Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

baquerd posted:

On paper, this deal doesn't look that bad really. Basically, it seems you have agreed that in consideration for the $100k down payment and presumably actually getting the house loan in his name, you have exclusive right to use it and an ownership interest increasing from 33% to 60% over time. Try getting any other 100k loan without repayment needed on the presumption of future appreciation of a primary residence and I bet you the terms would not be as good. Actually, I think I heard about something like this in the news recently - this was a mortgage lending strategy in the 80's, and the homeowners were whining about it (not saying you are) because they didn't understand why their $800k house only nets them like $50k when they sell it.

You've sacrificed future gains and mobility for short-term benefit (the $100k). As an investor, he certainly took on a variety of risks and should be compensated.

Really?

What happens to them if the house depreciates? What if it sells for a loss? What about that weird 2023 clause in section 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So, I have a question. We (my wife and I) are selling our house, and it's a situation where my father in law put 100k down on a house for us, which we would then pay the mortgage on. Seems great, right? Well, no, he made us sign a contract that says we start off with 1/3 share in the house (1/6 each) and he owns 2/3s. He's a laywer, and I've misunderstood a lot of the process and assumed this was a gift - it's not, he's invested and expecting to make money off it, and becomes angry and abusive at us when we expect him to help us out in any way. It's one of the reasons we want out of this deal - and also because the market is way, way up and I'm worried about it going down again and getting us stuck.

Now, according to the contact, we should be getting more percentage of the house as we pay the principal (interest, property tax, and repairs contribute absolutely nothing to this, even though we've been paying that entirely ourselves to the tune of well over 100k for the last 3 years). Here's the exact text of that part:

(Us) will pay to (Him) VIA PAYMENTS TO THE TRUST DEED a royalty which shall be calculated as follows: PERCENTAGE OF PURCHASE PRICE AND COSTS OFFSET BY PAYMENT OF PRINCIPLE CONTRIBUTION REVIEW AND INCREASED EVERY TWO YEARS. Upon satisfactory payment of principle the percentage of ownership by (Us) shall be increased every two years to the percentage the principle payment represents of the purchase costs: shared equally until the percentage of ownership reaches 40% for (Him), 30% for (Me), and 30% for (Wife).

He says he's willing to do an increase right now in our percentage even though it says it's only every 2 years. Here are the numbers below - according to this contract, what should our percentage be going to?

Our current %: 33.33
His current %: 66.66

His down payment: 100k
Starting mortgage amount: 385k (house was bought for 485k in Jan 2014)
Amount of principle we have paid since the house was bought: 17,913
Current mortgage amount: 370,087

Our modified %: ?
His modified %: ?

I'll also be contacting a lawyer to review this. I'm not too worried about him backing out of the deal, as he's agreed to sell (and he needs the money right now because he's a compulsive house and car buyer). But I want to be sure I know what I'm talking about.

As a side note, Zillow says the house is currently worth 655k (!!!). You can see why we want to sell, and he'll be making a tidy profit on top of his initial 100k investment for sure.

I don't see anything in your agreement that clarifies who is responsible for taxes, mortgage payments, and other costs associated with owning a home. How this is handled in a multi owner situation depends on your local laws. Do not take advice from the internet on this. Meet with a local real estate lawyer. Taking 2/3rds of the property tax, maintenance, and mortgage taxes out of his portion of the sale should more than pay for a lawyer.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Yeah I want the legalgoons to weigh in on this hosed up situation. Check this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

lampey posted:

I don't see anything in your agreement that clarifies who is responsible for taxes, mortgage payments, and other costs associated with owning a home. How this is handled in a multi owner situation depends on your local laws. Do not take advice from the internet on this. Meet with a local real estate lawyer. Taking 2/3rds of the property tax, maintenance, and mortgage taxes out of his portion of the sale should more than pay for a lawyer.

I agree but I don't want to push it. I'm totally fine with ~$90 and getting on with our lives. That's more than enough for us to start over.

The Mandingo posted:

Yeah I want the legalgoons to weigh in on this hosed up situation. Check this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

Thank you, I will.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Really?

What happens to them if the house depreciates? What if it sells for a loss? What about that weird 2023 clause in section 7?

