Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

quote:

INT. DARTH VADER'S COCKPIT

Darth Vader calmly adjusts his control stick as the stars
whip past in the window above his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0rwG39Jzk&t=444s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Phone posting so I can't be bothered to link to it, but there was a blog long ago that purported to be the journal of Vader. It redefined certain scenes to humanize Vader/Anakin; the one that sticks with me is Vader examining Luke's new lightsaber in ROTJ as "I always fidget with mechanical stuff when I'm anxious."

I guess I've retroactively applied that to Vader's constant adjusting the knobs on his TIE Fighter. He's trying to prevent the Death Star from being destroyed, this enemy fighter just won't stay still for one second, christ, his stress levels are high, and he's constantly changing the dials to make things 1% better.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

Phone posting so I can't be bothered to link to it, but there was a blog long ago that purported to be the journal of Vader. It redefined certain scenes to humanize Vader/Anakin; the one that sticks with me is Vader examining Luke's new lightsaber in ROTJ as "I always fidget with mechanical stuff when I'm anxious."

I guess I've retroactively applied that to Vader's constant adjusting the knobs on his TIE Fighter. He's trying to prevent the Death Star from being destroyed, this enemy fighter just won't stay still for one second, christ, his stress levels are high, and he's constantly changing the dials to make things 1% better.

Not to say you don't realize this, but just for the record you don't have to read fan fiction for that. It's in the movies:

Attack of the Clones posted:

INT TATOOINE, HOMESTEAD, GARAGE – DAY

PADMÉ comes in with a tray of food. ANAKIN is kneeling by the
speeder bike, using an electronic wrench to work on it.

ANAKIN
The shifter broke. Life seems so much simpler when you’re fixing
things.

PADMÉ puts the tray down

ANAKIN
(continuing)
I’m good at fixing things… always was. But I couldn’t…
(stops working, tears
in his eyes)
Why did she have to die? Why couldn’t I save her? I know I could
have!

PADMÉ
Sometimes there are things no one can fix. You’re not all-powerful,
Annie.

ANAKIN starts working with the wrench again.

ANAKIN
(angry)
I should be! Someday I will be… I will be the most powerful Jedi ever!
I promise you, I will even learn to stop people from dying.

When Anakin can't handle the messiness and unpredictability of the human world, he turns instead to the mechanical world, which is attractive to him because it gives him what he craves most: control. It's a key part of why he chooses to become Darth Vader.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Electromax posted:

If a Jedi falls from a high place, can he use the force to not die? I'm holding out hope that Ep. 8 opens with Luke revealing he's been chilling with Mace for 20 years on that island, talking with jedi ghosts and inventing new lightsaber colors.

Luke would not chill with Mace Windu.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

sassassin posted:

Luke would not chill with Mace Windu.

Maybe if Mace Windu had, himself, become chill.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
"I realized an important lesson that day, when your father chopped off my arm and I was lighting-zapped off a building taller than the Burj Khalifa . . I learned that I was living to work, not working to live"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cnut the Great posted:

Not to say you don't realize this, but just for the record you don't have to read fan fiction for that. It's in the movies:

When Anakin can't handle the messiness and unpredictability of the human world, he turns instead to the mechanical world, which is attractive to him because it gives him what he craves most: control. It's a key part of why he chooses to become Darth Vader.

I knew about that scene, but wasn't actively thinking about it.

It might be semantics, but I don't think Anakin was really about control specifically. I think it's exactly as it says: he has an ultimate desire to want to fix things when they go wrong. He's not evil to the core like Palpatine, who wants control/power for the sake of control/power. Anakin wants control/power because he's personally attuned to the fact that poo poo is hosed up, people are being hurt because of it, and the galaxy needs to be un-hosed asap. When he's trying to recruit Luke in ESB, it's all about Vader basically admitting that the Empire/Palpatine wasn't the un-fucker he thought he was, and Luke is powerful enough to get poo poo on the right track.

Anakin is the Paul Redeker of Star Wars. Behind the cold, dark, emotionless shell of Vader, there's a super-goddamned-sensitive dude underneath who was never taught how to deal with that.

It's not until the end of ROTJ that Anakin realizes his responsibility in poo poo being as hosed up as it is. He has to fix it by throwing Palpatine down the hole. Sure, he's going to die because of it, but this is one thing he can fix properly.

Bongo Bill posted:

Maybe if Mace Windu had, himself, become chill.

I'm of the opinion that none of the prequel Jedis would tolerate Luke. Luke grew up as a normal person, who knew how to do poo poo like "love and care about people" and "mourn people when they die", which would make him, in their eyes, a flawed Jedi.

That's the crux of it: Luke does the whole Jedi Thing a lot better than the folks who boiled down force-usage into a number. He gets good and pissed (I've always liked how Luke's final battle scheme isn't Noble Jedi against Vader, but Pissed Off Dude With A Lightsaber), but he's a functioning normal person who understands that getting mad about stuff is okay.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 11, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Jedi needed an "Everybody Poops" book but about feelings.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

I'm of the opinion that none of the prequel Jedis would tolerate Luke. Luke grew up as a normal person, who knew how to do poo poo like "love and care about people" and "mourn people when they die", which would make him, in their eyes, a flawed Jedi.

