Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
H2k is also the only team from their group whose name I can remember, that probably did wonders for their making it out of that group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Zoness posted:

H2k is also the only team from their group whose name I can remember, that probably did wonders for their making it out of that group.

You can't remember EDG?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

kirtar posted:

You can't remember EDG?

ok forgetting EDG is my own fault

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I see more Chris de Sperg scouting reports on Reddit

Edit: By the way, is there (de facto) standard notation for stuff like jungle pathing? Curious of how all the other analysts and want-to-be-analysts present their data.

Smol fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 11, 2016

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Here's an interesting interview with Meteos.

http://www.thescoreesports.com/lol/...ave-done-better

quote:

So when something you think will be good or has been good in scrims doesn’t work out onstage, what happens? How do you approach it? Also, what is the primary difference between practice and the stage?

Fundamentally, scrims will always be different than the stage. Some players will test their limits, as they say, in scrims a lot more than others. They’ll just go for the solo kill whereas on stage they would just be safe, so it will be the case where in a scrim, I want to gank top or something, and it will usually work. There’s a huge difference between going top, getting the kill, getting the 450 gold for your team and then going top and not getting the kill — then your whole jungle gets stolen. I think people play a lot differently which can give you weird reads and stuff. Going into Worlds, stuff like Karma and Nami bot lane looked really really strong because, in scrims — bot lanes would just play full aggro all the time not caring about the rest of the map. When a Karma is under your turret spamming Q at you it feels really bad. Every team is like, ‘I want to be that Karma, I don’t want to be on the receiving end of that anymore.’ Then people stopped playing melee supports and went back to ranged supports. But onstage you realize that all of this insane lane pressure from scrims is only going to give us a five CS lead and then you have a Karma on your team so we have zero CC. Stuff like that can be extremely different between scrims and the competitive scene. Usually stuff that’s good in competitive are champions that scale well with a lot of cc but in scrims they don’t always look great because things can just snowball out of control.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think the people telling him to kill himself on Twitter because he missed a sonic wave on the greatest player in the world are human scum just imo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I like Meteos because he said TSM would have stomped his group. SSG made Biofrost cry, show them no mercy Memeos

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
But tsm made yensen cry

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You'd think that teams would know how different games are between scrims and on stage after all these years.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Smol posted:

I see more Chris de Sperg scouting reports on Reddit

Edit: By the way, is there (de facto) standard notation for stuff like jungle pathing? Curious of how all the other analysts and want-to-be-analysts present their data.
there generally is not because most I've seen are more heavy on details and intended to basically not see the light of day (instead purely supporting creation of content and poo poo like that), in terms of systems similar to the one I use apparently the H2k analyst Veteran does similar stuff internally but uses a different order for the numbering which is Very Helpful Indeed

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Chris de Sperg posted:

there generally is not because most I've seen are more heavy on details and intended to basically not see the light of day (instead purely supporting creation of content and poo poo like that), in terms of systems similar to the one I use apparently the H2k analyst Veteran does similar stuff internally but uses a different order for the numbering which is Very Helpful Indeed
H2K Veteren is a good dude and knows a whole lot so it's not surprising to me that Week 2 H2K stepped it up

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Freaksaus posted:

You'd think that teams would know how different games are between scrims and on stage after all these years.

It's probably a combination of a) not enough scrim experience, i.e. not having a scrimmed X team often enough to know what you'll likely get out of the experience, b) not enough people taking scrims seriously, i.e. playing scrim games out more like they would do on stage under pressure, and c) repeated memories of getting dumped on by rear end in a top hat Karmas searing too deep into players' and coaches' brains.

And in a best of one format, where literally every game is one you should do your best to win, there's really no feeling of, "well, if we end up dropping a game we can change up p/b for the rest of the series". You're playing a different team each time, different poo poo will go wrong, some bonehead mistakes will be made just from stage nerves or being too casual or too hyped up or whatever (no team immune to making random mistakes, remember). In times like that, sticking with what you think you know works feels like the safest bet.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It sounds like it is also a problem of teams playing scrims way more erratically aggressive than they play on stage and then they think the meta dominant picks are basically snowball champs like Karma and Jayce. Which is... strange.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Is a best of one group stage a good format to start worlds with?

This is an honest question, I don't know the answer.

I lean towards yes, it's very exciting, it gets group stage out of the way without a billion games, but it may not be optimal in determining which teams are actually the best.

Although if you look at who got out of groups, it does look like a majority of the teams people thought were "good" got out.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 11, 2016

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Sexpansion posted:

Is a best of one group stage a good format to start worlds with?

This is an honest question, I don't know the answer.

I lean towards yes, it's very exciting, it gets group stage out of the way without a billion games, but it may not be optimal in determining which teams are actually the best.

Although if you look at who got out of groups, it does look like a majority of the teams people thought were "good" got out.

Probably not, but increasing the number of games two two or three per team matchup would force you to really spread out the number of days games are played, as well as send those venue costs sky high.

Considering League's live viewers are all around the world, I understand why they try to cram most of the games within what's basically the global weekend, and changing up the format would require either a six to eight week group stage or just games every day whose times would only work for one or two regions.

Some cheese slips through, usually it doesn't. Logistically, it would be kind of a nightmare. With NBA team owners entering the scene though, there'll be some experience with it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think groups works, the idea is to narrow the pool and be exciting, with potential for upsets. It's extremely unlikely for the best teams to fail out in groups, even if they drop one or two games to Bo1 format.

A big part of why it works is the seeding, since they split the high ranked teams up so they don't face each other in groups, so they're favored to get out to the quarters, (though not guaranteed, RIP TSM.)