That's the "mobility" sacrifice. I didn't notice the balloon payment/forced sale in 2023, but again, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable. The dude floated $100k on something totally illiquid and without cashflows, this is a crap investment without sweetening the pot.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
imho if you have to borrow money from a relative to buy a house you should just setup a recurring payment a couple months prior to closing for your share of the phone bill, repayment for college, a cousins' college fund or something similar. Then just have them sign the bank paperwork saying its a gift.

Oh also you shouldn't get involved in an shady or illegal dealings or piss off any DAs for the next 25 years.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I think the biggest question would be whether you can sell the house without his approval based on this agreement, since he is majority owner if it is enforceable.

But yeah, you should definitely seek out a local real estate attorney and explain the situation to them before you do anything else (don't even mention that you want to sell to anyone until you talk to a lawyer).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

baquerd posted:

That's the "mobility" sacrifice. I didn't notice the balloon payment/forced sale in 2023, but again, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable. The dude floated $100k on something totally illiquid and without cashflows, this is a crap investment without sweetening the pot.

Dude should have just bought the house and rented it to his daughter. Or treated it as a gift. Or treated it as a loan, and arranged for payback. Or if he just wanted to invest in real estate, he can buy REITs or find investment partners to invest in a building or whatever.

Treating your own children as investments and then holding them to abusive contract terms is revolting, not "sweetening the pot" and as we can see, those kids are now prepared to sever ties. Do you care more about getting a sweet return on your investments, than maintaining good relationships with your own kids?

Even if you don't think the contract is at all abusive, if he cared about his daughter's financial well-being he'd have advised her to get her own lawyer before getting her to sign a contract of this significance.

e. I want to reiterate that I am not a lawyer and am making barely-educated guesses as to the language in this contract. Maybe it really is a great deal for you two. You need a lawyer familiar with real estate laws in your area to review it and should not act until you've done that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Treating your own children as investments and then holding them to abusive contract terms is revolting, not "sweetening the pot" and as we can see, those kids are now prepared to sever ties. Do you care more about getting a sweet return on your investments, than maintaining good relationships with your own kids?

Even if you don't think the contract is at all abusive, if he cared about his daughter's financial well-being he'd have advised her to get her own lawyer before getting her to sign a contract of this significance.

Well, that's one way to look at it. Another is this guy is really serious about teaching his daughter and son-in-law about contracts and money the way that tends to stick the best - the hard way :colbert:.

I'm not really defending the guy, I just feel like if you extract the family relationship from the deal, this isn't some crazy one-sided deal. I don't think it's a good deal for them, but borrowing $100k for a down-payment rarely ends in a good deal. Would their financial situation be better if they 3% FHA'd and PMI'd their way in?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Droo posted:

I think the biggest question would be whether you can sell the house without his approval based on this agreement, since he is majority owner if it is enforceable.

But yeah, you should definitely seek out a local real estate attorney and explain the situation to them before you do anything else (don't even mention that you want to sell to anyone until you talk to a lawyer).

Yes, that is my biggest question. As of this moment he is willing to sell. I'm stepping on eggshells to make sure he stays that way and we get our percentage.

Leperflesh posted:

Dude should have just bought the house and rented it to his daughter. Or treated it as a gift. Or treated it as a loan, and arranged for payback. Or if he just wanted to invest in real estate, he can buy REITs or find investment partners to invest in a building or whatever.

e. I want to reiterate that I am not a lawyer and am making barely-educated guesses as to the language in this contract. Maybe it really is a great deal for you two. You need a lawyer familiar with real estate laws in your area to review it and should not act until you've done that.

All these things are true. He's been abusive (psychologically and physically) to all his daughters, and his oldest daughter is currently locked in to a similar deal with no way out. Looking back we were very dumb to agree to this. We're just lucky the market is up so much and he needs the money.

baquerd posted:

Well, that's one way to look at it. Another is this guy is really serious about teaching his daughter and son-in-law about contracts and money the way that tends to stick the best - the hard way :colbert:.

I'm not really defending the guy, I just feel like if you extract the family relationship from the deal, this isn't some crazy one-sided deal. I don't think it's a good deal for them, but borrowing $100k for a down-payment rarely ends in a good deal. Would their financial situation be better if they 3% FHA'd and PMI'd their way in?

If he hadn't offered us this deal we would have kept renting and likely had savings by now, and - most importantly - not have financial ties to him. Yeah, I'd be better off.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Rotten Red Rod posted:

We're just lucky the market is up so much and he needs the money.

