Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dr Pepper posted:

The main reason I'm apprehensive about Eiko 1 is that I'm really afraid I'll only get a third Wizard Rod.

That just means you can make it an 8*+++ statstick! My Lullaby Rod has 126 magic and 144 mind without synergy :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr Pepper posted:

The main reason I'm apprehensive about Eiko 1 is that I'm really afraid I'll only get a third Wizard Rod.

Getting a third of an item is very good now. Twice as good as getting a second.

Getting a fourth blows though.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
For anyone that might still need it, I'm running Hope's BSB with FF7 synergy as my RW at eQv5. I'll switch back to Team Shout after the 7 event unless I have something else that would be more useful.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Given how easily you can find shout RWs now that we can refresh the list I'd say literally anything of niche usage is better nowadays ;)

You'll probably see less summons per day unless a fight where someone needs the niche is active but vOv

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Dr Pepper posted:

I have Kuja's gloves and a Wizard Rod. Guess what items I'm guaranteed to pull :negative:

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

IcePhoenix posted:

Given how easily you can find shout RWs now that we can refresh the list I'd say literally anything of niche usage is better nowadays ;)

You'll probably see less summons per day unless a fight where someone needs the niche is active but vOv

With Shout I only see about 3-5 summons a day, so I'm not worried about summon count; I'd rather run something niche that's useful to current events. It doesn't happen often but I'm glad to help out where I can :shobon:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Dr Pepper posted:

With Mage Meta making a strong comeback I'd be totally down for a 3rd Wizard Rod. Keep them separate for massive mage RS when there's a boss that requires it, and one day it can be combined/re-forged into a super-duper Mag stick.

I'm almost definitely pulling on the first banner despite being very well-off in IX synergy. I don't have a healer burst, nor a good physical SB in IX, nor Shout, and the Critical+ SB would be amazing considering how frequently I go with Shout meta.

I'd love to pull on the 2nd banner as well, but spending 100 Mythril now when there's X, III, XIV, OSB, and other hyped banners still to come would be wasteful.

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, my Divine Guardian with RS gear went from getting 4k~ most days and 6k+ on "everyone is battling Ultimates" days to under 2k a day since the refresh option was added.

Of course the gil isn't important at this stage of the game, but it's nice to see that I helped a bunch of people work through content. I've long-assumed that the majority would RW something with Hastega due to CM limitations, and Regen and Res+ tended to be very useful against most bosses, so I always stuck with Garnet as my RW. Once the CM shifts down to just U+ and the U++ becomes an A-Team task though, perhaps I'll rotate through Wall, Divine Guardian, and Bartz/Ramza BSBs depending on the optimal boss strategy.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beasteh posted:

I have Kuja's gloves and a Wizard Rod. Guess what items I'm guaranteed to pull :negative:

I'm probably going to get a 2nd Excalibur. Yeah, it's Steiner's sword I want, not his co-worker's. :shepface:

Speaking of Steiner, is stacking DEF the only way to make his SSB work? It seems pretty lovely if I just throw a bracer on him, his lifesiphons do more damage than his SSB.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kalensc posted:

Yeah, my Divine Guardian with RS gear went from getting 4k~ most days and 6k+ on "everyone is battling Ultimates" days to under 2k a day since the refresh option was added.

Of course the gil isn't important at this stage of the game, but it's nice to see that I helped a bunch of people work through content. I've long-assumed that the majority would RW something with Hastega due to CM limitations, and Regen and Res+ tended to be very useful against most bosses, so I always stuck with Garnet as my RW. Once the CM shifts down to just U+ and the U++ becomes an A-Team task though, perhaps I'll rotate through Wall, Divine Guardian, and Bartz/Ramza BSBs depending on the optimal boss strategy.

I just leave wall up because A: I'm lazy and B: there are a lot of hastegas going around nowadays and wall is getting replaced by the other new shiny SBs more and more as well. Also bonus C: My Edward Faithga + Hastega is completely outclassed by Sheepsong.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Kemix posted:

Spam Fire (except on the second one) and Holy. Save your SBs for the third one (since it counters ALL THE loving THINGS). Then burn down number four as fast as possible (I'd use your second RW wall here or on number 3) and make sure you have Full Break+Magic Breakdown on it at all times, if you have native Hestaga RW Wall and hope for the best. Your healer will have a hell of a time keeping up with just Curaja, so if you can bring someone with a percentage heal SB like Yuffie or Ramza. Other than that, all I can say is hope for the best, and keep your party as healed as you can without just burning uses for the sake of burning uses

Took about twenty tries and two people died with two more clinging to life but I mastered it. gently caress that fight.

