Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On a pure visual and audio standpoint, Thunderbolt is probably the best Gundam series I have ever watched and I will give it serious props for that. I rate it up high with 0080 and the original, though on opposite ends of the spectrum for their representations of warfare. 0080 is about how soldiers on both sides are still humans with dreams and desires, and the violence is used to punctuate how tragic the war is. You don't want Chris or Bernie to die, but the war demands one of them does, even if the death is ultimately meaningless.

Thunderbolt goes the opposite way and has contempt for everything and everyone onscreen. It's a much more cynical outing, and you are watching two selfish pricks implode and take everyone else with them. Like 0080 it has a distaste for Gundam's marketing to children, but rather than make you feel sad about the loss of life, it throws dozens of untrained, underage recruits into the grinder, then looks at the audience and says "enjoy it, you little shits."

It doesn't hold up with characterization as well as other series, but I feel that the animation makes up for it by defining the two protagonists so well through their actions. Shame about the supporting cast though. Cornelius, Carla and Claudia don't get much to do apart from being witnesses and victims to the atrocities committed.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

reminder of the best version of 0079

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Motto posted:

reminder of the best version of 0079

...Is that the Playstation game?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's War for Earth for PC, Mac, and PS1. also has the best Char

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Motto posted:

I don't know. I hear he betrayed John, and that guy's, like, my second favorite suicide team pilot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Motto posted:

I like Shaw, he is a Quattro.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Raxivace posted:

I think it is pretty easily the best work to come out of the Gundam franchise.

I'm the same. For me it does the best job of balancing the gundam message without diluting it with making you go "drat I love the giant robots fighting"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I've watched 4 episodes of war in the pocket and while it's clearly building to something big and good, for having spent an hour and a half watching it I can't say there was anything I really especially enjoyed.

I'm fully expecting to love it once I finish it, but I really can't help but feel like "it's kinda boring for like an hour and a half" is a nonnegligible criticism, and also one that is not shared by thunderbolt (which I'm pretty sure is in my top 3 most favorite animated works right now)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You'll never look at burger meat the same way again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

I've watched 4 episodes of war in the pocket and while it's clearly building to something big and good, for having spent an hour and a half watching it I can't say there was anything I really especially enjoyed.

I'm fully expecting to love it once I finish it, but I really can't help but feel like "it's kinda boring for like an hour and a half" is a nonnegligible criticism, and also one that is not shared by thunderbolt (which I'm pretty sure is in my top 3 most favorite animated works right now)

It's a slow burn character piece. You've hit the end of the first payoff with the kampfer's ugly end. There is still more though and yes, it does get better.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It doesn't get better if what you want and mainly care about is action and violence, It's a character drama through and through which is what sets it apart from the other gundam series.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A person whose favorite anime is Thunderbolt is not going to enjoy it, generally speaking.

The heart is Al and Bernie's familial interaction and growing care for each other in all those quiet scenes.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 10, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't only care about action and violence. But the other stuff I care about is mostly dramatic emotion, and war in the pocket has been pretty subdued on that as well.

I don't think what I've seen so far is bad, so much as it feels like 90% set up for later events. And, while I'm sure the payoff is very good, the wait being an hour and a half before getting to the good stuff is a substantial problem for me. There hasn't really been any conflict, violent or not, between any characters yet (though there's been an awful lot of foundation laid for future conflict) and there hasn't been any other kind of heavy emotional impacts either.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't only care about action and violence. But the other stuff I care about is mostly dramatic emotion, and war in the pocket has been pretty subdued on that as well.

I don't think what I've seen so far is bad, so much as it feels like 90% set up for later events. And, while I'm sure the payoff is very good, the wait being an hour and a half before getting to the good stuff is a substantial problem for me. There hasn't really been any conflict, violent or not, between any characters yet (though there's been an awful lot of foundation laid for future conflict) and there hasn't been any other kind of heavy emotional impacts either.

Yeah it's not really full of impactful and dramatic emotional conflict either, its a very subdued series.

That's what I mean by it being the near exact opposite of something like thunderbolt which is all intense emotion and action.

