Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Dogcow posted:

Can you post the outputted CSS?

code:
.fixed-nav ul li:last-child {
    border-left: 1px solid #cccccc;
}

<ul>
  <a data-scroll="" href="#home-page"><li>Home</li></a>
  <a data-scroll="" href="#filter-page"><li>Portfolio</li></a>
  <a data-scroll="" href="#about-page"><li>About</li></a>
  <a data-scroll="" href="#skills-page"><li>Skills</li></a>
</ul>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

huhu posted:

code:

.fixed-nav ul li:last-child {
    border-left: 1px solid #cccccc;
}

<ul>
  <a data-scroll="" href="#home-page"><li>Home</li></a>
  <a data-scroll="" href="#filter-page"><li>Portfolio</li></a>
  <a data-scroll="" href="#about-page"><li>About</li></a>
  <a data-scroll="" href="#skills-page"><li>Skills</li></a>
</ul>

You've got the list item tag and the anchor tag reversed, the li should be on the outside and the a on the inside.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Dogcow posted:

You've got the list item tag and the anchor tag reversed, the li should be on the outside and the a on the inside.

I could have sworn I read recently that it's now acceptable to wrap li tags in a tags. Guess not. That fixed it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Even if it's acceptable it's wrong in terms of your CSS. You'd want the CSS to read: ul a:last-child li to target the final li.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

huhu posted:

I could have sworn I read recently that it's now acceptable to wrap li tags in a tags. Guess not. That fixed it.

Every `li` in your markup is the last-child within its parent `a` tag

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Hi, does anyone have experience with or suggestions for measuring stuff like load times and other user-related metrics in the browser (to send back to the server for analysis)? I'm interested in any libraries, platforms, roll-your-own techniques or whatever you've got.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You mean something like GT Metrix or something like analytics' speed tools?

well why not fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 6, 2016

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I have a collection of projects I want to filter through on a webpage. Currently I just have one filter for project category but was thinking of other things like which tools were used to build it, etc. All this data is currently stored in a database and I'm using Django to insert each project with its categories inserted as classes. Would this be the best way to have multiple filters setup with jQuery?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dependency hell might suck but it's better than unorganized jQuery callbacks randomly peppered throughout server side templates.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Look at the stateofjs report, it's showing that hardly anyone uses Typescript with React, but I thought it was required for React to do its JSX stuff :psyduck:

I really don't understand this world.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

COOL CORN posted:

Look at the stateofjs report, it's showing that hardly anyone uses Typescript with React, but I thought it was required for React to do its JSX stuff :psyduck:

I really don't understand this world.

You're thinking of Angular 2. JSX is more of a js/html mish mash.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HaB posted:

You're thinking of Angular 2. JSX is more of a js/html mish mash.

Maybe you're right. Phew, that's one less thing I have to consider if I want to switch to React!

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most people use Babel for jsx syntax. You can also use typescript to use it (.tsx files) or just avoid jsx and write your react components with plain ol' functions

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

We're using a lot of React and Typescript at my new work, and I'm really digging Typescript so far. I also really like C#, so it's not that surprising.

Flat Daddy posted:

just avoid jsx and write your react components with plain ol' functions

Why would you ever do that to yourself?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Anyone using Typescript and Vue 2.0? The one thing I really liked about working with Angular 2 was TS so I'm hoping it's not too much of a pain to keep using TS with Vue.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

gmq posted:

Anyone using Typescript and Vue 2.0? The one thing I really liked about working with Angular 2 was TS so I'm hoping it's not too much of a pain to keep using TS with Vue.

According to the official Vue 2.0 announcement:

Evan You posted:

...vue core, vue-router and vuex 2.0 all have TypeScript typings shipped in the npm packages

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

well why not posted:

You mean something like GT Metrix or something like analytics' speed tools?

Yes, anything that could reveal useful metrics.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Is there a way to automatically install typings and webpack somehow project-locally with npm?

Currently, after cloning, my project requires npm install, typings install, webpack

Or do I just make a readme file that states that typings and webpack must be installed?

im sorry if im doing this wrong. it is difficult to write

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Wheany posted:

Is there a way to automatically install typings and webpack somehow project-locally with npm?

Currently, after cloning, my project requires npm install, typings install, webpack

Or do I just make a readme file that states that typings and webpack must be installed?

Your question is a bit confusing, but if all your dependencies are in your package file, a single 'npm install' will install them all. If you mean you want to skip that step, then that's something else entirely.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Lumpy posted:

Your question is a bit confusing, but if all your dependencies are in your package file, a single 'npm install' will install them all. If you mean you want to skip that step, then that's something else entirely.

Like I said upthread, I followed https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/react-&-webpack.html

After doing the tutorial, I converted an existing toy project to the structure.
It worked fine on the same computer, but then I cloned the repository to another computer and npm install works fine, but webpack doesn't work (because it's not installed). Also npm build does nothing.
After I run npm install webpack -g webpack complains "Could not load Typescript. Try installing with `npm install typescript`"
I install typescript and webpack complains that "A file specified in tsconfig.json could not be found". Typings is not installed either, so I have to install that (npm install typings -g) to run typings install
After I've done all that, webpack works just fine and builds my project under dist/.

