Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Unnamed One posted:

In Brazilian news, as was expected, progressive candidates got loving slaughtered in mayoral races around the country.

Special props to São Paulo for electing the Brazilian Trump in the first round.

(Not even joking, he hosted our version of The Apprentice - altough he was second one to do it, so maybe he's the Martha Stewart of this analogy)

... Man, this loving city deserves to die of thirst, with lovely public transportation, despised by everyone else around it.

E: Though actual props to Rio for putting Freixo in the second round. The evangelical base means he's probably hosed, but good on him for even making it.

The guy I voted for got 18k votes and ended up at fifth place and now our two options are a police fascist gently caress and the current mayor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Porto Alegre is FUBAR and I was kinda expecting it, but gently caress me, what the hell is wrong with people in São Paulo?

There's no loving hope in this world, man

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Negrostrike posted:

Porto Alegre is FUBAR and I was kinda expecting it, but gently caress me, what the hell is wrong with people in São Paulo?

Haddad was probably the best mayor in decades for this loving city, but him being a PT candidate and a dude who actually did major - needed, for the most part - structural changes in the the way São Paulo works pissed a lot of old, lovely people off.

He was hardly perfect, and did his fair share of dumb poo poo, but deserved a lot better than this.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Who votes 'no' to the end of a 50 year war? The most disappointing news I've seen in a good long while

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Miruvor posted:

Who votes 'no' to the end of a 50 year war? The most disappointing news I've seen in a good long while

Fascists basically

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Miruvor posted:

From what I've read, it got hijacked into becoming a referendum on Santos/establishment, much like the Brexit vote was. 2016 has been a lovely lovely year for democracy, and we've still got some months to go.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Negrostrike posted:

I'm just surprised Melo didn't run with it and Marchezan not only made it to second round but also LED the first one. Also I have no idea who people that voted for Genro and Pont will vote for this second round. Maybe we can get null votes to beat both candidates!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Of all the major cities, Belo Horizonte probably had the worst outcome. Runoff between an Aecio stooge and Alexandre "vote for me because I won the Libertadores" Kalil. On top of that, PTN and PHS are the largest parties in the city council.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Miruvor posted:

Not surprisingly, people who aren't affected by it.

https://twitter.com/sallyhayd/status/782715583129411584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Who the gently caress puts something as important as a peace accord up to popular vote?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Dias posted:

I'm just surprised Melo didn't run with it and Marchezan not only made it to second round but also LED the first one. Also I have no idea who people that voted for Genro and Pont will vote for this second round. Maybe we can get null votes to beat both candidates!

People in this town are too loving dumb for this to work. I'll just drop my shorts and cut monkey tail over the booth.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Miruvor posted:

A combination of people who want military victory rather than peace, and people who (mistakenly) believe that voting 'no' is some kind of negotiating tactic to get a deal more to their liking.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Who the gently caress puts something as important as a peace accord up to popular vote?

Santos was trying to make it binding on whoever came after him. Given his own unpopularity that could very well be someone opposed to peace. It makes sense in a way.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

A combination of people who want military victory rather than peace, and people who (mistakenly) believe that voting 'no' is some kind of negotiating tactic to get a deal more to their liking.

When voters become alienated from political leadership, voting against the government regardless of issue becomes itself a form of protest. How very Roman of you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I saw a site headline crowing that the MBL (Movimento Brasil Livre) elected 7 city councilors and a mayor of a loving backhole in Minas. Who gives a poo poo about that?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
libertarians

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
So, what were the terms of this peace? would the FARC leaders come out clean out of this after decades of committing murder, rape, drug dealing, kidnapping of kids and other awful poo poo? If that's the case, I could understand why some people would vote NO.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

El Chingon posted:

So, what were the terms of this peace? would the FARC leaders come out clean out of this after decades of committing murder, rape, drug dealing, kidnapping of kids and other awful poo poo? If that's the case, I could understand why some people would vote NO.