Talk to a lawyer for sure.

But if it looks like you are going to get screwed and he needs the money, you might want to consider looking into a cash out refi. Then you could pretend like you wanted to stay in the house for a long time, and ask him if you could buy out his share. Maybe he would take $125k now if he thinks the alternative is $150k in 5 years.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Talk to a lawyer for sure.

But if it looks like you are going to get screwed and he needs the money, you might want to consider looking into a cash out refi. Then you could pretend like you wanted to stay in the house for a long time, and ask him if you could buy out his share. Maybe he would take $125k now if he thinks the alternative is $150k in 5 years.

Where would I get the 125k? And that's probably what he would get from the sale anyway. Probably more.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Pay him? I pay the mortgage and property taxes. I've never paid him directly.

I was looking at the Royalty section which said every 2 years it gets recalculated. While you didn't say he bought the property for you, there was a mention of you having made 3 years of payments.

Has there never been an adjustment in the past? I may be in a bit over my head here. At any rate, it looks like you are going to get stuck with the full costs of selling the house out of our share, so you won't walk away with much.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

daslog posted:

I was looking at the Royalty section which said every 2 years it gets recalculated. While you didn't say he bought the property for you, there was a mention of you having made 3 years of payments.

Has there never been an adjustment in the past? I may be in a bit over my head here. At any rate, it looks like you are going to get stuck with the full costs of selling the house out of our share, so you won't walk away with much.

He said he's willing to recalculate that now since we are selling. Even if he doesn't the original 33% is fine by me.

We haven't done an adjustment, no, I pretty much immediately forgot about this document because I assumed he was family and would help us out instead of being hostile.

Yes, I will be handling the repairs, touch ups, etc. to stage the house. Some I will be doing myself whenever possible. However, I was assuming the realtor fees and any major repairs paid with escrow would come out of both our shares. Exactly what other house sale expenses should I expect that would reduce $90k (or more) to not very much?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He said he's willing to recalculate that now since we are selling. Even if he doesn't the original 33% is fine by me.

We haven't done an adjustment, no, I pretty much immediately forgot about this document because I assumed he was family and would help us out instead of being hostile.

Yes, I will be handling the repairs, touch ups, etc. to stage the house. Some I will be doing myself whenever possible. However, I was assuming the realtor fees and any major repairs paid with escrow would come out of both our shares. Exactly what other house sale expenses should I expect that would reduce $90k (or more) to not very much?

Ok that makes sense. I was just assuming that he's going to try to screw you for whatever he can. 5% of 650,000 is 32,500 in real estate fees. You might want to write down any other assumptions and make sure he's on the same page.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

daslog posted:

Ok that makes sense. I was just assuming that he's going to try to screw you for whatever he can. 5% of 650,000 is 32,500 in real estate fees. You might want to write down any other assumptions and make sure he's on the same page.

Yes, I will be asking him for specifics on things like these and being VERY clear about what we will receive every step of the way. Thanks - if you can think of anything else I should clearly spell out, let me know. I intend to have my lawyer write the Disbursement of Payment for the title company to make sure everything is correct.

We do have SOME leeway - if he fucks with us we can turn his friends and mother against him, as they are as devoted to his daughters as they are to him. But that's the nuclear option and only if he blocks the sale as spelled out here or tries to screw us in some other way (any more than he already is). As it is now he's getting a nice payday so he's going with it.

Edit: here's another question - capital gains tax. Here's a scenario - do we pay capital games tax in this case? From what I understand, there's an exemption for single people for sales under 250k in profit and married couples under 500k in profit.

Original buying price: 485k
Mortgage still to be paid: 370k
Estimated sale price: 700k

If I understand correctly, we will pay no capital gains tax. Are there any other taxes/costs involved I don't know about, other than realtor fees (I'm assuming 6%)?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 10, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It maybe depends, because those exemptions are for your home which is your primary residence. Is this really your home? What about his two thirds interest in it? Is he gonna pay cap gains on his share?

My best guess is that yeah, you won't own any cap gains taxes, especially if you take your payout and use it to buy another home somewhere. But due to the arrangement you have, it might be more complicated than it seems, and you should talk to your tax professional.

