Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Can we rewind just a second to that crazy letter to some newspaper about Wonder Woman, but why are the LGBTQ community being blamed for ruining Captain America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just finished the latest Superman issue. So they're on the island from the beginning of New Frontier? Is that in universe for rebirth? Or did they dimension hop?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They are on an island fighting dinosaurs and Krypto has a vore fetish. Who cares how or why, it's awesome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Just finished the latest Superman issue. So they're on the island from the beginning of New Frontier? Is that in universe for rebirth? Or did they dimension hop?

You read it. Nothing was explained beyond a 'crazy dream' absorbed crystals and dog spit, but...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mentioned in the Marvel thread that I really enjoyed the first issue of Champions. What DC comics should I try that are similar? I guess Teen Titans is an obvious one. What else? I have heard Supergirl's first issue was good.

(Occurs to me that unlike Marvel, I've never followed any DC series in single issues - I've only ever read them in collections.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I mentioned in the Marvel thread that I really enjoyed the first issue of Champions. What DC comics should I try that are similar? I guess Teen Titans is an obvious one. What else? I have heard Supergirl's first issue was good.

(Occurs to me that unlike Marvel, I've never followed any DC series in single issues - I've only ever read them in collections.)

Yound justice, impulse are great starts

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Champions is probably Marvel's best attempt at making Teen Titans, so yeah, Teen Titans is a good way to go, though I have zero idea if the current series is any good. If you're looking for older stuff, there's Young Justice (though it's probably a touch goofier than Champions seems like it will be). You should definitely check out Impulse and the concurrent Flash series of the time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Read Superman, it's a very good book, I'd also recommend the new Batman. I've heard good things for both Green Lanterns and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corp. While I don't really think Teen Titans was all that great. Be on the look out for Super Sons though, the crossover title between Damian Wayne and Jon Kent.

EDIT: Of the current titles anyway, you should definitely look into DC's backlog, and like others have said, the ORIGINAL Young Justice and Impulse

Oh, and I personally recommend reading Milestones Static and Icon.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 11, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Try the last Robin series, Gotham Academy, We Are Robin and the current Superman for some good modern young character stuff.
Though the new TT is really new, I'd say the best thing in years on that front were Jeff Lemire's two out of continuity Teen Titans: Earth One graphic novels.

e: The current Green Arrow also has a good young hero with his sister.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 11, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Considering Impulse is written by the same guy (Waid) at the apex of his career and Young Justice basically is 1/3rd a follow up to it by another great writer those are the correct choices.

BKV's Runaways is the best teen superhero/cape book ever, though it's a bit different in theme.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've always been dead keen on trying Young Justice but I don't think it's been collected and I don't have an account on any digital service.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At least some of it has been collected, but it's not in print as far as I can tell.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've always been dead keen on trying Young Justice but I don't think it's been collected and I don't have an account on any digital service.

Geoff Johns' Teen Titans is collected and is good, if worse than the other suggestions here. On the bright side you'll miss out on a lot of why it gets some animosity if you start with it.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 11, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Geoff Johns' Teen Titans is collected and is good, if worse than the other suggestions here. On the bright side you'll miss out on a lot of why it gets some animosity if you start with it.

I've read it. Why does it get animosity?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Young Justice was cancelled for it, and they changed some characters a lot (Bart) in ways that really did not make sense. Superboy also had his origin changed based off an idea that Johns had in the past, and it was much darker than Young Justice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It changed at least two characters pretty fundamentally. And spent way too long on EVIL GENES.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'm a big fan of that series - it and JSA (also by Johns) and to an extent Infinite Crisis were what got me into DC back in 2004-2005 or so. Having learned about the YJ characters and how they were changed, I appreciate why Johns's run upset people (particularly Impulse fans), but since I had neither knowledge of nor interest in those characters when I read it, it didn't affect my enjoyment of the run.

