Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Groogy posted:

If you save the ironman save locally, that is all you gotta do.

Thanks, I have a Gotland game going that I'd hate to lose.

e: Holy crap I love you guys, I've wanted this option for quite literally years:

quote:

As well as the Converter, we'll also release the full version of 2.6.2 tomorrow. We managed to fix the performance problem we had during the beta, fix a few minor bugs, correct the province name box length update some French and German localisation, and add a popup and pause setting to Call to Arms. We'll post the complete patch notes tomorrow when the patch goes live.

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I've been conquering the world with tanks in HOI IV and I'm going to try out the other Paradox games and CK2 is one of the few I have already. I played a couple of hours of it already but I didn't know what was going on and literally got a load of troops lost somewhere. Anyone got a decent startup guide, or know of one?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Not long ago I updated from the Horse Lords game version to the latest and my save seems to have survived OK.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Speaking of Horse Lords, here's our favorite event acting strangely again...

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
What's wrong with it? As the one who added horse culture to the game, this is WAD.

What? I don't kink shame.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Rumda posted:

Modern CK2+ is a weird goblin squatting in the skin of what was once necessary and good.

ActuLly it's good and cool

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rumda posted:

Modern CK2+ is a weird goblin squatting in the skin of what was once necessary and good.

It was for a while, it's much better now.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I decided to just jump in as poland. I notice I've got all these heretics adjacent to me with kingdoms that could be paying honest god-fearing taxes if I invaded them. Can I do that, somehow?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

spectralent posted:

I decided to just jump in as poland. I notice I've got all these heretics adjacent to me with kingdoms that could be paying honest god-fearing taxes if I invaded them. Can I do that, somehow?

Right-click on an independent ruler and select "declare war." If the button is greyed out, you can mouse over it to see why it's greyed out. If it's greyed out because you don't have a casus belli, then send your chancellor on a mission to fabricate a claim on one of their counties.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Never use fabricated claims, it's a moral failing.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you're pagan poland you should be able to marry into pagan families to get claims, if you're catholic poland you can holy war pagans and marry into orthodox families for claims.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Do watch out though, the Baltic and Slavic pagans around Poland are of the Defensive type and as such can hire armies with prestige when at war and/or piety when attacked by nations of other religion groups. They might field larger armies than you expect. You'll also get rather high attrition in their lands.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I'm not sure I get how wars work here. I made a huge blob and went and mulched their big blob by chasing it halfway across the baltics and then went to sit on some provinces. Every time the siege morale hit 0 it regenerated though? Then they had a massive blob again and I'd lost loads of guys because diseases kept happening and now I'm losing. I'm honestly so confused.

EDIT: I guess piety explains where the new army came from though. I don't think I get sieges.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 11, 2016

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

spectralent posted:

I'm not sure I get how wars work here. I made a huge blob and went and mulched their big blob by chasing it halfway across the baltics and then went to sit on some provinces. Every time the siege morale hit 0 it regenerated though? Then they had a massive blob again and I'd lost loads of guys because diseases kept happening and now I'm losing. I'm honestly so confused.

EDIT: I guess piety explains where the new army came from though. I don't think I get sieges.

Provinces can and usually do have multiple different "holdings" (castles, temples, cities, etc) inside them, and each one has to be sieged down individually. When your army finished sieging one holding it automatically started working on the next one in that province, which made it seem like it regenerated. A province can only have a maximum of seven holdings (and having that many is pretty rare) so if you leave an army on a province long enough it'll siege then all down eventually. Each individual holding sieged down earns you warscore, as well as winning battles. When you hit 100% warscore you can force the enemy to surrender to you; the enemy will occasionally also surrender to you voluntarily before that point.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Automated Posting posted:

Provinces can and usually do have multiple different "holdings" (castles, temples, cities, etc) inside them, and each one has to be sieged down individually. When your army finished sieging one holding it automatically started working on the next one in that province, which made it seem like it regenerated. A province can only have a maximum of seven holdings (and having that many is pretty rare) so if you leave an army on a province long enough it'll siege then all down eventually. Each individual holding sieged down earns you warscore, as well as winning battles. When you hit 100% warscore you can force the enemy to surrender to you; the enemy will occasionally also surrender to you voluntarily before that point.

