Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've got $14.99 burning a hole in my Steam wallet since returning Mad Games Tycoon, any recommendations for a feel-good game?

Euro Truck 2 is on sale, Majesty Gold is on sale, Rymdresa is on sale...

Euro Truck 2 is a fantastically chill trucking game that's surprisingly addictive, and you should check it out!

Majesty Gold is a classic goofy game where you hire heroes to defend your kingdom and I can't describe it, please play it. It's better than the second game and really, really worth your time.

Rymdresa is...weird. You fly around dodging asteroids and looking for poetry. It's fantastically ambient and lonely and hard, and it's not..feel-good, but I wanted to mention it because it's the only game I've ever seen that rewards you with poetry. I wish more games did, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Skeezy posted:

Robot Golf is good.

It's actually kind of poo poo but I like it anyway

Really it's impressive from coming from such a small crew tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

To be fair, the fact that disgruntled customers were tracking down their physical address to post pictures of it to the internet is a pretty good argument for going into hiding :v:

they told everyone where their office was

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CrashCat posted:

It's actually kind of poo poo but I like it anyway

Really it's impressive from coming from such a small crew tho

I enjoyed Roundabout as a shameless clone of Kuru Kuru Kururin with a wacky FMV aesthetic but 100ft Robot Golf gives me pause because the idea of making golf even more slow by turning all the players into giant robots sounds like the kind of thing that should have never made it past the planning stages.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Guy Mann posted:

I enjoyed Roundabout as a shameless clone of Kuru Kuru Kururin with a wacky FMV aesthetic but 100ft Robot Golf gives me pause because the idea of making golf even more slow by turning all the players into giant robots sounds like the kind of thing that should have never made it past the planning stages.
Well, they play simultaneously so that makes it a bit faster. Also one of them has a skateboard if you can't stand walking. Really I think the slow ball travel is there so you have time to blow poo poo up and push it around to gently caress with people

Still if you're looking for correctness or balance or anything resembling sanity this is probably the wrong game

... and the planning stage was an in-joke from a Let's Play

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Euro Truck 2 is on sale, Majesty Gold is on sale, Rymdresa is on sale...

Euro Truck 2 is a fantastically chill trucking game that's surprisingly addictive, and you should check it out!

Majesty Gold is a classic goofy game where you hire heroes to defend your kingdom and I can't describe it, please play it. It's better than the second game and really, really worth your time.

Rymdresa is...weird. You fly around dodging asteroids and looking for poetry. It's fantastically ambient and lonely and hard, and it's not..feel-good, but I wanted to mention it because it's the only game I've ever seen that rewards you with poetry. I wish more games did, honestly.

I already own Euro Truck and none of your other suggestions sound compelling, sorry.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lizard Wizard posted:

I already own Euro Truck and none of your other suggestions sound compelling, sorry.

Nah, that's okay. Just thought I'd toss out what's on sale and I like, so. :shrug:

Good luck figuring out what you want! I'd say Stardew Valley, but you can't buy the Humble Monthly bundle with steamdollars.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I watched King of Kong and Indie Divas: The Movie yeaterday. Are there any other good videogame documentarys?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

StrixNebulosa posted:

This sounds really neat. Putting it on my wishlist.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

why is beetle adventure racing not brought up more in the conversation of "good n64/PS1 racing games" discussion because it has aged well and is still fun and cool

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i like cool student games, this is a 15 minute one called skybolt zack(or maybe jack? whatever)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So I could've sworn I heard a smartphone Lost Vikings game was coming out but googling it, that was apparently wishful thinking. I'd love to play as those dudes again with the conveniences of modern game design.

Check out this sweet box art I found of the JP version of the original game, tho.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

So I could've sworn I heard a smartphone Lost Vikings game was coming out but googling it, that was apparently wishful thinking. I'd love to play as those dudes again with the conveniences of modern game design.

Check out this sweet box art I found of the JP version of the original game, tho.

I'm the red guy in the lower left.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I said come in! posted:

Star Citizen's single player mode, Squadron 42 has been delayed indefinitely. :lol: This comes directly from Chris Robert himself.
Haha but this was expected.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

My WiiU screen broke last night. Little dent in it is causing the touch screen to freak out. So instead of Paper Mario I played Stardew Valley.

I hate fishing and still managed to spend two hours focusing solely on it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

discount cathouse posted:

I watched King of Kong and Indie Divas: The Movie yeaterday. Are there any other good videogame documentarys?

Commercial Breaks, about Imagine and Ocean, 30 minutes long. it's like a time capsule, highly recommended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt9BsZCifgU

Charlie Brooker's special. Filled with stuff you probably know but it's fun and funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wN4IIDW1o

King of Chinatown, about Justin Wong and the fighting game community. It's really about his manager whose last name is Triforce and walks around with a power glove. Not really that good of a doc and the music is real bad, but the footage is really fascinating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauRL3La9jc

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Documentaries about games, video or otherwise are surprisingly few. You would expect a way higher number of them. And the offerings you do get are not typically that great.

