Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lozzle posted:

That's not really a good reason to resign.

A president who abuses his power over his subordinates for sexual purposes, even if the subordinate is okay with it, probably shouldn't be President.

It, unfortunately, would not just disqualify Slick Willy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

greatn posted:

Ok, true. But they could replace that with another anonymous voting mechanism

Anonymous voting sounds terrible when whipping votes is a central part of Congress' doing its job.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WampaLord posted:

What are your thoughts about JFK?

His behavior was pretty disgusting as well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

woke wedding drone posted:

If the president can't gently caress a willing subordinate without it being coercion, who can he commit adultery with?

Other heads of state.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I say that we should go back to the apportionment ratio intended by our founding fathers, 32,000:1.
That's a lot of people, so you'll have to change the rules to accommodate that, we've got smart people, the best people, we can figure it out.

And then to get rid of the spoiler effect entirely, we should use the single stochastic vote to select representatives. Just vote for who you want to win, strategic voting is impossible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
From the new NBC/WSJ poll even though Hillary is up 9 points she is only up 7 if you only look at the people polled on Monday (meaning after the debate). Of course that makes for a very small sample size. I'm not sure if that +7 is in the 4 way or h2h. Hopefully the 4 way. Either way she went a bit down.

On the other hand the new Morning Consult poll that was taken entirely post debate has Hillary up 5 points compared to the 4 points she was pre debate.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 11, 2016

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

withak posted:

Depends on how you define "fair". I had a HS civics teacher who thought that districts should be determined by a HS or CC programming class. Give them population density and road map data and have them minimize travel time between any two points in each district. I guess "fair" in that case would be making it easy for representatives to visit their entire district.

districts are bad and dumb and awful. period.

in order to have a "fair" district, you have to make them partisan. just having some CS nerd make a program that gives you districts that are roughly equal in population and compact isnt enough. those districts could still result in a 90/10 split in a state thats 60/40.

districts suck, they should go away

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

lozzle posted:

Anonymous voting sounds terrible when whipping votes is a central part of Congress' doing its job.

Isn't that what a voice vote basically is?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

lozzle posted:

That's not really a good reason to resign.

It's the ethical thing to do.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mcmagic is an idiot and voices votes are good, those are just some of my 🔥hot 🔥 takes for today

What is with the assumption that perfect/radical transparency and accountability are a priori goods?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Lamb Chowder posted:

Can someone give me the low down on the whole Juanita Brodderick thing? I don't want to be in the position of questioning a rape allegation, and obviously this stuff is behind doors, but it does destroy the image for someone that is in ways a role model figure for me if it's at all true.

From what I remember the accusation was made, then she signed an affidavit saying it didn't happen, then when the whole Lewinsky stuff came out Paula Jones coaxed Brodderick into making her accusation again. Apparently Ken Starr and the FBI did investigate it but found no evidence of anything happening? No clue if that's right, just what I remember piecing together from others bringing it up in this thread. It's one of those things where there's just no real way to be sure just what happened anymore due to the sheer age of the initial accusation. To be honest trying to go strongly in either direction isn't, for lack of a better way to put it, fair. Insisting it's wrong dismisses the possibility she is legit a victim, but calling Bill a rapist on the basis of a 30 year old accusation that was (as far as I remember, god I hope I'm remembering this right) never really substantiated with evidence of any kind isn't accurate either. Meanwhile the Lewinsky thing itself is ugly due to power dynamics making it really hard to all it consensual, but at the same time she's on record as saying it was and it doesn't really seem fair to completely remove their own opinion and statements on the matter. Bill is, at the very least, definitely an adulterer. Whether he's a rapist or not seems like the sort of thing that at this point will never be conclusively proven one way or another, but innocent until proven guilty and all that.

However none of this is is really the equivalent of being on tape bragging about sexually assaulting women and getting away with it mere months after marrying yet another woman who, IIRC, was pregnant at the time, no matter how much Trump desperately tries to deflect by pretending it is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

His behavior was pretty disgusting as well.

Should he have resigned? Or does it not matter because he was never "caught?"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Bill Clinton has done a lot of questionable things. At bare minimum the dude seems to have little problem engaging in questionable sexual experiences with people he has power over. He is a poor role model and unfortunately he gets whitewashed a fair bit because of popularity and because the legitimate claims get mixed with with honest ridiculous bullshit.