How do I fix?
Specifically: How should a node project work?
What is the expected procedure for a freshly cloned project? just node install && node build ? (This is a toy project with static html, css, javascript and images. No server-side code, no ajax.)
If so, how do I get from
code:
git clone whatever
npm install
npm install typescript
npm install typings -g
typings install
npm install webpack -g
webpack
to the "node way"

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Wheany posted:

You can install typings, webpack, etc. locally, and run typings install in the postinstall script. I grabbed the sample React & Webpack project and reworked it to install everything locally:

https://github.com/oepn/typescript-local-test

EDIT: So that means your install process is down to:
code:
git clone whatever
npm install

Depressing Box fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 8, 2016

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Wheany posted:

Like I said upthread, I followed https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/react-&-webpack.html

After doing the tutorial, I converted an existing toy project to the structure.
It worked fine on the same computer, but then I cloned the repository to another computer and npm install works fine, but webpack doesn't work (because it's not installed). Also npm build does nothing.
After I run npm install webpack -g webpack complains "Could not load Typescript. Try installing with `npm install typescript`"
I install typescript and webpack complains that "A file specified in tsconfig.json could not be found". Typings is not installed either, so I have to install that (npm install typings -g) to run typings install
After I've done all that, webpack works just fine and builds my project under dist/.

How do I fix?
Specifically: How should a node project work?
What is the expected procedure for a freshly cloned project? just node install && node build ? (This is a toy project with static html, css, javascript and images. No server-side code, no ajax.)
If so, how do I get from
code:
git clone whatever
npm install
npm install typescript
npm install typings -g
typings install
npm install webpack -g
webpack
to the "node way"

The -g is global, so that is one issue, as that won't get picked up by npm install. If your goal is use by others, do local installs (no -g) flag and make sure you add --save or --save-dev so the dependencies are added to your package file. If there is other configuration after that (I don't use typescript/ typing) you can use an npm script to run whatever, so users only need 'npm install; npm your-command'

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I will try to adapt that later. Thanks.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Okay, tried Depressing Box's method and while npm install works, webpack and npm build don't work.

This is on Windows 10, if that makes any difference.

M31
Jun 12, 2012
You need to run 'npm run build', as 'npm build' is an internal NPM command. Also, typings is deprecated as of Typescript 2, so maybe you don't even need it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

M31 posted:

'npm run build'

Oooh.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Firebase question!

In an app, you have Users, who can create Things. A User can see and edit their own Things. A User can also decide to let OtherUser view / edit some of their Things. I have the rules set up to allow this, so accessing data is not a problem, but this is: How does OtherUser see a list of "Things Shared With Me"?

My initial stab at how to structure this looks like so:

code:
/users/$user_id: {
    things: {
        $thing_id: { .... },
    },
    shares:  {
        $thing_id: {
            $other_user_id: true,
        },
    }
}
And that makes it easy to grant permission to $thing_id based on $other_user_id existing in the appropriate structure. What I want is "get me a list of $thing_ids in shares where my $user_id exists as a key inside". I'm thinking that maybe "shares" has to live outside the individual user space, but I'm still going to have that problem. The other option I'm seeing is flipping "shares" around, so that it's *writable* by anyone (but that seems like a security problem?) and when User shares, he actually writes in OtherUsers share list. That seems like it gets me the behavior I want: you simply look at your own "shares" list and that's it, but how do I handle $user_id then? Do I key off email address and access that via auth? The auth.token.email isn't guaranteed to be there, or is there some way to get the auth.uid of other users? :ohdear:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Are Gulp 4 / React Hot Loader 3 / Webpack 2 ever going stable? I can't suss out what the hold up is from browsing Github PRs/etc. and I'm hoping someone can chime in that has actually been following the status of these.

Also, it's awfully nice of gaearon to make RHL 3 beta the default npm version when it doesn't work with React Router and documentation is a mess.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Lumpy posted:

Firebase question!

In an app, you have Users, who can create Things. A User can see and edit their own Things. A User can also decide to let OtherUser view / edit some of their Things. I have the rules set up to allow this, so accessing data is not a problem, but this is: How does OtherUser see a list of "Things Shared With Me"?

My initial stab at how to structure this looks like so:

code:
/users/$user_id: {
    things: {
        $thing_id: { .... },
    },
    shares:  {
        $thing_id: {
            $other_user_id: true,
        },
    }
}
And that makes it easy to grant permission to $thing_id based on $other_user_id existing in the appropriate structure. What I want is "get me a list of $thing_ids in shares where my $user_id exists as a key inside". I'm thinking that maybe "shares" has to live outside the individual user space, but I'm still going to have that problem. The other option I'm seeing is flipping "shares" around, so that it's *writable* by anyone (but that seems like a security problem?) and when User shares, he actually writes in OtherUsers share list. That seems like it gets me the behavior I want: you simply look at your own "shares" list and that's it, but how do I handle $user_id then? Do I key off email address and access that via auth? The auth.token.email isn't guaranteed to be there, or is there some way to get the auth.uid of other users? :ohdear:

user_id isn't stored with the thing? Seems like it ought to be, if a user created thing. Wouldn't you ever want to know who created it?

