Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Maine Gov. Paul LePage: Maybe the country needs Trump to show 'authoritarian power'

Guys I don't think LePage is gonna withdraw his support for Trump.

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Instant Sunrise posted:

honestly i don't even know if a trump victory is actually 3 standard deviations from the mean, it just looks like that on the pec graph.

Looking at it closely I think the blue zone is 1SD, green is 2, so a trump victory lies approximately at two standard deviations below the mean. Which pegs the chance at half of 5%; taking into account rounding, that gives us Sam Wang's Bayesian chance of 3%.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This is going to be one wild loving month.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It's going to be hilarious to watch Trump destroy the GOP, but I'm profoundly disturbed by the effect it's going to have on political discourse for years to come

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Hey while you're here, does this ring a bell?

https://twitter.com/benjysarlin/status/785633129478238209

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Kro-Bar posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/11/politics/paul-lepage-authoritarian-power/index.html

:stare:

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Kro-Bar posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/11/politics/paul-lepage-authoritarian-power/index.html

quote:

Sometimes, I wonder that our Constitution is not only broken, but we need a Donald Trump to show some authoritarian power in our country and bring back the rule of law because we've had eight years of a president, he's an autocrat, he just does it on his own, he ignores Congress and every single day, we're slipping into anarchy

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? :psyduck:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

blue squares posted:

It's going to be hilarious to watch Trump destroy the GOP, but I'm profoundly disturbed by the effect it's going to have on political discourse for years to come

Same. This is terrifying because it's legitimized to people that an authoritarian fascist is an option. That's terrifying.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

freebooter posted:

Is there any movement whatsoever within mainstream politics to end the electoral college and make POTUS elected by popular vote? Because it's plainly loving ridiculous that only a handful of states matter. And it doesn't look to me like it would benefit one party over the other (the way weekend voting would benefit the Democrats, say) so I don't see why there'd be a partisan deadlock about it.

First it would require a constitutional amendment, which requires bipartisan agreement so inherently NOPE.
Second it is a solution for a problem that is relatively rare.
Third it would admit that we're actually one country and not fifty states working together. An admission which, while accurate today, is actually opposed to the ideas in the constitution. The constitution has a series of clauses that are dated in the age of instant communication and jet travel. We even had to move up inauguration day once because the thing is so dated.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
They're dropping like flies.

https://twitter.com/aaroncarter/status/785658225488072704

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CascadeBeta posted:

Same. This is terrifying because it's legitimized to people that an authoritarian fascist is an option. That's terrifying.

Not if he gets below 40% of the vote

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

lozzle posted:

literally nothing, it's self contradicting

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That talk of Syria in the debate has me wondering; what's the deal with Syria? Is there a thread or an article about it somewhere? I know it's Clinton's fault, and Russia is making it worse, but I don't know what "it" actually is

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

lozzle posted:

Maybe he's thinking that if you so far in one direction, then it warps around to the other side?

Obama's Totalitarian Government is creating a society with no government?

It's the same theory that says if you eat 5,000 calories a day, then eventually you will develop a higher base metabolism and start throwing up; ending up with you being skinny.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

lozzle posted:

He hates blacks and wants a white man to stomp them.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Kro-Bar posted:

Maine Gov. Paul LePage: Maybe the country needs Trump to show 'authoritarian power'

quote:

"Sometimes, I wonder that our Constitution is not only broken, but we need a Donald Trump to show some authoritarian power in our country and bring back the rule of law because we've had eight years of a president, he's an autocrat, he just does it on his own, he ignores Congress and every single day, we're slipping into anarchy," LePage said on Maine radio station WVOM.

Yes, yes. I see. We need authoritarian power to restore the rule of law. Especially after an authoritarian, autocrat President that ignores Congress.

This makes complete sense.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This calls for a celebration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0p3jn7ODuc

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
This is so much fun.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Maybe he's thinking that if you so far in one direction, then it warps around to the other side?

Obama's Totalitarian Government is creating a society with no government?

It's the same theory that says if you eat 5,000 calories a day, then eventually you will develop a higher base metabolism and start throwing up; ending up with you being skinny.

Or like that game Asteroids where if you go far enough to one side of the screen you pop out on the other side.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Guy Goodbody posted:

That talk of Syria in the debate has me wondering; what's the deal with Syria? Is there a thread or an article about it somewhere? I know it's Clinton's fault, and Russia is making it worse, but I don't know what "it" actually is

We have a Middle East thread here in D&D that's mostly about Syria.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390388

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Whoa. :stare:

It's surreal witnessing all of this in full HD and in real-time in 2016, not 1933 black and white film reels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4vuUfnTEkg&t=185s

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Junior G-man posted:

Yes, yes. I see. We need authoritarian power to restore the rule of law. Especially after an authoritarian, autocrat President that ignores Congress.

This makes complete sense.

Fascism is okay when a white guy does it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

lozzle posted:

I just hope and pray that he doesn't decide to set an example in Maine.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Its no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVKIva2KddY

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

lozzle posted:

Silly, law and order is broken, which is the perfect justification for anarchic behavior to bring it back! :downs:

The likes of LePage will basically say anything to justify taking whatever measures necessary to implement their policies.

I also don't think Americans are capable of actually doing political violence en masse (and our institutions are sufficiently strong that it's nothing to worry about) but it's interesting to watch the authoritarian playbook try to spread its kudzu-like tendrils into the US in the exact same way it does every other country.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not if he gets below 40% of the vote

The lesson for the next fascist will be to not get caught on video admitting to sexual assault.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

AdmiralViscen posted:

The lesson for the next fascist will be to not get caught on video admitting to sexual assault.

The next fascist will have 4 more years of demographic shifts to contend with

There is also no way the GOP allows a Trump to happen again

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

:jerry:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

freebooter posted:

Is there any movement whatsoever within mainstream politics to end the electoral college and make POTUS elected by popular vote? Because it's plainly loving ridiculous that only a handful of states matter. And it doesn't look to me like it would benefit one party over the other (the way weekend voting would benefit the Democrats, say) so I don't see why there'd be a partisan deadlock about it.

There is, but (as I became aware due to some people correcting my misconceptions) it doesn't actually take the country away from a plurality system.

Basically if you get a situation like 1992, where the race is split three ways, the "winner" would still be the guy with the most votes, but he might only have 35% of the vote or whatever. You'd need to include something like IRV to correct that or you'd still just get two parties.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

AdmiralViscen posted:

Yeah, I don't think a Trump loss, no matter how big, will stop people from saying stuff like this in public discourse, especially when a large amount of his supporters just assume the election will be rigged.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/785860777047629826

quote:

Trump is at Trump Tower, per a person close to him. Watching TV, tweeting. With Bannon & others who encourage his anti-estab R sentiment...

"Mein führer...Steiner..."

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
It's a weird feeling having all of your beliefs about the opposition get so thoroughly proven and become generally accepted over such a short period of time

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/785860777047629826

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

except that bernie was not a democrat and only caucused with them this year....naaaah

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mel Mudkiper posted:

GOP superdelegates are absolutely going to be A Thing.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

AdmiralViscen posted:

If I was an ambitious Republican, I'd note that Trump's racist, isolationist policies played very well with the voters, and his personal flaws were what reduced his support. A smooth-spoken racist could win easily.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Probably 8 honestly, since incumbency is a hell of a drug.

BarbarianElephant posted:

If I was an ambitious Republican, I'd note that Trump's racist, isolationist policies played very well with the voters, and his personal flaws were what reduced his support. A smooth-spoken racist could win easily.

People talk a big game about how Hillary is only winning because her opponent is so drat bad, but consider that Trump might have won specifically because of who he was going to face in the general.

Reminder: White men are the only people to really consistently support Trump. Even when he was doing well white women supported him far less.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

AdmiralViscen posted:

The amount of conservative women who just now are like "I can't defend the GOP for not dumping this guy after standing up for them all these years against liberals accusations of sexism" while they didn't care about years of misogynistic policies and language from GOP leaders is pretty sad. They'll be right back with the party once they find a guy that just says Mexicans are rapists and Muslims need to pass purity tests or be deported while keeping the women hating to trying to get abortion and birth control made illegal, and fighting against equal pay.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
We're all in agreement that would actually be no systemic violence as Trump tries to consolidate his base, right? That support from the fraternal order of police doesn't scare anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

First part is true, second part is lol

Trump IS the GOP, only louder. At least half their party is totally on board with that and what's left of the GOP apparatus after November 8th is going to be even less able to rein it in than the current batch are.

• Locked thread