As discussed previously (either here or elsewhere) it has a post-Identity Crisis use of Dr Light that's actually pretty good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That was me that brought up Doctor Light's actual decent use in that run. Johns' Teen Titans is great if you read it for the older Titans characters and don't have that much interest in the Young Justice characters. I personally found Young Justice difficult to really get into because I didn't like the art, but I have to admit that Johns didn't use those characters very well in Teen Titans. I think the other major problem is that it gets swamped in event tie-ins toward the end of his run, and Johns left before all of his plans came to fruition, leaving a lot of characters in unsatisfying positions that none of the later writers used all that well (Starfire just suddenly leaves halfway through and I don't think she ever got used all that well outside of 52, Beast Boy and Raven's entire characters pretty much shift to focus entirely on their relationship with each other, making a romance I really liked incredibly frustrating).

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

bobkatt013 posted:

Young Justice was cancelled for it, and they changed some characters a lot (Bart) in ways that really did not make sense. Superboy also had his origin changed based off an idea that Johns had in the past, and it was much darker than Young Justice.

Oh yea I knew about the Superboy fan fiction stuff that was awful. I remember being bothered with the explantation on why Impulse would become Kid Flash ("I hate everything about you wally but I'm going to assume your old identity to prove I'm better than you! But really just because Geoff & DC want to wank off silver age fans").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Impulse "growing up" and becoming Kid Flash could certainly have been a good character arc for him, but I think Johns does it in the space of about an issue (Slade kneecaps him so he reads every book in the library at super speed and starts wearing Wally's old Kid Flash suit, and that's it).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That's not it. His first appearance in the series has him getting talked down to by Wally and Jay about how he needs to grow up, and take things more seriously. He gets sent to the Titans to learn from them.

Conner joins to hang out with other super teens after trying to be normal all week. Kind of like Young Clark and the Legion. Batman sends Tim because he wants him to spend time with his friends outside of Gotham. And Cassie joins against her mothers wishes.

Each character had a good reason for joining. The weekend super hero club should have stuck around longer.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
*gentle groan at New Super-Man #4's lettered preview* I have no idea if Gene Yang's demonstrated better subtlety in the Avatar comics (or for that matter whether they're formatted similarly to DC/Marvel's floppies enough to be analogous for comparison's sake) but the lettered preview almost immediately signals just who's under the Flying Dragon General mask.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Alucard Nacirema posted:

It basically goes "Make sure you forget everything about Young Justice because we're starting over with all these characters." A lot of regression, most notably for Bart (Johns never seemed to like Waid's version of him) who he made quite bland. But it builds into some good stuff after the regression, which is more than you can say about a lot of books.

Roth posted:

and Johns left before all of his plans came to fruition, leaving a lot of characters in unsatisfying positions that none of the later writers used all that well

This is literally every Johns run of all time. Dude can't wrap things up to save his life. The best he ever did was Rogue War and even then his Flash run had a dozen loose strings.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two new miniseries announced.
http://www.newsarama.com/31523-new-captain-atom-and-amazons-titles-from-dc-in-january.html

The Odyssey of the Amazons (writer Kevin Grevioux (Underworld and Blue Marvel creator), artist Ryan Benjamin)

quote:

Set in the world of and years before the birth of Wonder Woman, The Odyssey of the Amazons follows "the stalwart Hessia" and a group of Amazons who embark on a "globe-spanning quest to find others of their kind, encountering legendary creatures and beings along the way." The Amazonian party is split however, and turns into a resue mission when Amazons are captured by Norse storm giants.

"It’s up to their leader, Hessia, to keep them together through the many trials that lie ahead."

The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom (writers Cary Bates and Greg Weisman, artist Will Conrad)

quote:

"Captain Atom hasn’t been seen or heard from in years - and even if you think you know what happened to him…you’re wrong! But you’re not alone," reads DC's description. "To this day, no one on Earth - not even the other superheroes - has an inkling of the missing Captain Atom’s true fate. At last, the truth is about to be revealed in a saga that transcends not only the meaning of life and death, but the limits of time and space."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Atom is gonna get killed by Dr. Manhattan for copyright infringement.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

"Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends. But it drat well better cease and desist if it knows what's good for it."