If so - that solves your problem, and go with your second idea: each user keeps a list of what has been shared with them. If each thing has the creator_id stored with it - bam.

Edit: to expound a bit - it's not a security problem. I would only allow adding to the list, with a flag to revoke sharing permission. And a user can only update an item if the creator_id matches their user_id. So something like:

code:
var thing = {id: 1, creator_id: 1, data: 'look at my thing'};

shareThing(thingId, otherUserId, userId, <revoke> (optional));

// if (id != creatorId)  { // FAIL }
// if (revoke) {
//     if(thing already shared) { set shared to false }
//     else { do nothing }
//
// otherwise:  add thing if it doesn't exist in otherUser's share list, set shared property to true if it does
//
With the addition of a timestamp, you have the ability to keep a record of when something was last shared - which might be useful.

HaB fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 10, 2016

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

HaB posted:

user_id isn't stored with the thing? Seems like it ought to be, if a user created thing. Wouldn't you ever want to know who created it?

If so - that solves your problem, and go with your second idea: each user keeps a list of what has been shared with them. If each thing has the creator_id stored with it - bam.

Edit: to expound a bit - it's not a security problem. I would only allow adding to the list, with a flag to revoke sharing permission. And a user can only update an item if the creator_id matches their user_id. So something like:

code:
var thing = {id: 1, creator_id: 1, data: 'look at my thing'};

shareThing(thingId, otherUserId, userId, <revoke> (optional));

// if (id != creatorId)  { // FAIL }
// if (revoke) {
//     if(thing already shared) { set shared to false }
//     else { do nothing }
//
// otherwise:  add thing if it doesn't exist in otherUser's share list, set shared property to true if it does
//
With the addition of a timestamp, you have the ability to keep a record of when something was last shared - which might be useful.

I know the $user_id of who created the thing. But how does that user know the $user_id of the user with the email "fart@poo.com" to create the share?

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Helicity posted:

Are Gulp 4 / React Hot Loader 3 / Webpack 2 ever going stable? I can't suss out what the hold up is from browsing Github PRs/etc. and I'm hoping someone can chime in that has actually been following the status of these.

Also, it's awfully nice of gaearon to make RHL 3 beta the default npm version when it doesn't work with React Router and documentation is a mess.

Webpack 2 seems like it's getting pretty close:

https://twitter.com/TheLarkInn/status/785486480781094912

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Depressing Box posted:

Webpack 2 seems like it's getting pretty close:

That's awesome. I asked my new team how they felt about Gulp and all of them are frustrated with the direction it's gone (hasn't gone) since the original maintainer left the project. Looks like we're just rocking Webpack 2 and then writing npm/bash scripts for anything else we need.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lumpy posted:

I know the $user_id of who created the thing. But how does that user know the $user_id of the user with the email "fart@poo.com" to create the share?

So, after looking around and reading far too many SO answers, I determined I basically have to store user data myself in the DB and use that as a way to do email based lookups. So when a user logs in, if they have an email, I set a /userList/$sanitized_email: {uid: $uid} type thing and then can do matching based on that. Definitely a mind-bending experience after only using RDBS to date!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Lumpy posted:

So, after looking around and reading far too many SO answers, I determined I basically have to store user data myself in the DB and use that as a way to do email based lookups. So when a user logs in, if they have an email, I set a /userList/$sanitized_email: {uid: $uid} type thing and then can do matching based on that. Definitely a mind-bending experience after only using RDBS to date!

Oh my bad. I figured you were doing this anyway, so like - when a user logged in, you had their user_id on-hand, and could also look up another user's id the same way.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Oh, good thing I haven't fully learned Webpack yet since I'm sure it's completely useless now. Yay Front-end development!

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

The Merkinman posted:

Oh, good thing I haven't fully learned Webpack yet since I'm sure it's completely useless now. Yay Front-end development!

Part of the reason they're working so hard on the new version is to make it easier to understand, with better documentation and plenty of examples. They feel your pain.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

HaB posted:

Oh my bad. I figured you were doing this anyway, so like - when a user logged in, you had their user_id on-hand, and could also look up another user's id the same way.

No worries, and I appreciate your help! I went to Art School, so my baseline competence is far below the norm.... you should see my figure drawing though!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Lumpy posted:

No worries, and I appreciate your help! I went to Art School, so my baseline competence is far below the norm.... you should see my figure drawing though!

BFA programmers :hfive:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hahaha if you think most programmers actually went to school for programming. Out of four of us in my group, only one did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The Merkinman posted:

Just wait a few weeks for the Next Big Thing, again.