Yeah, rape allegations aside, Bill Clinton has done some pretty scummy stuff. I respect him as a politician, but as a person I'm not really a fan. Find a better role model

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

mcmagic posted:

It's the ethical thing to do.

zero presidents have behaved ethically at all times

this is a useless hill to die on

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't matter if it was consensual or if she was the one who initiated it. It was beneath the office.

"who cares about consent" -mcmagic

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you are the President of the United States or any serious politician and you can't keep your dick in your pants then you probably should't be.

We can call it the Weiner Rule.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Should he have resigned? Or does it not matter because he was never "caught?"

Yes he should have.

emdash posted:

zero presidents have behaved ethically at all times

this is a useless hill to die on

I mean it's just an intellectual exercise at this point anyway. Not really a hill to die on.

BiohazrD posted:

"who cares about consent" -mcmagic

Man, you're dumb.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

VikingofRock posted:

So does anyone have a good source debunking the "if a low-level person did what Clinton did with the emails, that person would be in jail" thing? It's probably the most common argument I see against Clinton on Facebook and it would be cool if politifact or snopes or someone did a takedown of it.

BiohazrD posted:

intentionally mishandling classified info is a crime, unintentionally doing so is an administrative action

a "normal" person would be fired/lose their security clearance. as she is no longer an employee they cant fire her, and lol at the idea of taking away the president's clearance

This. At the least you'd have your clearance taken away and you'd probably never work on government contracts again. If they can prove intent, they can go further.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

greatn posted:

I mean I guess. I didn't really think that through huh.

Maybe the whips are lipreaders with hidden cameras :tinfoil:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

mcmagic posted:

Yes he should have.

I mean it's just an intellectual exercise at this point anyway. Not really a hill to die on.

Man, you're dumb.

it's a worthless intellectual exercise then

I mean for the love of god, you never actually contribute any news or anything but contrarian sniping and derails to the thread. Please, please carefully consider your further posting

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Ciaphas posted:

What would a perfectly fair district map even look like?

A perfectly fair district map would probably be a weighted centroidal voronoi tessellation, aka CVT.

There have been papers on this very topic, as a CVT is a mathematically stable solution to capacity packing problems. CVTs occur in nature all the time, such as in bee honeycombs or fish nesting colonies.

It is a very fair solution to the problem that won't ever be used because it's very difficult to tilt it into your favor, not to mention the math would be sidelined as mumbo jumbo by politicians because it uses big words.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

greatn posted:

The voice vote is a weird informal tradition. It's supposed to be used when a vote is unanimous or near unanimous to speed up the legislative process.

If there are enough people yelling "Nay" they are supposed to proceed to regular order. It's not meant to be used primarily for anonymity.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

VikingofRock posted:

So does anyone have a good source debunking the "if a low-level person did what Clinton did with the emails, that person would be in jail" thing? It's probably the most common argument I see against Clinton on Facebook and it would be cool if politifact or snopes or someone did a takedown of it.

There are a number of rebuttals of varying complexity, but some tl;dr:

1) Cabinet heads legitimately operate under different rules. Work has to travel with them. A low level state department analyst would get in trouble if he took the wrong files home, but the SoS get's to because of very obvious reasons. The simple fact is being at that level does mean you operate according to different rules. A low level employee would also get in trouble if they, for instance, tried to dictate US foreign policy; which we all know the SoS get's away with all the time.

2) Most of the "look at this normal person who did was Clinton did and got in trouble" examples are either blatant mis-characterizations of their situations (I once saw someone trying to use Johnathan loving Pollard as an example) or people who were operating under vastly different rules like members of the military. The USMJ features much harsher and much stricter penalties than the rules governing the SoS.

3) Intent is a major consideration when it comes to criminal prosecution for situations like this. If it were shown she was trying to get secrets out or to let someone in by using her server then she'd be in trouble. But she wasn't. It was just a dumb mistake. Now people will try to say "She INTENDED to circumvent FOIA reporting and record keeping by using it" and the answer to that is: That's unprooven and even if it were circumventing FOIA isn't actually criminal. It'd carry sanctions or at least a reprimand but it's not a criminal act because FOIA is just bureaucratic record keeping. So not even the same ballpark.

