Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

You could call it "The Homerphone"

Why would that be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

Dream Phone Features (in no particular order):
Waterproof
1440p
No soft buttons
Bright screen
Active Stylus (literally no one has this though so it's "optional")
SD Card support
USB C
Wireless Charging support
No bloatware/Rootable OS/Timely updates
How many clocks should it display at once?

Serious answer, nothing ticks those boxes, or your original ones. Nexus 6P, Pixel (or XL) or HTC 10 are probably the options. Edit: Or OP3 I guess.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 11, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Why would that be?

it's a simpsons reference.

Real talk, though: the nexus 6's screen goes just about all the way down, plus the soft buttons can go away when looking at pictures or watching something. Physical buttons can't turn into extra screen real estate.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Have you seen the bottom bezel on a Nexus 6?

Seriously, where would a button fit on this?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Nexus 6 is also 2 generations behind, so it's better to focus on current phones :confused:

This really fucks over people who spent a lot of money on a Note 7, good job Samsung. I'll probably be forced back to an S7, ugh it's so awkwardly small.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

This really fucks over people who spent a lot of money on a Note 7, good job Samsung. I'll probably be forced back to an S7, ugh it's so awkwardly small.
My mom went back to her S3 a few weeks ago. It's apparently been rather jarring.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

To be fair to you, I looked and the Note 7 has crazy small bezels too, but if anything seems like that makes the buttons a little tougher to hit. Also lol: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Google-Nexus-6,Apple-iPhone-7-Plus/phones/8626,9816

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Proud Christian Mom posted:

death 2 phablets

Maybe this was a false flag operation by Samsung to get people to stop buying comically sized phones????

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I was looking forward to getting a Note 7 once they came back out since my 4 is getting long in the tooth at this point. I don't want to downgrade in screen size, and I don't want to go back to an iPhone either. LG v20 I guess?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

Have you seen the bottom bezel on a Nexus 6?

Yeah, the Nexus 6 and '14/15 Moto X were awesome in this regard. The front of these phones are pretty much all screen. Here's a picture of my 5.2" MotoX next to a 4.7" HTC M7:

Edit: Zenfone 3 actually looks like a Note 7.
5.7in AMOLED display
S821
6GB Ram
Mirco SD
23MP IMX318 camera with OIS/EIS/PDAF/Laser focus
and capacitive buttons on the bottom of the phone.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 11, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tunga posted:

How many clocks should it display at once?

Serious answer, nothing ticks those boxes, or your original ones. Nexus 6P, Pixel (or XL) or HTC 10 are probably the options. Edit: Or OP3 I guess.

The HTC 10 seemed somewhat close. I'll have to take a look.

RVProfootballer posted:

To be fair to you, I looked and the Note 7 has crazy small bezels too, but if anything seems like that makes the buttons a little tougher to hit. Also lol: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Google-Nexus-6,Apple-iPhone-7-Plus/phones/8626,9816

I've actually not had issues hitting the buttons, or using the phone at all, except for the usual "Swype thinks you swyped something else".

I'm also stuck on the devil's network of Verizon, too, so my phone selection is laughably small. If there's something really nice out there, though, I'd consider going to Project Fi and getting it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm also stuck on the devil's network of Verizon, too,
(gloomy Android fan high-five)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mental Hospitality posted:

Yeah, the Nexus 6 and '14/15 Moto X were awesome in this regard. The front of these phones are pretty much all screen. Here's a picture of my 5.2" MotoX next to a 4.7" HTC M7:

Edit: Zenfone 3 actually looks like a Note 7.
5.7in AMOLED display
S821
6GB Ram
Mirco SD
23MP IMX318 camera with OIS/EIS/PDAF/Laser focus
and capacitive buttons on the bottom of the phone.

Nitpicking here I guess but I wish the resolution was better than 1080p

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
For bezel chat, it looks like the pixel and XL have identically sized bezels, its just the screen size difference that changes the screen percentages.

Nodoze posted:

Nitpicking here I guess but I wish the resolution was better than 1080p
The Pixel being 1080p is a decent reason to jump to the XL. Yeah, 1080p is plenty for normal use, but if you want to use daydream....maybe its not?

If the Pixel had been 1440p on both I'd probably had dropped down to the smaller phone. Even if it would feel tiny after using the 6P for a year.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 11, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ilkhan posted:

The Pixel being 1080p is a decent reason to jump to the XL. Yeah, 1080p is plenty for normal use, but if you want to use daydream....maybe its not?

If the Pixel had been 1440p on both I'd probably had dropped down to the smaller phone. Even if it would feel tiny after using the 6P for a year.

Props to you and your eagle eyes if you can tell the difference between 1080 and 1440 on a 5 inch screen.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

Props to you and your eagle eyes if you can tell the difference between 1080 and 1440 on a 5 inch screen.

If you can't tell, you should get them checked. The sharpness is striking.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

When your eyes are 3 inches away its not that hard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

It does, in fact, matter for VR, but lol at VR.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

It does, in fact, matter for VR, but lol at VR.