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
There's no way that Amazon book won't be some ludicrous B-Fantasy story this way of Warcraft or Battle Chasers.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I read up on Doctor Fate and man, there are a lot of incarnations, including the requisite extreme 90s one. Was the last series good?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The art in the DCYou series is worth trying it, at least. There should still be the free eight page sampler story floating around somewhere.

Solicits are coming out and Superman is going all Multiversity :swoon:

quote:

SUPERMAN #14

Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON
Art by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
Covers by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY
Variant cover by ANDREW ROBINSON

“MULTIPLICITY” part one! The New Super-Man of China has been taken! The Red Son Superman of Earth-30 has been beaten! And who knows what’s happened to Sunshine Superman! Someone is collecting Supermen across the Multiverse—this looks like a job for our Kal-El as he is joined by Justice Incarnate in this multi-Earth epic!

On sale JANUARY 4 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

It's even got the art team from the wrapper issues of Multiversity.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 13, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I love Greg Rucka so much.

From what I've heard, this interlude issue of Wonder Woman wasn't even a part of the original plan, but you could have fooled me because there's a lot in here that's deepening the mystery and intrigue of both storylines, and that's on top of the great character piece he's doing on Barbara [Ann] Minerva here. He described her in a recent interview as sort of being WW's Two-Face, and to me that clarifies a lot of what's been doing with the character. I'm still not...completely on board with his conception of the Cheetah, but I'm all aboard this Barbara Minerva who's been appearing in the flashbacks (as an aside, it just occurred to me that he probably lengthened her name to Barbara Ann, on top of making her hair less red, in order to make her more distinct from Barbara Gordon).

So, anyway, I can't believe it took me this long to figure out the Sear Group, who Steve's mission was intended to stop, is just an anagram of Ares. Not that the issue actually says so upfront, it's just...it would be kinda weird if I hadn't gotten it at this point :sweatdrop:. Rucka does the thing where he just expects his readers to be intelligent enough to get the clues and tidbits he's dropping into his stories without spoonfeeding anyone anything, which is nice.

Oh yeah, and Bilquis Evely's artwork in this issue was fantastic as well. I'll be sad to see Nicola Scott leave in issue 14, but he's more than a worthwhile replacement.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

The art in the DCYou series is worth trying it, at least. There should still be the free eight page sampler story floating around somewhere.

Solicits are coming out and Superman is going all Multiversity :swoon:

It's even got the art team from the wrapper issues of Multiversity.

God drat it every time I want to drop Superman Tomasi pulls me back in. First Frankenstein and now this.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm glad that if Cat Grant isn't going to be around the Supergirl TV show as much, then at least they got her voice from the show right in the comic.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

But Doctor Manhattan is just a pastiche of Captain Atom and there both owned by the same corporation!

I hope people don't sleep on this series because 1) Captain Atom is awesome and 2) the writing team is Cary Bates (the dude who wrote the awesome CA series in the 80s) with Greg Weisman (Young Justice, Star Wars Rebels, Gargoyles, etc.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Que?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

I'm not a big Tomasi fan and was only buying the book because of the eradicator story. I actually prefer Dan Jurgens Action Comics. I'm more interested in following the multiple clarks/Oz/multiple Supermen story than I am Jon Kent growing up and learning how to be Superboy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

We found the one guy in BSS with worse opinions than WickedHate and he's a huge racist! I got a bingo!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

purple death ray posted:

We found the one guy in BSS with worse opinions than WickedHate and he's a huge racist! I got a bingo!

they are equally bad

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

purple death ray posted:

I'm not a racist

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I'm not a racist

yeah you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

He's the gift that keeps on giving.