Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Finally got rank 15. I kept losing a star and getting it back.

It was a weird battle. 5 CAs per team, 1 BB and 1 DD.

I exploded both Nurnbergs and a Molotov on the enemy team, and almost killed a Cleveland with a double citadel...but that one got stolen from me.

Weirdest thing is that all the CAs were firing AP at my Bayern. I even told them to switch ammo halfway through the match because I felt bad...and was getting tired of hearing the "bounced shell" sound effect. But they kept lobbing AP at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Urgghhh loving hell this game is tiresome, why are all the early ships just a loving bore to use?

Umikaze, Clemson, and Isokaze are great low tier!

As a destroyer player, I may be biased.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah tier 4 might just be the worst in general. I'm right there with you trying to get through the Kaiser and Karlsruhe, the cruiser is especially obnoxious IMO with its tiny floaty guns and their dumb layout. Those #2 and #3 batteries on the Kaiser are super goofy too- I think I've just once managed to have something in the tiny rear end window where I can get a full broadside off before the far turret is obscured.

Is this the worst tier for every line? I really think it might be - Wyoming, Phoenix, Myogi are all pretty terrible, Isokaze and Clemson were... forgettable? Isokaze definitely I enjoyed less than Minekaze. The Kuma I remember being pretty drat fun though, and I haven't played the Russian lines at all.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 11, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heartcatch posted:

Umikaze, Clemson, and Isokaze are great low tier!

As a destroyer player, I may be biased.

Destroyers are always fun but I don't just want to play destroyers.

Like most matches I can have fun torpedo rushing a battleship in a destroyer but I feel they don't have the opportunity to really wreck things on the same scale as a BB, they're great at hit and run but that's sort of their one trick.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

Urgghhh loving hell this game is tiresome, why are all the early ships just a loving bore to use?

They're not, the early BBs are the only bad on purpose ships. Other low tier stuff is amazingly fun (DDs, Bogatyr, St. Louis, Kuma).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I don't want to be this guy, but wall of torpedo ranked games where there are 3+ destroyers per side are really unfun.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

I don't want to be this guy, but wall of torpedo ranked games where there are 3+ destroyers per side are really unfun.

Welcome to upper tier ranked. It was the same meta last season.

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008
I thought the Kaiser was pretty good :smugdog:

The Myogi is hot rear end though.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
Sometimes the Nurnberg doesn't explode. Sometimes it makes other ships explode.

The entire enemy team piled into the A cap, and I flanked around the south and west, and proceeded to perforate some broadsiding crusiers. Special note to the Yorck who was at full health, then proceeded to lose in a gun fight to my 1/3rd HP Nurn. :downs:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Reztes posted:

Is this the worst tier for every line? I really think it might be - Wyoming, Phoenix, Myogi are all pretty terrible, Isokaze and Clemson were... forgettable? Isokaze definitely I enjoyed less than Minekaze. The Kuma I remember being pretty drat fun though, and I haven't played the Russian lines at all.
Wrong

Clemson is amazing

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I believe it. I didn't keep it, and I'm on the Farragut now but this whole line has been fun I just don't remember anything about it :haw:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

OwlFancier posted:

Hello i am the dissenting voice on the Myogi, i somehow like garbage battlecruisers and not so garbage fast BBs. It was mentioned earlier that it will teach you to play the Kongo and that is very true. You can hide/fake your real cruising speed, mess with enemy shots/torpedoes by speeding up and slowing down, and run away if your side of the map falls apart. You are made of paper but luckily your turrets have great traverse arc so you can point your armor away from nasty guns and still have all of your own guns pointed back at a target. Always keep cruiser buddies near you because you their help against destroyers and planes. Your sweet spot for getting good BB penetrations with AP ammo is about 9-10km. Grind down turtling BBs with their bows pointed at you by shooting at their towers, you might hit something with HP or the deck. Be aware that the arc on Japanese BB guns are a bit high at extreme range and will take a long time to arrive. There's a lot more to practice when you have so few guns and so much speed but I'm not sure i have the expertise to outline anything else.

I really like the style because it at least gives me sense of control over my matches, even if it's not great per salvo.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Reztes posted:

Every line seems to have a lemon in it, bar USN DDs. IJN has problems across the board at tier 9 in everything but CVs. I point out the Isokaze in particular since at tier 4 it gets softer matchmaking while basically being a miniature Minekaze that can't see tier 6 and 7. Tenryu and Kuma are quite good, but a lot of people struggle with Furutaka and Aoba.

OwlFancier posted:

Like most matches I can have fun torpedo rushing a battleship in a destroyer but I feel they don't have the opportunity to really wreck things on the same scale as a BB, they're great at hit and run but that's sort of their one trick.