It has one dramatic scene of violence punctuating it in the finale, and that contrast is often all people remember which is why Hamburger LOL is so popular a catchphrase.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah it's not really full of impactful and dramatic emotional conflict either, its a very subdued series.

That's what I mean by it being the near exact opposite of something like thunderbolt which is all intense emotion and action.

It has one dramatic scene of violence punctuating it in the finale, and that contrast is often all people remember which is why Hamburger LOL is so popular a catchphrase.

Honestly, that's why it works so well, because the slow-burn nature of the series gets you worked up for the big dramatic confrontation at the end but by the time you hit it, you actively do not want it to happen even though it's a foregone conclusion at this point. 0080 is anything but subtle about its message in the end, but subtlety isn't always necessary for a story to be effective.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ninjewtsu posted:

War in the Pocket has some very tense moments - Al getting the police to their hideout, Al and Bernie sneaking around the Federation Base for example. It's not really about character conflict in the way you're looking for. Maybe the climax of episode 4 doesn't count as a heavy emotional impact, but it has some, right? I think you'll like the ending but if the first 3 episodes aren't hitting you as part of "the good stuff" then I think you're just not into subdued character pieces.

It's really hard to write it without making it sound like calling someone a pleb, but subdued character dramas for real aren't a thing that everyone will enjoy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When I was a kid I thought 0080 was boring and liked 0083, I was a dumb kid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REVHphYIQ2E
Anyone catch the new preview for Origin Part IV? They have gotten really good with their cel shaded CGI suits.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Why isn't there a show that is Better Off Ted but it's Anaheim Electronics?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is the origin show going through the entire series? I thought they were just doing the chars childhood but now I can't remember where I heard that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Is the origin show going through the entire series? I thought they were just doing the chars childhood but now I can't remember where I heard that.

It's been confirmed they're going to continue going on for as long as it's profitable and they're doing well, so yeah, probably.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
More Origin is gonna be good. I just hope it can live up to the Origin version of the Battle of Odessa. The color pages in that volume are incredible

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

At first I was against the idea of a full Origin adaptation since it just puts the franchise back into full 0079 nostalgia mode, but after reading the comic and seeing how good it is I can't really blame people for wanting the stuff outside of the flashback volumes animated. Yas really did some wonderful work.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
He totally did. It's awesome seeing stuff like the real char aznable animated. And yeah doing the rest of it is kind of retreading old ground but God drat it looks gorgeous.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Short interview with Yas, from Girl's Gundam (9/23/2009)

quote:

Amuro Ray, Who Might Have Been Japanese
Women have such a myriad of ways of enjoying a work. It’s truly commendable. Any time I try slipping things in to appeal to them specifically, it proves entirely unnecessary (laughs).

Gundam was a project where the character designs were settled on very easily. A big-eyed boy with curly hair who wasn’t cheerful or, frankly, especially handsome… in other words, an anime hero quite unlike the ones who had come before him. When Tomino, the director, approached me with this concept for the lead, I had already been imagining such a character. It was as if we had read each other’s minds, and Amuro’s design was quickly finalized.

Since Amuro wasn’t going to be handsome, we decided to make his adversary Char Aznable good-looking instead. This move was inspired by Sharkin of Raideen (a show Tomino and I had worked on previously) who had been well-received by female fans; through him I learned villains could also make a strong impression. But since being attractive by itself isn’t interesting, Char needed an individual element to distinguish. Thus, the mask to conceal his face. This had the added benefit of giving him an air of mystery! Call it haphazard or superficial of us (laughs).

As for Bright Noa, he’s nineteen but mentally much older. Role-wise, he’s the middle management type. So I gave him his hairstyle imagining he’d develop a widow’s peak in a few years (laughs).