Everyone was committig murder, rape, drug running, kidnapping, and other awful poo poo for decades. Everyone was acknowledging their own fault, and nobody was going to be prosecuted if it meant an immediate end to the war. Voting "no" has more to do with the desire to continue profiting from indefinite guerilla warfare, and to keep rural interests completely disenfranchised from politics. Any claim of principle in the interests of justice is horseshit, and anybody who believes in it is a dumbass.

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/783101463434256384

Human Rights Watch is garbage.

Pener Kropoopkin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 4, 2016

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Indeed
https://www.thenation.com/article/did-human-rights-watch-sabotage-colombias-peace-agreement/

quote:

“No” won because the right wing, led by former President Álvaro Uribe, was able to turn a vote that was supposed to be on peace into a vote on the FARC. The geographic breakdown of the referendum indicates that “no” won in areas where Uribe and his political party have their support. Take a look especially at the department of Antioquia, where Uribe got his political start as a champion of paramilitary death squads. Sixty-two percent of Antioquia’s voters cast “no.” In the department’s capital, Medellín, a city that has been sold in the United States as a neoliberal success story—Modern! Urbane! Fun! Come visit!—63 percent of voters said “no” (for Medellín’s neoliberal “makeover,” see this essay by Forrest Hylton).

Uribe served as president from 2002 to 2010. He is best thought of as a Colombian Andrew Jackson, riding to the top office of his country on the wings of mass murder, rural ressentiment, and financial speculation. As an ex-president, he has been toxic, doing everything he could to keep the war going.

The Colombian elite, especially the retrograde sector Uribe represents, has much to lose with peace: The end of fighting would create a space in which the country’s many social conflicts—having to do with land, labor, and resource extraction—could be dealt with on their own terms, rather than distorted through counterinsurgent politics. And peace would be costly for some sectors, especially for all those Colombians in the “security” business who for years have fed off the Plan Colombia trough.
The campaign to keep Colombia’s war going had an unlikely ally: Human Rights Watch. José Miguel Vivanco, the head of HRW’s Americas Watch division, emerged as an unexpected player in Colombian politics when he came out strongly against the “justice” provisions of the peace agreement. Vivanco agreed with Uribe by offering the most dire reading of the agreement possible, saying that perpetrators—in the FARC and the military—of human-rights violations would receive immunity. Vivanco was all over the press in Colombia, with his comments used to build opposition to the accords. Once it became clear that he was lining up too closely with Uribe, he staged a mock public dispute with the former para-president, even while continuing to basically support Uribe’s position (h/t Alejandro Velasco).

Vivanco has tried to fudge his position with a false “even-handedness,” complaining that the accord let both the FARC and the military off the hook. But as the always insightful and usually temperate Adam Isacson, from the Washington Office on Latin America, described Vivanco’s bizarre proxy campaign on behalf of Uribe: “not everyone in Colombia is reading Human Rights Watch’s detailed ten-page analysis. What they hear are the large quotes like ‘piñata de impunidad’…or “checkmate against justice’ and believing as a result that Human Rights Watch opposes the entire process. It is a question more of tone, of supportiveness, and of urging creativity at a very key moment.” “Blows like this”—that is, Vivanco’s extremely dire analysis of a necessarily vague political agreement—“can do real damage.” They did.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Colombia:
220,000 dead since '58 - 12% murdered by FARC, 88% murdered by the paramilitaries and the government.

5.7 million refugees.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/25/colombia-conflict-death-toll-commission

that is why comparing this to loving brexit is shameful. Voting against the peace is beyond belief.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
The numbers kinda suggested that the "Yes" got hosed by a really really low voter turnout?

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Putting stuff like this up to a referendum is incredibly stupid. It undermines any possible criticism because DEMOCRACY, while also being a huge waste of resources.

I mean, we elect representative governments for a reason, guys. Hope Colombia can move past this.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

The numbers kinda suggested that the "Yes" got hosed by a really really low voter turnout?

