Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mei is super frustrating to play against. None of the suggestions really jump out at me as a significant counter to Mei. She has way too much of an impact on the game these days for how durable she is. Her spray allows her to win any 1v1 up close. Her icicle allows her to contribute from a distance. Her wall can have a significant impact in almost any situation. Her iceblock heals her up to full health and has a low recharger timer. Her ult is ranged, not PBAoE, recharges quickly, has a huge radius, and virtually guarantees 2 kills even if she is by herself.

This is all made significantly worse if you play QP and can go up against multiple Meis. Playing against 6 Meis is one of the most frustrating things in the game today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The last time I played against 6 meis, we brought out 2 pharahs and shitstomped them because pharah can just hit shift and ignore 95% of mei's stuff. Rockets will nudge mei around as well, so her icicle aim will be trash.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Internet Explorer posted:

Mei is super frustrating to play against. None of the suggestions really jump out at me as a significant counter to Mei. She has way too much of an impact on the game these days for how durable she is. Her spray allows her to win any 1v1 up close. Her icicle allows her to contribute from a distance. Her wall can have a significant impact in almost any situation. Her iceblock heals her up to full health and has a low recharger timer. Her ult is ranged, not PBAoE, recharges quickly, has a huge radius, and virtually guarantees 2 kills even if she is by herself.

Mei's damage is incredibly low, to the point where you're gambling on her utility to make up for how little impact she has when she's not ulting or playing on super-favorable terrain for her wall. Roadhog, McCree, and Tracer all have the abilities that let them recover from falling into her already tiny zone of control and win 1v1s against her even in that context; Zarya can maybe do it if she's pre-charged, and Reaper might be able to pull it off. Several others characters can disengage even if they can't necessarily win that fight (Genji comes to mind.) Characters who can't do this shouldn't be engaging her 1v1 in the first place, it's a team game. Her icicle is the only projectile weapon with falloff and has a huge warm-up before firing. Her iceblock only heals 60% of her full health, and more importantly, it immobilizes her. It also has a cooldown of 12 seconds, which is the exact opposite of "a low recharge timer;" I think 12 seconds is the longest of any non-ult ability in the game.

Her wall is really good though.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 11, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mei can throw her ult deceptively far, I'm pretty sure that one time a mei literally chucked it over a building to land at my feet. the ult callout was like 10 seconds before it actually went off

I don't think mei is that frustrating to deal with unless I'm tracer tho (those ohko headshots are nuts). I used to when I first started playing, but it's actually really easy to beat mei in a direct fight even if she's close enough to try and freeze you

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Mei's wall is far and away the best part about her kit and if that wasn't there idk how playable she'd be.

e; the better I get with mei the less I use her M1. I barely use it at all at this point unless it's to help my teammates secure a kill definitely never for a 1v1

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

:flashfap:

More here:
http://imgur.com/a/DTmqw

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The last time I played against 6 meis, we brought out 2 pharahs and shitstomped them because pharah can just hit shift and ignore 95% of mei's stuff. Rockets will nudge mei around as well, so her icicle aim will be trash.

When I see Mei(s) dominating, I always go Pharah for the reasons you described. Some maps, like the end of Eichenwald, just don't give you enough room to maneuver. And good luck getting an ult off, her icicle isn't going to miss when you're suck in the air. With how ubiquitous McCree is, chances are you won't have free reign as Pharah anyways.

She is super frustrating to play against because she has so many ways to take control from the player. She seems super difficult to balance for that reason alone.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'd rather play against 100 Mei's than one good Tracer. I hate Tracer.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

oh man dat Halloween Ana tho

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

these are pretty great, def a step up from most of the purple skins and the legendaries are amazing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hachi machi, that Mercy skin :eyepop:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

When I see Mei(s) dominating, I always go Pharah for the reasons you described. Some maps, like the end of Eichenwald, just don't give you enough room to maneuver. And good luck getting an ult off, her icicle isn't going to miss when you're suck in the air. With how ubiquitous McCree is, chances are you won't have free reign as Pharah anyways.

She is super frustrating to play against because she has so many ways to take control from the player. She seems super difficult to balance for that reason alone.

Mccree is ubiquitous, but good mccrees are not. They still have to have good aim to hit you. I still have a lot of success as pharah because hovering in the air pharah is the dumbest way you can play her. Use her shift to sneak around and get behind teams, or get higher ground you can peek from, and if you're on a point and get pressured use it to escape or try and turn the tables on someone.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

kinda disappointed with Zen but I won't get it anyway :D

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Some of those are cool, but a lot of those are pretty lazy, tbh.

No Vampire Hunter McCree??