The biggest factor behind us being able to design the cast so freely was the TV programming agency getting lax with their inspections. Normally they’d go over everything and make demands, like: The hero must be Japanese! He must be handsome and he must be cheerful! But with Gundam, they let it all pass. I had even thought up a backup setting for Amuro that changed the Ray in his name to Rei and listed his birthplace as being in the mountains of Shimane, but we didn’t up needing it (laughs). On the subject, the characters of Mirai Yashima and Hayato Kobayashi came from this hidden agenda of wanting to portray the Japanese in supporting instead of starring roles for a change. That’s also why they’re shorter and plumper, with smaller eyes (laughs).

Regarding the costumes, I tried to add some fun touches. I felt that the Federation uniforms would look unappealing if the colors were too military-like, so I went with a 19th century-esque, French Tricolore-inspired overall palette. In contrast, I gave the Zeon uniforms more traditional coloring, hoping to evoke the image of pre-war Germany; less Nazi, more Prussian. I wanted outfits that kids could cosplay by dressing up their school uniforms. I even hoped the really dedicated girls would do pair looks with their boyfriends (laughs). And sure enough, the cosplayers appeared. I remember ecstatically exclaiming: “Yes! There they are!”

quote:

A Work Becomes Appealing The More People Play With It
Looking back, Gundam came out during the transitional period when anime was moving away from the standard hero route of story-telling. So while it’s a military drama, there are still some unrealistic bits. Take Char’s cape, for example. I wanted him to wear one, but if it were too long, it would look cartoonish… so I made it waist-length. As for his helmet, those horns serve no purpose beyond being dangerous, but I figured an anime character requires some extra ornamentation (laughs). I troubled myself over these details a lot, and even taking the middle road, things got messy (laughs).

But there were people who had fun with such details via parody. I remember them calling Char’s cape ‘The Cockroach Mantle’ and remarking on how he looked ‘pretty adorable’ scurrying away from battle in it (laughs). Garma, the narcissist rich boy, got called cute and became far more popular with female fans than we anticipated. Even the freckled weakling Kai had admirers. As for Amuro, many girls said he was the kind of character they couldn’t leave alone, that they wanted to take care of him.

This was around the time light parody doujinshi culture, which included yaoi, was growing with women at the core. It was completely unlike the old-mannish parody works being made up until then. It was fresh, and took me by surprise. Some were angered by it, claiming it made a mockery of the source material, but I didn’t think so. It was brand-new culture. So while keeping in mind issues of copyright, be it parody, fangirling, yaoi or cosplay… I’d like to encourage everyone to continue enjoying Gundam in their own unique way.
http://khodazat.tumblr.com/post/151859727204/gundam-creators-interview-yoshikazu-yasuhiko-from

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kingtheninja posted:

He totally did. It's awesome seeing stuff like the real char aznable animated. And yeah doing the rest of it is kind of retreading old ground but God drat it looks gorgeous.

As somebody who hasn't read or watched Origin, could you fill me in on the Real Char Aznable? And we don't mean cool shades Quattro Char, which is debatably the realest? What's comparatively less real about Char in 0079/Movie trilogy?

Bonus: And is anime real?

edit: I just googled it and got a wiki page answering my question, I'm not interested in this take on it personally.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 16, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

As somebody who hasn't read or watched Origin, could you fill me in on the Real Char Aznable? And we don't mean cool shades Quattro Char, which is debatably the realest? What's comparatively less real about Char in 0079/Movie trilogy?

Bonus: And is anime real?

edit: I just googled it and got a wiki page answering my question, I'm not interested in this take on it personally.

You misunderstand. In the Origin version of the story Char Aznable was the real name of a person, who our Char murdered and assumed the identity of.

edit: whoops late

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Droyer posted:

You misunderstand. In the Origin version of the story Char Aznable was the real name of a person, who our Char murdered and assumed the identity of.

Yep I got that after looking at the wiki, I don't get why add stuff like that to the story though, my armchair reaction is it's hacky. But people seem to dig it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In The Origin, a young Casval befriends a young man on Texas Colony that looks a lot like him named...Char Aznable. They both decide to join Zeon's forces, though Casval finds out there's going to be an attempt on his life via a space shuttle "accidentally" exploding. Casval pulls a switcheroo and convinces Char to switch places with him (Char doesn't know about the assassination attempt though). Char is killed, but everyone thinks it is Casval that died.