If Diamond Weapon is significantly harder than that was, it's not happening for me. :(

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Man they really love Penelo's SSB for some reason. Her BSB hasn't even returned on non-fest banners since its debut.

Her BSB is really oddly offense-based (25p medica command and SB-level nuke command) with an attached cura medica whereas her SSB is a curaga medica. So. (Also, her SSB weapon gives +Holy.)

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I think Diamond is less harder and more utterly and totally different to the point of requiring basically a different team if you didn't just powder Dragon Zombie.

Now, I heard Meltigemini in the event upcoming is supposed to be meaner, and looked up a few videos.

So how do you guys feel about going through two 100k no-weakness lifebars of MT magic spamming Ultimate+ defenses jerks just to reach the ignore defenses spamming U++ Diamond Weapon-like at the end(who still has 180k life, but at least has two good weaknesses)? Who also has a defense hitting spell that hits like a truck, and counters everything randomly with ignore defenses physicals?

I really cannot imagine me beating that at my hones level. Clowns are scary. :smith:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

QuantaStarFire posted:

I'm probably going to get a 2nd Excalibur. Yeah, it's Steiner's sword I want, not his co-worker's. :shepface:

Speaking of Steiner, is stacking DEF the only way to make his SSB work? It seems pretty lovely if I just throw a bracer on him, his lifesiphons do more damage than his SSB.
getting good defense without sacrificing too much power is basically the only reason abilities like Steiner's SSB exist; if you're not doing that why use it at all?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

KataraniSword posted:

Her BSB is really oddly offense-based (25p medica command and SB-level nuke command) with an attached cura medica whereas her SSB is a curaga medica. So. (Also, her SSB weapon gives +Holy.)
I'm totally all about attacking white mages tbh. Selphie has opened my eyes; she does more damage than like half my team, her BSB attack command owns. I wish the healing command was a medica instead of a single target curaja + regen, but mag/mnd faithga for the whole party plus really respectable holy damage on the level of Pencil BSB is making her more and more valuable to my team. She obliterated dragon zombie almost on her own.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm totally all about attacking white mages tbh. Selphie has opened my eyes; she does more damage than like half my team, her BSB attack command owns. I wish the healing command was a medica instead of a single target curaja + regen, but mag/mnd faithga for the whole party plus really respectable holy damage on the level of Pencil BSB is making her more and more valuable to my team. She obliterated dragon zombie almost on her own.

If a BSB like that works for you, consider pulling on the second Larsa banner for Penelo's burst then, especially if you have her SSB (the weapon gives +Holy damage) - instead of the +MAG/MND on entry it's a medica (albeit only a Cura one) with the damage, the first command offers a +MND buff instead of Selphie's dispel, and the second command's medica is... not as strong as a shared, so you're looking at barely scraping four digits, but it's spammable if that's your thing.

If you don't have Penelo's SSB, though, consider Banner 1 for it instead. Again, +holy on the Selphie Burst you already have is just :getin:

The bonus with Penelo's is that Penelo can do things other than healbotting if you decide to run double white mages; Dancer 5 means you don't really need to bring along a supportbot in those cases.

EDIT:

SageAcrin posted:

I think Diamond is less harder and more utterly and totally different to the point of requiring basically a different team if you didn't just powder Dragon Zombie.

Now, I heard Meltigemini in the event upcoming is supposed to be meaner, and looked up a few videos.

So how do you guys feel about going through two 100k no-weakness lifebars of MT magic spamming Ultimate+ defenses jerks just to reach the ignore defenses spamming U++ Diamond Weapon-like at the end(who still has 180k life, but at least has two good weaknesses)? Who also has a defense hitting spell that hits like a truck, and counters everything randomly with ignore defenses physicals?

