Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
Does anyone know what happened to the allegations about Melania being an illegal immigrant? Last I heard she was going to give a press conference about it and then the issue was just ... forgotten. You'd think with all these attacks on WJC that Melania would be considered fair game now.

Edit: Thanks, Inferior Third Season. Must have missed that.

AMorePerfctGoonion fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

Does anyone know what happened to the allegations about Melania being an illegal immigrant? Last I heard she was going to give a press conference about it and then the issue was just ... forgotten. You'd think with all these attacks on WJC that Melania would be considered fair game now.
A lawyer issued some statement attesting to her visa history, and saying that everything was in order. I don't think anyone really dug much more into it after that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Is there any movement whatsoever within mainstream politics to end the electoral college and make POTUS elected by popular vote? Because it's plainly loving ridiculous that only a handful of states matter. And it doesn't look to me like it would benefit one party over the other (the way weekend voting would benefit the Democrats, say) so I don't see why there'd be a partisan deadlock about it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

With all of the legal precedent regarding publishers of classified documents being basically immune to US prosecution, regardless of whether or not they're US citizens, it's extremely likely that Assange has nothing to worry about from the US government. People who leak secrets are the ones who get hosed, not the people who publish them

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

freebooter posted:

Is there any movement whatsoever within mainstream politics to end the electoral college and make POTUS elected by popular vote? Because it's plainly loving ridiculous that only a handful of states matter. And it doesn't look to me like it would benefit one party over the other (the way weekend voting would benefit the Democrats, say) so I don't see why there'd be a partisan deadlock about it.

this sounds like AN ATTACK ON THE CONSTITUTION AND OUR FOUNDING FATHERS

I don't think anyone in mainstream politics is really interested in that. You'd basically have to pass and ratify an amendment and good luck doing that in today's political climate

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

freebooter posted:

It's outdated dumbness so uh yeah it ain't going nowhere.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

freebooter posted:

There is an agreement among several states to pool their electoral votes together and assign them to the winner of the popular vote once enough states have signed on to guarantee at least 270 electoral votes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

It's a relatively recent initiative that is slowly gaining traction but who knows how long it will take or if it will ultimately be upheld by the SCOTUS.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

freebooter posted:

Closest thing is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The most likely scenario at this point:

- More damning Clinton speech transcripts and emails emerge. Clinton loses all her support among white voters, and women (recognizing that Trump is no saint but he'll give them the greatest economic independence) move back to Trump.

- Biased MSM polling fails to reflect the growing Trump support, due to dated methodology that mostly ends up polling aging 60s counterculturites, and ignoring Trump's enormous base of pro-freedom, pro-gun, anti-globalist, anti-multiculti Millennials.

- Clinton's globalist banker backers and Bavarian intellectual donors release more faked "Trump" videos and order the MSM to doctor Trump rally video to make massive crowd numbers (20,000-135,000 depending on venue) seem smaller, while digitally adding audience to Clinton quote-unquote "rallies."

- Video emerges of Bill Clinton committing or confessing to a sex crime, with Hillary present and threatening the person taking video.

- At this point, the MSM scrambles desperately to justify it, saying it can't be a sex crime because it was homosexual, and anything goes because of gay "culture."

- Clinton supporters lie in public about their supposed "polling," but don't even bother to go vote. Those that try are turned away due to voter fraud.

- Trump wins, and Hillary Clinton is sent to prison, while Bill must register as a sex offender.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
:stare:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

freebooter posted:

It's one of those things that people are really upset about at the moment it has an actual consequence, and then proceed to not give a gently caress about until the next time it comes up.

Like, do you see anyone up in arms right now about superdelegates in the Democratic primary process? No, and you won't again for at least another four (probably eight) years, and even then only if it happens to be a close race. And that is something that can be changed by a small group of people just deciding to change it. Fixing the electoral college requires a constitutional amendment, and that's just not going to happen. If the 2000 election couldn't do it, nothing will.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

lozzle posted:

There is an agreement among several states to pool their electoral votes together and assign them to the winner of the popular vote once enough states have signed on to guarantee at least 270 electoral votes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

It's a relatively recent initiative that is slowly gaining traction but who knows how long it will take or if it will ultimately be upheld by the SCOTUS.

They would be all blue states, wouldn't they.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's one of those things that people are really upset about at the moment it has an actual consequence, and then proceed to not give a gently caress about until the next time it comes up.

Like, do you see anyone up in arms right now about superdelegates in the Democratic primary process? No, and you won't again for at least another four (probably eight) years, and even then only if it happens to be a close race. And that is something that can be changed by a small group of people just deciding to change it. Fixing the electoral college requires a constitutional amendment, and that's just not going to happen. If the 2000 election couldn't do it, nothing will.

To be honest the Republican primary has convinced me that superdelegates might be a good idea after all.

Also the DNC recently voted to bind most superdelegates to the results of state primaries so...maybe not the best example.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I love see /r/the_donald go through the stages of losing. trying to unskew the polls is where they are at now

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

freebooter posted:

They would be all blue states, wouldn't they.

Seems like a lot are, at least. California going proportional would be pretty bad for Democrats in particular, it seems.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Inferior Third Season posted:

Coming from a Westminster country the fact that you have a primary process at all is great, I think.

Whereas the presidential race seems like it should be a very straightforward popular vote and it baffles me that it's not and never was. The argument I always hear about it is that it makes sure smaller states and rural areas don't get drowned out, but, like - isn't that what every state getting two senators is for? And how is the current situation any better, where every other state gets drowned out by Ohio and Florida and Pennsylvania?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

im gay posted:

I love see /r/the_donald go through the stages of losing. trying to unskew the polls is where they are at now

Skewed/rigged polls are always my favorite election year idiocy. I'm glad the right still hasn't really caught on even after getting embarrassed in 2012. :allears:

lozzle fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 11, 2016

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I'm going to check out sex tape.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

freebooter posted:

Coming from a Westminster country the fact that you have a primary process at all is great, I think.