Casval himself takes Char's identity, joins Zeon, becomes famous as the Red Comet and so on and so forth.

Edit: gently caress; beaten like three times faster over.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mad Men probably did it better. (spoilers for Mad Men folks)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Yep I got that after looking at the wiki, I don't get why add stuff like that to the story though, my armchair reaction is it's hacky. But people seem to dig it.

I haven't gotten to that point in the Origin manga, so it could be done really well for all I know, but my initial reaction is that it just feels kind of unnecessary.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It works in the manga, both as a reason for why the Zabis never pursued Casval any further and as a way to showcase how much of a sociopathic piece of poo poo Casval is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I always thought it was weird that the Zabis were just cool with Char and his Clark Kent getup in the original 1979 anime. The switch in The Origin sounds a little tackier on paper than how it actually plays out IMO.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I always thought it was weird that the Zabis were just cool with Char and his Clark Kent getup in the original 1979 anime. The switch in The Origin sounds a little tackier on paper than how it actually plays out IMO.

but it's on paper anyway?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raxivace posted:

At least in the anime, it feels a little awkward, but I put that down to the condensed nature of the OVA adaptation. Episode 2 is so far the weakest of the Origin episodes and I put a lot of that on the fact that Casval is almost entirely overlooked in favor of Artesia. The first episode balanced their character development pretty well, and the third episode is almost entirely on Casval, so they come out better.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

It works in the manga, both as a reason for why the Zabis never pursued Casval any further and as a way to showcase how much of a sociopathic piece of poo poo Casval is.

I thought in the manga it was more Casval thinking an assassination attempt was a distinct possibility rather than him being sure of it. Sticking his helmet up on a stick to check for snipers, metaphorically.

Just, you know. With more sending a supposed friend to his probable death.

I might be remembering wrong, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Casval/Char thing is a little forced but works well in context and feels pretty Tomino even if Tomino wasn't involved.

The area where I dislike The Origin's revisionism is in the "everyone meets at least once" sort of thing so Babby Amuro and Babby Sayla meet for no reason other than because they can. It's pretty minor overall though

chiasaur11 posted:

I thought in the manga it was more Casval thinking an assassination attempt was a distinct possibility rather than him being sure of it. Sticking his helmet up on a stick to check for snipers, metaphorically.

Just, you know. With more sending a supposed friend to his probable death.

I might be remembering wrong, though.

It's hinted strongly that Casval knew exactly what was going to happen and that his friendship with Char (if he had one) died the moment Char proved himself to be a loyal Zabi-Zeon soldier.

The Origin is really interested in focusing on the idea that Char can't help but use everyone around him.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't read the origin nor watched episode 3, but my take on it was basically "fake identities don't come out of nowhere, especially not when you're becoming an officer in the military" so it made sense to me that char aznable was an Actual Person that happened to look a lot like char, who casval murdered so he could walk around Looking Like Casval In The Zeon Military without getting shot

I also like the idea that casval wears a mask/shades at all times not only because it's crazy fashionable, but because Real Char had brown eyes and it'd be a dead giveaway if he didn't hide it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't like how Amuro doesn't build Haro, but it's the only thing I dislike from watching the Origin so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

but it's on paper anyway?
I mean conceptually.

Arcsquad12 posted:

At least in the anime, it feels a little awkward, but I put that down to the condensed nature of the OVA adaptation. Episode 2 is so far the weakest of the Origin episodes and I put a lot of that on the fact that Casval is almost entirely overlooked in favor of Artesia. The first episode balanced their character development pretty well, and the third episode is almost entirely on Casval, so they come out better.
I wonder if they'll come up with some new material for Artesia in the anime, since she kind of stays out of the limelight for a while.

ImpAtom posted:

The area where I dislike The Origin's revisionism is in the "everyone meets at least once" sort of thing so Babby Amuro and Babby Sayla meet for no reason other than because they can. It's pretty minor overall though
Yeah this kind of stuff is more annoying. The Mirai one isn't too bad though, but it probably should have stopped there.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 17, 2016