I really cannot imagine me beating that at my hones level. Clowns are scary. :smith:

From what I can tell, Meltigemini has very few gimmicks, is the thing. Yeah, it's a hone/gear check - especially for the CM, if you don't have one of the handful of FF9 hastegas and at least some form of damage boost, you're gonna have a real bad time - you want a Wall RW to soak up those Bios, for sure. But past that there's no roadblocks, just a damage race.

There's certainly no open/closed core shenanigans if you want to go in there with a physical A-team and curbstomp them.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 12, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

If a BSB like that works for you, consider pulling on the second Larsa banner for Penelo's burst then, especially if you have her SSB (the weapon gives +Holy damage) - instead of the +MAG/MND on entry it's a medica (albeit only a Cura one) with the damage, the first command offers a +MND buff instead of Selphie's dispel, and the second command's medica is... not as strong as a shared, so you're looking at barely scraping four digits, but it's spammable if that's your thing.

If you don't have Penelo's SSB, though, consider Banner 1 for it instead. Again, +holy on the Selphie Burst you already have is just :getin:

The bonus with Penelo's is that Penelo can do things other than healbotting if you decide to run double white mages; Dancer 5 means you don't really need to bring along a supportbot in those cases.

The Medica command should easily break four digits considering the MAG/MND buff and that Penelo can buff her own MND with command 1.

Also Evanescence does boost MAG/MND, but it's a 15% boost compared to Selphie's 30%. It just does a lot of things half-heartedly - Cura entry, and both the buff and the initial damage are weaker than Selphie's.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Medica command should easily break four digits considering the MAG/MND buff and that Penelo can buff her own MND with command 1.

Also Evanescence does boost MAG/MND, but it's a 15% boost compared to Selphie's 30%. It just does a lot of things half-heartedly - Cura entry, and both the buff and the initial damage are weaker than Selphie's.

Oh, it does? I'd missed that in the BSB description. Yeah, with a good staff and both a +15% MAG/MND and +15% MND, you should get decent shared-medica level healing on the second command.

The penalty is that it does a whole lof of things "meh", then. That and the inability for anyone to talk about the SB without wanting to make stupid jokes about how they can't wake up.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lucky Draw gave me Hope's first relic and nothing else. Oof

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Lucky draw report: Just Refia's Rising Sun, which is...a bad soul break.

Oh well! It's still a 5* thrown weapon and a +10 atk for Refia, plus III synergy is rare.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Kaiser Shield and Healing Staff (FFT) for the LD. I was hoping for some FFIII stuff or XIII armor but an Mblink Medica and my first Kaiser Shield is pretty great. :toot: Maybe I should pull for Ashe BSB or Kain BSB now, I had nothing planned for FFXII before (although Ashe's BSB was already a lightning boosting armor)

I now have 4 ATK/MAG down SBs (Fran, Fang, Wol, Agrias). It's almost like I'm collecting them on purpose.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Lucky draw: 3/11; Elder Staff, Ninurta (duplicate), Overture. Two BSBs for 25 mythril is a pretty nice rate even if I'm just smashing my two Ninurtas together.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
1/11, Ingus' Heroic Shield. Not a great pull since I already have his SSB, but it's synergy armour and another Hastega, I suppose.

Was hoping a bit for a Mustadio relic but alas. And XIII synergy continues to elude me. At least Eiko is around the corner to satisfy the trigger finger.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Meh but they are still five star items! Go away Golden Shield nobody likes you

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh well! It's still a 5* thrown weapon and a +10 atk for Refia, plus III synergy is rare.

Most respectably and politely I must tell you that you are very wrong. It's SSB level Single Target damage on top of Self Haste and ATK/DEF +35%. That will stick with stuff like Shout, Protector's Roar, and other multi-buffs except Hand of the Emperor and other similar buffs. Especially cool is she can stack it with her own default SB which is a +30% ATK/ACC buff, still completely unique to the entire game. Refia is able to self-buff to ridiculous levels and poo poo out damage and I'd even argue that it's just below Zell's Combat King for how good it is at allowing Lifebane abuse.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Physical synergy for XIII, and a +lightning shield. Sure. The SB makes Mog redundant, glad his RD isn't out yet cuz I might have invested in that for dragoon 5.