Word Wars is really boring.

They are making a documentary out of the fantastic Console Wars book about Tom Kalinske. I look forward to that and hope it's good.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That reminds me of Video Games: The Movie.
It was terrible, it's an hour and a half of sorta-celebrities going "whoo VIDEO GAMES!!" and nothing else.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Better watch GDC talks instead. Lately I watched Romero's The Early Days of id Software talk and it's great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2MIpi8pIvY

"We made 28 games in 5.5 years..." :stare:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Golden Goat posted:

That reminds me of Video Games: The Movie.
It was terrible, it's an hour and a half of sorta-celebrities going "whoo VIDEO GAMES!!" and nothing else.

Yeah, the reason why most video game books and movies are bad is they focus players experiences with games. Which makes sense, due to the nature of games. While how systems affect players can be interesting, most people aren't going to provide a good account as to why it does.

I find the opposite relationship, how the developers affect their systems, more fascinating but it's barely ever the focus.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

Better watch GDC talks instead.

i like GDC talks a lot, some of them at least.
The Monument Valley one was harrowing af because you can tell they could have easily made a way better game but they detail their hosed up decisioin making process on why they dumbed it down.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Not a GDC talk and not really known for being a video game guy but here is garfield's talk about luck in games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5Hf7uOu-o

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Is there just a "books, talks, and documentaries about video games" thread?

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

diggin' in the carts is a series about japanese video game music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8z8-SKg3WU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

CJacobs posted:

* 'Lockdown' echoes faintly in the distance* :911:

Lockdown is used as the credits theme :allears:

https://youtu.be/WeeHypnf8cE

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Not a GDC talk and not really known for being a video game guy but here is garfield's talk about luck in games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5Hf7uOu-o

Dude is so fuckin smart, i wish he kept pumping out new games forever .

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember there being a pretty awkward documentary on youtube made about some lper, I think his name was nintendocaprisun. Just a whole documentary about him.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

lmao Thumper doesn't have lag calibration and some guy is streaming it with lag because he has to use two computers for his capture setup

he also thinks there's no calibration because it didn't get a stretch goal on a Kickstarter so I think he may be full of poo poo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've got a 13" macbook pro 2015 and a 28" 4k monitor What games will run well at 4k on this setup? Wanna see what the screen is cabable of.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Where the gently caress is the NX

Quest For Glory II posted:

i like cool student games, this is a 15 minute one called skybolt zack(or maybe jack? whatever)

This looks good

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I remember there being a pretty awkward documentary on youtube made about some lper, I think his name was nintendocaprisun. Just a whole documentary about him.

Is this it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLGQL0k-UAs

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As a filthy casual, if I buy an Xbox One S I'm generally going to enjoy it, yeah? I've not owned a current gen console (excluding my old Wii U) and I have a big OLED screen so the UHD part really sells it over the PS4 Pro. Plus I have more friends on Xbox Live and I've always preferred Xbox controllers. Without doing a side by side comparison, I'm not going to care about PS4P performance being better... I hope?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The patching system is infinitely worse and the Bone doesn't have any good exclusives while PS4 has Bloodborne but otherwise the libraries are 90% indentical. I've no idea how bad the performance differences are to someone who doesn't post in the sharktank thread are though.
Also the S is just the normal Bone but smaller and a UHD player, it doesn't have improved performance like the Pro will.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That all actually sounds fine to me. Added HDR should be pretty enough and there's nothing I'm that bothered about exclusives wise on the Sony platform to be honest. I'm really keen on Forza Horizon 3 as long as it's not so much like normal Forza where I just crash into the walls straightaway. If it plays close enough to Most Wanted or Paradise I'll be thrilled. Just sucks there's no bundle for it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

You want to check out this dudes youtube channel:
The Gaming Historian

A couple of highlights are Nintendo vs Video Game Rentals, The Creation of the ESRB, and The Power Glove. The History of Mario 2 is also really good since it covers a bunch of ground most people skip over.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 11, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

lets hang out posted:

The water stages were super hard

Yeah, the fact that your health was draining constantly sucked. That game had good music tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqMnQCLRWNo

Yeah

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

The patching system is infinitely worse and the Bone doesn't have any good exclusives while PS4 has Bloodborne but otherwise the libraries are 90% indentical. I've no idea how bad the performance differences are to someone who doesn't post in the sharktank thread are though.
Also the S is just the normal Bone but smaller and a UHD player, it doesn't have improved performance like the Pro will.

i almost want an xbox one just for forza horizon, honestly. there's really nothing even close on PS4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Isn't 3 on PC anyway?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Gears of W4R is the only game I'm sad I can't play on ps4, but I would never get a bone just to play it. I got a ps4 for Bloodborne and it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot that. I don't have one I could play it on though

• Locked thread