Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I just got the OnePlus 3 (originally wanted an Xperia Z5 Compact, but that's getting a bit dated and it doesn't look like there's a good small replacement) and it's pretty sweet so far. I can report back after a week or two if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

odiv posted:

I just got the OnePlus 3 (originally wanted an Xperia Z5 Compact, but that's getting a bit dated and it doesn't look like there's a good small replacement) and it's pretty sweet so far. I can report back after a week or two if you want.

I was looking for something under $400 CAD, but sure! Let us know how it goes.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My virgin plan went up too. I just got denied at superstore and they knew what I was trying to do. I just said whatever and left. I'm gonna see if my friend still works at the source but you think prairie plans will go up too?

Maybe I should just get an Ontario koodoo sim and self serve it to MB. Guy at superstore was saying now you need to call into koodo cs to prove your address dunno if it's true or a bluff.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Pickup an iPhone 6SE from koodo for cheap. Forget this android no update after 6 months nonsense.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-iphone-se-16gb-0-360-tab-64gb-100-360-tab-2041063/

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

slidebite posted:

Also, as I've never done this before how does one port their number over? What do I need to know?

I was surprised how easy it was. You have to provide a little extra information so they can confirm it's really you and you get a text saying your number was ported. Mine took a half hour, tops, though I saw some people say a few hours.

Sheeple
Nov 1, 2011

Housh posted:

My virgin plan went up too. I just got denied at superstore and they knew what I was trying to do. I just said whatever and left. I'm gonna see if my friend still works at the source but you think prairie plans will go up too?

Maybe I should just get an Ontario koodoo sim and self serve it to MB. Guy at superstore was saying now you need to call into koodo cs to prove your address dunno if it's true or a bluff.

I did the cheap sim plan self serve thing a few weeks ago. Worked fine, didnt talk to anyone. Switched over from Wind.

Now the trick is figuring out how to upgrade from my tired Nexus 5 without losing the plan or spending a thousand bucks.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Sheeple posted:

I did the cheap sim plan self serve thing a few weeks ago. Worked fine, didnt talk to anyone. Switched over from Wind.

Now the trick is figuring out how to upgrade from my tired Nexus 5 without losing the plan or spending a thousand bucks.
Cool. I'll buy a sim on a cheap Ontario post paid this weekend and do the self serve. Hopefully nothing changed.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sheeple posted:

In your position too for both. Now that I don't need to talk to a rep, I need get in on this ASAP.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

yippee cahier posted:

I was surprised how easy it was. You have to provide a little extra information so they can confirm it's really you and you get a text saying your number was ported. Mine took a half hour, tops, though I saw some people say a few hours.

Thanks. Just went through the motions. Set up my Public Mobile account, voicemail, but when I call my number it still goes to my Virgin VM. I'll just wait a while for it to filter through. But yeah, was really easy as long as it doesn't get hung up with virgin.
e: And just got a text from PM who say it's done and works fine.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 23, 2016

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe this is the wrong thread. My new condo only has cell reception right next to the windows. Can somebody point me toward a signal booster or some other solution that will work with Virgin Mobile? Or is it possible I can fix this by switching to Rogers? I got this one that does absolutely nothing at all so I think it must be incompatible in some way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure if it was mentioned here yet or not, but Public Mobility has announced that they will be offering US Roam packages in November.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Guess-What-Hint-We-had-to-update-our-Terms-of-Service-to-do-this/m-p/72566#M4670

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

xtal posted:

Maybe this is the wrong thread. My new condo only has cell reception right next to the windows. Can somebody point me toward a signal booster or some other solution that will work with Virgin Mobile? Or is it possible I can fix this by switching to Rogers? I got this one that does absolutely nothing at all so I think it must be incompatible in some way.

This one might work better since it claims Canadian carrier compatibility.

Edit: to be really sure you should look up which bands your carrier is using in your area (this can change even within a province) and which bands the booster supports.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

xtal posted:

Dunno if this applies to you (iPhone) but might be a quick fix:
http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/wifi-calling.html

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Evis posted:

This one might work better since it claims Canadian carrier compatibility.

Edit: to be really sure you should look up which bands your carrier is using in your area (this can change even within a province) and which bands the booster supports.

I was hoping there was something in the $200 range, but it might be the case that $399 is the starting price.

yippee cahier posted:

Dunno if this applies to you (iPhone) but might be a quick fix:
http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/wifi-calling.html

I wish it did but I use a Galaxy S6 and my next phone will be a Nexus. Looks like Rogers has wifi calling for Galaxy phones but that won't work with the Nexus.

xtal fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 23, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm on Fido month to month right now with unlimited talk + text to north america and 2GB for around $55 a month. I was thinking of changing to one of the "Pulse" plans so I could get the roaming (I do a couple week long biz trips to the states occasionally).

In the pulse plan it says "Unlimited minutes" but then it also says "unlimited evenings and weekends", so is the unlimited within Canada and the evenings and weekends to the US? They don't make it very clear, it's kind of annoying. I'd call but I would have to talk to a quebeccer.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

jm20 posted:

Pickup an iPhone 6SE from koodo for cheap. Forget this android no update after 6 months nonsense.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-iphone-se-16gb-0-360-tab-64gb-100-360-tab-2041063/

Thanks for this. This is an uncommonly good deal - got my folks to replace their ailing 4Ses with these.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

I'm on Fido month to month right now with unlimited talk + text to north america and 2GB for around $55 a month. I was thinking of changing to one of the "Pulse" plans so I could get the roaming (I do a couple week long biz trips to the states occasionally).

