Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Nosawa is the greatest money mark of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
AJPW's Sumo Hall show is airing live on 11/27. Suwama vs. Kento Miyahara for the Triple Crown is the only sure-thing match right now, but Zeus/Bodyguard vs. Yuji Okabayashi/Daisuke Sekimoto for the tag titles also looks likely. Jun Akiyama vs. Keiji Mutoh is much-speculated since there's something of an interpromotional angle going on right now but it's far from a sure thing. I have no clue what the hell the rest of the card will look like.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Spermgod posted:

Zeus/Bodyguard vs. Yuji Okabayashi/Daisuke Sekimoto
Whose Roids Reign Supreme?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Ditch posted:

Whose Roids Reign Supreme?

If all four of them slam into each other at once, i bet it would cause a black hole

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
https://twitter.com/sekimotodaisuke/status/651793615086219264

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Who's under the mask?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Nobody knows since it's not Tatsuhito Takaiwa.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I absolutely believe that Daisuke could dead-lift a semi truck if he wanted to.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

According to Dave Meltzer, there's going to be a Mil Mascaras vs. NOSAWA match headlining Korakuen Hall next month for a title Mil's held since 1975. Hope that spectacle makes TV.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

nosawa is the industry's greatest money mark

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Hey Ditch thanks for keeping the video sites alive all these years. I decided that now was the time I wanted to watch more of the AJPW stuff I never got around to and I was glad the old bookmarks were still there. Just getting to 91 tonight.

Also I've been taking a screencap from each match and adding it to this Twitter thread https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/775821408903520259

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Roman Reigns is actually good.

edit: Wrong thread

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
dat fukken dropkick :allears:

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
So the following title matches are confirmed for the AJPW Sumo Hall show:

Triple Crown: Kento Miyahara (c) vs. Suwama
World Tag Titles: Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi (c) vs. Zeus & Bodyguard
All Asia Tag Titles: Atsushi Aoki & Hikaru Sato (c) vs. Masanobu Fuchi & Atsushi Onita (yes really)

All but confirmed:

GAORA TV Title: Yohei Nakajima (c) vs. Jiro "Ikemen" Kuroshio

Speculation based on past events and future bookings:

Junior Title: Soma Takao vs. Keisuke Ishii

Interested to see what they have for the young boys, Akiyama and Ryoji Sai to do.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I wonder when was the last time Onita was in a match that wasn't a deathmatch? Seems like it's the first one in a long time. Also, that really does make me think about how much better Onita has aged (tho tbf to Fuchi a lot of that's probably hair and more concealing gear).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

I wonder when was the last time Onita was in a match that wasn't a deathmatch? Seems like it's the first one in a long time. Also, that really does make me think about how much better Onita has aged (tho tbf to Fuchi a lot of that's probably hair and more concealing gear).

I remember him doing some stuff with NJPW at one point, like feuding with Muta as "The Great Nita" and teaming with Chono (complete with Masa referring to Onita as"Mr.Puroresu"). I think that was the early 2000's?

Edit: Apparently my memory sucks and the Great Nita stuff was in '96?!?!?! Huh.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 15, 2016

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

Looks like a moot point....

https://twitter.com/STRIGGA/status/788015593463111680

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
AJPW Sumo Hall update:

Confirmed:
Triple Crown: Kento Miyahara (c) vs. Suwama
World Tag Titles: Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi (c) vs. Zeus & Bodyguard
All Asia Tag Titles: Atsushi Aoki & Hikaru Sato (c) vs. Masanobu Fuchi & Atsushi Onita (yes really)
Takao Omori & Manabu Soya vs. Jun Akiyama & Kendo Kashin

100% happening but not 'officially confirmed' yet:
GAORA TV Title: Yohei Nakajima (c) vs. Jiro "Ikemen" Kuroshio
Junior Title: Soma Takao vs. Keisuke Ishii

Speculative predictions:
Jake Lee vs. Super Tiger
Naoya Nomura & Yuma Aoyagi vs. Koji Doi & Kumagoro
A couple of multiman tags to get everyone else on the card, probably.

Interested to see how this does. Most seem to think beating the 3000-something BJW did is a good goal for where they are as a company right now, and while I agree, I wonder if they aren't going to get a bump just for the "AJPW in Ryogoku" factor. The AJPW name already sees them get better coverage than they really deserve compared to other promotions of their size. They're not going to come close to even a low NJPW-ish number, but part of me thinks mid 4000s to low 5000s isn't entirely out of the question, even if most people would perhaps rightly tell me I'm crazy.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 20, 2016

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Dragon Gate, DDT, and BJW all feel pretty broad niches but what does AJPW have that NJPW doesn't

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think broad niche is an oxymoron

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
AJPW's defining trait was King's Road style for a long time, though I haven't seen a show in quite a while so I don't know if that still applies.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Super No Vacancy posted:

I think broad niche is an oxymoron

I think you're the regular kind.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

RealFoxy posted:

Dragon Gate, DDT, and BJW all feel pretty broad niches but what does AJPW have that NJPW doesn't

it's closer to a traditional japanese heavyweight promotion and less sports entertainment. tag wrestling matters a lot more. the booking is kinda 90s Baba-ish with the strict sense of hierarchy and slow ascents up the card. lots of things.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 21, 2016

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

it's closer to a traditional japanese heavyweight promotion and less sports entertainment. tag wrestling matters a lot more. the booking is kinda 90s Baba-ish with the strict sense of hierarchy and slow ascents up the card. lots of things.