As to other fees: you'll pay both your and the buyer's realtor, which is probably 6% (that seems to be customary in California). In this market you can probably avoid having to offer to pay any of the buyers' costs. During inspections they will probably find some poo poo to demand that you fix or pay for them to fix, but that assumes you go with a buyer who wants an inspection contingency. You will probably need to pay for your lawyer, because in this case you probably shouldn't try to get through this sale without a real estate lawyer. All of the other significant fees should be covered by the buyer or their lender.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

It maybe depends, because those exemptions are for your home which is your primary residence. Is this really your home? What about his two thirds interest in it? Is he gonna pay cap gains on his share?

My best guess is that yeah, you won't own any cap gains taxes, especially if you take your payout and use it to buy another home somewhere. But due to the arrangement you have, it might be more complicated than it seems, and you should talk to your tax professional.

As to other fees: you'll pay both your and the buyer's realtor, which is probably 6% (that seems to be customary in California). In this market you can probably avoid having to offer to pay any of the buyers' costs. During inspections they will probably find some poo poo to demand that you fix or pay for them to fix, but that assumes you go with a buyer who wants an inspection contingency. You will probably need to pay for your lawyer, because in this case you probably shouldn't try to get through this sale without a real estate lawyer. All of the other significant fees should be covered by the buyer or their lender.

It is our primary (and only) residence. It is not his (the 2/3s father in law) primary residence, he lives elsewhere in the state (California, by the way). I don't know if he will, that's my question. If so, will that be taken off the sale price, or be charged when tax time comes around? Are our profits from this counted separately or together?

I'm not planning on buying a house elsewhere at the moment, at least not until we are situated out of state, both have reliable incomes, and happy and secure with savings. I thought the capital gains exemption says nothing about buying a new property...?

Regarding realtors fees, I assume when you say "you'll pay" you mean all 3 of us (me, wife, father-in-law) and that is taken off the profit, not up front. Let me know if that's wrong. I have been budgeting for that all along.

I am indeed paying for my lawyer. My father actually offered to cover the costs of the lawyer for me (have I mentioned my parents are the greatest). I just wonder how many billable hours I will rack up before this is done - the one I found charges $330 an hour, and I have no idea if that's reasonable or not.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 10, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It is our primary (and only) residence. It is not his (the 2/3s father in law) primary residence, he lives elsewhere in the state (California, by the way). I don't know if he will, that's my question. If so, will that be taken off the sale price, or be charged when tax time comes around? Are our profits from this counted separately or together?

This is the confusing part, and I'm just not confident I have the right answer. Someone else here might.

quote:

I'm not planning on buying a house elsewhere at the moment, at least not until we are situated out of state, both have reliable incomes, and happy and secure with savings. I thought the capital gains exemption says nothing about buying a new property...?

Ah, you're right. I think it used to matter, but not any more? In any case, yeah the government decided it doesn't need to cap gains tax people when they make a profit on selling their main home.

quote:

Regarding realtors fees, I assume when you say "you'll pay" you mean all 3 of us (me, wife, father-in-law) and that is taken off the profit, not up front. Let me know if that's wrong. I have been budgeting for that all along.

Someone has to pay it. Typically the realtors take the fee off the total sale price of the house. So, if the house sells for $600k, you will pay the buyers' and sellers' agents a total of $36,000. You usually pay that money after the buyer's check clears. It is definitely not based on the profit - if it were, people selling their houses for the same as what they owe, would pay their realtors nothing. Note though that this fee, while "customary," is not legally mandated and is therefore theoretically negotiable. For example, if you sell with Redfin, they give you a rebate on part of the customary fee.

quote:

I am indeed paying for my lawyer. My father actually offered to cover the costs of the lawyer for me (have I mentioned my parents are the greatest). I just wonder how many billable hours I will rack up before this is done - the one I found charges $330 an hour, and I have no idea if that's reasonable or not.

It sounds a little high to me, but a normal real estate transaction would only require an hour or two of the lawyers' time, just to look over things.

This guide on Zillow suggests fees typically range from $150 to $350/hr:

quote:

Attorney fees: Some states require an attorney to oversee the closing. In most states, it’s up to you whether to hire your own lawyer. Real estate attorney fees vary. Some charge by the hour with rates ranging from $150 to $350 per hour, while others offer a fixed rate to conduct a real estate closing. Expect to pay $500 to as much as $1,500 if you hire an attorney.

