Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

flyboi posted:

Enter the matrix was one of the few decent licensed movie games

It had probably the best cheat code menu of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

Outrun 2 (though I think on the Xbox you want the 2006 version)

OutRun2006 is the definitive/complete version, but vanilla OutRun 2 has a couple of bonus stages from other Sega racing games that didn't make it into the upgrade/sequel. Also 2006 came out on PC/PS2/PSP as well, so the original release is the only one that's technically Xbox exclusive. Still, best version besides the PC one, although the PS2 port is not shabby at all save for the forced PSP connectivity to unlock everything.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Here's some of my other recommendations for the original xbox:
Crazy Taxi 3
Destroy All Humans 1 and 2
Driv3r - but only if you're playing with a trainer loaded because the bugs are too dire without one
Half Life 2 - it actually runs super well, they did an amazing job adapting the aiming and movement to console controls.
Lego Star Wars 1 and 2 - always fun
Megaman Anniversay Edition - the best one from before the recent Xbox One/PS4 collection came out, lots of extra content
All the Metal Slug games.
The Namco Museums
Puyo Pop Fever
Taito Legends 1 and 2
Sonic Mega Collection Plus - again not as good as recently released things, but still has a bunch of great extra
Sneak King!
The various Worms games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Puyo Puyo Fever is only a PAL/JP game and if i'm importing another Puyo game it'd just be Tsu.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Elliotw2 posted:

Puyo Puyo Fever is only a PAL/JP game and if i'm importing another Puyo game it'd just be Tsu.

I didn't know this and now I'm even fonder of my Gamecube copy.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Zand posted:

also panzer dragoon orta is neat

Orta gets my highest recommendation. It's an excellent rail shooter with that striking Panzer Dragoon style somewhere between Moebius and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

I also think it'll get more expensive in the years to come.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

njsykora posted:

I didn't know this and now I'm even fonder of my Gamecube copy.

The Gamecube, and DS versions did get released in the USA, the PS2, GBA, PSP, and Xbox are PAL only. The USA also got Minna de Puyo Puyo in the form of Puyo Pop for the GBA.

Also Fever is bad because the characters, 3-Puyo pieces, and Fever mode are bad. Import 20th, 15th, or Tetris if you want a modern one, or just buy Tsu on the Wii or in the 3DS collection.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

No need to import just download it to your Xbox. They play fine.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

If I had a 1XB XB1 first x box (dammit MS), I'd get the Burnout games, ie the best racing games ever.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I forgot to mention Top Spin, maybe the best tennis game ever made. Amped 2 was also pretty good.

Other options:

D&D Heroes: pretty underlooked hack n' slash game, good fun with multiple people, kind of a drag solo.
THPS2: best version of one of the best games of all time.
Oddworld: Strangers Wrath: really cool game, there's a PC port now that looks better but runs rougher so YMMV.
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors: the absolute best game to come from that generations obsession with character action games. Made by the dark souls people, is basically Dark Souls meets God of War, by far the best looking game on original Xbox.
Gun: Short but fun game, worth getting because I see copies for a dollar all the time. Really really really short.
Gladius: One of the last good Lucasarts games, highly under rated strategy title, Xbox version looks the nicest.
Armed and Dangerous: shark gun.
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks: Amazing co-op brawler, the only good MK game between UMK3 and MK9.
Stubbs the Zombie: OK game sort of in the vein of destroy all humans but with a zombie, also runs in the Halo engine.
Darkwatch: Terrible game but absolutely hilarious. The absolute peak of mid 00's grimdark machismo posturing, it's like the official videogame of Spemcers gifts.
Total Overdose: An interesting sidenote in the post-Halo pre-MW days where companies were desperate to find a new action shooter franchise but had no idea what people wanted.
Hulk Ultimate Destruction: Ever wanted a version of Prototype without all the boring whiny bullshit and stealth missions? That's what this is. You can wear a bus as gloves.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
No mention of Blood Wake, the best (and probably only) boat shooting game?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

D&D Heroes: pretty underlooked hack n' slash game, good fun with multiple people, kind of a drag solo.