I'm obviously much higher on current NJPW than you, but I agree the lack of tiresome and predictable ref bumps and interference spots in big matches is refreshing. Another cool aspect of current AJPW is the cobbled together super indie vibe they have. There's a limit to how much I can keep up on the indie scene so it's nice to see a lot of guys from other promotionss pop up, and Strong BJ is of course a great addition to any company's roster.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 21, 2016

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Stylistic preferences aside, NJPW is still a hundred times better at being the best possible NJPW than AJPW is at being the best possible AJPW. The smaller number of contracted/exclusive guys restricts the booking and makes the roster feel less special. With the stability Akiyama has brought, though, I think if they don't do anything stupid they'll get there in about 5 years. Their business has been really interesting to follow this year as far as 'how do you rebuild a company from absolute rock bottom.'

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

heard some chatter NOSAWA might pop back up in AJPW, anyone else hear anything about this?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

coconono posted:

heard some chatter NOSAWA might pop back up in AJPW, anyone else hear anything about this?

He worked a show as Black Tiger VII as a substitute for the injured Black Tiger V (nobody knows who that is since it isn't Tatsuhito Takaiwa nor Koji Kanemoto). Whether he shows up there regularly is anyone's guess.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Today AJPW officially confirmed the GAORA and Junior title matches for Sumo Hall and added two more matches to the show:

SUSHI/Tsuyoshi Kikuchi/Masao Inoue vs. Kaji Tomato/Kazuhiro Tamura/Naoshi Sano (😴😴😴)
Dory Funk Jr./Chavo Guerrero Sr./Ultimo Dragon/TAJIRI vs. The Great Kabuki/Osamu Nishimura/Yutaka Yoshie/Isami Kodaka (lol)

They have a 5 hour live TV slot to fill so I guess you're gonna get stuff like this.

They also announced that Ryoji Sai, Kengo Mashimo, Konosuke Takeshita and Koji Iwamoto will be on the show.

And they announced the 2016 Tag League participants:

Block A
Kento Miyahara & Jake Lee
Suwama & Atsushi Aoki
Ryoji Sai & Rikiya Fudo
Kengo Mashimo & Tank Nagai
Osamu Nishimura & Yutaka Yoshie
Mitsuya Nagai & Black Tiger VII

Block B
Jun Akiyama & "Mysterious Partner"
Zeus & Bodyguard
Takao Omori & Manabu Soya
Naoya Nomura & Yuma Aoyagi
Super Tiger & Hikaru Sato
Koji Doi & Kumagoro

...which is a pretty great field. That they went from a single block of 7 teams last year to two blocks of 6 this year says something about how they're doing now compared to then, I guess.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A bit surprised to see Kikuchi still kicking around.

I wonder if the partner for Akiyama is Muta.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Spermgod posted:

Today AJPW officially confirmed the GAORA and Junior title matches for Sumo Hall and added two more matches to the show:

SUSHI/Tsuyoshi Kikuchi/Masao Inoue vs. Kaji Tomato/Kazuhiro Tamura/Naoshi Sano (😴😴😴)
Dory Funk Jr./Chavo Guerrero Sr./Ultimo Dragon/TAJIRI vs. The Great Kabuki/Osamu Nishimura/Yutaka Yoshie/Isami Kodaka (lol)

They have a 5 hour live TV slot to fill so I guess you're gonna get stuff like this.

They also announced that Ryoji Sai, Kengo Mashimo, Konosuke Takeshita and Koji Iwamoto will be on the show.

And they announced the 2016 Tag League participants:

Block A
Kento Miyahara & Jake Lee
Suwama & Atsushi Aoki
Ryoji Sai & Rikiya Fudo
Kengo Mashimo & Tank Nagai
Osamu Nishimura & Yutaka Yoshie
Mitsuya Nagai & Black Tiger VII

Block B
Jun Akiyama & "Mysterious Partner"
Zeus & Bodyguard
Takao Omori & Manabu Soya
Naoya Nomura & Yuma Aoyagi
Super Tiger & Hikaru Sato
Koji Doi & Kumagoro

...which is a pretty great field. That they went from a single block of 7 teams last year to two blocks of 6 this year says something about how they're doing now compared to then, I guess.

That old man tag match sounds amazing

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

http://ddtuniverse.com/

DDT's starting a streaming service in January at 900¥ a month. The subbrands (BASARA, Ganbare, DNA, and Tokyo-Joshi Pro) are also included. It's presumably going to be available internationally as they have some rudimentary info including pricing on the site. According to @peskyyy and @jojo_runs major shows such as the Korakuen and Ryogoku cards will be available live.

Honestly have mixed feelings for purely selfish reasons. Great for the DDT diehards but as a more casual fan I'm not sure if I'm going to want to invest the money for this outside of a couple key months.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ddt was a dark horse for wwe's big streaming competitor but itll be cool if they buy up the pwg library

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Doubt I would pay for DDT on a monthly basis, but getting it for 1-2 months and then gorging myself on as many Campground and PowerPoint matches as possible would still be an interesting idea.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If DDT Universe had a subsection that let me see every Ironman Heavymetalweight Title change I would have a very difficult decision to make.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
ddt has actual straight-up wrestling too ya know

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Spermgod posted:

I'm aware of that and do like DDT's normal stuff, but it's a lot easier to find normal DDT stuff than 'ok I'm thinking of a specific Ironman Heavymetalweight Title change is this the match...dangit!'

Or at least it is for me.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Spermgod posted:

I hope this gets HARASHIMA more widespread attention because he is a good wrestleman.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Plus they'd have lots of Ibushi and Omega footage, plus Peter Pan Ryugoku shows every year.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

As a very poor person who is a frequent RealHero Archives person I'm very sad but maybe this will get people to watch more DDT so there's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I just moved, and our new cable has AXS TV, which has New Japan Pro Wrestling, called by JR and Josh Barnett.

I haven't been interested in TNA/WWE in a long time, so this definitely scratches a big itch for me.

My only gripe is that the matches on TV are from 8 months ago. :\