Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They don't have seals on their boxes

yeah i thought it was weird that my x-t2 didn't come in a sealed box but it all turned out fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I thought this was interesting - from the Fuji X message board:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm not one bit surprised amazon is cutting corners in a way that specifically fucks their suppliers.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm not one bit surprised amazon is cutting corners in a way that specifically fucks their suppliers.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have never found Amazon price competitive when I am shopping camera gears. Unless you are talking about used gear on Amazon warehouse and you stack a 10-15% promotion code during holiday.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I've only ever bought two really expensive things from Amazon, one being the XT-2 which came in a box that was heavily damaged (camera was fine though). The other time I bought an expensive vacuum cleaner and the first one I got the box was ripped open oddly and the vacuum had hair and stuff on it. They had no problem exchanging it but I definitely think they just put whatever you return straight back into the "new" pile. It is kinda crappy but on the plus side they will take back anything.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Is a successor to the X100T on the horizon? I'm about ready to ditch my aging Ricoh GR and jump onto the Fuji train for my compact camera needs (gonna stick with m4/3 for everything else).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wengy posted:

Is a successor to the X100T on the horizon? I'm about ready to ditch my aging Ricoh GR and jump onto the Fuji train for my compact camera needs (gonna stick with m4/3 for everything else).

Yes but probably early next year.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

alkanphel posted:

drat that sensor factory destroying earthquake! Oh well, I guess I'll be able to resist the call of the RX1R just fine (because it's very expensive, you see).

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

alkanphel posted:

That's not far way. Do you have any juicy specs theories?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Wengy posted:

drat that sensor factory destroying earthquake! Oh well, I guess I'll be able to resist the call of the RX1R just fine (because it's very expensive, you see).

Ricoh has also promised a GR series update recently. Probably next year.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fuji shooters, are you using Lightroom or something else?

I was doing some reading and saw a few people mentioning that Iridescent Developer, Capture One, fill in the the blank has better raw processing for x-trans raw files and I am wondering if anyone here could provide some input. My macbook Pro is much older than my pc so I don't do my heavy editing on it but I am tempted to try Iridescent.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Xabi posted:

That's not far way. Do you have any juicy specs theories?

Nothing much except it should have the same sensor as the X-Pro 2. But that was probably a logical conclusion.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I use C1, it seems to handle Fuji raw much better than LR as LR would basically poo poo the bed performance wise whenever I used it for them. Its a little effort to re-learn the layout and for some reason the auto-mask for local adjustments on Fuji raws doesn't work (!!!?) But otherwise it's great. No weirdness with sharpening either.

The only two things I really miss are the blacks/whites sliders in LR and the ability to easily find film sims/emulators etc for free.

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 9, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Quoting a conversation from not very long ago...

Schneider Heim posted:

Fuji question: Is it true that Fuji raws don't play well with Lightroom? Is it a gamebreaker or are there reasonable workarounds?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

More modern comparisons (this is from a week or so ago) support the argument that it's mostly FUD at this point.

http://www.aevansphoto.com/fujis-x-trans-sensor-sucks-part-3/
Just use whatever looks best to you. I like Lightroom but wasn't around for the days when its Fuji processing was supposedly awful. I end up using in camera processing more these days anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 9, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I used Capture One for a bit and it's considerably faster ingesting, processing, and exporting xtrans 3 files. I only stopped using it because I no longer wanted to pay for both it and LR+PS.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hmm. I guess I should check it out then - I am so used to lightroom, and I like to try to wok out of camera as much as I can as well but for large amounts of pictures I guess it would be worth learning another program if the results will really be better. Particularly the sharpening...I have read about "put detail to 100" in lightroom and read about/tried probably everything but I am still not satisfied with the sharpening I get from Lightroom.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
When you pixel peep Fuji raws in LR there is definitely something weird going on especially noticeable in grassy or leafy textures. it's almost like somebody uses a Photoshop filter to reduce noise and then over sharpened. But it's impossible to tell when viewing normally

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

BANME.sh posted:

When you pixel peep Fuji raws in LR there is definitely something weird going on especially noticeable in grassy or leafy textures. it's almost like somebody uses a Photoshop filter to reduce noise and then over sharpened. But it's impossible to tell when viewing normally
Frankly leafy green details like that don't look good when pixel peeped on any X-Trans camera. Even the camera JPEG output looks odd when you do this. Yes, it used to be particularly noticeable with Adobe, but updates to Camera RAW have seen largely nullified the issue. You could get slightly better with C1 or in-camera, but at this point, it's moot.

