Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If anyone was interested in the OSR retroclone Samurai RPG, Kaigaku, he's put up a late backers form to buy the book through paypal here. If you want an idea of what you're getting into, he offers a basic version of the game here for free and public use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crossover from the Trad Games thread, as someone was asking about it: Spiel Meet Thread

Reusing the old thread as it has useful information like "Where is the Atrium?"

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

This guy's going to be the next Marvel or Lord of the Rings, and it's all gonna start from a Hearthstone ripoff. The ambition here makes the Far West transmedia empire look positively modest.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What is with people and transmedia pitches. Your average fan doesn't give a poo poo.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Has trying to create a multimedia franchise from the outset ever succeeded?... or at very least, only produced something relatively forgettable, like .Hack or whatever?

I mean, first you make the popular thing, then you expand it, you don't take the unpopular thing and try and Field of Dreams that poo poo.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Wasn't Yugioh designed to be transmedia from the beginning?

I even recall recieving a mail flier about thr tv show debuting with the card game launch.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Has trying to create a multimedia franchise from the outset ever succeeded?... or at very least, only produced something relatively forgettable, like .Hack or whatever?

The Matrix and all those Hanna barbera cartoons did pretty well.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Helical Nightmares posted:

I even recall recieving a mail flier about thr tv show debuting with the card game launch.

No, it started as a manga. The card game chapter in it just got really, really popular so they expanded on it with an anime focused on just that, as well as the physical card game.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Helical Nightmares posted:

like senrath said, yu-gi-oh was originally just a manga about a hyper competitive pharoah possessing a boy to play any kind of game of chance. iirc there's even a bit where they do an arc around russian roulette. The magic: the gathering children's card game arc was so popular they revisited it a few times, then decided to license the property for a card game and port the anime to the west, which became card-focused after the first season.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

senrath posted:

No, it started as a manga. The card game chapter in it just got really, really popular so they expanded on it with an anime focused on just that, as well as the physical card game.

And it really shows, as a lot of the rules for the card game are/were terrible and came directly from adapting a storyline that cared more about drama than coherent rules (take, for example, the fact that if a player managed to mill their deck enough to put out Exodia, they instantly won, even if the other player was one turn away from victory otherwise).

Japan has decent luck with multimedia franchises, particularly their bigger game developers (Sega, Bandai Namco, Nintendo, Square Enix), but even they tend to a 'wait and see' approach instead of just going "It'll be a card game, and a web app, and a cartoon, and..." right out the gate. They might draw up plans for what to do if something takes off in one field (like how Nintendo pushed the Pokemon anime early in the US), but aside from merchandising (toys, figures, model kits, cell phone doodads, etc) you rarely see something that starts as multiple things.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Say what you will about the insanity of that KS, it has some fantastic art. Unless they stole it from somewhere, in which case they have excellent taste in the art they steal.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
That guy's KS video starts with an unironic "Oh hi, didn't see you there" and this is worse than anything else in it imo

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

EverettLO posted:

This guy's going to be the next Marvel or Lord of the Rings, and it's all gonna start from a Hearthstone ripoff. The ambition here makes the Far West transmedia empire look positively modest.

Wow, most clones try to change up a few things. The board looks identical, and the example cards are just renamed hearthstone cards with abilities, costs, strength and life identical...

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Serf posted:

Say what you will about the insanity of that KS, it has some fantastic art. Unless they stole it from somewhere, in which case they have excellent taste in the art they steal.

A quick look into a couple of the pieces indicates that they weren't made for Temple Wars, but do come from the company they say they've hired to do their art.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Alright, it is a hearthstone rip off and they're not afraid to admit it but

Right down to the stat allocation and mana cost, jeepers.

posted:

Classes: There are twelve classes: Deva // Transcendent // Druid //Hunter // Mage // Paladin // Priest // Rogue // Shaman // Warlock // Warrior
Those are 11 classes and 9 of them are exactly the classes from hearthstone :psyduck:
I wasn't expecting a heartbreaker for hearthstone, but I guess that's where we are.
The art is nice though!
edit: except, you know the art isn't even for this thing :negative:

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 11, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh hey, I saw you there watching me, you dirty boy. *Winks at the camera*