Yet another elemental boost that I don't have a matching elemental SB for though, lol. OTOH, once Lightning Dive is out I doubt I'll care too much.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm debating whether I want to skip this lucky draw or not. I already have a fuckload of XIII synergy, I have Plat Sword, and there'll be better III relics in OK's event which is, what, a month or so away?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

:woop: :woop: my awful XIII synergy is now a thing of the past.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Fang's Glaive, Raine's Gloves, and Delita's Maximilian. None of them Bursts, but I won't say no to any XIII soul breaks, and Delita's armor is at least decent. A worthy 25 mythril spent.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Agrias SSB, Hope BSB, and Fang BSB :getin:

It looks like Fang's imperil wind BSB is going to go really nice with my Bartz, who has an enwind SB and two pieces of +wind gear.

Now I just need to wait for the next event so I can get enough exp spheres to actually use these characters.

Edly fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 12, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Lucky gave me two Lust Daggers, a Break Blade and Winged Saint.

I repeatedly misread each and kept going "wait this draw is better than I think" over and over.

Trueblade clone with an element, hard hitting Sentinel skill and a decent Sent skill with Ice element=not bad at all for a draw I was dredging for synergy(and it's all in realms I literally have nothing in).

Lumen
Oct 12, 2009
3/11, with Ramza's Iga Blade, Arc's Holy Wand, and Sazh's Sirius Sidearms. Not a bad haul overall.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Arg, I knew I shouldn't pull.

I have now gotten every one of Fang's spears without ever pulling on a XIII banner. And I have a generic 5* FFXIII spear- FOUR XIII spears, and all different, arg! Also, every one of my G5 pulls so far has been 1/11.

It's a BSB, but her Atk&Mag breakdown SSB is arguably more useful. And I don't have any good Wind SBs to take advantage of the imperil. Hrmm.

I just wanted some better III or Tactics synergy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Time to get 7 mythril so I can do my Lucky Draw.

I know that the music for dungeon/party selection in realms tends to be world map music, but I can't help but wish that they had used this for Tactics.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Sure give me all the FF13 synergy I guess (+ something for Arc). That's actually the first relic I've gotten for a Dragoon at all, I think. I've been leaving Sky Grinder and Dragoon Jump at R1 all this time because I had little reason to hone them...

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Break Blade (III)(Dupe), Partisan(FFXIII), and Holy Wand(III).

I wish I could complain about synergy gear, but really a Medica and a stat stick for FF3 are alright. Partisan is my 3rd FFXIII relic, to go with Glaive and Hopes old SB. Could always be better though :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lucky Draw got me a dupe Vega and FFT's Main Gauche.

I'm never going to have a FFXIII Sword, am I. :negative:

kalensc posted:

With Mage Meta making a strong comeback I'd be totally down for a 3rd Wizard Rod. Keep them separate for massive mage RS when there's a boss that requires it, and one day it can be combined/re-forged into a super-duper Mag stick.

IX Mage RS is the last thing I need.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 12, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Punisher (Fang SSB) and Raines' Gloves (Raines SSB). Not a bad pull, for drat sure; an Imperil Holy will go nicely with Celes's Lightbringer. :getin:

I'm a little :psyduck: that the gloves are an actual mage fist, though; who can use MAG-oriented fists other than Raines, Reno, and Red XIII? (Tyro excepted, of course.)

EDIT: I suppose there's an argument to be made for handing them off to ninjaspell-Yuffie, if nothing else.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 12, 2016

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Nope, that SSB makes Refia into one of the best monks. Reconsider your opinion.

Edit: Got one also (dupe) along with Cid's cloak. More native Hastega yayyy?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

KataraniSword posted:

:
I'm a little :psyduck: that the gloves are an actual mage fist, though; who can use MAG-oriented fists other than Raines, Reno, and Red XIII? (Tyro excepted, of course.)

EDIT: I suppose there's an argument to be made for handing them off to ninjaspell-Yuffie, if nothing else.

You can give it to Jecht and have him use Memento Mori and Dark Zone. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

KataraniSword posted:

Punisher (Fang SSB) and Raines' Gloves (Raines SSB). Not a bad pull, for drat sure; an Imperil Holy will go nicely with Celes's Lightbringer. :getin:

Yuffie and Edge can use mage fists for Ninja shenanigans if you so choose. Later down the road we'll get Onion Knight and Vayne who can both go magic builds and use fists.

• Locked thread