That's the crux of it: Luke does the whole Jedi Thing a lot better than the folks who boiled down force-usage into a number. He gets good and pissed (I've always liked how Luke's final battle scheme isn't Noble Jedi against Vader, but Pissed Off Dude With A Lightsaber), but he's a functioning normal person who understands that getting mad about stuff is okay.

Luke is waay too good of a jedi for someone like mace. Mace is the most attached selfish bastard in the whole council. Where as luke can confidently walk onto the death star ready to die and when confronted with hatred can let it go and can even let go of the things he loves .

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Mace learned his lesson and he's better now.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Since Star Wars is just WW2 Dogfights in space, he's probably just adjusting his gunsight/targeting computer. Which is why he loses compared to Luke, he doesn't use the force and relies on a machine.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Advanced_x1

quote:

An update of the TIE Advanced v1 prototype, the TIE Advanced x1 featured a highly sophisticated target tracking system, making them useful against deflector shield generators.

His knob was part of a newfangled system that let him do ... things via adjustments.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Elfgames posted:

Luke is waay too good of a jedi for someone like mace. Mace is the most attached selfish bastard in the whole council. Where as luke can confidently walk onto the death star ready to die and when confronted with hatred can let it go and can even let go of the things he loves .

He had one thing over Luke though: He actually made this Jedi poo poo look cool.

I love how during his duel with Palpatine he's just constantly doing this, "Here I am, here I am, come and get me, whoops, missed me.....motherfucker!" poo poo:

I wish I was good at making gifs.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Elfgames posted:

Mace is the most attached selfish bastard in the whole council.

What are you basing this on?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

He had one thing over Luke though: He actually made this Jedi poo poo look cool.

I love how during his duel with Palpatine he's just constantly doing this, "Here I am, here I am, come and get me, whoops, missed me.....motherfucker!" poo poo:

Pride comes before a fall.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

homullus posted:

Pride comes before a fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWSd1bgZiYo

It's like there's themes in these movies!

Also RIP Christopher Lee.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
RIP.

He will be honored in the atrium of his ancestral home in the great Roman tradition.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, Luke is basically Anakin done right. He was raised outside of the Jedi, so he's all about family and love, but unlike Anakin he was given long enough with them that he could complete his emotional development. His family was taken away from him like Anakin, but it was at an old enough age that he could cope with it, and he had a support structure of friends that could help him get through it. Anakin is a good counterpoint to the Jedi approach, but a bad approach himself; Luke takes the best of both, being neither overly attached or detached. Thesis, antithesis, synthesis if you will.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWSd1bgZiYo

It's like there's themes in these movies!

Also RIP Christopher Lee.

Yes, but really, I was making a joke about Mace's fall from the window.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

New poster, trailer hits tomorrow.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I require that poster.

Edit: Then again, I require most Star Wars posters.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 12, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

jivjov posted:

New poster, trailer hits tomorrow.
Hot drat. :eyepop:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What droid is that in the top right?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

What, behind that big round thing?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Please tell me I can buy it somewhere.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

What are you basing this on?

mace windu is the one to suggest the jedi seizing control of the republic, and when he's scared that he might lose the republic he goes against the jedi way and kills a defenseless palpatine.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Only tangentially related to the film in question, but what are some movies I should beeline for if I'm realizing I'm totally down for staring at Felicity Jones for a while?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Jewmanji posted:

CH0ZN-1

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI

New trailer is out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Consider me hyped as hell. Can someone please gif that quick sequence of X-Wings flying through a space station or whatever that was?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Those few shots of Vader are so goddamn good. Also the fact that Whitaker's character has prosthetic feet is really cool to me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've been sold on Rogue One since its announcement, and knew Vader was going to be in it, but gently caress me... that clip of Vader coming out of the steam walking towards Krennic (I think?) made me gasp abruptly and choke on air.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hyped as hell, except for the dull music.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Good trailer. Can't wait for Space Vietnam.

I want to see a Gladiator Star Destroyer enter canon though, show me one, even in the background pleaaase.

jivjov posted:

Consider me hyped as hell. Can someone please gif that quick sequence of X-Wings flying through a space station or whatever that was?

e: lovely imgur video to gif, someone can do it properly.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 13, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

I can't even

:neckbeard:

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

drunkill posted:

Good trailer. Can't wait for Space Vietnam.

I want to see a Gladiator Star Destroyer enter canon though, show me one, even in the background pleaaase.

e: lovely imgur video to gif, someone can do it properly.

A thousand thanks upon you and your family

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

This looks a hell of a lot more interesting than the prequels or TFA, and I say this as someone who loved the latter. It dawned on me while watching that this might be the first Star Wars with no lightsabers - something twelve year old me would obsess and lament over for "breaking trend", but quite honestly nowadays I'm glad. Break that mold or we're just gonna keep getting the same three movies over and over until we're all dead (and it'll continue after that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Hyped as hell, except for the dull music.

If it weren't for the iconic Ben Burtt sound effects I would have thought I was watching an AssCreed trailer. The music was bad.

• Locked thread