So basically my mistake was going to sit on things too early? I should've waited for them to hire more dudes then murder them all too before sitting on things?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

spectralent posted:

So basically my mistake was going to sit on things too early? I should've waited for them to hire more dudes then murder them all too before sitting on things?

Nah, you've got the right idea. Most wars go smash big stack -> Besiege a province -> smash their stack again which by this point has come back and is probably besieging one of your provinces ->Besiege their provinces again, etc.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Pakled posted:

Nah, you've got the right idea. Most wars go smash big stack -> Besiege a province -> smash their stack again which by this point has come back and is probably besieging one of your provinces ->Besiege their provinces again, etc.

The issue was I kept getting an event where I'd lose 10% of my army or so to disease so it was really gutting them.

Also I've just discovered you don't get reinforcements naturally, you have to disband your dudes and re form the entire army :psyduck: This is all so weird.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Typically what you do is split up your dudes to siege multiple adjacent provinces faster, and then group them back up when the enemy comes back for round 2.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

spectralent posted:

The issue was I kept getting an event where I'd lose 10% of my army or so to disease so it was really gutting them.

Also I've just discovered you don't get reinforcements naturally, you have to disband your dudes and re form the entire army :psyduck: This is all so weird.

Your levies will replenish in your home territory while raised now.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jabor posted:

Typically what you do is split up your dudes to siege multiple adjacent provinces faster, and then group them back up when the enemy comes back for round 2.

Is there no benefit to having a large stack sieging beyond the amount needed to outnumber?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

Is there no benefit to having a large stack sieging beyond the amount needed to outnumber?

It goes slightly faster, but otherwise no. Unless you have a really large stack (10x the garrison or so), in which case you can just assault the walls and occupy it in a fraction of the normal siege time.

You do want a bit of a larger stack for normal sieges, though, since random siege events can make you lose troops and if you drop below the garrison amount you can't siege it anymore.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You get a bonus to progress per tick based on how much you outnumber, but I think between diminishing returns and besieger events being percentile, you don't always want a massive stack.

I have no idea if its actually best practices or just feels good but I'll generally use the whole host to siege the castle in the province, and leave a remnant to clean up the churches and towns while the host moves on.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Buschmaki posted:

Your levies will replenish in your home territory while raised now.

Oh, so that's why my levies have been sometimes replenishing, sometimes not. I was wondering. Thanks for the info; last time I played a lot levies didn't replenish while up, so them doing so now, but only sometimes, really confused me.

zedprime posted:

You get a bonus to progress per tick based on how much you outnumber, but I think between diminishing returns and besieger events being percentile, you don't always want a massive stack.

I have no idea if its actually best practices or just feels good but I'll generally use the whole host to siege the castle in the province, and leave a remnant to clean up the churches and towns while the host moves on.

If you outnumber them by enough and/or want to win fast (or, in certain narrow cases, want to kill off a lot of the besieging troops, like when trying to vassalize a holy order), storming is an option, and more is definitely better there, though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 11, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I usually split my main stack into stacks about double the garrison size of the places I want to siege.

If I can't, or if the enemy could pull a comeback because he's not crushed yet, or he has lots of gold to hire mercs, I don't bother and siege one county at a time.

Speaking of mercs I always use them to assault since I pay good money for them, might as well make them all die for it. Plus when the war ends they're less useful to my enemies until they replenish.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

TorakFade posted:

Speaking of mercs I always use them to assault since I pay good money for them, might as well make them all die for it. Plus when the war ends they're less useful to my enemies until they replenish.

Also I'm pretty sure maintenance for a merc band is scaled based on the number of troops they currently have, so each one of them you get killed saves you money!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

Also I'm pretty sure maintenance for a merc band is scaled based on the number of troops they currently have, so each one of them you get killed saves you money!
I thought it was based on the current total potential capacity? A just-cut-down merc band that can normally raise up to 10k men costs just as much in maintenance as a merc band that's currently got 10k/10k mans in it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

I thought it was based on the current total potential capacity? A just-cut-down merc band that can normally raise up to 10k men costs just as much in maintenance as a merc band that's currently got 10k/10k mans in it.