There's others, and a long post I made months ago explaining some finer detail of how systems security is handled in the government, via my father's 30 years of experience as a sysadmin for various government agencies, which I can link, but that's a decent primer on your question.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

From the new NBC/WSJ poll even though Hillary is up 9 points she is only up 7 if you only look at the people polled on Monday (meaning after the debate). Of course that makes for a very small sample size. I'm not sure if that +7 is in the 4 way or h2h. Hopefully the 4 way. Either way she went a bit down.

On the other hand the new Morning Consult poll that was taken entirely post debate has Hillary up 5 points compared to the 4 points she was pre debate.

Four-way. I think we'll see some wild variance and probably things settling down around C+5ish? Maybe? Barring another massive oppo bomb, I don't think double digits is sustainable.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BiohazrD posted:

intentionally mishandling classified info is a crime, unintentionally doing so is an administrative action

a "normal" person would be fired/lose their security clearance. as she is no longer an employee they cant fire her, and lol at the idea of taking away the president's clearance

I want to say I've read a few military goons in this thread say this sort of low clearance info mishandling happens regularly and no one really gets beat up for it unless you are already on someone's poo poo list.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/AP/status/785907779009675264

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

iospace posted:

Four-way. I think we'll see some wild variance and probably things settling down around C+5ish? Maybe? Barring another massive oppo bomb, I don't think double digits is sustainable.

Though I also think it depends on how heavy the GOP civil strife gets. There IS a wing of the party that isn't (as) insane and if he turns to fighting them, and fighting the leadership, he'll both distract from actually campaigning and turn off other Rs.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It may not come as much of a consolation to some of you, but mcmagic is even worse at fantasy wizard card games than he is at discussing politics.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Get hosed you racist shitbag.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

WampaLord posted:

What are your thoughts about JFK?

my fav jfk thing was when he was quoted that if he didn't have sex every day he'd get terrible headaches

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

man

you uh

you guys remember when Trump made the papers for how he reacted when a woman had to breastfeed her baby???

we've come a long way since then, huh?

JFK had rad, drug-fueled pool parties despite his chronic health issues.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

greatn posted:

I think she may have actually been the one to initiate the thing. I read in an interview with her it started when she flashed him her butt during a party.

Yeah, she is a subordinate. And what happened to her is terrible. But she has always maintained that it was mutually consensual.

She may have known that for certain, but there is literally no way Clinton could have been completely certain that it wasn't coercive, to the point where he really shouldn't have gone for it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Trabisnikof posted:

Someone quote the good post (or are there 2) on this.

But the tldr is: they are wrong or talking about someone under military law

(Man, this is probably the best post I've ever made.)

Crain posted:

So, with the whole "Hillary used a PDA to order Drone Strikes" as the new chapter of the emailgateghazi-saga, I decided to ask my father what the hell was actually up with the whole thing. Specifically he is a CISO in a government Agency, has been a CIO, has been a webmaster, sys-admin, and most other computer and system security related title/job combos in the government since like the 70s. I know no one else who could have more experience with exactly what this is (As in literally out of all the people I personally know).

So the TL;DR he gave me was a break down of how FISMA (Federal Information Security Management Act) actually works in the day to day for basic users and higher ups (including Cabinet level positions). You may have heard or read this act mentioned in the OIG report that was link previously, it's a major consideration when it comes to whether or not Clinton did any wrong and whether or not what she did is actionable.

So here is how, as it was explained to me in very simple but flowery language, information security is supposed to work.

1) Thou shalt have a CIO. Every department, agency, regulatory agency, etc, whatever. If it's a stand alone entity it has to a CIO. The CIO is where the buck stops. When it comes to signing off on exceptions to FISMA and other security rules, it's up to the CIO to sign off on it.

2) Thou shalt have a CISO. You can have more than one, but you need at least one. The CISO generates a risk report based on what rules the end users want to ignore (because following all the rules of FISMA means you most likely cannot do your job if it involves a computer). Do you not want to do XYZ? Well the CISO figures out what the risks in that are. Then passes those risks onto the CIO to be approved.

3) Thou shalt have the Department of Commerce. Because reasons. These guys exist here to just tell the AO/DAA: "Yeah sure". They pass the buck.