My group hated D&D Heroes. One of the major problems with it is that only one person can access the menus at a time. So when we headed to a shop, the game stopped for about an hour as everyone in turn had to go through and do their stuff.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
State of Emergency! There was a mode you could play that was basically Crazy Taxi but with rioting. It was so much fun seeing how long you could extend the timer. Add to that it supported custom soundtracks and it was the loving best. Rotten game otherwise.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Freedom Fighters - Loved that game, especially how your base would expand as you went through the game.

The Splinter Cell Games

Amped

Halo and Halo 2 (obviously)

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - Different from the pc game and dirt cheap. And excellent arcade deathmatch flight sim, like Dog Fighter (PC) and Propeller Arena (DC).
Steel Battalion - If you like simulation piloting giant robots, it is the cheapest way to get that thrill.
Mech Assault 1&2 - If you just like using giant robots to blow poo poo up. 3rd person arcade action with great multiplayer.
Futurama - The best version of the platformer, and one that will never be rereleased. Gameplay is soso but has the original voicecast (minus Phil Lamar [Heremes]and Lauren Tom [Amy]).
Shenmue II - if you are into QTEs for petting cats.
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - Great FPS, if you havent played it the "remastered" sequel.
Tom and Jerry in War of the Whiskers - Aka Powerstone in the Tom and Jerry Universe.
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict - UT2k3, but with 3rd person melee weapons.

Special Mention
Gauntlet Dark Legacy - Far and away the best port of Gauntlet Legends editions. Graphics are dated and technically Dark Legacy is more of a DLC/Expansion pack than a new game, but dont let that fool you. There is a fairly deep (for an arcade RPG) combo system, a solid premise, and a lot of good time here for multiplayer. If you are only playing solo, skip it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

No love for Cobra Triangle, shameful

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

Code Jockey posted:

No love for Cobra Triangle, shameful

or the Warship Gunner series?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

I AM THE TOILET posted:

State of Emergency! There was a mode you could play that was basically Crazy Taxi but with rioting. It was so much fun seeing how long you could extend the timer. Add to that it supported custom soundtracks and it was the loving best. Rotten game otherwise.

I hear it's not at all worth it on ps2 but on xbox it's fun, yeah. I used to play it at an old job where I could get away with that a lot, blasting punk compilation CDs I ripped to the HDD. Good times.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man, remember when State of Emergency was a thing and people were more worried than GTA3 because *gasp* civil unrest!

We certainly don't live in a time where a game about destructive rioting would be received well even if it is an arcadey brawler with rocket launchers.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jzrkzusAJM

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Well I went out to find some of those Xbox games, and I managed to get a complete Shenmue 2 for $10.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the puyo fever to get is the japan only DC version, since it was a Naomi arcade game. that is if you like sonic team's weird bastardization of puyo at all though it's not as compile-divorced as people claim as it was ghost developed by milestone who are ex-compile

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

Well I went out to find some of those Xbox games, and I managed to get a complete Shenmue 2 for $10.

It was super cheap until the Shenmue 3 announcement so that's a good find.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is it still a pain to replace the original Xbox hdd? I remember having to hook it up over ide to my PC.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Gonna stream some Gradius III, or whatever I end up doing after I die:

http://twitch.tv/redfeyerthepulserifle

Over now, but man that was brutal.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 11, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
My issue with stuff like the Splinter Cell games or Crimson Skies is that those games are pretty neutered and don't really hold and kind of new or interesting experiences without the multiplayer. Chaos Theory multiplayer was the absolute poo poo and was probably the best online multiplayer game during those years, bar none. I remember staying up till the middle of the night playing rounds upon rounds with random people we'd met in lobby and tagged along with. One time we got into a game with a bunch of guys that worked at I think the whole Ziff Davis/1up/EGM/Game Videos/CGM/OPN monster corporation who were absolutely piss drunk at like 10 on a weekday.