Oh true. I can't not laugh when I see them at the mall. The cardboard stuff is cool, but the moment it stops looking like a viewmaster is when you look ridiculous. Are there any good uses of it yet?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

AlexDeGruven posted:

Galaxy Scribe

Galaxy Alexandria. :ironicat:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Oh true. I can't not laugh when I see them at the mall. The cardboard stuff is cool, but the moment it stops looking like a viewmaster is when you look ridiculous. Are there any good uses of it yet?
Shrug.

Pixel comes with a free viewer, so gonna try it at least. Hopefully its a step beyond the cardboard. At least it has a remote, now. It'll be impressive when it has a full controller and you are playing games in it.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
After a research filled weekend and a few hours or so rooting and rom'ing my old Nexus 4, I ended up buying a 6p off Amazon. I just couldn't wait the 6 weeks or so to get a Pixel, this N4 feels like a little baby's phone. Conversely, i am worried about how big the 6P is, it seems much taller than the LG G4 i'm coming from. Hopefully I made the right choice, though i'll get my G4 back in a few weeks once LG repairs it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Borrowed Ladder posted:

After a research filled weekend and a few hours or so rooting and rom'ing my old Nexus 4, I ended up buying a 6p off Amazon. I just couldn't wait the 6 weeks or so to get a Pixel, this N4 feels like a little baby's phone. Conversely, i am worried about how big the 6P is, it seems much taller than the LG G4 i'm coming from. Hopefully I made the right choice, though i'll get my G4 back in a few weeks once LG repairs it.

Yeah I ordered a 6P to replace my Note 7 because I can get that this week versus waiting for the Pixel. Also since I gotta have a bigphone it doesn't seem like the Pixel XL is worth the extra 300.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mister Macys posted:

Galaxy Alexandria. :ironicat:
:golfclap: Nicely done.

My ebony-and-pink Moto Pure will be arriving next week some time. I look forward to the lack of Verizon bloatware, and to the possibility of using it on GSM if I ever have to travel.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I look forward to the lack of Verizon bloatware, and to the possibility of using it on GSM if I ever have to travel.
Er, couldn't you do this with every Verizon phone sold in the last few years anyway?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Er, couldn't you do this with every Verizon phone sold in the last few years anyway?
My phone that just died was a few years back, and couldn't. (Boy, did that phone pick the wrong month to die. If it had chosen October rather than August, I'd have made much different buying decisions.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:lol: so our Rogers corporate rep not only had no idea Samsung was pausing/ceasing/discontinuing/anything the Note 7, they thought the replacements were all good after the first recall round and had no idea why I was reporting this.

This is going to be a long uphill battle......

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

How's the Axon 7?

Good screen, good build quality, good battery life, great audio, okay camera. It remains to be seen if ZTE can keep up on software but I'd assume at the very least Nougat is coming so it can actually use Daydream as it was touted ready for and there have been talks about supporting Cyanogenmod down the line. :shrug:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Return procedure for the Note 7 involves a fire resistant box and gloves. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pySvc17K2jE

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ooh, I'd love a fire-resistant box. Pity I bought from Verizon rather than Samsung.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Are there any case available for the Pixel yet that are worth it? I'd like to get the Apple Leather case in saddle brown for it, but I can't find it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wow, Verizon's website doesn't list any way to get a refund for the Note 7, just an exchange; other carriers are offering refunds.

I'll have to barge in in-person and say "No, I don't want another phone, no, I want a refund." Sigh.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

RIP, I was really hoping to keep this Note 7.

I guess I'll go to AT&T later today and replace it with a blackberry priv

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wow, Verizon's website doesn't list any way to get a refund for the Note 7, just an exchange; other carriers are offering refunds.

I'll have to barge in in-person and say "No, I don't want another phone, no, I want a refund." Sigh.

Go big red :toot:

They actually initially refused to do exchanges for the first recall unless you had your original box. I had to call their corporate line and have the person there call the store to authorize it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Quadrapellegiance posted:

This is the worst troll I've seen in this thread in a while.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is the worst troll I've seen in this thread in a while.

Not a troll. Before I bought this Note 7, I had two windows phones (lumia 920/1520) and a Blackberry Z10.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The two big black spaces your phone has at the top and bottom.

When Apple gets rid of their button next year, guess what Samsung will "innovate"? The same thing everyone else did five years ago. They might retain the exploding battery, seeing how it's the only thing they've got that's uniquely theirs.

People who buy Samsungs were always dumb, anyone buying one going forward is absolutely retarded. The thing about retarded though is there isn't a cure, keep shopping those specs!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Not a troll. Before I bought this Note 7, I had two windows phones (lumia 920/1520) and a Blackberry Z10.

Don't do it, goon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please do not get a Blackberry.

Also :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

RIP, I was really hoping to keep this Note 7.

Source your quotes