Only the hiring cost is fixed. Maintenance costs scale based on how many troops they actually have (although it will still be higher per-man than your own levies).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

Same as in reality and Total War, and so we use them the exact same way; send them into the meat grinder to die.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Having started as Count of Chios in 769, it's now the late 10th Century and I've finally managed to get a totally-not-a-viceroyalty Duke-or-above title of my own. By kicking my cousin off the throne of a very odd-looking Kingdom of Bavaria.
I was close to being able to grab a title 50 years ago or so, by fabricating --> warring towards Cilicia, but the Basileus declared Holy War before I got the last claim.

Not sure what the next step is - I'm aiming to be Basileus at some point - but I reckon expanding where I can and building up my forces within the Empire gives me the best chance of that for now.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Anyone have interesting/fun/whatever characters for a 1066 India game? Now that the game runs so well I figure I might as well pick up the achievement for playing one game through from 1066-1453. Other than the Zuns, I haven't really played in India at all and have no idea what to do (other than going Kali Hindu to sacrifice prisoners).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jazerus posted:

It was for a while, it's much better now.

It still has the big downside that the vanilla game is fixed now there's little point playing a vanilla mod anymore, I do miss the factions though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why the hell with all these optional rules is it still no possible to have more revolts or faster religion/cultural conversion? Or slightly higher demesne? Some of these things are cool though; decreasing the vassal limit causes some hilarious breakdowns of order and renders empires incredibly centralized, but decreasing the demesne limit just is absolute nonsense at its highest limit, I think the only person on the map with more than 1 was the Byzantine Emperor?

Turkic invaders is pretty great, but I wish I could set it so that crusades/great holy wars would enable by default. I don't feel like waiting 5 loving ever from teh Charlie start to get them, especially for the pagans. Just the Zoros and Jews get theirs right away and setting the latter up is such a hassle.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone have info on how to trigger the event that adds another holding slot to a county? I have my capital at two prosperity and it is my crown focus but I don't know what the other requirements are and a Google search has not been able to help me.

In other news, raiding as a Berber is pretty sweet. I keep landing on Rome and making GBS threads on the Pope.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Doesn't it need to be at three prosperity? ("Booming" is the word it uses IIRC).

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yep, gotta be three.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Anyone have info on how to trigger the event that adds another holding slot to a county? I have my capital at two prosperity and it is my crown focus but I don't know what the other requirements are and a Google search has not been able to help me.

In other news, raiding as a Berber is pretty sweet. I keep landing on Rome and making GBS threads on the Pope.
Click the question mark on my post and you'll find all the info, right there.

Or I just found it for you:

"Oh yeah and reclaim land is in the uhhh "rip_prosperity_events" file, looks like you have to have it on crown focus, prosperity modifier 3 and it has a MTTH of 65 years, shortened by having high stewardship, learning, having a "smart" trait (shrewd, quick or genius), the lifestyle traits Admin, Architect, Scholar or Gardener, Diligent and a Master level education."

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Click the question mark on my post and you'll find all the info, right there.

Or I just found it for you:

"Oh yeah and reclaim land is in the uhhh "rip_prosperity_events" file, looks like you have to have it on crown focus, prosperity modifier 3 and it has a MTTH of 65 years, shortened by having high stewardship, learning, having a "smart" trait (shrewd, quick or genius), the lifestyle traits Admin, Architect, Scholar or Gardener, Diligent and a Master level education."
Awesome, thank you! I knew someone had posted it but I didnt see it quoted in my post history. Now it is. I would love to have Al-Djazair at max holding slots :getin:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Awesome, thank you! I knew someone had posted it but I didnt see it quoted in my post history. Now it is. I would love to have Al-Djazair at max holding slots :getin:
If you wanna cheat, you can also just run

'event RIP.11705' and there ya go~

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If you wanna cheat, you can also just run

'event RIP.11705' and there ya go~
:gonk: Aaaaaag you are enabling me!
Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

If you're not sacking Rome, you're not a real heathen :colbert:

• Locked thread