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
yeah i think the worlds format has been pretty good since they got rid of the stupid loving byes from way back.

i still wish we had a big double elim, ipl5 style tournament though. didn't iem say they were gonna have double elim next year?

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Lovechop posted:

yeah i think the worlds format has been pretty good since they got rid of the stupid loving byes from way back.

i still wish we had a big double elim, ipl5 style tournament though. didn't iem say they were gonna have double elim next year?
double elim groups into single elim final 4, basically the iem katowice format from last few years but I think with bo3s for every matchup?

there's a bunch of reasons I don't think double elim would work for worlds but I guess one of the understated aspects compared to dota is the drafting element. drafts to my knowledge tend to be a lot more game-defining in dota than in league (where they're obv important but in a much more limited manner, kinda like granting strengths and weaknesses rather than win or loss i guess?), and because good drafting banks on novel ideas and unseen interactions and all that sorta thing bo3 seems a lot better, as opposed to league where you're making more subtle tweaks and hence things flow better over the course of a bo5.

more generally, it goes against how riot uses talent and constructs narratives and all that, and also i guess it'd be less interesting because shorter but more varied matchups are a bit of a cocktease when you have pretty much no other international competitions going on through the year

stump collector
May 28, 2007

quote:

“What did I do in America? The guys didn’t want keep track of summoners, so I did all the summoner spell checking. The guys didn’t want to initiate so I did the initiating. The guy on the team who was the worst at English was scrambling to get things done somehow.”

On Jin Air, he focused on farming and carrying in team fights. In America, he had to focus on initiating, doing all of the summoner spell checks when people asked (constantly copy/pasting in chat), keeping track of jungle pathing, calling teleport plays, and all sorts of detailed shot calling/advice depending on the situation. One day he was trying to do all that while farming, and he didn’t even notice his HP getting chunked off mid.

its all amazing actually

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
That GBM interview is straight :flame:

http://www.liquidlegends.net/forum/lol-general/514841-gbm-talks-too-much

e: loool

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm sad poor GBM had such a bad experience in NA, although it's not unexpected. I think it really demonstrates just how big the gulf still is.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I love the smell of burning bridges in the morning

It smells like...

Victory

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah the NA server is much smaller than other major regions. it kinda sucks for the pros playing in these regions but they're welcome to make another IHL instead of playing solo q (they won't unless riot really fucks it up again)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

How much Overwatch is being played that it straight up ruined teams.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Shadow225 posted:

How much Overwatch is being played that it straight up ruined teams.

i mean it was an open joke in interviews that huni cared more about his overwatch rank than scrims.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

What's an IHL? In-house ladder?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

inhouse league but yeah, same thing really. when matchmaking was hosed a while back people played inhouses on the test realm and everyone said how much better it was. it would really ruin the potential of up-and-coming talent in NA since they'd play even less against pros but having the current pros play more games against other top tier players in NA without having people trolling would let them make the most of their practice time.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't watch all the games in the playoffs, but here is my impression. Whatever strategy/comp NA teams used were used with better success by other teams. As soon as a bit of pressure was on, NA dissolved into a more solo q style of play. It felt like they needed kills and the players were more desperate to carry while other regions simply relied more on solid play. To me it doesn't seem like the problem is that it's easier to get kills in scrims then on stage. The problem to me seems that during scrims other regions learned that NA teams need kills and used it against them by playing safe and pressing other advantages while NA teams didn't really get anything out of scrims. To tie it directly into what Meteos said, other teams got way more than a five cs lead with winning lanes and were able to leverage the cs lead in substantially more effective ways. The other regions adapted better to the meta clash.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Sexpansion posted:

That GBM interview is straight :flame:

goldenglue is mad about being called a shitter on twitter/reddit

doesn't seem to realize that he is indeed, a shitter

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Please don't discredit golden glutes the best and finest mid laner NA has ever produced

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

This is a Good Interview and I'm taking everything GBM wrote there at face value.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Huhi: Huhi knows how to use Aurelion Sol perfectly, how to deal damage and how to get out. His laning is really weak but good at teamfights, he felt he could dodge his skills and crush him no matter what he played.
:agreed:

quote:

Jensen: GBM faced Jensen a lot in mid, and thinks he’s a lunatic, but in a way he likes. If he was the C9 jungler, he thinks he could channel Jensen’s aggression well and cover for him (this was one of his many shameless pitches to other pro teams. “Impact, I’ll see you soon!”).

:rip: import rules

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So I guess GBM performed poorly for 2 splits because NA is a poo poo region with a monkey cage for solo queue...

Oh, and because his teammates were unwanted dregs that lacked humanity...

Oh, and because team management were clueless devil-men...

Oh, and because NA sucks...

hmm... :geno:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
That's an interesting spin on it but I read it as more as, no he didn't want them for the team as there were players who could have meshed better, but management just went "no lol".

Maybe I'm the one spinning it here.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's not like the worst player of the split in his position would have sour grapes or anything

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Yeah just like Corejj is a terrible player as shown by his performance on Dignitas

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Kaidyn posted:

Yeah just like Corejj is a terrible player as shown by his performance on Dignitas

corejj was a bad adc, though

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Kaidyn posted:

I wouldn't consider Corejj the worst ADC in NA from last year. He was good enough to make playoffs in his final split. Also, CJJ didn't talk the massive amount of poo poo that GBM did when he left the region.

But I guess if you do enough mental gymnastics they are exactly the same situation and should be treated as such :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
CoreJJ performed fine as an ADC, he was on a team with Shiphtur and loving Azingy though lol

• Locked thread