Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

qntm posted:

Now someone post that last page from JLA #65.

Is it this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Yup. Thanks!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
old comic showed up on a tumblr dash

yes it's ANOTHER batman comic that ends with him sad about his parents being dead, but there's a lot else going on in this comic that I like and that's specific for the animated batman's character

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
TAXES.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't think there's a continuity where Gotham City is associated with 'happiness'.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pureauthor posted:

I don't think there's a continuity where Gotham City is associated with 'happiness'.

Yeah, we got a Bizzaro for dat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

This is the same Batman where his idea of play is beating up a skinny dude with no fighting abilities.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Batman is a rich dude to the bone

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Batman is a rich dude to the bone

I... know you're joking but it is just the Bruce Wayne persona of being a flighty billionaire with no real responsibility or work ethic.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think that the middle panels of all those pages could be replaced with pictures of Donald Trump and still have the same meaning.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Well you have to have a public policy and a private policy. :shrug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Those pages exemplify why I don't like Batman unless he's a supporting character.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The three panel sequence for friend/foe is the best part. Especially since it's the first honest answer he gives.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Gavok posted:

The three panel sequence for friend/foe is the best part. Especially since it's the first honest answer he gives.

I thought it was interesting, too, seeing the facade crack a little bit there.

I wonder how exhausting it has to be for him to play the role of "Bruce Wayne, shallow millionaire playboy" all day on top of all his time spent as Batman.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly of the various versions of Bruce Wayne that have been in the animated adaptations, The Batman's version is probably the best rendition, cause while he still does the whole Playboy Millionaire routine, they make his role in trying to improve Gotham outside of being Batman a lot more present and effective(probably helps that he's one of the saner versions of Bruce Wayne, as unlike most his public persona isn't all that different from either his private one, or indeed from his Batman persona)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Those pages exemplify why I don't like Batman unless he's a supporting character.

I love Batman in a universe that is just Batman, no extended Bat-family (Maybe Dick Grayson) or Justice League.

Just pure Batman.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Also, Bruce has a thing for Ivy for at least a panel. (my first answer for "green" would be either Riddler or Joker's hair)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

From today's Deadpool #20. Deadpool finds a young girl about to commit suicide from the top of the Uncanny Avengers' headquarters. He proceeds to stop her and distract her by taking her to a musical and along on a couple of crime fighting adventures and promises to let her go back after they're done. After the last adventure they end up here.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Good guy Deadpool is my favorite Deadpool.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hamilton may not be the best thing to show a suicidal person as it ends with the main character committing suicide via duel, but it's great anyway!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really appreciate the ending being "Deadpool takes her to get help knowing that is what she really needs and wants" rather than "Deadpool convinces her life is worth living and it solves everything!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We're exactly as strong as we think we are .

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I really appreciate the ending being "Deadpool takes her to get help knowing that is what she really needs and wants" rather than "Deadpool convinces her life is worth living and it solves everything!"

Yeah! It's sort of a riff on those stories with Superman or Mister Fantastic doing something similar and resolving it through words alone. Deadpool's solution is "how about I take you to a hospital?"

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret › I think you want to walk in. Will you walk with me? : Touching and inspiring panels thread

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, the message of "I can't save you, but I can help you find those who can" is JUST as inspiring of a message as any of the other "stop a suicidal" comics have had to say. :unsmith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't think the All Star Superman one is an over simplification or anything. He doesn't cure Reagan's depression, he just steps in and gives a powerful message that someone cares, especially powerful given who he is and how relatively minor an event that is in the grand scheme of things, but he's still taking the time to reach out to her.

Suicide is an impulsive act and I think the bit in rear end is more about reaching out in that particular moment than making everything better for the rest of her life.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I don't think the All Star Superman one is an over simplification or anything. He doesn't cure Reagan's depression, he just steps in and gives a powerful message that someone cares, especially powerful given who he is and how relatively minor an event that is in the grand scheme of things, but he's still taking the time to reach out to her.

Suicide is an impulsive act and I think the bit in rear end is more about reaching out in that particular moment than making everything better for the rest of her life.

The rear end moment is wonderful but it's important for comics to show that getting help isn't a weakness or crazy and you don't just need to 'realize life is worth living' to get over this sort of thing. An inspirational message is good but so is one that boils down to, simply, "it's okay to get help."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WickedHate posted:

I think that moment may have been done slightly better in the JSA run where Kingdom Come Superman was transported into their world right as the nuke went off in Kingdom Come and his first action while everyone was freaking out about him showing up was to run outside and stop someone from committing suicide.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not saying the Deadpool one is bad, and I like it a lot. Just put off slightly by the vibe that rear end did it wrong.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WickedHate posted:

I'm not saying the Deadpool one is bad, and I like it a lot. Just put off slightly by the vibe that rear end did it wrong.

Well, it's a little off-putting in that no matter how it's handled in a Superman comic, there is no Superman for suicidal people in the real world.

Meanwhile, as flawed and hosed up as Deadpool is, he took the time to distract a suicidal person while arranging for an opportunity for them to get help somewhere, and offered to go through it with them.

That is a huge difference from the magical/super-science solution.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Nothing Superman did was really enabled by his powers, aside from flying up there in the first place, which, sure, it sucks if it happens when you literally cannot know about it or get there or something, but I think focusing on that is missing the forest for the trees. It's like, a message about putting yourself out there and investing effort into someone to pull them off the deep end, at least for those critical seconds. "Be good unto others and every man can be a superman" etc. He even specifically pointed out her doctor was caught and traffic and did care.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wonder if that deadpool issue intentionally came out the week of mental health day

Or i guess i should say written because it would come out this week

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WickedHate posted:

Nothing Superman did was really enabled by his powers, aside from flying up there in the first place, which, sure, it sucks if it happens when you literally cannot know about it or get there or something, but I think focusing on that is missing the forest for the trees. It's like, a message about putting yourself out there and investing effort into someone to pull them off the deep end, at least for those critical seconds. "Be good unto others and every man can be a superman" etc. He even specifically pointed out her doctor was caught and traffic and did care.

The Kingdom Come version was. Dude outran the version of the Flash that was on the JSA, and the suicidal person had no doctor to turn to at the time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, I'm not talking about that one, although the idea that loneliness in those moments is circumstantial and someone would drop everything else to come to your aid if they were able is good in and of itself.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 13, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
From the last page of that Deadpool issue.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The rear end scene is good because it's a quintessential example of Superman helping, not because he's powerful, but because of who and what he is.

The Deadpool scene is good because the writer recognized that couldn't possibly work for Deadpool, and found a way that he could help anyway, and in a way that is both real and not often seen in cape comics.

They're both good scenes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hmm maybe I'll actually read an issue of deadpool

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Brownhat posted:

Good guy Deadpool is my favorite Deadpool.

SA Deadpool was my favorite Deadpool. :smith:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toshimo posted:

SA Deadpool was my favorite Deadpool. :smith:

You mean the poster? He's a mod now, unless something happened recently. He changed his name to X-O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret › I think you want to post. Will you :justpost:? : Touching and inspiring panels thread

There we go.