4) Thou Shalt have a AO/DAA. The AO/DAA (Authorizing Officer/Designated Authorizing Authority), who is also a CIO, will...do the job of the CIO and sign off on approved ATOs (Authorization to Operate) because that's his job, but in this flow chart he is actually further down the list even though he's the head of the department.

So if you want to do something and it's against FISMA, which it most likely is, you go to your CISO. You say "Hey, we need this router to get a bunch of new hires online, but the WEP isn't working right. So can you sign off on this so we can use it anyway". So the CISO sits down and figures out all the ways that's a bad idea, all the rules you're violating, and then passes that up to the CIO to be approved/denied. If it's approved things move forward. Now if there is a Hack, the big men with guns, badges, and warrants show up, an IT investigator (forget the actual name for this guy) goes through what happened and goes through the list of official FISMA rules and goes "HEY! You didn't follow this rule! The Router wasn't protected right!". To that you say "I was given approval from the CIO to do this" and show the documents.

The men with badges now go to the CIO and ask "The gently caress!?". The CIO is now in trouble because he didn't follow FISMA rules. BUT! The next stage of the investigation is the FBI looking to see if this was done deliberately to facilitate said hack. They find nothing. But it was a criminal investigation. Now the punishment is simply having the funding revoked since the CIO did not spend the funding he was already given to adequately secure government systems. No one else gets in trouble, but they were all investigated.

Now what does this mean for Hillary? Well let's go back to what McAlister posted (sorry about the spelling I can't remember ). 1) The server was already existing prior to her becoming SoS, 2) She did attempt to enter into compliance for the server and blackberry she uses when she took office, and 3) the server was only for the unsecured .gov email, as far as any investigation has shown she has followed the procedure for accessing and using secured information. AKA: Used the burn rooms and skifs in compliance with stated rules like leaving blackberrys/devices outside of secure access rooms, etc.

Here is how that breaks down:

- If Hillary was doing this the CIO is in charge of stopping her. Even if rebuffed on it the CIO is who is responsible.
- Since Hillary did attempt to enter into compliance she is completely clear of any possible criminal charges. Hands down. She was not deliberately attempting to circumvent FISMA rules for the purpose of compromising security. And single 30 second meeting with the CIO of her asking "Can we secure and connect my mail server for work?" suffices. (if documented) ((it is documented)).
- Even if approval for bringing her server/blackberry into compliance was denied it is up to the CIO to stop her from accessing it and using it for work related activities. That's literally the CIO's Job. Caveat: That's if the CIO was aware of the situation. But: That is a weak stipulation since it is your job to know as CIO and The CIO(s) in question did know.

Final point about the Drone blackberry approvals: My father says there is a trump card to FISMA loosely known by "Beans, Blankets, and Bullets". Sometimes in a different order, sometimes with Bombs instead of Bullets. Basically: If it involves the Military and specifically the Military completing a mission then all rules are out. That's why you don't have soldiers calling in troop movements in emergency situations on unsecured lines getting in trouble with the FBI and some Military CIO, beyond just basic decency. So those drone approvals could have been sent by Western Union for all anyone cares.

Hope you found this extra bit of inside info from someone whose literal job it is/was to do this exact thing.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

:peanut:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my fav jfk thing was when he was quoted that if he didn't have sex every day he'd get terrible headaches

my fav jfk thing was that he had his mistresses gently caress his brothers while he watched

and they only refused when it was ted's turn after bobby

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

iospace posted:

If you are correct and the +7 is from the four way that means she only went down 4 points in a very small one day sample size. Remember the +14 was head to head, the four way was just +11. So that's really not so bad because it reflect Trumps small bounce back amoung Republicsns in the immediate post debate aftermath but doesn't reflect Trump declaring civil war against the GOP. So his meltdown is going to cause Hillarys numbers to again slowly rise.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

theflyingorc posted:

She may have known that for certain, but there is literally no way Clinton could have been completely certain that it wasn't coercive, to the point where he really shouldn't have gone for it.

This seems like a high bar. Should she have submitted a sworn affidavit before they made any sexual contact ? Her testimony to Starr indicates nothing less than a consensual relationship that she actively sought.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Winner is Jew posted:

my fav jfk thing was that he had his mistresses gently caress his brothers while he watched

and they only refused when it was ted's turn after bobby

Oswald did nothing wrong.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

loving about time, how long have they been threatening to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Other heads of state.

• Locked thread