Understandable. DDs have lower damage requirements compared to BBs to do well in, but smokescreen play and behind-an-island firing is also integral to their style. Torpedoes are nice and there isn't anything as satisfying as watching someone eat a wave of torpedoes (not even seven citadels on a Myoko in one salvo) because you know they'll be livid about it, but it's only one aspect of destroyer play.

Of course, it's up to personal preference as to what sort of ship type and style is the most satisfying to play and I don't begrudge anyone for not favouring DDs over other classes*.

*but I should, because DDs are the best. :black101:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Hello ranked people
play cruisers if you see 6+ DDs in queue
no seriously, pick an Atago or Chapayev, especially a chappy

You can bully DDs away from points, support pushes, radar and sonar are great against DDs, and you can still contribute to all the other fights. People seem to be stuck in a rut of "pick either Benson or Bismarck" and neglect bringing Radar, which fucks over DDs in smoke clouds or stationary BBs in clouds. With RADAR, your DDs will love you for breaking that early stalemate on the point (you reveal their DDs sitting in smoke, pushing them off cap or even killing them), your CAs will love you for lighting up people in clouds and giving them free shots, and your BBs will love you for exposing those broadside Kutuzovs sitting in their clouds ready to eat a Devastating Strike. With Sonar, you can at least pop it when you're being stalked by a DD to render their torpedoes mostly useless, and sometimes there will be a case where you can use it to spot through smoke clouds too.

Don't get stuck in a rut. Ranked is just as much about being flexible as it is about picking what will win. Last night, I swapped off my Fubuki to my AA SPEC NEW ORLEANS when I saw 2 CVs in queue. We ended up with a 600ish rating Lexington on our team, and a UNICUM Shoukaku player on theirs. Our Lex immediately boated off to the map boundary and sent his planes along the sides of the map trying to first strike. We won due to my RADAR lighting up a heavily smoked team, as well as my defensive fire scattering a crucial set of torpedo bombers and picking off other planes, and the sheer grit of our team to not give the match up.

Hell, last night my win rate was ~36%. I still rose from Rank 7 to Rank 6. Even if you're getting shitters, gun for top XP, and you can still see results. Even the shittiest Ranked grinders make 1 eventually. Winning a lot just makes it faster. Play normals with goons if you're burning out, of course. I recommend a relaxing session of Isokaze sealclubbing.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 11, 2016

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Reztes posted:

Yeah tier 4 might just be the worst in general. I'm right there with you trying to get through the Kaiser and Karlsruhe, the cruiser is especially obnoxious IMO with its tiny floaty guns and their dumb layout. Those #2 and #3 batteries on the Kaiser are super goofy too- I think I've just once managed to have something in the tiny rear end window where I can get a full broadside off before the far turret is obscured.

The Wyoming is fine and the Phoenix is awesome once you learn to never be broadside in it. The Clemson is hilarious fun, but you're right about the Myogi, pure poo poo.

Speaking of poo poo, T8 ranked isn't nearly as much fun as T7 was last season which still doesn't hold a candle to T6. Why do the World Of games always have awful end game metas when their mid game is so much fun?

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 11, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Reztes posted:

Yeah tier 4 might just be the worst in general.

You might be right but there are some amazing T4 ships:

Both CVs are completely OP at that Tier in the hands of a semi-competent player
Isokaze is for all intents a Minekaze with slightly less health and speed, but better torp reload and concealment and with 2 tier better MM
Clemson is the only T4 I've kept because it is generally amazing
Kuma is like a Clemson with a citadel but absolutely ruins DDs and I just recall it being brilliant. I wonder what a Kuma with Concealment Expert would be like...
Controversially, Svetlana is a really underrated ship.

Actually there are 5 amazing T4 ships plus one good one. The rest are garbage. I can say with surety that T4 BBs are garbage because I can sail up to one in a straight line in a Clemson and sink it, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I average 66k damage in the Myogi. With the last hull it's not too bad as long as you don't try and snipe.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I'm beginning to doubt we will get the RN cruiser line this month :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

You might be right but there are some amazing T4 ships:

Both CVs are completely OP at that Tier in the hands of a semi-competent player
Isokaze is for all intents a Minekaze with slightly less health and speed, but better torp reload and concealment and with 2 tier better MM
Clemson is the only T4 I've kept because it is generally amazing
Kuma is like a Clemson with a citadel but absolutely ruins DDs and I just recall it being brilliant. I wonder what a Kuma with Concealment Expert would be like...
Controversially, Svetlana is a really underrated ship.

