the first time ever and I'm incredibly in love with the boss music.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kirios posted:

Fight me

Why would I fight you when I agree with you?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

I'm playing BB for the first time ever and I'm incredibly in love with the boss music.

Wait til you fight Rom :allears:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kirios posted:

Fight me

This except put Demon's Souls at the bottom.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Demon's Souls has a ton of problems, but the tower is the best area in the entire series and only BB came close to matching it atmosphere wise, so I think that alone puts it above a good amount of the series.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Kirios posted:

Fight me

I like this list. Don't 100% agree with it, but I respect it.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Demon's Souls has a ton of problems, but the tower is the best area in the entire series and only BB came close to matching it atmosphere wise, so I think that alone puts it above a good amount of the series.

Agreed. Demon's Souls was such a weird loving thing when it first came out. I have a soft spot for it.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Kirios posted:

Fight me

Pretty much same here. I go back and forth on BB and ds 1..

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kirios posted:

Fight me

Oh I'll fight you alright. Fight you because I'm pretty sure that's my list, mister. :colbert:

One thing I did notice they all have in common though is if you get kind of stuck, making a new character with a different stat focus does a world of good and helps you get out of a rut.

I think Bloodborne's the only one where the first one I made was the first one to finish the game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

Oh I'll fight you alright. Fight you because I'm pretty sure that's my list, mister. :colbert:

One thing I did notice they all have in common though is if you get kind of stuck, making a new character with a different stat focus does a world of good and helps you get out of a rut.

I think Bloodborne's the only one where the first one I made was the first one to finish the game.

I don't think I've ever restarted in a Souls game, even in Demon's Souls when my character was terrible. Probably should have but once I get through some parts I just don't wanna replay them

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kirios posted:

Fight me

Nah I largely agree. I like Dark Souls 2 better than 3, but 3 is probably the better game overall and on top of the issues I had, I wasn't enjoying 3 nearly as much because I was completely burned out on Souls at that point that I was largely bored playing it.

Demon's Souls has a lot of jank to it now but only Bloodborne ever came close to its atmosphere, I've got a lot of nostalgia for it as it was my first Souls game and it was the one I had the most fun doing PvP in too.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dark Souls and Bloodborne are acceptable top answers (but Bloodborne is the most acceptable)

All five are good games, but for me Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne really stand out as outstanding, Game of the Year contender level of games. There is a pretty noticeable drop off to the other three.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked Demon Souls better than Dark Souls. Mainly because I found Dark Souls to be kind of frustratingly vague and I didn't really like the open world interconnected world part.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Yoya posted:

its really bad outside of some robot designs and i cant even get into a multiplayer game on launch day. just sits at "waiting for more players"

ironically bad voice acting was funny when it flashed the anime translation ring in the opening but now i skip the cutscenes.

This x1000. Also janky as gently caress, sometimes your golf ball won't move after your swing, buildings are floaty when you "destroy" them (they usually don't actually blow up, but become unmoored from the ground and bounce around), and using the jetpack feels like you're under water.

A pretty aggressively not good game. Goodbye $20, I'll miss you.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Can someone link me the goon-endorsed 2TB HD?

Thanks in advance friends

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
This gets asked every what, ten, twenty pages? There's a 2TB Seagate laptop drive (Physical size has to be 2.5 inch, not 3.5 inch which is a standard full-sized PC hard drive) that always gets mentioned, I couldn't find a post recommending which exact one though. We should probably put it in the OP at this point, unless PSPRO is going to have a 2TB option.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 10, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Coldforge posted:

This x1000. Also janky as gently caress, sometimes your golf ball won't move after your swing, buildings are floaty when you "destroy" them (they usually don't actually blow up, but become unmoored from the ground and bounce around), and using the jetpack feels like you're under water.

A pretty aggressively not good game. Goodbye $20, I'll miss you.

No offense to anyone's brain cells, but this looked like a bad game (maybe a good internet joke at best) since day one.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Can someone link me the goon-endorsed 2TB HD?

Thanks in advance friends

I have seen some people recommend an external drive. I have also seen comments from people who remove drives from external enclosures and use that in the PS4.

Case in point is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/review/R79ES7QWZWYMO/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00FRHTSK4&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=541966&store=pc

I am using a 1TB hybrid drive, but need to go to 2 TB. I'm waiting to see what the options are for a PS4Pro before making a purchase.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I bought this one and it worked fine. Not sure if there's a directly sold by Amazon version though. Cuts out having to remove the drive from an external enclosure but costs a bit more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MPWYLHO/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

havenwaters posted:

I bought this one and it worked fine. Not sure if there's a directly sold by Amazon version though. Cuts out having to remove the drive from an external enclosure but costs a bit more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MPWYLHO/

Yeah, but it's 30 bucks more and there's tutorial videos of how to disassemble the external drive. Most people go that route.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah I disassembled the external drive and it took me about five minutes to do so.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah I disassembled the external drive and it took me about five minutes to do so.

Same, even with an external drive the whole progress took only a few minutes, minus the time I spent backing up and moving my files to the new one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If anyone care, Thumper is now up in the store.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I need to do this and transfer over PT. i wonder if PS4 Pro will have a transfer method.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Housh posted:

I need to do this and transfer over PT. i wonder if PS4 Pro will have a transfer method.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/transfer.html

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Housh posted:

You mean...in the OS?

There's a transfer feature as of the most recent update.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kirios posted:

Fight me

I'd put dark souls 3 in second place but otherwise right.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That's pretty sweet. Thanks!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Itshappening.gif

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Itshappening.gif

Ooh i guess I can get playroom Vr early to have it loaded, ya? Is that in the store or some kind of app update?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Feenix posted:

Ooh i guess I can get playroom Vr early to have it loaded, ya? Is that in the store or some kind of app update?

Store, PSVR PSN section just went live in North America.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

spooky like this! posted:

I liked Demon Souls better than Dark Souls. Mainly because I found Dark Souls to be kind of frustratingly vague and I didn't really like the open world interconnected world part.

Hell yeah top tier Demon's :respek:

Honestly, My favorite list is BB >= Demon's > Dark III >= Dark >>>> Dark II. There's just so many parts in Demon's that will probably just stick in my mind forever, they're so endlessly memorable, and the atmosphere is still tip top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Thumper is loving is intense as hell and I'm terrible at it. $20 still feels a little steep but still this game is :stare: as gently caress

• Locked thread