Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Larrymer posted:

I'm in that majority. Same thing happened with BES at Bathurst last week. Don't know why I even tried.

Because you improve if you keep driving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Lifting out of a corner might cost you a couple seconds on one lap. Not lifting out of a corner might cost you the race.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

The Ring and Bathurst in any car is much like rookie miatas in that aspect. Don't crash --> decent finish

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I went the last 5 minutes of the race never going above about 70mph and still finished 4th. Even crashing, if you crash gently enough to keep the car moving, you're going to be in a good spot. Don't need a tow.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Why the hell is the skippy running three laps on the nurnburgring this week? :v:

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

Larrymer posted:

I think it would take me a full day of practicing the ring to be able to do it without loving up my car in the first half of the lap. I gave up on the gooncar race there and it'll probably be my drop week for the series. :( Sucks because it's an awesome track, but I am not an awesome driver.

If you hold Shift+R after crashing you reset at the start of that sector. Helps with learning the second half of the track.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's only in test and practice in case anyone was wondering.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

When you don't make it past the first sector, it doesn't help. :v:

Yeah, I shouldn't treat every corner like qualifying. Probably.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just drive slowly around the track to learn the corners. People like to say you can't learn all the corners because there are so many but that's wrong. You can learn lots of different race tracks and remember their corners, the ring is the same thing. Take it slowly and then speed up as you go along.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've only got one speed. 0 mph, dead into a wall.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Just drive slowly around the track to learn the corners. People like to say you can't learn all the corners because there are so many but that's wrong. You can learn lots of different race tracks and remember their corners, the ring is the same thing. Take it slowly and then speed up as you go along.

Those people have brain damage.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Cojawfee posted:

You can eventually but when there are 154 corners and you only drive each one once every 8 minutes you're not going to learn the track nearly as quickly or as in depth. I'm still just about at the stage of learning sectors with individual turns as landmarks where I know that "ok, this set of corners are all mid-speed, stick to third gear, then, when I get to the down hill left hander and the fast right and the next few are flat out EXCEPT for that right hander after the crest..."

One day I will know the optimal line and speed through every corner :unsmith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

To be fair, with the Ring it's not like you need to know every corner to perfection, and when you boil it down like that you've got a lot fewer critical corners to worry about with "varying degrees of straightness" in between.

The section from Hohe Acht to Dottinger-Hohe is loads of fun in the Skippy.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I remember it being really fun to hotlap but kinda crappy to actually race because of the draft lock. I think all this talk about it has broken me down though, I'll have to try some laps when I get home.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

It takes me a long time to memorize tracks, probably because I'm always high when I race. I feel like I have a decent handle on the first third or so of the Ring, after that I just drive carefully and pray.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be fair, with the Ring it's not like you need to know every corner to perfection, and when you boil it down like that you've got a lot fewer critical corners to worry about with "varying degrees of straightness" in between.

Bergwerk to Hedwigshohe is my weak point. If the lap is in thirds, I've got no issues on the 1st and 3rd sectors, with the 2nd sector being 'alright'. Starting from the right hander at Bergwerk, where my line is basically "slow down and eventually turn", I don't feel great for the next 90 seconds or so. Once we get to Hohe Acht, it's time to have some fun again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My weakest section is easily Adenauer Forst through Bergwerk, and the worst of that by far are those two endpoints. Everything in the middle I'm competent at, maybe a bit slow, but I cannot safely find speed in either Bergwerk or Adenauer... especially Adenauer.

Once you get past Bergwerk, you maaaaaaybe lift a tiny bit in the Skippy at Mutkurve, but you can mostly keep it pinned all the way to Steilstrecke.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Bergwerk to Hohe Acht has only two corners that aren't flat out, what am I missing here :confused:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Lord Crapulus posted:

Bergwerk to Hohe Acht has only two corners that aren't flat out, what am I missing here :confused:
THEY'RE loving HARD AS poo poo (also 3 corners)

There's only like what, 30 actual corners in the Skippy? The rest is just flat out or lift a little.

vv We're literally looking at a map right now.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Haha, you guys can all say the corner names and realize where they are at, but you cannot drive them. Focus on the driving more.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I had to check the map, I am a Ring poser.

Also that avatar is way too on the nose ohsh

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Lord Crapulus posted:

I had to check the map, I am a Ring poser.

I could look at the map for 20 years and not know what corner is what.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have the Ring pretty much memorised from the end of the straight to the first karussel. After that I got nothing.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Last time I did Gooncar at the Ring I binned it on 3 consecutive qual laps at Galgenkopf, even when I was 'taking it easy' the last time. I am very consistent.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

Qualifying is lame here. Ran slightly wide after 2 minutes and whoops that's it for another hour.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Gah just missed breaking 8 mins in qual, Ring is still :krad:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Vando posted:

Last time I did Gooncar at the Ring I binned it on 3 consecutive qual laps at Galgenkopf, even when I was 'taking it easy' the last time. I am very consistent.

You just found your line

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I bought the Ring and the Skippy and went out today, the only problem I had was poor turn in on Adenauer Forst and constantly running off into the grass in there.

Also, second vote for Hohe Acht to Dottinger-Hohe being an absolute blast in the Skippy. The whole thing flows from one turn to the next and it's really just a beautiful time. You can absolutely take a powernap on the straight following Dottinger-Hohe though.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

So apparently grass is slippery, I figured that one out all on my own :suicide:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
- -:- -.- - - invalid, pitted, off track, black flag, contact, car contact, lost control, discontinuity, tow

Yep, must be the Nordschleife.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

- -:- -.- - - invalid, pitted, off track, black flag, contact, car contact, lost control, discontinuity, tow

Yep, must be the Nordschleife.

So did you make it to sector three or did you manage to fit all of that before Flugplatz?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Science Goy posted:

So did you make it to sector three or did you manage to fit all of that before Flugplatz?

That sounds like me on the nordschleife.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

The Science Goy posted:

That's Crapulus's wreck. I don't go fast enough to wreck like that, I just 1x myself to death.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

That was all from the same thing; I went a tiny bit wide in Schwedenkreuz on the outside trying to make sure I didn't turn into the other guy, then the rears touched the grass and wheeeeeeee

e: still got fastest lap though thank god :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

After advice here I decided to join a race and just go slow and see what happened. 4th place, lol. Still only like 8:31 or so but faster than a tow.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

sure, rub it in

e: Ring week is also like the only time I get excited about time trials, but dammit I'M EXCITED ABOUT MY TIME TRIAL

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 12, 2016

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

TT optimal is under 8 minutes now, seemed to go a bit quicker once I changed SPO to 3 from 5, so could probably bring that down a bit more. Now I just need to manage a clean lap. And then I'm only 3.5 seconds slower than Crapulus..........

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I used SPO -2 for the Ring, really trying to avoid bottoming out. Got the optimal into the 55's, but couldn't put it together and just started crashing from pushing too hard, so I'll have to settle.

e: I had one goal for GoonCar: not crash into blk. Mission accomplished! ...since he wasn't there :v:

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 16, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Too busy putting his car on pole by 1.1 seconds and then blowing the motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

OhsH posted:

Too busy putting his car on pole by 1.1 seconds and then blowing the motor.

The iRacing website was loving up for me and wouldn't let me into gooncar but this sounds worse.