Actually there are 5 amazing T4 ships plus one good one. The rest are garbage. I can say with surety that T4 BBs are garbage because I can sail up to one in a straight line in a Clemson and sink it, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Kuma is like a big destroyer, I don't personally like it because I would rather have an actual destroyer but if you are fond of gunnery but also like torpedoing things, the Kuma fills that role.

The Svetlana is covered in loving guns, it has all the guns, it never stops gunning 24/7. I don't overly like it because I find it a bit slow and fragile while lacking much punch in its guns but it's probably good against destroyers because it uses 130mm guns so you get good traverse on them.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
What's the correct term for a Kraken-Confederate-High-Caliber-Loss?

My most recent one happened to come with Dreadnought and two Close Quarters kills too, so it's not like I wasn't taking my fair share of risk either.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

Desiderata posted:

What's the correct term for a Kraken-Confederate-High-Caliber-Loss?

gently caress Pubbies? Team Was Too Heavy?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
loving hell, the last five commander points to get Concealment Expert taking loving FOREVER to obtain.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

so it took me 80 games to get to rank 10, and another 80 games to get to rank 10

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I mean, you spend so little time in T4 ships that outside of a discussion on which is the best seal clubber (it's the Clemson :ssh:) it's pretty much whatever.

The Wyoming is a good ship though. It's a standard battleship so outside of the fact that it has baby 12 inch guns which are fine at that tier it gets good armor and maneuverability in trade for having 21 knot max upgraded speed.

And yeah, you can easily rush bad BB players in the early tiers. They have crap secondaries and BB drivers at that tier often panic and don't know what to do when a DD rushes them. A good BB driver should just kite you and get a few salvos in with HE while hopefully exposing the DD to fire from the rest of their team. Even a 21 knot T4 BB will be able to shoot you plenty by just turning away and running while you catch up with your 15 knot speed advantage. But thankfully for seal clubbers a lot of BB drivers aren't smart.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Kuma is like a big destroyer, I don't personally like it because I would rather have an actual destroyer but if you are fond of gunnery but also like torpedoing things, the Kuma fills that role.

The Svetlana is covered in loving guns, it has all the guns, it never stops gunning 24/7. I don't overly like it because I find it a bit slow and fragile while lacking much punch in its guns but it's probably good against destroyers because it uses 130mm guns so you get good traverse on them.

Svet is good against destroyers but its golden moments are when another cruiser shows its sides near you. Stalin's lasers will citadel anything it can face (that isn't a german BB).

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

gently caress Pubbies? Team Was Too Heavy?

Shoulders Not Wide Enough.

Cobbsprite posted:

loving hell, the last five commander points to get Concealment Expert taking loving FOREVER to obtain.

Equal Speed Charlie London, Zulu Hotel, and Dragon Flags will ease the pain of getting them by quite a bit.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Prior to the BFT, EM and AFT nerfs, Kuma was absolutely ridiculously awesome. I loved it, the guns fired so fast and had long range, and were always on target. After the nerfs, it still isn't bad, but its more average and alot less fun. I sold it right after.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

playing a fubuki is hard in ranked
my team can never seem to exploit my having vision on the entire enemy team for the whole game

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
So whats the word on the new russian bote anyway?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

playing a fubuki is hard in ranked
my team can never seem to exploit my having vision on the entire enemy team for the whole game

I've found that actually tends to scare my teams rather than empower them

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I've found that actually tends to scare my teams rather than empower them

Ships that can shoot my ships and damage the paint are dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. And furthermore

wjs5 posted:

So whats the word on the new russian bote anyway?

Tier 7 Gremyashchy with Hatsuharu turret rotation time seems to be the general consensus on the Asia server.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Is it another sign I have spent too much money when WG gives me a "unique offer to buy the Yo Lang" for 6k gold in game.

Also, I bought the Leningrad. I like her when she's not reenacting Beaty's Battlecruisers at Jutland.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ZombieLenin posted:

Is it another sign I have spent too much money when WG gives me a "unique offer to buy the Yo Lang" for 6k gold in game.

Also, I bought the Leningrad. I like her when she's not reenacting Beaty's Battlecruisers at Jutland.

I got one of those for the Indianapolis a day after I bought my Atlanta. It expired after 15 minutes though, which seemed kinda dumb.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Trying to convince you to impulse buy without thinking too hard about it - or so goes my assumption. Though if they didn't actually mention it expired in only 15 minutes this kind of falls flat (or they're just bad at that).