In the pulse plan it says "Unlimited minutes" but then it also says "unlimited evenings and weekends", so is the unlimited within Canada and the evenings and weekends to the US? They don't make it very clear, it's kind of annoying. I'd call but I would have to talk to a quebeccer.

I see unlimited Canada for $55 but you get USA too?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

I see unlimited Canada for $55 but you get USA too?

So when they say "unlimited evenings and weekends" that is to the us and unlimited within Canada always you figure?

Guess I should call em. Probably will just use a Roam mobility sim this time though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My virgin unlimited evenings and weekends was just Canada. I think USA calls were something like .40 minute or something like that. My public mobile plan has true unlimited Canada and USA all the time though for the same price which was one of the reasons I switched. I never even looked at fido until your post but don't see USA mentioned but I could just be looking in the wrong spot. The 2gb with unlimited calling including USA for $55 is really good though.

E: To be clear I am talking about calling the states from Canada not roaming in the states.

say tan
Sep 25, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
If I have a phone capable of LTE data and I'm still using my SIM card from my iPhone 4 I got in 2010, can I just walk into a Rogers store and get a new SIM card and have LTE capability on my new phone? It is unlocked and I've been using it for months without issue, but since LTE is a cool and good thing I may as well hop on the bandwagon.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It's just a new sim. See if you can smoothtalk a free simcard

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xtal posted:

I was hoping there was something in the $200 range, but it might be the case that $399 is the starting price.

I wish it did but I use a Galaxy S6 and my next phone will be a Nexus. Looks like Rogers has wifi calling for Galaxy phones but that won't work with the Nexus.

Rogers has their One Number wifi calling app that should work with any phone.

I don't know if it's really a reason to switch though.

VERTiG0 posted:

If I have a phone capable of LTE data and I'm still using my SIM card from my iPhone 4 I got in 2010, can I just walk into a Rogers store and get a new SIM card and have LTE capability on my new phone? It is unlocked and I've been using it for months without issue, but since LTE is a cool and good thing I may as well hop on the bandwagon.

Yes. It's $10 normally but in my experience the employees don't care enough to ring up a SIM card and have just given them to me.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I did the self serve method and got a MB plan. I'm just waiting 24hrs before porting my number over. There was some fine print that said the rate plan changes are subject to eligibility rules, based on area code and mailing address on the account. It also clearly stated that if you switch to an ineligible rate plan, the change is subject to reversal. I checked Howard and people were reporting this fine print appearing in April but it didn't seem to effect anyone. We'll see how far this goes I guess. I did everything legally and hey...I have work in Winnipeg sometimes so I need the number. ;)

edit: FLAWLESS VICTORY!!

Housh fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 30, 2016

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

My mobilicity phone is now saying I'm on 3g. Did we move to chatr already?

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Anyone know if something like this will work on AWS?

https://www.amazon.ca/Wilson-Electr...8V1AQ2G8ATV3NRH

I'm on Wind, and living in a basement suite. I only get max 3 bars in my bedroom but I spend most of my time in my living room.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I'm switching to public mobile, $38 a line is impossible to beat for value unless you are sk mb or qc

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Risky Bisquick posted:

I'm switching to public mobile, $38 a line is impossible to beat for value unless you are sk mb or qc

The 40 dollar plan is better then even the Sk plan.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I'm on chatr right now after being merged in from mobilitcity and I like it :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
This LTE-A is some good poo poo

I'm starting to see it around the Metrotown area in Vancouver, still not downtown though.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Risky Bisquick posted:

Ported 2 lines, no problems

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Visual voicemail hasn't been working on my new Koodo port. I'm paying for it and it's on the bill. Maybe it kicks in next cycle? The regular way works but when I go to set the new voicemail password in iOS settings, it freezes at saving password and just doesn't take.

I might cancel it then retry another month. Never had it but want to try.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is there any chance of wheedling a hardware upgrade out of Rogers if I'm still on the old 6GB plan?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Lazyhound posted:

Is there any chance of wheedling a hardware upgrade out of Rogers if I'm still on the old 6GB plan?

Probably not, rip.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Lazyhound posted:

When the iPhone 6S came out, Fido allowed me to upgrade (despite me having an old 6GB plan), but because the total amount of my plan per month was not above a certain threshold, they didn't subsidize it fully.

I was only $5 under. Moving to a new plan would've meant worse features and more money.

But yeah, if Rogers acts like Fido, they should let you upgrade but your subsidy will depend on your monthly plan.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
One of you works for one of the big 3, Godinster maybe? Any idea on Pixel availability dates up here?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Apparently the google store has CAD pricing. As for availability, I've heard between the 20th and three weeks from then.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Yeah, I'm undecided if I want to get it from Rogers or the Play Store directly, I don't really care as I'd probably pay full price/off-contract either way. Just interested in which one would have stock first.

Those Google Live Cases are pretty as gently caress too

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I'm undecided if I want to get it from Rogers or the Play Store directly, I don't really care as I'd probably pay full price/off-contract either way. Just interested in which one would have stock first.

It's the same warehouse in the backend. There's a guy in a cage at the warehouse who activates the phone if you order via Rogers/Bell/whoever. (He's in a cage for security since he's got access to be able to change people's phone billings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

One of you works for one of the big 3, Godinster maybe? Any idea on Pixel availability dates up here?

I actually work for the same company whose phone it is you're exchanging now. Times are fun.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 11, 2016