But I barely even remember the single player missions from 2/3 because they were just not that interesting compared to how awesome the multiplayer was.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge still has a fun single player, and the split screen is good.

I used to play it (and Halo 2) over dial up and everybody hated me, it owned.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

I can't tell you how PISSED OFF I am at all these emudev authors that all seem to be getting dollar signs now and trying to sell themselves out for a few nickles and dimes. Byuu with his wishywashy shady 'closed-source license exemptions' to Hyperkin, two of Snes9x's devs apparently having gone 'rogue' and thinking they can sell everybody down the river, good going guys, it seems there is truly no 'honor among thieves'.

poo poo like this is why more and more I feel there is no point anymore in defending this bullshit 'scene' and we all should just be better off if RetroArch/Libretro gets more game engine cores, more non-emulator related stuff, since the emulation scene just plain up 'sucks' and is full of dishonest people with a double agenda! Here you are having these guys' back and truly defending their noncommercial license and then it turns out these guys (or at least TWO OF THEM!) try to play games behind your back!

Whoever runs the libretro twitter account isn't having a great day, I guess.

VIDEO GAMES

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think my Sega PAC is for realz dead now. My Laseractive won't do anything if I turn it on with the PAC inserted. Still plays LDs at least, as long as I eject the PAC.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Light Gun Man posted:

I think my Sega PAC is for realz dead now. My Laseractive won't do anything if I turn it on with the PAC inserted. Still plays LDs at least, as long as I eject the PAC.

Oh hey, I have the opposite problem. My PAC is fine, but my Laseractive won't play LDs or CDs and literally everyone around my area laughs at me when I call to ask if they repair LD players. We should combine to form a working Laseractive.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

Oh hey, I have the opposite problem. My PAC is fine, but my Laseractive won't play LDs or CDs and literally everyone around my area laughs at me when I call to ask if they repair LD players. We should combine to form a working Laseractive.

Isn't there a famous dude in the LD community you can ship stuff to to have it professionally repaired for pretty cheap? I sold off all my LD stuff years ago but I seem to remember there was a guy who did this

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

d0s posted:

Isn't there a famous dude in the LD community you can ship stuff to to have it professionally repaired for pretty cheap? I sold off all my LD stuff years ago but I seem to remember there was a guy who did this

I remember getting a quote from a user on digital press years ago on a PAC recapping for 100 bucks. I put it off, forever. If there is a cheap person, hell yeah let me know.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Light Gun Man posted:

I remember getting a quote from a user on digital press years ago on a PAC recapping for 100 bucks. I put it off, forever. If there is a cheap person, hell yeah let me know.

Agreed, I would also like to know of this person. Shipping an entire LaserActive to them would probably cost a billion dollars, but it'd be better than it not working.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I think this was it, I remember the hilarious 1995 website http://www.laserdiscservice.com/

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

I don't regret this purchase at all, this is a pretty good album

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
That cover art is great.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

d0s posted:

I think this was it, I remember the hilarious 1995 website http://www.laserdiscservice.com/

This site is everything I'd want a laserdisc repair service to be. I hope the fact that they haven't updated in 3 years isn't a bad sign.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
http://zeldauniverse.net/2016/07/11/japan-exclusive-bs-zelda-on-satellaview-gets-english-fan-translation-and-voice-dub/

So BS Zelda now has a dubbed English version thanks to an MSU patch.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

I don't regret this purchase at all, this is a pretty good album

Night Striker has a pretty great soundtrack, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

Whoever runs the libretro twitter account isn't having a great day, I guess.

VIDEO GAMES

I mean, he ain't wrong, making all this stuff closed-source/charging money/etc all kinda defeats the purpose of why emulation is cool

• Locked thread