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

~ Think & Play ~ Read ~ Visualize ~ Listen ~ Watch ~ Feel ~ Learn ~ Imagine ~

I'm honestly amazed that this isn't a "First Created Zero Backed" situation.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

This whole "look how we're different from hearthstone!" of course, doesn't explain any mechanical differences (aside from CHESS-LIKE APPEAL :black101: ) but instead lists a bunch of things grumpy hearthstone players like me would want, straight up lifting the terminology.
edit: I made a picture smaller

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Why is a Hindu god being used as a monster/minion?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Orientalism.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

FRINGE posted:

Why is a Hindu god being used as a monster/minion?

The guy running the KS is almost certainly of Hindu descent. It's a bit like a Scandinavian guy making Baldr a card in his Norse mythology themed card game. It'll probably offend some religious folks, and I certainly couldn't get away with it as a white dude, but being of the background in question gives you some license to do that sort of thing.

I guess the closest analogous thing I could do is make the Holy Spirit or the angel Gabriel a card in a Christian mythology themed card game.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 11, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jimbozig posted:

The guy running the KS is almost certainly of Hindu descent. It's a bit like a Scandinavian guy making Baldr a card in his Norse mythology themed card game. It'll probably offend some religious folks, and I certainly couldn't get away with it as a white dude, but being of the background in question gives you some license to do that sort of thing.

I guess the closest analogous thing I could do is make the Holy Spirit or the angel Gabriel a card in a Christian mythology themed card game.

I mean, Redemption exists and was pretty popular for a while. You can still find it at a lot of Christian bookstores and places like that.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Hmm.

quote:

Serial entrepreneur Rohit Gaur is fueled by his passion of building brands, and the core of any great brand is story. He is the founder of Artisna.com - the artisan marketplace™, Perfumora.com - the scents marketplace™, and other tech startups.

Even more dire is hes from New Jersey.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I mean, Redemption exists and was pretty popular for a while. You can still find it at a lot of Christian bookstores and places like that.
Heresy was better. :colbert:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Dungeon Degenerates - Hand of Doom is a low-brow, punk 'dark fantasy' board game that looks pretty great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
MY EYES

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cyberia posted:

looks pretty great.

No seriously that makes my eyes want to bleed that does not look great

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

No seriously that makes my eyes want to bleed that does not look great

I guess it's an acquired taste? I'm a fan of their Goblinko work and low-brow style in general but I know it's not for everybody.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
They had a cool ad up in a pizza place I went to recently. Honestly the color palette reminds me of DUNGEON.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I bet it would be fantastic played in a room with a black light on.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
So I can only feel the orchestral soundtrack? I can't listen to it?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

im interested in how they intend to get a feature-length animation of their horrible ideas made by a Japanese animation studio out of that 1 million stretch goal

well, not really interested, i just don't think it's possible

e: it's not as it turns out, for some reason they've limited every pledge level so they were never going to get more than about 230,000 if they sold out

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 11, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

cyberia posted:

Dungeon Degenerates - Hand of Doom is a low-brow, punk 'dark fantasy' board game that looks pretty great.

I love the artwork

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

mike12345 posted:

I love the artwork

same

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Huh. So this is what Planet Caravan would look like.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

EverettLO posted:

I feel like I should back this hard cause it'll either never get funded or I'll be on the ground floor of the next huge media empire.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

im interested in how they intend to get a feature-length animation of their horrible ideas made by a Japanese animation studio out of that 1 million stretch goal

well, not really interested, i just don't think it's possible

e: it's not as it turns out, for some reason they've limited every pledge level so they were never going to get more than about 230,000 if they sold out

Considering that it took Trigger half a million to make an hour long film it's not entirely unreasonable, if they already had industry contacts who were enthused about his project (which I'm guessing they don't).

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

The Lazer Ryderz Kickstarter is live!
And oh my god, the box is cooler then I thought it'd be.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Baron Snow posted:

The Lazer Ryderz Kickstarter is live!
And oh my god, the box is cooler then I thought it'd be.

Gonna back this so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately the shipping is more than the game for me so I'll want to wait for retail. :shrug: