Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Agean90 posted:

How is the concept of advertising for fruit "problematic"

Ownership over the idea of an apple, which is not just selling a seed or sapplings, but instead a trademark, sets a dangerous precedent for the ownership of basic foodstuffs. Sure, it's just a brand of apples now, but it's part of a worrying trend in multinational agriculture which is pushing for complete control over what is grown and consumed. Multinational companies apply for, and receive, patents on seeds for everything from cereals to apples to soybeans, which gives them the opportunity to remove traditionally used seeds from independent farmers since said older seeds may contain xxx amount of the genetic material in the trademarked seed, which then legally obliges farmers to buy seeds only from the multinationals which hold the patent. This is not only a financial burden on farmers, but also reduces biodiversity, opening us up to more problems down the food, as well as reduces the sociocultural value that localized crops have in a region.

Please don't take this as me being an anti-GMO advocate who is afraid of chemicals. Genetic modification is the reason we have so much agricultural biodiversity in the first place. But by branding and trademarking and putting control over seeds, and thus the food supply, into multinational hands that seek to standardize all aspects of agricultural is a recipe for disaster, particularly in the face of climate change.

However, I do not know if this is true of Dick Sucking Apples, as I haven't done much research on them in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Can't say I've ever seen produce add like that, the ones I've seen are usually advertising Florida orangesor the like. Less about the cultivar, more about the growers association/company pushing their wares over others.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Ownership over the idea of an apple, which is not just selling a seed or sapplings, but instead a trademark, sets a dangerous precedent for the ownership of basic foodstuffs. Sure, it's just a brand of apples now, but it's part of a worrying trend in multinational agriculture which is pushing for complete control over what is grown and consumed. Multinational companies apply for, and receive, patents on seeds for everything from cereals to apples to soybeans, which gives them the opportunity to remove traditionally used seeds from independent farmers since said older seeds may contain xxx amount of the genetic material in the trademarked seed, which then legally obliges farmers to buy seeds only from the multinationals which hold the patent. This is not only a financial burden on farmers, but also reduces biodiversity, opening us up to more problems down the food, as well as reduces the sociocultural value that localized crops have in a region.

Please don't take this as me being an anti-GMO advocate who is afraid of chemicals. Genetic modification is the reason we have so much agricultural biodiversity in the first place. But by branding and trademarking and putting control over seeds, and thus the food supply, into multinational hands that seek to standardize all aspects of agricultural is a recipe for disaster, particularly in the face of climate change.

However, I do not know if this is true of Dick Sucking Apples, as I haven't done much research on them in particular.

None of that is how patents on seeds actually work.

E: poo poo I used words from the Oxford English Dictionary, now I'm legally obliged to only make posts by throwing dictionaries at my computer, thanks a lot OBAMA!!!!

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

None of that is how patents on seeds actually work.

E: poo poo I used words from the Oxford English Dictionary, now I'm legally obliged to only make posts by throwing dictionaries at my computer, thanks a lot OBAMA!!!!

I conflated seed patent with broader seed laws, but

GRAIN.org posted:

The term 'seed laws’ often refers to intellectual property rules such as patent laws or plant variety protection legislation. But, in fact, there are many other laws pertaining to seeds, including those that regulate trade and investments; regulations related to the health of plants; certification and so-called ‘good agricultural practices’ related to marketing; or so-called biosafety regulations. As a whole, these laws often result in peasant seeds being decreed illegal, branded as inadequate, and treated as a source of risk to be eliminated.

From GRAIN

My point is is that the the trademarking of basic agricultural products is a path that humans shouldn't be going down for various reasons.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i thought it was about dick sucking

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everybody knows the proper advertising synergy is between grapefruits and getting your dick sucked.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tired Moritz posted:

there's no patent on THAT seed :heysexy:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Why do you have a problem with a consenting adult getting a blowjob?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Whoops, didn't mean to start a derail. To get on back on track, here is the ad in question. There's also a bunch of them in Italian and German, if that's something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktE11_LD72A

It's just so weirdly jarring. They're going after snake people I guess?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Whoops, didn't mean to start a derail. To get on back on track, here is the ad in question. There's also a bunch of them in Italian and German, if that's something.

I find it even more obnoxious (Well that ad is pretty obnoxious) that they don't TAKE THE LABELS OFF before eating them *hngh*

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

zedprime posted:

Everybody knows the proper advertising synergy is between grapefruits and getting your dick sucked.

Nothing says, "romance" like citric acid being shoved into your urethra

Agean90 posted:

How is the concept of advertising for fruit "problematic"

The content of the ad notwithstanding, most people just don't give a poo poo about what brand their produce is, just country of origin and Organic/GMO status. Ask anyone what brand of apples they buy and they'll probably give you the name of the grocery store, not the company that grew them because most of the produce sold in grocery stores is genetically identical, regardless of brand.
The only thing that makes a Chiquita Banana different from any other brand of banana is the color of the sticker

E:

Ralph Crammed In posted:

oh god that's a terrible thing...
"I love getting my dick sucked, don't believe me? Ask this 11 year old girl."

Also, the stickers on any produce in the US are totally edible and non-toxic, but so are banana skins, so it's up to your personal judgment if you want to eat them

The Door Frame has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Oct 11, 2016

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Rondette posted:

I find it even more obnoxious (Well that ad is pretty obnoxious) that they don't TAKE THE LABELS OFF before eating them *hngh*

If it makes you feel any better all fruit labels and the glue that holds them on are supposed to be edible.

The Door Frame posted:

Nothing says, "romance" like citric acid being shoved into your urethra

You've never seen the grapefruit technique?

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

zedprime posted:

Oh good, a chance to post :nws: my favorite Youtube video :nws: If you can't spare the full minutes, skip to around 2:30.

e:f;b on the above.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

This is one of those purposefully "edgy" ads that thinks it is being cool and counterculture and will go viral because it has a swearing girl scout. In reality, it's something I would have found funny at like age 12 (significantly before I was in the age range to be buying my own apples).

TheRecogScene has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Oct 11, 2016

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
My poppa always told me to clean my plate, so you can be drat sure I'm eating those fruit stickers. I paid for em after all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tired Moritz posted:

Isn't everything, in the end?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Of course you leave the label on, otherwise how will people know you're eating Dick Sucking Apples and not regular old galas or braeburns like some sorta loving scrub?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Of course you leave the label on, otherwise how will people know you're eating Dick Sucking Apples and not regular old galas or braeburns like some sorta loving scrub?

It's a status symbol, like having an iPhone case with a hole in the back so people will be able to see the Apple logo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gonna tape a Kanzi apple with one bite taken out to the back of my phone. Double status, bitches.

:stare:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Isn't everything, in the end?

Everything is about dicksucking. Except dicksucking, which is about apples.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Indolent Bastard posted:

If it makes you feel any better all fruit labels and the glue that holds them on are supposed to be edible.

You've never seen the grapefruit technique?

Oh, I've seen it...
Call me crazy, but I simply do not trust citric acid near my urethra. Maybe I'm too prudish

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Huh, genuinely didn't know that!! Cheers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Door Frame posted:

The content of the ad notwithstanding, most people just don't give a poo poo about what brand their produce is, just country of origin and Organic/GMO status. Ask anyone what brand of apples they buy and they'll probably give you the name of the grocery store, not the company that grew them because most of the produce sold in grocery stores is genetically identical, regardless of brand.
The only thing that makes a Chiquita Banana different from any other brand of banana is the color of the sticker
Apples are in a weird place where trademark and patent are huge deals that define whole apple brands that corporations are trying to get their moneys worth off of because those patents or trademark enforcement isn't cheap.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a status symbol, like having an iPhone case with a hole in the back so people will be able to see the Apple logo.

I don't think over ever seen an iPhone case that didn't have the hole...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FrozenVent posted:

There's a fair few. The ones my family and I use on our phones don't.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The first-party Apple leather cases don't have the hole.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rondette posted:

Huh, genuinely didn't know that!! Cheers.

They’re “edible” to the extent that the FDA says “you can’t make the stickers poisonous”.

Elmer’s glue and Play‐Dough are technically edible as well.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Agean90 posted:

Everything is about dicksucking. Except dicksucking, which is about apples.

Hungry For Apples

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

zedprime posted:

Apples are in a weird place where trademark and patent are huge deals that define whole apple brands that corporations are trying to get their moneys worth off of because those patents or trademark enforcement isn't cheap.

Really? That's super weird, especially since most people don't notice at all

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Door Frame posted:

Also, the stickers on any produce in the US are totally edible and non-toxic, but so are banana skins, so it's up to your personal judgment if you want to eat them

If the sticker's still on, that probably means you didn't wash the apple. Which you got out of a big open container in a supermarket where people have been breathing/coughing/sneezing all over them, picking them up and handling them, etc.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

If the sticker's still on, that probably means you didn't wash the apple. Which you got out of a big open container in a supermarket where people have been breathing/coughing/sneezing all over them, picking them up and handling them, etc.

If you keep yourself in a sterile bubble, your immune system is going to be garbage.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Johnny Aztec posted:

If you keep yourself in a sterile bubble, your immune system is going to be garbage.

There's a difference between being the boy in the plastic bubble and practicing basic hygiene.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Screaming Idiot posted:

There's a difference between being the boy in the plastic bubble and practicing basic hygiene.

Goons know what the boy in the plastic is

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Jeeze, you say that like MRSA and VRSA are endemic to grocery stores and that tiny lapses in hygiene can contaminate thousands of people's foodstuffs

quote:

A 2011 study reported 47% of the meat and poultry sold in surveyed U.S. grocery stores was contaminated with S. aureus, and of those, 52% — or 24.4% of the total — were resistant to at least three classes of antibiotics

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

They’re “edible” to the extent that the FDA says “you can’t make the stickers poisonous”.

Elmer’s glue and Play‐Dough are technically edible as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BClZx2W1Hsg

BanjoFuzz
Sep 29, 2015
E: wrong thread

BanjoFuzz has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Oct 12, 2016

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

iirc Apple has (or had) a requirement that you had to have the hole going to the logo if you wanted Apple to sell your case in their stores.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

On the topic of cool channels, Braille Skateboarding has an awesome channel. They have three main series that I watch: "Stupid SKATE", "You Make It We Skate It", and "Skate Everything"

The whole concept is just "professional and semi-pro skateboarders skate stupid poo poo" which is awesome. They have done episodes of them skating on iPads, doors, 3D printed boards, hunks of metal, Lego skateboards, skateboards made of glass, etc and try to perform the tricks they know how to do on them. Stupid Skate is them competing in HORSE (SKATE) on the stupid things, YMIWSI is them skating on stupid things their subscribers make and mail them, and Skate Everything is them slapping trucks on anything they can drill through and skating it. They got the gold-played YouTube logo for 1 million subscribers, tore open the display case it was mailed in, slapped trucks on it and started skating around.

They also do tutorials on deck building, basic tricks, dos and do-nots for gear, and even a few series where they go around their local park to find guys with beat up boards/shoes and give them a new setup for free. They're just a bunch of doofuses that like skateboarding and love getting new skaters, young and old, into it as a hobby if it interests them.

Here's their latest vid from YMIWSI, they're all around 10-20 minutes long so skip around if it seems boring/you don't want to watch an unboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLkZ0myuy8c

I would link the channel itself but I dunno how to do that from the app

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Clickspring is a really cool channel where a Australian guy has been building a brass clock entirely from scratch for the past year or so, and has been presenting everything like a How It's Made episode.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCworsKCR-Sx6R6-BnIjS2MA

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Dick Sucking Apples

I've never asked for a name change before but this speaks to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Somfin posted:

I've never asked for a name change before but this speaks to me

Is it one dick, sucking on apples, or is it apples which suck dick? The ambiguity adds to the value