Caved and bought Atago today, immediately went from 15-12 in six games (one first place loss among them). Probably just luck of the draw, but certainly felt nice after the hell of bouncing back and forth between 15 and 13 a few days ago in a different ship. And since I've been considering buying Atago for a long time now, not too bad of an impulse buy all things considered.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

Hello ranked people
play cruisers if you see 6+ DDs in queue
no seriously, pick an Atago or Chapayev, especially a chappy

You can bully DDs away from points, support pushes, radar and sonar are great against DDs, and you can still contribute to all the other fights. People seem to be stuck in a rut of "pick either Benson or Bismarck" and neglect bringing Radar, which fucks over DDs in smoke clouds or stationary BBs in clouds. With RADAR, your DDs will love you for breaking that early stalemate on the point (you reveal their DDs sitting in smoke, pushing them off cap or even killing them), your CAs will love you for lighting up people in clouds and giving them free shots, and your BBs will love you for exposing those broadside Kutuzovs sitting in their clouds ready to eat a Devastating Strike. With Sonar, you can at least pop it when you're being stalked by a DD to render their torpedoes mostly useless, and sometimes there will be a case where you can use it to spot through smoke clouds too.

Don't get stuck in a rut. Ranked is just as much about being flexible as it is about picking what will win. Last night, I swapped off my Fubuki to my AA SPEC NEW ORLEANS when I saw 2 CVs in queue. We ended up with a 600ish rating Lexington on our team, and a UNICUM Shoukaku player on theirs. Our Lex immediately boated off to the map boundary and sent his planes along the sides of the map trying to first strike. We won due to my RADAR lighting up a heavily smoked team, as well as my defensive fire scattering a crucial set of torpedo bombers and picking off other planes, and the sheer grit of our team to not give the match up.

Hell, last night my win rate was ~36%. I still rose from Rank 7 to Rank 6. Even if you're getting shitters, gun for top XP, and you can still see results. Even the shittiest Ranked grinders make 1 eventually. Winning a lot just makes it faster. Play normals with goons if you're burning out, of course. I recommend a relaxing session of Isokaze sealclubbing.

I've been using a Chapayev in ranked and its a pain. The instant I get spotted EVERYONE shoots at me. And its frustrating because if I try to creep into radar range of that smoke cloud, or that DD that I know is lurking near a cap, every loving time I glance at the minimap I see my friendly Battleships running away, so lucky me I get to tank everything. Stupid me I thought that maybe if I had 3 Bismarcks on my team, at least one of them would want to fight at 10km. I cant even get them to do that once ive killed the DDs. Nope they are all 18km away.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Lakedaimon posted:

I've been using a Chapayev in ranked and its a pain. The instant I get spotted EVERYONE shoots at me. And its frustrating because if I try to creep into radar range of that smoke cloud, or that DD that I know is lurking near a cap, every loving time I glance at the minimap I see my friendly Battleships running away, so lucky me I get to tank everything. Stupid me I thought that maybe if I had 3 Bismarcks on my team, at least one of them would want to fight at 10km. I cant even get them to do that once ive killed the DDs. Nope they are all 18km away.

A common mistake in this game is expecting your team to do anything productive and thinking that you won't have to do everything yourself. The chances of getting a squeamish battleship player or one that just charges straight in and eats an entire salvo of torpedoes is much higher than you would like to believe. It is mostly magnified due to ranked being 7v7.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lakedaimon posted:

Yeah, as a CA BBs will go nuts trying to kill you. Of course, you can use this to your advantage, by lighting yourself up on purpose when you're at a good range with plenty of room to maneuver, and draw fire from BBs and away from your own BBs. I do this occasionally in DDs as well, light myself up, have a BB point guns at me, then vanish before they fire (or just try to dodge it, of course you'll want some extra HP to try this). Getting a BB distracted opens up a lot of possibilities, if your torps aren't doing work. Sometimes when I open up on somebody in my Atago, they TURN to bring more guns on me, which can drag them out of a good angle and give my own ships a shot. Though in order to make that work, you need to be split off your team. It's all about knowing the flow of the match, if your team needs to close to gun down a DD, don't go off and do stupid poo poo like lighting yourself up 9km away from 2 bismarcks.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

My last game there was a Tirpitz on my team hiding about 25km away from the fight, behind an island because he needed to "heal up" before getting back in the fight. He had about 40k hp at the time. I had about 4k. I can see why everyone wants to use a Benson. Chappy does not have the turning radius to dodge fire from 5 ships at once.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Another 30 games and I am at rank.....10...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
lol at this Container poo poo
http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/public-test-0513-key-feature/
'Daily missions are going to be replaced with a more sophisticated and interactive system of Containers, which delivers more value to the players. Every player will now receive up to three containers daily, each filled with very different contents, from credits to rare premium ships. Containers drop in the event that a player earns a certain amount of XP (considering all possible modifiers).'

Yeah 'rare premium ships', like you'll ever get one of those.