There was about a 20% of people who usually vote who didn't turn out for the referendum, so it may be this. However, given how ridiculous the campaign became it may not necessarily be significant

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Actually that seems to be exactly what is happening.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Juan Manuel Santos awarded Nobel Peace Prize.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I really want to know if they made that decision this week or last.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I saw that and lol'd in my office this morning. I mean the Nobel Peace Prize is already the laughing stock of the Nobel prizes, but it's almost like they're trying to turn it into a parody. I can only assume that Assad and Putin will share the Nobel Peace Prize a few years down the road once the fighting in Syria has completely burned out.

E: Skimming through the list of laureates, drat. Half of these are actually great accomplishments, the other half are a tasteless mockery of the theoretical ideals of the mission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_Peace_Prize_laureates

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 7, 2016

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

I really want to know if they made that decision this week or last.

Norwegian dude 1: "Wait guys the deal has to be ratified by referendum!"

Norwegian dude 2: "Come on man, they can't be that stupid."

:CryingBolivar:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Saladman posted:

I saw that and lol'd in my office this morning. I mean the Nobel Peace Prize is already the laughing stock of the Nobel prizes, but it's almost like they're trying to turn it into a parody. I can only assume that Assad and Putin will share the Nobel Peace Prize a few years down the road once the fighting in Syria has completely burned out.

E: Skimming through the list of laureates, drat. Half of these are actually great accomplishments, the other half are a tasteless mockery of the theoretical ideals of the mission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_Peace_Prize_laureates

putin was a strong candidate back when the chemical weapons deal in syria happened. this is especially funny because they didn't give it to timochenko

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Everyone was committig murder, rape, drug running, kidnapping, and other awful poo poo for decades. Everyone was acknowledging their own fault, and nobody was going to be prosecuted if it meant an immediate end to the war. Voting "no" has more to do with the desire to continue profiting from indefinite guerilla warfare, and to keep rural interests completely disenfranchised from politics. Any claim of principle in the interests of justice is horseshit, and anybody who believes in it is a dumbass.

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/783101463434256384

Chapo Trap House has an ep out on this and the weaponization of human rights in general

https://m.soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-48-a-problem-from-heck-feat-chmadar-10916

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In loving depressing news, congress in Brazil has approved a constitutional amendment that freezes public spending for the next 20 years and ties it to inflation. In a naked electoral maneuver, they made a concession that spending on education and healthcare will only be frozen after 2018, the next presidential election.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

joepinetree posted:

In loving depressing news, congress in Brazil

ftfy

I can't even be bothered anymore.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

joepinetree posted:

In loving depressing news, congress in Brazil has approved a constitutional amendment that freezes public spending for the next 20 years and ties it to inflation.

Not only is this terrible public policy, but how are they going to hand out bribes now?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

joepinetree posted:

In loving depressing news, congress in Brazil has approved a constitutional amendment that freezes public spending for the next 20 years and ties it to inflation. In a naked electoral maneuver, they made a concession that spending on education and healthcare will only be frozen after 2018, the next presidential election.
Haha, what? Really? Like an actual constitutional amendment? How many votes did that need?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

Not only is this terrible public policy, but how are they going to hand out bribes now?

Infrastructure is not part of the PEC, I believe, and that's where you get the most graft, easily.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

R. Mute posted:

Haha, what? Really? Like an actual constitutional amendment? How many votes did that need?

Yep, yep, it still has three more votes to go thru but it already got the necessary majority on Congress for the second one and Senate votes similarly.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Jesus Christ 366 vs 111 votes. RIP Brazil. Very RIP.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Who voted against besides the PT?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

And obviously nobody's gonna bang on their pans because gently caress EVERY SINGLE ONE WHO LIVES IN THIS loving COUNTRY.

We're too loving stupid. That's what we deserve and that's what we're getting. Parabéns, povo brasileiro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Brazilian constitutions are basically toilet paper, we had several and never has one been thoroughly applied. It's ridiculous because any loving thing can be a constitutional amendment, it's basically the same process for passing a law but a bit harder to pass and way harder to overturn than regular laws, that'd be a nice constitutional safeguard if you ignore the fact that about half of the brazilian congress will always vote for whomever pays most at the moment.