Your situation might cost more, if there is extra work because of your weird contract thing, but it also might not. :shrug:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Someone has to pay it. Typically the realtors take the fee off the total sale price of the house. So, if the house sells for $600k, you will pay the buyers' and sellers' agents a total of $36,000. You usually pay that money after the buyer's check clears. It is definitely not based on the profit - if it were, people selling their houses for the same as what they owe, would pay their realtors nothing. Note though that this fee, while "customary," is not legally mandated and is therefore theoretically negotiable. For example, if you sell with Redfin, they give you a rebate on part of the customary fee.

Sorry, I meant to say it's paid from the profit, not based off the profit. I understand that - they get their % on the total sale price, not minus the mortgage. I'm just making sure that my father in law will be required to pay his portion of the realtor fee, not me being entirely stuck with it. That part I will likely get my lawyer to write up.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Hahahaha nothing like a really shady lawyer doing shady lawyer poo poo to really work BFC up into a tizzy. This is awesome.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I am not a lawyer or an accountant or a tax expert, but my understanding is that it doesn't matter that the other guy is a co-owner; each co-owner is eligible for the $250k exemption in capital gains tax if they pass the use test of using the house as a primary residence and co-owner for 2 of the 5 previous years. If your name is on the deed and you were living there for at least 2 years, then you get the $250k exemption on your share of the profit. If the other guy wasn't living there, he doesn't get the exemption, but that has no bearing on whether you get the exemption.

e: Oh right, you have a wife. She's also on the deed and passes the primary residence test of 2 out of 5 years, I hope? You get a $500k exemption on your share of the profits.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hahahaha nothing like a really shady lawyer doing shady lawyer poo poo to really work BFC up into a tizzy. This is awesome.

Yeah, indeed, he's a real piece of poo poo. Glad to see our feelings about him are justified.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Seems to me (as a layperson) that any costs that go into selling the house should also be split along those same percentages. Need to stage the house? Make repairs? He pays 65%, you pay 35%. He wanted to own that share, part of owning a house includes those costs too. He shouldn't be only getting the benefits of the deal without the responsibilities.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Seems to me (as a layperson) that any costs that go into selling the house should also be split along those same percentages. Need to stage the house? Make repairs? He pays 65%, you pay 35%. He wanted to own that share, part of owning a house includes those costs too. He shouldn't be only getting the benefits of the deal without the responsibilities.

Again, same guy that used the insurance money that was meant for his older daughter's roof into personal investments. What you're saying makes sense for a rational, empathetic person, which he isn't.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And you do not want to push him into fighting things because if he decides to stop cooperating, your only legal option is binding arbitration instead of real court.

I agree with your approach of just eating the small stuff like minor repairs and staging.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Binding arbitration is good for the layperson over the lawyer, and in like every contract ever.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

blarzgh posted:

Binding arbitration is good for the layperson over the lawyer, and in like every contract ever.

This is absolutely, unequivocally, 100% false. Yes in some rare situations arbitration has been good for your average joe, but by and large it has crippled the ability of the layperson to have any legal recourse whatsoever in a wide array of scenarios.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is absolutely, unequivocally, 100% false. Yes in some rare situations arbitration has been good for your average joe, but by and large it has crippled the ability of the layperson to have any legal recourse whatsoever in a wide array of scenarios.

yeah don't trust blazrgh, he's a lawyer trying to trick you into arbitration

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

yeah don't trust blazrgh, he's a lawyer trying to trick you into arbitration

HUSH

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I refuse to believe a real lawyer wrote that. Who the hell styles what is effectively a partnership in a real property interest a "License Agreement"? Payments to equity are "royalty payments"? How do you use that many words describing the ownership re balancing and convey no meaning whatsoever? Is this the legal equivalent of an orthopedic surgeon trying his hand at a nose job?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah you see that every day from shady lawyers, being obtuse and hard to understand is kind of the point.

I feel like I failed to understand an arbitration joke or something, I have no idea who is lawyers and who isn't in here so if you know way more than me just shout me down it's all good.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

I refuse to believe a real lawyer wrote that. Who the hell styles what is effectively a partnership in a real property interest a "License Agreement"? Payments to equity are "royalty payments"? How do you use that many words describing the ownership re balancing and convey no meaning whatsoever? Is this the legal equivalent of an orthopedic surgeon trying his hand at a nose job?