As said above, at this point it's FUD. Use the photo processing software you like.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 9, 2016

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I use Capture1 because I feel the exposure slider is much more realistic than the one from Adobe.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

windex posted:

Ricoh has also promised a GR series update recently. Probably next year.

I just shot the GR on a hike all day - still a great camera, but I missed an EVF. Ricoh really shat the bed with the GR II, they basically only gave it wifi and that was it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

I use Capture1 because I feel the exposure slider is much more realistic than the one from Adobe.

Capture one's highlight and shadow recovery sliders are also considerably better than LR.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Wengy posted:

I just shot the GR on a hike all day - still a great camera, but I missed an EVF. Ricoh really shat the bed with the GR II, they basically only gave it wifi and that was it.

I dunno about an EVF, but the most interesting thing I saw mentioned in a Japanese article the other week was that Ricoh is aware about the desire people have for weather resistance on GR.

So, I think we might see a marked improvement next time, new sensor + WR, at least. Keep in mind Ricoh has designed six of these things already.

I don't own a GR but I give them as gifts to people who want to get into photography because they handle everything from P for pro mode point and shoot to "I want to learn how manual exposure works" in one easy to throw in your bag camera, so I can use them well enough now to troubleshoot the menus being Pentax-y. WR would probably cause me to buy one for me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

windex posted:

I dunno about an EVF, but the most interesting thing I saw mentioned in a Japanese article the other week was that Ricoh is aware about the desire people have for weather resistance on GR.

So, I think we might see a marked improvement next time, new sensor + WR, at least. Keep in mind Ricoh has designed six of these things already.

I don't own a GR but I give them as gifts to people who want to get into photography because they handle everything from P for pro mode point and shoot to "I want to learn how manual exposure works" in one easy to throw in your bag camera, so I can use them well enough now to troubleshoot the menus being Pentax-y. WR would probably cause me to buy one for me.

I want to get into photography, please gift me a gr

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I know nothing about photography. I'm still learning about zoom v distortion

That being said, I've looked up the GR, and it seems like the camera I should have purchased vs Lumix G5. Please, also gift me a GR.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I am a bad, give me a gr

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

windex posted:

gently caress yeah, WR would be a godsend. If the next GR gets WR and the next x100 doesn't, that might clinch it for me, even though I'm really attracted to the X100-series' 35mm focal length and f2 speed.

I forgot to mention another thing that annoys me and needs fixing: while the RAWs are exceptionally good, sharp etc., they're sometimes not very malleable at all because a weird red banding will ruin them as soon as you lift the shadows even slightly. I never figured out what the issue was and why I was able to push the shadows on my E-M1 so much harder.

Also, gifting the GR to amateurs is a really brilliant idea; the only downside is that its JPEGs suck.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Wengy posted:

Also, gifting the GR to amateurs is a really brilliant idea; the only downside is that its JPEGs suck.

Eh, OOC JPEG is OK vs smartphone, but those 90 day creative cloud photography subscription gift cards only cost like $30 which is cheaper than a decent 16-32gb SD card as an add-on.

The main reason I like it as a fixed lens prime newbie camera is because it makes people think about composition without them knowing they're thinking about composition.

As far as the red banding goes, my general instruction to people is to shoot it monochrome only past ISO 1600. Will Nik Dfine 2 not clear the color banding? It does well enough in monochrome up until the highest setting, with the last decent quality setting being about 6400 and everything higher having some defects.

(Also all you assholes own cameras that aren't phones, buy your own GR II.)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Maybe not an evf, but it would be pretty sweet if the next GR had an optical viewfinder with AF confirmation, especially if it had a waist level viewport feature like the yashica t4 super D.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Anyone have experience with the fuji 16-55xf? I'm taking a couple trips next year and am considering a one lens zoom kit. Leaning toward WR since one of the trips will be on a motocycle. The camera will be stuffed in a saddle bag where dust seems to always find a way in when I'm gravel roading it out west. Also considering selling/trading the 16 1.4 to get it.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

windex posted:

Eh, OOC JPEG is OK vs smartphone, but those 90 day creative cloud photography subscription gift cards only cost like $30 which is cheaper than a decent 16-32gb SD card as an add-on.