Whereas the presidential race seems like it should be a very straightforward popular vote and it baffles me that it's not and never was. The argument I always hear about it is that it makes sure smaller states and rural areas don't get drowned out, but, like - isn't that what every state getting two senators is for? And how is the current situation any better, where every other state gets drowned out by Ohio and Florida and Pennsylvania?
The Constitution doesn't really have a mechanism for a national popular vote on anything at all, much less the presidential election. This was mostly by design, as the Founding Fathers were mostly not fans of the whims of the will of the majority, and preferred that all political decisions be made by educated representatives on behalf of their constituents. It was probably also a logistical consideration, since tallying and reporting popular votes could have taken a very long time, and would have been subject to all sorts of voting fraud abuses.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

freebooter posted:

And how is the current situation any better, where every other state gets drowned out by Ohio and Florida and Pennsylvania?

That's my main complaint about the system - if you're voting against the grain in a staunch state it is very easy to feel like you don't have a voice at all. I'm from a staunch blue state, and while I was fine with it because I vote D it's easy for my parents and R friends to feel disaffected and bemoan the system every cycle.

But I just moved to a battleground state that looks to be going blue, so :frogin:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Few new national polls today:

USC/LAT is now +2 Trump (down 1 from yesterday)
The Times-Pycayune is +10 Clinton (was +8 before)
Morning Consult post-debate is +5 Clinton (was +4 pre-debate) and gives debate win to Clinton 42-28
Google Consumer Surveys is weird, 39-33 Clinton but with 20% undecided

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

- Clinton's globalist banker backers and Bavarian intellectual donors release more faked "Trump" videos and order the MSM to doctor Trump rally video to make massive crowd numbers (20,000-135,000 depending on venue) seem smaller, while digitally adding audience to Clinton quote-unquote "rallies."

(((Bavarian))) intellectual donors.

It is not enough to unskew the polls, the polls should be uncucked.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

freebooter posted:

That's basically right. The Constitution had to be ratified by the states, so naturally the smaller states demanded more power and influence over the federal government before they would sign on lest they get bullied around by the larger states. It's a theme that permeates our system of government. States get equal representation in the Senate, the electoral college gives smaller states a disproportionately large impact on the Presidential election, and the powers of the federal government are (theoretically) fairly limited. The Constitution replaced an even more state-friendly system of government under the Articles of Confederation, under which the central government was not even able to levy involuntary taxes, so the current system actually marks a significant improvement over our original idea.

lozzle fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 11, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

(((Bavarian))) intellectual donors.
Haha, I was hoping someone would catch that. I figured "Bavarian intellectual" isn't too much of a deep cut.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gimme dem PPP state polls. There has to be some soon right?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Roland Jones posted:

Seems like a lot are, at least. California going proportional would be pretty bad for Democrats in particular, it seems.

Under the compact we would have had a President Gore so I'm not sure I agree. :colbert:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

im gay posted:

I wouldn't. We are talking about a group of self-radicalized white supremacists. They will not go quietly.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Geostomp posted:

I wouldn't. We are talking about a group of self-radicalized white supremacists. They will not go quietly.

r/the_donald is mostly teenage edgelords who aren't even eligible to vote.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

greatn posted:

Gimme dem PPP state polls. There has to be some soon right?

They've usually only been polling a few states a week.

I wish there were tons of polls a day like there were in past years, I need my fix badly.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The actual subset of right wingers willing to go all terrorist is very, very small. They mostly talk tough and make gun manufacturer profits soar.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

The actual subset of right wingers willing to go all terrorist is very, very small. They mostly talk tough and make gun manufacturer profits soar.
Reactionaries prefer to react rather than act.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Another double digit poll, 49-38 Clinton, this time from The Atlantic/PRRI. I don't see them on 538 so dunno how reliable.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Basically I pity the fools who do not sell their soul and invest heavily in arms manufacturers 2 days before the election.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I suspect Chomskyan takes the same attitude my dad does to this, which is 1) Assange can't give in because as soon as he gets to Sweden without a guarantee there's no way anyone can prevent him getting Gitmo'd and 2) Of course Swedish officials can guarantee things, the law doesn't prevent politicians doing anything if they want to.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

canepazzo posted:

Another double digit poll, 49-38 Clinton, this time from The Atlantic/PRRI. I don't see them on 538 so dunno how reliable.

:fork:

Odd that it's not on 538 but according to their site:

quote:

All PRRI public opinion research is based on probability sampling to ensure that results are broadly representative of the population of interest. All PRRI studies include bilingual (English and Spanish) interviewing. Telephone studies are conducted by professional interviewers and include a high proportion of cell phone interviewing. PRRI provides public access to the raw data files of its surveys after an embargo period of one year.

If this is all true then it sounds legit. Wikipedia says they are a member of NCPP/AAPOR as well.

lozzle fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 11, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Haha, I was hoping someone would catch that. I figured "Bavarian intellectual" isn't too much of a deep cut.

The (((Bavarian Illuminati))) :tinfoil::hf::hitler:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Minimalist Program posted:

Basically I pity the fools who do not sell their soul and invest heavily in arms manufacturers 2 days before the election.

I don't think Satan would mind.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Minimalist Program posted:

Seriously. Obama has been very good for the gun industry as a sales driver, and Clinton would likely be more of the same "der comin' to git our guns!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

canepazzo posted:

The same poll - presumably using unchanged methodology - had C+6 post first debate/pre Igrab-Cuntra. 5 point shift seems in line with other polls.

• Locked thread