Someone who likes to pretend they are a REIT.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
its a hosed up agreement for sure; calling it a "license agreement" and having its effect be the transfer of ownership interest in the property is like taking an 18 wheeler and calling it a "bicycle." For legal title in property to pass, the granting document must be recorded with the county records, otherwise you have, like jackson said, some sort of partnership or something.

If the guy is competent, there are almost certainly more documents related to this transaction out there somewhere.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah you see that every day from shady lawyers, being obtuse and hard to understand is kind of the point.

I feel like I failed to understand an arbitration joke or something, I have no idea who is lawyers and who isn't in here so if you know way more than me just shout me down it's all good.

Arbitration is Court-Light, with summary proceedings, relaxed rules of procedure, evidence, trial, discovery, etc. The main reason lay people (pro se/pro per) get steamrolled in Court is because they don't know all the procedural pitfalls that can cause you to lose a case "on a technicality" or keep you from introducing important evidence.

In an arbitration proceeding, like in Justice Court (JP Court/Small Claims Court), many of those advantages for a lawyer are eroded, and rendered less effective, somewhat evening the playing field. On top of that, mediation is a fraction of the cost of full on litigation, which, again, helps people who can't afford their own lawyer. In particular, this guy's situation is unique because his hypothetical 'opponent' wouldn't even have to pay attorneys fees to money whip him since he could donate his time to himself, essentially.

Arbitriation is much shorter, has less discovery, and goes before an Arbitrator who may or may not be a former Judge who may care more about figuring out the underlying truth over simply ruling on who got procedural questions right. (Fun Fact: Judge Judy is an arbitrator!) This is why arbitration is better than real Court for lay people.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blarzgh posted:

Arbitriation is much shorter, has less discovery, and goes before an Arbitrator who may or may not be a former Judge who may care more about figuring out the underlying truth over simply ruling on who got procedural questions right. (Fun Fact: Judge Judy is an arbitrator!) This is why arbitration is better than real Court for lay people.

Unless you're going against a major corporation with a great relationship with their hand-picked arbitrator, I think you've got great points.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It also destroys the ability of consumers to form a class against a corporation. Classes tend to benefit the attorney more than the class itself, but can be costly and public for the corporation.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Agreed, and thank you. We plan to cut him out of our lives entirely after this.

What kind of person goes to great lengths to screw over his/her own children? Is it about money, or is he just a genuine rear end in a top hat? Good lawyers usually aren't short on cash, though greed knows no bounds.

I'm very curious how you were able to get the home loan approved with this $100k gift-vestment from your FIL. Terms of the deal would have had to be disclosed, I would think, or he'd be on the mortgage itself...or proof that the $100k was a term-less gift would be needed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

blarzgh posted:

its a hosed up agreement for sure; calling it a "license agreement" and having its effect be the transfer of ownership interest in the property is like taking an 18 wheeler and calling it a "bicycle." For legal title in property to pass, the granting document must be recorded with the county records, otherwise you have, like jackson said, some sort of partnership or something.

If the guy is competent, there are almost certainly more documents related to this transaction out there somewhere.

Theoretically, if this document is null and void, and all 3 of us are on the deed and title (we are, I checked today - I don't have them in hand yet but the preview showed all 3 names), how much share should each of us have in the house? Does it revert to 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3? Is it specified some other way?

(Reminder that I'm meeting with a lawyer this afternoon.)

Magicaljesus posted:

What kind of person goes to great lengths to screw over his/her own children? Is it about money, or is he just a genuine rear end in a top hat? Good lawyers usually aren't short on cash, though greed knows no bounds.

I'm very curious how you were able to get the home loan approved with this $100k gift-vestment from your FIL. Terms of the deal would have had to be disclosed, I would think, or he'd be on the mortgage itself...or proof that the $100k was a term-less gift would be needed.

He is both all about the money and a genuine rear end in a top hat. He's abused all his daughters, physically and mentally. And he's short on cash because he can't stop buying and selling houses and cars like crazy.

I don't know. He IS on the mortgage - he and I both are named on there, even though I'm the only one that's ever paid into it.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Theoretically, if this document is null and void, and all 3 of us are on the deed and title (we are, I checked today - I don't have them in hand yet but the preview showed all 3 names), how much share should each of us have in the house? Does it revert to 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3? Is it specified some other way?

Anyone competent to offer you legal advice about this will a) charge you for it, and b) would never ever do it anonymously on the internet.