The main reason I like it as a fixed lens prime newbie camera is because it makes people think about composition without them knowing they're thinking about composition.

As far as the red banding goes, my general instruction to people is to shoot it monochrome only past ISO 1600. Will Nik Dfine 2 not clear the color banding? It does well enough in monochrome up until the highest setting, with the last decent quality setting being about 6400 and everything higher having some defects.

(Also all you assholes own cameras that aren't phones, buy your own GR II.)

The banding can happen at base ISO when pushing the shadows even slightly (and I never go above ISO 1600 anyway). Pretty sure it's some kind of software issue; I sometimes deliberately overexpose to compensate for it, which means I end up with unsalvageable highlights more often than k should. Oh well, it only happens rarely.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wengy posted:

The banding can happen at base ISO when pushing the shadows even slightly (and I never go above ISO 1600 anyway). Pretty sure it's some kind of software issue; I sometimes deliberately overexpose to compensate for it, which means I end up with unsalvageable highlights more often than k should. Oh well, it only happens rarely.
Is this 1997?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Is this 1997?

GR II is literally a Nikon Coolpix A with DSLR level controls, Pentax menus, a magnesium body, and a better lens, so, yes

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Fuji/Lightroom noob question: every time I view a picture it seems Lightroom automatically adjusts it, often making it darker and crappier looking. I've gone through the options and it sure seems like none of the auto-processing options are selected - how can I make it leave the pictures alone by default unless I actually want to start messing with the Develop settings? It's especially annoying when I'm trying to go through and delete pictures, if its processing a picture it won't let me delete it until it finishes.

Also curious when the Iridient guy finishes the Windows RAW converter, what it will take to set that up in Lightroom, but I'm sure he will provide instructions when it's actually released.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Thats actually what the raw files look like. Previous to LR getting its hands on what you will be seeing is the embedded JPG in the RAF file which has a bunch of post applied to it by the camera.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
To put it more philosophically, I think you could argue that there is no "right way" for a RAW file to be displayed. There's so much drat information in there that your software has to come up with a reasonable interpretation as a starting point. Sometimes that starting point is more or less usable, or more or less similar to the way your camera's screen would choose to display it (or convert it to a jpeg).

Anecdotally, in my experience, Lightroom takes Sony RAWs and makes them look like a screenshot from a soupy green planet from No Man's Sky populated by jaundiced aliens by default, whereas Capture One gives you a starting point that looks really natural, and awfully close to Sony's in-camera jpeg conversions. I don't know anything about Fuji, though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Choicecut posted:

Anyone have experience with the fuji 16-55xf? I'm taking a couple trips next year and am considering a one lens zoom kit. Leaning toward WR since one of the trips will be on a motocycle. The camera will be stuffed in a saddle bag where dust seems to always find a way in when I'm gravel roading it out west. Also considering selling/trading the 16 1.4 to get it.

Make sure to handle it first. It's huge by Fuji standards:

XF 16-55, 655g, 129.5mm fully extended
XF 18-55, 310g, 97.9mm fully extended
XF 16 1.4, 375g, 73mm long

Edit: Also be mindful the 16mm is already WR...

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

bobfather posted:

Make sure to handle it first. It's huge by Fuji standards:

XF 16-55, 655g, 129.5mm fully extended
XF 18-55, 310g, 97.9mm fully extended
XF 16 1.4, 375g, 73mm long

Edit: Also be mindful the 16mm is already WR...

Not too concerned about size/weight and also know my 16 is WR. Traveling on the bike with primes is a pain, so was leaning toward the WR zoom option. Just curious to see if anyone has used it and what their thoughts on it were.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
I love my 16-55; it's definitely my go to lens. Despite having a good set of Fuji primes, I'd say it and the 50-140 make up 90% of my photos from the X-T1. It is large, and therefore a bit of a pain to handle (especially in low-light scenarios), but the sharpness and definition are awesome and the focal length is very flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
This is a terrible video entitled "‘Modern heritage’: the Hasselblad X1D-50c on location in Penang, shot by Ming Thein": https://vimeo.com/177792347