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think 12 seconds is the longest of any non-ult ability in the game.
There are a few abilities with 12 sec cooldowns but Hanzo's sonar arrow is one a 20 second cooldown if I'm not mistaken.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Reaper can wraith form out of a freeze and puts out so much damage at Mei's M1 engagement range that if you are losing 1v1s vs mei it's your own fault.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Oh my god ghost rein <3

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I love Halloween. Those skins look neat.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Zikan posted:

Reaper can wraith form out of a freeze and puts out so much damage at Mei's M1 engagement range that if you are losing 1v1s vs mei it's your own fault.

whenever I try reaper against mei, which is rare because I'm trash to middling with him, I bodyshot her, she starts freezing me and I can't track fast enough, I wraith to reset the freeze, she ice blocks so I don't kill her, and then I leave because both of us are wasting our time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

some good skins in there but jesus christ would it kill them to give them to spread them around a little

reinhardt alone has more good options than genji, zarya, mei, winston, and lucio combined

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Lucio in particular has really, really bad skins

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

whenever I try reaper against mei, which is rare because I'm trash to middling with him, I bodyshot her, she starts freezing me and I can't track fast enough, I wraith to reset the freeze, she ice blocks so I don't kill her, and then I leave because both of us are wasting our time.

I found your problem

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

ToastyPotato posted:

I agree, especially bastion, zen, and 76. Unless zombie hanjo replaces all his voice lines with a variant of braaaaiiinnnsss, in which case I have a new main.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

some good skins in there but jesus christ would it kill them to give them to spread them around a little

reinhardt alone has more good options than genji, zarya, mei, winston, and lucio combined

Some characters are just easier to build good skins around without wrecking their silouette.
though Genji, Zarya and Lucio all got skins from the summer games so they've had their turn.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Kenshin posted:

I found your problem

I did say I was trash at him :v:

I only pick reaper if I need to shred some tanks, so me going off and dueling mei is usually a bad idea.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kenshin posted:

There are a few abilities with 12 sec cooldowns but Hanzo's sonar arrow is one a 20 second cooldown if I'm not mistaken.

you're correct. so the longest in the game except for the non-ult-gated wallhack

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Some characters are just easier to build good skins around without wrecking their silouette.
though Genji, Zarya and Lucio all got skins from the summer games so they've had their turn.

The Zarya and Lucio skins from the summer games are garbage.

You're right about Genji, I forgot about the Nihon skin (which is very striking, at least) because I didn't get it. :saddowns:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I don't know, what makes you special that you getting frozen in mei's ult an imperative?

I am deaf

This, by the way, makes playing against Junkrat and McCree extremely extremely dumb

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I don't know, what makes you special that you getting frozen in mei's ult an imperative?

dying in overwatch is insanely bad no matter who you are because unless you have a massive skill/ult advantage over the other team you're going to lose 5 v 6

even then a lot of the time it doesn't even matter if mei gets a pick with her ult; she's just single-handedly cleared the point in a way that's basically impossible to stop and gives her team both room to breathe and time to rush from spawn. freezing and killing that roadhog/ana/rein/mercy/zen/mccree and making it a 5 v 6 is just a bonus

it's not overpowered and mei is extremely easy to beat in a one on one fight but her ult is so completely obnoxious and unfun and feels so unrewarding to fight

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 11, 2016

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Are you peppering Mei with shots before you're at optimal range? That's the biggest mistake I see Reapers make. If you're flanking and aren't noticed don't shoot until you're at range. If you get Mei to iceblock and your 1v1 then you win. Reaper instant gibs her when she emerges from the block.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

mccree got the best skin in the game last time so blizzard felt the need to space things out for him

I think mercy's the only character that got a skin across both events

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Nomad Genji is great, though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nomad Genji is great, though

It's pretty good, and it's what I use. What I'm getting at is more that Reinhardt has like four amazing skins and then another half-dozen respectable ones.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the best lucio skin is Auditiva and i'll never need another one

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kenshin posted:

I found your problem

No, you're supposed to bodyshot as Reaper. Deliberately going for headshots means that more of your shotgun pellets miss by going over/around the target's headbox unless they're a D.Va or something. You aim for the body so that all your pellets hit, some of which will hit the head if they're placed right.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

that is what i roll as well because it looks cool to have his eyes obscured but the only designs that hide his stupid garden hose dreads are the awful hockey ones

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

if by that you mean hippity hop then I agree

Kai Tave posted:

No, you're supposed to bodyshot as Reaper. Deliberately going for headshots means that more of your shotgun pellets miss by going over/around the target's headbox unless they're a D.Va or something. You aim for the body so that all your pellets hit, some of which will hit the head if they're placed right.

you can absolutely aim for the head on a mei. she's gonna be close to you and you can kill her in one good shot. it's not like you're shooting a tracer from range here

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

No you go for upper-center body/neck shots so that you pellets hit both their body and head

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Efexeye posted:

that is what i roll as well because it looks cool to have his eyes obscured but the only designs that hide his stupid garden hose dreads are the awful hockey ones

Ummmmmmm hello, frog suit??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

if by that you mean hippity hop then I agree

his best is the basic purple recolor, and it's not even a Pharah / Zenyatta situation where the basic recolors are amazing, either